What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about Cutler now? (current info on pg 46) (3 Viewers)

Courtesy of candymanvandyfan:

candymanvandyfan said:
1)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/Jdf6G

These are all the quarterbacks who through their first five seasons, age 27 or younger, have thrown more than 100 touchdowns:

Manning

Marino

Bledsoe

Cutler

Everett

Roethlisberger

Favre

Unitas

2)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/AOtSj

These are all the quarterbacks who through their first five seasons, age 27 or younger, have completed more than 1300 passes:

Manning

Marino

Cutler

Bledsoe

Favre

3)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/lA8n7

These are all the quarterbacks who through their first five seasons, age 27 or younger, have passed for more than 15000 yards:

Manning

Marino

Bledsoe

Cutler

Namath

Everett

4)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/oAVt8

These are all the quarterbacks who through their first five seasons, age 27 or younger, have a completion percentage 61% or over (minimum 1900 attempts):

Manning

Cutler

Roethlisberger

Favre

Brady

Aikman

5)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/L7Kzy

These are all the quarterbacks who through their first five seasons, age 27 or younger, have a passer rating 80 or over (minimum 1900 attempts):

Manning

Marino

Cutler

Everett

Roethlisberger

Favre

Brady

Kosar

Aikman

6) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/rUzsc

These are all the quarterbacks who through their first five seasons, age 27 or younger, have thrown for over 15000 yards and rushed for over 500 yards.

Cutler

Manning

7) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/yYZYc

These are all the quarterbacks who through their first five seasons, age 27 or younger, have thrown for over 100 touchdowns and rushed for over 4 yards per attempt:

Cutler

Favre

Unitas

8) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/CSA30

These are all the quarterbacks who through their first five seasons, age 27 or younger, average over 225 yards per game passing (minimum 1900 attempts):

Manning

Marino

Cutler

Everett

Favre

Bledsoe

9) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny/DLzhk

These are all the quarterbacks who, age 25 or younger, threw for over 4500 yards in a single season:

Marino

Bledsoe

Cutler

Lomax

He's doing all right at this point, I think, statistics-wise despite not having sterling receivers, a great line or a consistent offensive system.

Hopefully some more stability in offensive systems and a professional offensive-line will help Jay continue to have a fine career.
Still think he's below average?

Had a pick dropped in the red zone but recovered and finished with a pretty good stat line.
That was a ridiculously easy pick the defender dropped. After viewing the replay it looked to me like Cutler was expecting Knox to cross in front of the defender instead of behind. If Knox goes in front it's at least a completion to the 1 yard line and possibly a TD. The way Knox went behind the defender it should have been an INT and possibly 6 points for Seattle. I'm just glad he dropped it.

Had a pick dropped in the red zone but recovered and finished with a pretty good stat line.
That was a ridiculously easy pick the defender dropped. After viewing the replay it looked to me like Cutler was expecting Knox to cross in front of the defender instead of behind. If Knox goes in front it's at least a completion to the 1 yard line and possibly a TD. The way Knox went behind the defender it should have been an INT and possibly 6 points for Seattle. I'm just glad he dropped it.
Yeah, I'm certain that was the case. Knox needs to put his QB in a position to succeed. Just not a smart read on Knox's part but Cutler still has to make higher percentage assumptions in that case. That would have been a terrible place for a pick but that never stopped Favre or even Marino for playing the game that way.

Out of curiosity, what other NFL quarterbacks also threw a touchdown pass on their first postseason attempt? I know Kurt Warner did back following the '99 season (a TD pass to Bruce against the Vikings), but anyone else?

I still remember all the Broncos fans gloating about the Cutler trade with Orton. I think it panned out pretty good for us.

I still remember all the Broncos fans gloating about the Cutler trade with Orton. I think it panned out pretty good for us.
At best people were saying the Broncos did well to get an underrated QB with potential in return.I'll give Cutler credit for lessening boneheaded play toward the end of the season, but he still hasn't been all that impressive. I'm far more impressed with Forte's turnaround than Cutler's. Heck, Martz makes every QB look amazing, the fact it took so long for Cutler to catch on is a negative, not a positive.

At best people were saying the Broncos did well to get an underrated QB with potential in return.I'll give Cutler credit for lessening boneheaded play toward the end of the season, but he still hasn't been all that impressive. I'm far more impressed with Forte's turnaround than Cutler's. Heck, Martz makes every QB look amazing, the fact it took so long for Cutler to catch on is a negative, not a positive.
:thumbup: We can always count on you Switz.

Jay Cutler is still not a proven commodity but considering the black hole that has been the Bears QB position for such a long time...if I were a Bears fan I'd be pretty happy.

