What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to make league more competitive? (1 Viewer)

I'm heading up a league for a friend this season, but it's only ten teams. I expect everyone's roster to be pretty loaded, so I'm looking to tweak the rules to make it more competitive. Any suggestions?

Make a rule that whoever finishes in last place has to buy the drinks and food for next year's draft. That will keep everyone fighting till the end, even those who have fallen out of contention to win it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The next logical approach is to add individual defensive players. Having individual:

Corners
Linebackers
Lineman

Can be fun. Don't track cornerback tackle stats though, interceptions and deflections only. Otherwise it's a crap shoot or "pick the worst cornerback" who'll get burnt and get a bunch of tackles. I wouldn't be opposed to changing tackle to tackle for a loss. I don't think a routine tackle should be worth a point.

10's not a horrible number. I mean 12 is ideal but 10 is still pretty good. Either long starting lineups or short benches like the other guys said.

But to be honest it's more about the people in the league than the size in terms of how fun it is.

-QG

Ignoratio Elenchi said:
Donny Loved Bowling said:
I expect everyone's roster to be pretty loaded, so I'm looking to tweak the rules to make it more competitive.
Why would everyone having loaded rosters make the league less competitive?
Fair point. I guess what I mean is that I'm looking to create some competitive separation. I'm liking the short bench idea. I'm going to push for the IDPs as well.

I understand what you are asking. I dislike typical 10 team leagues. There's just no real scarcity. I look at the free agent list in most 10 team leagues and feel like I could assemble a semi competitive team just from that, it becomes so easy to fall back on waivers/FA to fill weaknesses.

What are the starting lineup requirements?

If I had to set up a 10 team league for somebody that tells me is probably isn't a serious/hardcore league and $ probably isn't involved, nor are the players going to spend a ton of time on it. I'd probably go for QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF.

I would also consider...and this is a big change...a 2QB league. 10 team leagues seem pretty good for this.

QuizGuy66 said:
10's not a horrible number. I mean 12 is ideal but 10 is still pretty good. Either long starting lineups or short benches like the other guys said.

But to be honest it's more about the people in the league than the size in terms of how fun it is.

-QG
Dead on.

I understand what you are asking. I dislike typical 10 team leagues. There's just no real scarcity. I look at the free agent list in most 10 team leagues and feel like I could assemble a semi competitive team just from that, it becomes so easy to fall back on waivers/FA to fill weaknesses.

If I had to set up a 10 team league for somebody that tells me is probably isn't a serious/hardcore league and $ probably isn't involved, nor are the players going to spend a ton of time on it. I'd probably go for QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DEF.

I would also consider...and this is a big change...a 2QB league. 10 team leagues seem pretty good for this.
We're playing for money, but how much has not been established. Likely a small amount. I only know a few guys in this league, so I don't know how much experience I'm dealing with - which further complicates things. I've currently got the lineups set for QB, RB, WR, TE, 3 FLEX, K, DEF. I like this format in other leagues I've done, because of the flexibility, but I don't think I can do that here. I think I need to make the lineups more rigid, because rosters will be so loaded. And I'm also thinking that IDPs won't fly, because of the uncertain level of league experience. But 2QB may just be the magic bullet here...

We're playing for money, but how much has not been established. Likely a small amount. I only know a few guys in this league, so I don't know how much experience I'm dealing with - which further complicates things. I've currently got the lineups set for QB, RB, WR, TE, 3 FLEX, K, DEF. I like this format in other leagues I've done, because of the flexibility, but I don't think I can do that here. I think I need to make the lineups more rigid, because rosters will be so loaded. And I'm also thinking that IDPs won't fly, because of the uncertain level of league experience. But 2QB may just be the magic bullet here...
I like using flex also. I set up two leagues this year (12 teamers) much like that, only I required 2WR and had 2 flex (W/R/T).

I figure the same thing based on what you are saying though...fewer options, more rigid, no IDP...I like 2QB though. Fortunately I didn't have to settle on a 10 team league this year (I did last year on one), but if I did, it would be 2QB all the way. 4 pt passing TD/1pt per 25 passing yd

Donny Loved Bowling said:
I'm heading up a league for a friend this season, but it's only ten teams. I expect everyone's roster to be pretty loaded, so I'm looking to tweak the rules to make it more competitive. Any suggestions?
If you pay for transactions, consider this:

Keep a practice squad. Money bid (plus a $3.00 fee), on players on a practice squad, goes to the owner. A $2.00 tax goes to the league. So a player out on waivers cost $2.00 on a zero bid. A player on someone's practice squad costs the bidder a minimum of $5 on a zero bid. $3 goes to the owner, $2.00 goes to the league. So you can actually make money by selecting good PS players even if your overall team is failing miserably.

QuizGuy66 said:

-QG
Dead on.
:bowtie:

It's tough - bigger leagues mean that there's more field filler teams by the end of the year. Especially true of new or year-to-year leagues. Over time some people end up having less time for the hobby as real-life stuff intrudes so this can even happen in long-term leagues. On the other side you have people who are crazy and play like 12 leagues - so they might be as attentive in some of these leagues. It's just life.

I've been lucky enough to have a league that I've been in for 24 years now. The roster of people have changed over time and sometimes things are more active and engaged than other times. It's never been big dollars but it's generally been fun. I have another league where it's been 2 years now but it's neat b/c there's interesting people in it. Though if their teams get bad things will drop off.

Always a trick to get a good group :)

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread