What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long before Deangelo Williams (1 Viewer)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
Obviously people are a bit undecided about this guys overall talent and ability to succeed at this level. I am not though and Foster is injury prone. Even if Foster remains healthy I see Williams taking over for him as soon as he learns to pass protect. I say by week 9 this year. Earlier if Foster gets injured before then.

Fox must remember Tiki Barber. A player I think compares well to what I think D. Williams is capable of doing. It may take him some time to become the bonifide feature back without losing significant carries but I don't think it will take as long for him as it did for Tiki.

Does anyone think Foster can keep Williams on the bench?

Will Shelton have a role?

How do you see Williams being used in this offense in 2006 and beyond?

I think unless Williams has a monster camp, Foster will be the lead dog until he gets hurt (highly probable) or is ineffective (not out of the question either).

But once Williams takes the job, I think it's his for good.

I would agree with your statement about Week 9 or so, but then why did Carolina resign Foster to a long deal in the offseason? I fear that this may be a RBBC for a few years which is a little troubling...

I think the only way Williams will take Foster's job, at least this year, is if Foster gets hurt. If given the opportunity, I expect Foster to be productive enough to keep the job. Williams' presense might just light a fire under his ### like some people seem to think Cedric Benson did for Thomas Jones last year.

I'm also not quite as sold on Williams as some are, because his blocking technique is horrible and he's also had a few injuries that last couple years. I know some people love the guy, though.

I would agree with your statement about Week 9 or so, but then why did Carolina resign Foster to a long deal in the offseason? I fear that this may be a RBBC for a few years which is a little troubling...
Foster's deal is basically one year. They can cut him with little financial repercussions.

DeShaun signed a 3 year 14.5 million contract. He got 4.5 million as a signing bonus. I don't really consider that a long deal. I do think DeShaun will be the primary ball carrier as long as he stays healthy. The Panthers have stood by him the last few seasons, then resigned him, so they have faith in him. I think if Williams catches on early and looks good, he will be used to spell Foster, and be used in certain plays. Unfortunately for DeShaun he is high risk for injury, although some of that has been bad luck, but injuries seem to follow him around like that dirt cloud follows around Pigpen. The Panther rb's seem to drop like flies, so I hope Williams will work out well. The more good rb's on the team, the better. As I said though, I think DeShaun will be the primary ball carrier this year barring injury.

IMHO, No.Shelton looked awful last year and I doubted before the draft whether he would even make the roster this season. Foster was signed to a nice contract and is the starter, Williams was drafted in the first round, so both will be on the team. Goings is a proven back-up and Robertson really made a good impression last year. My guess is that Shelton will be the odd man out.

I could see them giving Foster one last chance with him receiving over 5 million this year in bonus money and salary. I could also see them opening this thing up to competition between the two in training camp. Let's see what the coach says. Chicago said that Jones is their starter after drafting Benson. Usually a team says the guy who performs best in camp will get the job. The latter is a good indication that the rookie will start before long.

Anything but a RBBC and I'll be happy..

But either way it can't be long before Foster gets hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the first two posts here. As a Memphian & Tiger fan, I've seen Deangelo play most of his college games. He's gonna be something special when he gets his opportunity.

I think you'll see Foster start this year barring any maladies, with Williams thrown in to spell him initially until he gets used to the speed of the NFL. They both play the same type game, with Foster (6'0, 222lbs) listed as a larger player than Williams (5'10, 214lbs). Both are homerun threats that can catch well.

Deangelo's initial knocks coming into the draft have been durability (knee inj. late in 2003 season, broken fibula in 2004 bowl game, both of which he showed NO ill effects of this year), and his pass protection, which he has been described as average, although improving. FYI, Memphis ran a spread offense which passed very often when not handing off to him, & he rarely missed his block (I want to say in 2003 our QB was only sacked 10 times or so.)

I think the Panthers have cashed in on a great 1-2 punch with two very similar backs (although I think Deangelo is more elusive & faster through the hole.) FYI, I've owned Foster the last three years and have watched him play often. It'll be fun watching Deangelo in camp & preseason :thumbup:

DeShaun signed a 3 year 14.5 million contract. He got 4.5 million as a signing bonus. I don't really consider that a long deal. I do think DeShaun will be the primary ball carrier as long as he stays healthy. The Panthers have stood by him the last few seasons, then resigned him, so they have faith in him. I think if Williams catches on early and looks good, he will be used to spell Foster, and be used in certain plays. Unfortunately for DeShaun he is high risk for injury, although some of that has been bad luck, but injuries seem to follow him around like that dirt cloud follows around Pigpen. The Panther rb's seem to drop like flies, so I hope Williams will work out well. The more good rb's on the team, the better. As I said though, I think DeShaun will be the primary ball carrier this year barring injury.
I don't understand how you say they have stuck behind him when they brought in S. Davis, drafted Shelton in the 2nd round and now drafted a rb in the first round in the last 3 years. If you consider that sticking with someone I don't know if I would want to be your friend.