I broke dress code and wore my Cutler jersey to work today. No one is complaining though. I think he's caught on a little in Chicago.

I still remember all the Broncos fans gloating about the Cutler trade with Orton.
:lmao: I am pretty sure all Broncos fans did not gloat about that trade, and all Broncos fans were not happy with it.
Exactly!!I wish the name McDaniels was never, ever associated with the Broncos. :shrug:
Plus, remembering the trade as Cutler for Orton is pretty disingenuous. What Denver did with the picks is another story... but the trade itself was not one-for-one. If anything, Orton was a toss-in at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still remember all the Broncos fans gloating about the Cutler trade with Orton.
:thumbdown: I am pretty sure all Broncos fans did not gloat about that trade, and all Broncos fans were not happy with it.
Exactly!!I wish the name McDaniels was never, ever associated with the Broncos. :thumbdown:
The problem with Broncos fan (and I am one) is we focused on what we gave up. Not on what we could of gotten in return. Orton has outplayed Cutler, and Denver so far missed on the picks. But if we had to do it over again. I still think it was the right deal. I would hope we would draft different.You can hate McDaniels for a lot of other things, but the Cutler deal is not one of them.

Cutler is a quitter, that's what he is. He cemented my opinion of him today. No leadership, no passion, and no friends. You can't have that at the QB position.

Cutler is a quitter, that's what he is. He cemented my opinion of him today. No leadership, no passion, and no friends. You can't have that at the QB position.
LMAO @ the bolded. Wtf does that have to do with anything and how do you even know this?
Truth - I'm a little stoned. But it does seem like nobody likes the guy. He's always alone on the sidelines. The guy's a walking depression. Doesn't make for a dynamic team does it.

A rating system that says Josh Freeman is already better than Philip Rivers and Ben Roethlisberger settles it all? Okay. :lmao:

I guess we'll ignore Cutler having the 8th best rating of the past three seasons based on that ratings system, right? :lol: According to that system, Cutler's best season is better than any season Aaron Rodgers has ever had.

The hate on this guy is out of control. It's just so easy for internet tough guys to say "I would've played on a broken leg, argghh". People nitpick his almost int's more than any other QB. Did anyone notice how many dropped int's Brees had vs. GB?

I would still temper my enthusiasm a little if I were a Bears fan because it is one game. And Atl is a soft overrated team that doesn't deserve to be favored vs any above average team on the road.

He was never as good as the Bears fans thought when he arrive in the trade, nor nearly as bad as they thought in his low moments.

He's very talented and as a Packers fan I think the Bears were wise to get him.

He was never as good as the Bears fans thought when he arrive in the trade...
:no: As a Bear's fan, I haven't been disappointed in Cutler (save for some of the red-zone turnovers in his first season here). For the most part it is fairly obvious that he as a very capable NFL QB and by far the most talented the Bears have had in decades.The problem is that many people expected his production to look like it did in Denver....when he had Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal to throw to. Here is the irony:

Some have said "Good QBs make the players around them better...look at the Bears, Cutler can't do that!" Really? How fantasy-relevant have Marshall and Royal (or even Scheffler) been without Cutler? IMHO, Cutler can make NFL WRs look just fine and even mediocre WR prospects shine - Johnny Knox, an undersized 5th round pick from a small college had almost 1,000 yards in his 2nd season with Cutler throwing him the ball. You can't make chicken salad with some of the chicken stuff Cutler has been handed as WRs. This offseason the Bears brought in Roy Eek Williams - and replaced the 5th round pick that went for almost 1k last season with him. Yesterday, Cutler even made Roy look like a capable NFL WR.

And someone chimes in with the brilliant comment "he threw a pick 6" - Really? First off, if you watched the game, it was a tipped pass that a defensive tackle then made an amazingly athletic play on. Secondly, that was his only INT. Here's are some of QBs that had MORE than 1 INT yesterday: Rivers, Roeth and Schaub - and those 3 QBs have just a little bit more talent at WR/TE than Cutler does.

Actually, I find it quite amusing that Cutler continues to get crucified for every little mistake, while many other QBs are given a pass (no pun intended) for worse stats, worse performances and lesser playoff success with far better surrounding casts (Romo, Schaub, Rivers, etc.) Even Eli of late - Cutler is known for his "pick" problem - he threw 16 last season, while Eli threw 25.

