What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I miss Mikhail Gorbachev (1 Viewer)

ekbeats

Footballguy
He gone.

When I was in college in the late 80s I remember sitting with a bunch of the political science professors and TA’s at a coffee shop and lamenting that I grew up in such a boring era as opposed to the 60s. Someone asked who would be remembered as the greatest world leader of the 80’s. Most of the people around the table said Mikhail Gorbachev. He was indeed a great leader and helped bring about the merciful end of the Cold War. RIP.

He gone.

When I was in college in the late 80s I remember sitting with a bunch of the political science professors and TA’s at a coffee shop and lamenting that I grew up in such a boring era as opposed to the 60s. Someone asked who would be remembered as the greatest world leader of the 80’s. Most of the people around the table said Mikhail Gorbachev. He was indeed a great leader and helped bring about the merciful end of the Cold War. RIP.
well they were wrong. but he will be remembered longer than quick-hands or my long forgotten alias quickhands. so he has that going for him.

oh and to paraphrase a Dennis Hopper character. the eighties made the sixties it's *****" not exactly the phrase but close enough

I think Gorbachev and Reagan are great examples of the value of chemistry in international relations. They really did like each other, and it showed. The wives – not so much. Their summit in Reykjavík was truly incredible. We went from complete Cold War to almost eliminating all nuclear weapons.

He gone.

Bet you’re glad the past few years have taken care of that problem …

“May you live in interesting times”
— ancient Chinese curse

He gone.

Bet you’re glad the past few years have taken care of that problem …

“May you live in interesting times”
— ancient Chinese curse
Indeed iggy. We were at Expresso Bongo right off campus and that was the subject of the conversation – that the 80’s “Me Generation” was dull, boring, and totally apolitical. “There will never be activism and protests like we saw in the 60’s.”

I spent a week in Moscow in the mid 80's during the glasnost period and the one thing I remember about Gorby is he had put a program in place to reduce drunkeness. Vodka availability was severely curtailed and prices had gone way up. Some types of booze and strong wine had disappeared completely and people were pissed off. We had plenty available in our hotel and in bars for westerners, but it was a big issue for the common Russian at the time. The man had some success to be sure, but this was a big failure for him.

Users who are viewing this thread