COP= Change of Pace
Ah good stuff. I looked at a few of crackers old posts and he concluded Gallery was god, KJ was the 2nd coming, Vilma was a horrible pick and Eli Manning would stink. Knowing the source I will draft Williams with confidence that he will become a workhorse in the NFL.

I say this as a Foster owner.

I like Foster's RB ability is vastly overrated and Williams will have the opportunity to win the starting job outright even without a Foster injury.

COP= Change of Pace
Ah good stuff. I looked at a few of crackers old posts and he concluded Gallery was god, KJ was the 2nd coming, Vilma was a horrible pick and Eli Manning would stink. Knowing the source I will draft Williams with confidence that he will become a workhorse in the NFL.
:goodposting: Gallery will get to strut his stuff this year, as will KJ (who's simply coming off of a bad year). I was wrong on Vilma, although his star is supposed to dim a bit this year, and my thoughts on Eli Manning were mostly wishfull thinking. He impressed me a lot while watching him last year, almost enough to forget his crying at the draft.

DeShaun Foster = speed

COP= Change of Pace
:goodposting: Gallery will get to strut his stuff this year, as will KJ (who's simply coming off of a bad year). I was wrong on Vilma, although his star is supposed to dim a bit this year, and my thoughts on Eli Manning were mostly wishfull thinking. He impressed me a lot while watching him last year, almost enough to forget his crying at the draft.

DeShaun Foster = speed
Michael Bennett = speed too..........so what.

I would agree with your statement about Week 9 or so, but then why did Carolina resign Foster to a long deal in the offseason?  I fear that this may be a RBBC for a few years which is a little troubling...
I don't understand how you say they have stuck behind him when they brought in S. Davis, drafted Shelton in the 2nd round and now drafted a rb in the first round in the last 3 years. If you consider that sticking with someone I don't know if I would want to be your friend.
Trust me honey, I won't shed any tears if you don't want to be my friend. Davis was brought in when Foster was coming back from knee surgery. They brought Foster back slowly, and they needed a good running back to start. Davis worked out great, and the Panthers liked having two good backs. Davis also was a great mentor to Foster. The next year Davis and Foster both got hurt, and put on IR. They bring in Shelton with Davis's status being iffy. This year Davis is gone, and they bring in Williams. I don't see that as not sticking by Foster at all. I see it as having insurance, and wanting more than one good running back on your team. Foster said the reason he decided to resign with the Panthers is because of their loyalty to him. He has been put on IR 3 times, and the Panthers still believe in him. If someone had that history on your team, would you not want another good rb on your team? It isn't being disloyal drafting another potentially good rb, it's being smart. The Panthers are a run first team too.

Trust me honey, I won't shed any tears if you don't want to be my friend. Davis was brought in when Foster was coming back from knee surgery. They brought Foster back slowly, and they needed a good running back to start. Davis worked out great, and the Panthers liked having two good backs. Davis also was a great mentor to Foster. The next year Davis and Foster both got hurt, and put on IR. They bring in Shelton with Davis's status being iffy. This year Davis is gone, and they bring in Williams. I don't see that as not sticking by Foster at all. I see it as having insurance, and wanting more than one good running back on your team. Foster said the reason he decided to resign with the Panthers is because of their loyalty to him. He has been put on IR 3 times, and the Panthers still believe in him. If someone had that history on your team, would you not want another good rb on your team? It isn't being disloyal drafting another potentially good rb, it's being smart. The Panthers are a run first team too.
Insurance is drafting a guy in the 2nd or third, like last year. Losing your job is drafting someone in the first. Answer this ? honestly ... Do you own D. Foster?

No doubt in my mind that Williams was the 2nd best back in the draft and it'll be only a matter of time before he takes over and never looks back.

No doubt in my mind that Williams was the 2nd best back in the draft and it'll be only a matter of time before he takes over and never looks back.
Sure. But Foster was a top 5 back when he was drafted. He was drafted at the top of the 2nd round, Williams was drafted at the end of the 1st round. In terms of where both were rated before the draft and where they were taken, there isn't a lot to separate them.

Insurance is drafting a guy in the 2nd or third, like last year. Losing your job is drafting someone in the first. Answer this ? honestly ... Do you own D. Foster?
Thomas Jones still has his job.

Disclaimer: I am a Foster owner.

I don't see the Williams pick as a huge negative for Foster. His value is certainly lower, but not in a huge way, IMHO. I think the situation in Carolina may be similar to the one in Cincinnati with Rudy and Perry. As long as Foster performs (and yes, he must stay healthy), he will be the #1 option, and Williams will be a change of pace back. I am not sure Foster had an incentive this strong before to stay in one piece - now he knows he needs to "survive" or he won't have a job. Sometimes, a strong push like that is what a player needs.