No, as a Bears fan I have no problem with Cutler or his perfomance. I do take issue with what the Bears have put around him and anyone that expects production like they saw in Denver might have to wait until he gets more than the Island of Misfit WRs the Bears have assembled...although if he can make a 5th round, skinny kid from Abilene Christian go for 950+ and 5 TDs in his 2nd season, you never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
And someone chimes in with the brilliant comment "he threw a pick 6" - Really? First off, if you watched the game, it was a tipped pass that a defensive tackle then made an amazingly athletic play on. Secondly, that was his only INT. Here's are some of QBs that had MORE than 1 INT yesterday: Rivers, Roeth and Schaub - and those 3 QBs have just a little bit more talent at WR/TE than Cutler does. Actually, I find it quite amusing that Cutler continues to get crucified for every little mistake,
I chimed in with it.Saw the play.Still a pick 6...still on the QB (number of others could have easily been picked)...Those 3 otehr QBs made mistakes too.What I find amusing is that no matter what happens, there will also be those that excuse Cutler no matter what he does.There is always some excuse for his mistakes.I said he played a good game.He did...made some darn good throws.Also made several errors that could have killed them. I don't think he will have the luxury of those types of mistakes next week...or the week after.

And someone chimes in with the brilliant comment "he threw a pick 6" - Really? First off, if you watched the game, it was a tipped pass that a defensive tackle then made an amazingly athletic play on. Secondly, that was his only INT. Here's are some of QBs that had MORE than 1 INT yesterday: Rivers, Roeth and Schaub - and those 3 QBs have just a little bit more talent at WR/TE than Cutler does. Actually, I find it quite amusing that Cutler continues to get crucified for every little mistake,
I chimed in with it.Saw the play.Still a pick 6...still on the QB (number of others could have easily been picked)...Those 3 otehr QBs made mistakes too.What I find amusing is that no matter what happens, there will also be those that excuse Cutler no matter what he does.There is always some excuse for his mistakes.I said he played a good game.He did...made some darn good throws.Also made several errors that could have killed them. I don't think he will have the luxury of those types of mistakes next week...or the week after.
But the mighty, high-flying Falcons were the #1 seed last year. Some felt the best team in the NFC - and certainly one of the best offensive teams in the league - especially with the addition of Julio Jones....and yet they scored ZERO offensive TDs yesterday.I think Cutler can afford a mistake or two to a team that hasn't put up more than 17 against the Bears in their last 3 meetings. Cutler may not be Brees (or Rodgers) but the Packers wont be playing the Saints defense either.I'm not excusing Cutler for what he does, just simply suggesting that because he doesn't suck up to the media, and gets unjustly judged for stuff that has nothing to do with his on field perfomance, that he sometimes gets wrongly criticized for making mistakes that often glossed-over when other QBs make similar (or worse) mistakes. I mean seiously - if you watched the game, you saw the look on his face as he walked off the field at the two minute warning. Was he smiling? No. He looked pissed off and disappointed...and the Bears were up by 18 points and well on their way to a convincing win over the much-hyped Falcons. If they would have been down by 18, some goof would have been in this thread posting some nonsense about his "body language and leadership". The Steelers got crushed yesterday and Big Ben threw 3 picks...and somehow will still be considered a better QB and a better human being than Cutler. Nope - not a Cutler defender. Just noticing the fact that for some reason (some listed above) law breakers, womanizers and QBs that accomplish less with better surrounding talent get less hate thrown their way than a QB helped lead his team to a division crown and the NFC title game last season. :shrug:

I like Cutler and think he gets some unfair criticism, morseo than your average NFL starter (some of it comes with the territory of course). Cutler is far better and more dangerous than anything the Bears had or were likely to get, so I think hating on him is pretty pointless. That being said, I don't think he'll ever be an elite QB because he throws too many dangerous passes relying on his arm strength and a great play by the receiver to bail him out... he doesn't have a great receiver and his arm strength is trumped by great DB play at this level as often as not. If he had AJ or Fitzy going after his passes he could probably get away with more- but that's irrelevant. He doesnt have those guys and he should be disciplined enough to know he doesn't and adjust accordingly. The Bears can win the majority of their games by simply not turning the ball over. Yeah- they need the offense to chip in against the real opponents, but they can do that without scoring 27 points (or trying to). I wish Cutler would just tone it down and take what is there- you don't see the great QBs trying to force those throws, they live to fight another down.

Cutler will have a few more games just like that one - and then he will have a few where he blows. He simply is not in the top tier of QB.

He can lead Chicago to a SB win - they are good enough to win. Still won't make him a top QB.

