What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to create query-able website for dynasty league historic stats (1 Viewer)

Fruitbat

Footballguy
Our dynasty league is entering its 30th year. I keep all the stats for all player scores, game results, draft, transactions, etc etc. Over the years that has existed in Excel, MS Access, Google docs, etc. My dream would be to host all this info on a website for owners to access. Run pre-built reports/queries, download stats, etc. Sort of like a poor mans pro-football-reference.

I've got a background in writing complex SQL queries to pull/manipulate/aggregate extremely large datasets within relational databases. Also pretty good with Excel, decent with Access. What I don't know anything about is how to host this data and display it on a web site that is useable for other owners.

Willing to spend money to make this happen, and learn some new programming skills....but not willing to invest hundreds of hours to learn how to do it.

Suggestions?

To be clear, not looking for something as fancy as pro football reference. I'm imagining a page with a handful of options like "Individual player game stats" with maybe a few filters/criteria for each option.

I would actually start with YouTube - there's no shortage of people that put videos up for technical issues. LinkedIn Learning may also be another avenue. If you have the money and time, you may also want to check your local college for any type of night courses.

Yeah I'm hoping to avoid classes, etc. Youtube and the web are rabbit holes trying to find specifically what I want, sifting through stuff that is overkill (like commercial applications). I'll keep looking. Was really hoping there was some site of software you that with medium-ish investment (time/money) you could build something like this.

For example, I can essentially create what I want in MS Access forms. But its a bit clumsy, I haven't done it in years (is Access still even a thing?)....and its not a website, obviously.

I would use something like PowerBI or Tableau - not sure about limitations on the free versions with data downloads but that’s where I would start.

I think I checked out Tableau in the past...and it was cost-prohibitive to have a version that was point-and-click-and-free to leaguemates? Maybe I am not remembering correctly...

Users who are viewing this thread