Disclaimer: I am a Foster owner.

I don't see the Williams pick as a huge negative for Foster. His value is certainly lower, but not in a huge way, IMHO. I think the situation in Carolina may be similar to the one in Cincinnati with Rudy and Perry. As long as Foster performs (and yes, he must stay healthy), he will be the #1 option, and Williams will be a change of pace back. I am not sure Foster had an incentive this strong before to stay in one piece - now he knows he needs to "survive" or he won't have a job. Sometimes, a strong push like that is what a player needs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Foster has the tools to be a good, not great NFL back ( same can be said for DeAngelo). While he has proven to be somewhat fragile, he could have a good year if healthy.

I expect that Williams, will struggle as most rookies do, but if given a opportunity via injury etc, he could take the job and never look back.

Give 06 to Foster

Give 07 and beyond to Williams

Tom

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Williams is the prototypical team player and will do what Fox & co. ask of him in order to make things work. He's very coachable, down to earth, & always knows the right thing to say when interviewed, usually giving credit to his linemen & taking blame for his mistakes. He'll no doubt be a locker room leader very soon.All that being said, he's a guy who needs to be on the field due to his huge abilities. While I do see the Panthers starting with Foster, it won't be long until it's the Deangelo show. Foster has the talent & ability, but Deangelo can't be 2nd fiddle with his skills. Like I said earlier, with the 1-2 punch the Panthers now have, & Smith, MeShawn & Colbert keeping Ds from loading up, Foster & Williams will have plenty of room to run. Panther fans will be buying #34 jerseys pretty damn soon! ;)

FYI, people keep referring to Deangelo as a "change of pace back." IMO, change of pace signifies a different type back, i.e. going from a big, bruiser to a fast, quick cutting-type guy (like S. Davis & Foster were.) Williams will not be a COP to Foster, but rather a continuation of the same. Think of the Panthers using them both in the same situations (maybe even together at times), & using someone like Goings or Shelton as a COP. Foster may be slightly bigger, but WIlliams makes up for it with speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Williams is the prototypical team player and will do what Fox & co. ask of him in order to make things work. He's very coachable, down to earth, & always knows the right thing to say when interviewed, usually giving credit to his linemen & taking blame for his mistakes. He'll no doubt be a locker room leader very soon.All that being said, he's a guy who needs to be on the field due to his huge abilities. While I do see the Panthers starting with Foster, it won't be long until it's the Deangelo show. Foster has the talent & ability, but Deangelo can't be 2nd fiddle with his skills. Like I said earlier, with the 1-2 punch the Panthers now have, & Smith, MeShawn & Colbert keeping Ds from loading up, Foster & Williams will have plenty of room to run. Panther fans will be buying #34 jerseys pretty damn soon! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If he had played at a higher profile school he would have been a top 10 pick. Carolina got a steal.

DeAngelo Williams takes over the DeShaun Foster role, while Eric Shelton plays Stephen Davis.

It's been 5 years now with Foster. He's started only 10 games and rushed for only 1,563 yards and 7 TDs in 4 years! That's an elite RBs one-season tallies. The Panthers have seen the writing on the wall. He's solid, but not nearly dependable enough. They're hoping DeAngelo is that elite back.

If you're a DeShaun Foster onwer, I'm sorry. You should have seen this coming.

Obviously people are a bit undecided about this guys overall talent and ability to succeed at this level. I am not though and Foster is injury prone. Even if Foster remains healthy I see Williams taking over for him as soon as he learns to pass protect. I say by week 9 this year. Earlier if Foster gets injured before then.

Fox must remember Tiki Barber. A player I think compares well to what I think D. Williams is capable of doing. It may take him some time to become the bonifide feature back without losing significant carries but I don't think it will take as long for him as it did for Tiki.

Does anyone think Foster can keep Williams on the bench?

How do you see Williams being used in this offense in 2006 and beyond?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how long before he starts? lets see, today is May 1st...he's already the starting RB...that soon..

Foster is a great talent, but he gets hurt more than robert smith ever did..

and with the way Carolina's OC Dan Henning loves to pound the ball, I'm not sure Foster can make it thru 16 games..just my two cents, I think Foster is a great backup or a compliement to a #1 RB, and a spot-duty starter..but not a full time

25 carry/gm RB..

RBBC. Limits Foster's touches, eases Williams into the league. I dont think Carolina wants a full time back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DeShaun Foster = speed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Michael Bennett = speed too..........so what.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He wasn't referring to his running speed. Back on the yellow board, there was a thread titled Rams = SPEED. I never read it, but it's referred to often. Maybe someone can dig up an archive of it or something...Eli still only completed 52% of his passes last season... I remain skeptical.

Users who are viewing this thread