I like Cutler and think he gets some unfair criticism, morseo than your average NFL starter (some of it comes with the territory of course). Cutler is far better and more dangerous than anything the Bears had or were likely to get, so I think hating on him is pretty pointless. That being said, I don't think he'll ever be an elite QB because he throws too many dangerous passes relying on his arm strength and a great play by the receiver to bail him out... he doesn't have a great receiver and his arm strength is trumped by great DB play at this level as often as not. If he had AJ or Fitzy going after his passes he could probably get away with more- but that's irrelevant. He doesnt have those guys and he should be disciplined enough to know he doesn't and adjust accordingly. The Bears can win the majority of their games by simply not turning the ball over. Yeah- they need the offense to chip in against the real opponents, but they can do that without scoring 27 points (or trying to). I wish Cutler would just tone it down and take what is there- you don't see the great QBs trying to force those throws, they live to fight another down.
:goodposting:
Cutler will have a few more games just like that one - and then he will have a few where he blows. He simply is not in the top tier of QB.
Agreed, but I think just about everyone agrees that he is not a top tier QB. At his best, Cutler is a great player, but at his worst, he is mediocre. Consistency is what he should be striving for.

I drafted him as my #1 QB in a number of leagues and I'm obviously very happy so far. Minus the 2-3 games that he either missed or was knocked out of from the beginning last season he was on pace to finish right around top 10 with numbers roughly similar to Eli. I thought the key to his season was the installment of the blocking TEs to help protect him plus he is a proven QB who has shown the ability to finish very close to the elite options in the game and I was able to draft him very late!

I'm sure it has nothing to do with you being a Packers fan :rolleyes: I've tried to have constructive conversations for years about Packers players, only to see multiple excuses come up. Carry on though

The criticism may not be fair, in a bubble, but given the situation I feel it is justified. We gave 2 firsts, a third and a decent starting QB (one already capable of what you describe needing to above). When you pay that much for a player, expectations are high and justifiably so. At that price, he is required to be an elite QB. He isn't. So he gets criticized, and will continue to.

The criticism may not be fair, in a bubble, but given the situation I feel it is justified. We gave 2 firsts, a third and a decent starting QB (one already capable of what you describe needing to above). When you pay that much for a player, expectations are high and justifiably so. At that price, he is required to be an elite QB. He isn't. So he gets criticized, and will continue to.
NFC Championship isn't elite?

Interesting. Orton was an average QB when with the Bears. Moves to Denver where they actually have an offensive line, some decent NFL WRs (who have actually, you know, played WR in the NFL...and even in college and stuff) - and now he's a very good QB. Cutler is a ProBowler in Denver (again, with an O-line and WRs) comes to Chicago and is "only" very good - doing his part to take them to the NFC title game.BTW, how much did the Bears charge you when they traded for Cutler? Incidentally, you realize we got a pick back in that trade - and that pick was used on Johnny Knox, right?

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
'tenaka said:
'mbuehner said:
NFC Championship isn't elite?
No, having the defense and special teams carry you to the NFC championship game doesn't make you an elite QB. What a silly argument.

'DoubleG said:
'tenaka said:
'mbuehner said:
Interesting. Orton was an average QB when with the Bears. Moves to Denver where they actually have an offensive line, some decent NFL WRs (who have actually, you know, played WR in the NFL...and even in college and stuff) - and now he's a very good QB. Cutler is a ProBowler in Denver (again, with an O-line and WRs) comes to Chicago and is "only" very good - doing his part to take them to the NFC title game.
While Orton had a good defense in Chicago, he didn't have what Cutler had last year with Peppers added to the team. It sounds like you basically just argued that the two are interchangeable. Exactly why Cutler gets criticized.
'DoubleG said:
BTW, how much did the Bears charge you when they traded for Cutler?
:yawn:
'DoubleG said:
Incidentally, you realize we got a pick back in that trade - and that pick was used on Johnny Knox, right?
Yes, the tired "we got Knox too" argument. We did have another 5th rounder. If we were really so smart and really liked Knox so much we would have used that to still get him. Oh and isn't this the same Knox whose "fault" it is that Cutler throws interceptions? So why do we even want him? What's next, pointing out once again that JA is worse at drafting than Matt Millen so those first rounders are actually worthless?2 other times in NFL history have multiple first rounders been given up for a player. Let me know when Cutler is the next Peyton Manning. Hell, let me know when Cutler is the next Eli Manning. He's an average starting NFl QB. We already had one.

The defense was definitely the biggest strength of the team last year, but Cutler came up big in some of their most important wins of the season (the win vs. Philly which gave them the tiebreaker over the Eagles and enabled them to get the 2 seed and the bye, the win over the Jets in week 16 that clinched the bye, the playoff win, etc.). It is not like the defense dragged a crappy QB to the title game.

Overall, I'd agree that Cutler right now is an average NFL starting QB (I'd put him at the high end of the 14-18 range), but he has shown that he can be better than that; he just needs to stop having those occasional games where it is like he turned into Trent Dilfer (throwing horrible picks).

Users who are viewing this thread