What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How studly do you have to be to be a "must start"? (1 Viewer)

TheWinz

Footballguy
After reading a few "I'm benching _____ for" threads, it got me thinking.  Dynasty teams can be stacked, so let's talk redraft league.  IMO, here are "must starts" at each position, assuming they are healthy:

QB - Aaron Rodgers - anyone who has Aaron likely drafted him between rounds 3-5.  Depending on league and roster size, he is either your only QB, or you may have a QB2 like Matt Ryan.  He is in a tier by himself, and as such, he is my only "must start" QB.  For all other QB's, I would consider matchups if you drafted a QB2 like Mahomes or Rivers.

RB -  Gurley, Bell (yeah, I know), Zeke, DJ, Kamara, Gordon, Fournette, Barkley, Hunt, McCaffrey, Cook - in leagues where you can start 3, you may be able to add a few more, but these guys were surely all drafted in the first 2 rounds.  The next handful of RB's drafted include D. Freeman, Howard, Drake, Mixon, Collins, and McCoy, and can all be benched based on matchups.

WR - AB, Nuke, OBJ, Julio, Thomas, Allen, Adams, Green, Evans, Hill - You could add a few more here, but I chose to stop with Tyreek.  Consider yourself very lucky if you have 2 of these guys, but if so, you are probably light at RB.

TE - Gronk, Kelce, Ertz - The next handful drafted were likely Olsen (out), Graham, Engram, Walker (out),  TE2's like Kittle and Njoku could certainly fill in for guys like Graham and Engram.  As with QB, some owners carry only 1 TE, so the "must start" is obvious.

K - None - hooray if you drafted a guy like Gostkowski or Zuerlein, but bench them in a monsoon.  Kickers are weather-dependent, and when it's pouring rain, or the winds are approaching  typhoon speeds, even the six-million dollar man's leg isn't gonna help you.  Teams simply do not attempt long FG's in terrible conditions.

D - None - Most owners carry only 1 D (and 1 K), and many play matchups with both positions.  If you did snag a top D like JAX or LAR, you likely will start them every week until their bye (same with top kickers).

All in all, it's a pretty short list - 1 QB, 10 RB's (not counting Bell), 10 WR's, and 3 TE's.  Obviously, this list could shrink or expand depending on league/roster size and starting requirements.  Sadly, I only have 2 of these guys (DJ & Allen) in my main league, because I chose Devonta in the 3rd round.

On QB, although I'll agree that you might bench anyone else for Mahomes and rivers, in most leagues I wouldn't bench Cam, Watson, Wilson, luck or Brady. I suppose you might have drafted cam and Mahomes, but in most cases those 5 need to start.

For now, add Conner.

Otherwise yeah, I think you got the locks.

Fwiw, in my only redraft my locks each week are cam, Coleman (even when Freeman returns but that's because my backs suck), Evans, Nuk, and Jordan Reed (you said while healthy)

Last edited by a moderator:
-OZ- said:
On QB, although I'll agree that you might bench anyone else for Mahomes and rivers, in most leagues I wouldn't bench Cam, Watson, Wilson, luck or Brady. I suppose you might have drafted cam and Mahomes, but in most cases those 5 need to start.

For now, add Conner.

Otherwise yeah, I think you got the locks.

Fwiw, in my only redraft my locks each week are cam, Coleman (even when Freeman returns but that's because my backs suck), Evans, Nuk, and Jordan Reed (you said while healthy)
Reed is my only TE, and I am huge on him this year.  In my 10-teamer, I was the last to draft a TE, and got exactly who I wanted.  I only wish he had a later bye, cuz I am gonna have to go waiver fishing for a scrub in week 4.  On my team, he is a must start, along with Conner.

Users who are viewing this thread