What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I think SF screws up your draft board (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
taking a RB like D.Williams. They may trade down a spot or two to do it but I think a quality RB helps A.Smith out much more than a stud TE.

And if they do it right they can pick up a lower pick and still get a good TE.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a good chance Williams will be available with their second pick. I agree the Niners could easily muck up a lot of drafts but I can't see them taking DeAngelo with the #6.

taking a RB like D.Williams.  They may trade down a spot or two to do it but I think a quality RB helps A.Smith out much more than a stud TE.

:fishing: Nolan has made it pretty clear what they are looking for in the 1st round and it is not a QB or RB.

The Associated Press reports San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan said the San Francisco 49ers are likely to stay put at No. 6 in the first round of the NFL Draft. Nolan hopes to add two immediate starters to his team with picks No. 6 and No. 22. "Unfortunately, it's safe for us to say we can truly take the best player available, other than maybe a quarterback, because we have needs at just about every spot," Nolan said. "You'd like to be good enough that you could say that and be lying."

In another previous quote he has mentioned RB as not a need-

My bet:

#6: Vernon Davis

#22: Outside LB to replace Peterson

taking a RB like D.Williams. They may trade down a spot or two to do it but I think a quality RB helps A.Smith out much more than a stud TE.

No way in hell this happens. Not even a consideration in my opinion. Who says Williams will be any better than Frank Gore anyway?

:fishing: Nolan has made it pretty clear what they are looking for in the 1st round and it is not a QB or RB.

The Associated Press reports San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan said the San Francisco 49ers are likely to stay put at No. 6 in the first round of the NFL Draft. Nolan hopes to add two immediate starters to his team with picks No. 6 and No. 22. "Unfortunately, it's safe for us to say we can truly take the best player available, other than maybe a quarterback, because we have needs at just about every spot," Nolan said. "You'd like to be good enough that you could say that and be lying."

My bet:

:goodposting:
It's amazing what protection and D can do for a young QB.
:goodposting:

The only way I can see SF screwing up your draft board is if Bush, Mario, VD, Hawk, and Brick go 1-5. I think Nolan would be happy with any of those guys, and I'm guessing his draft board would be in that order.

Just ran across another article about Denvers manlove for VD. From scout.com insider

About a half hour ago I had the chance to speak to source very close to the Broncos. I'll go on record now as saying this is one of those guys that you can place you reputation in his hands.

As I reported earlier, the Broncos are in heavy discussions with the Packers trying to conjure up a deal that would bring Javon Walker to Denver. This deal really seems to be more 2 part then it looks on the surface.

The Broncos have a real love fest going on for Vernon Davis and are doing everything and anything in their power to jump ahead of the Raiders who they believe will take Davis and give them a dangerous group of receivers and even the 49ers who have been said to be very interested.

I was told the Broncos could have landed Walker by now as GB and Denver have virtually agreed on the details of a trade but Denver has soured after GB pulled a more complex deal involving a swap of 1st round picks off the table.

I was basically told every move Denver has made to this point was to position themselves to move up into the top 6 of this draft. If that includes acquiring Walker along the way they consider it icing on the cake. The trade with SF to acquire extra day 1 picks was all part of the plan as it's believed Denver will use those picks as ammunition to move up along with Lelie.

The bottom line is, expect Denver to acquire Walker but not at the cost of losing out on Vernon Davis. If a deal can't be reached with GB by Thursday that includes the 5th pick then you can expect Denver to turn their attention to the Jets who have already made contact with the Broncos about moving up. The Jets with 2 first round pick would love to move back and acquire additional picks for what they are calling a minor rebuilding process.

When I aksed him what he thought would finally happen he seemed to think in the end the price to move into the top 5 will be to steep but he also cautioned that Denver has made Davis priority #1 from the day they started their off season program and not to be surprised if Denver sells the farm to make it happen. He said at this time he's leaning towards Walker being a Bronco but not at the cost of the 15th pick but something less. Something in the range of 2nd and 3rd rounder or 2nd rounder with a future pick. If Denver is giving up their 15th it's only going to be in a move that will land them Vernon Davis.

from a fantasy perspective VD to denver would be gold,i cant say the same for VD to san fran. would love to take VD 1.06 but not if san fran lands him...

No way in hell this happens. Not even a consideration in my opinion. Who says Williams will be any better than Frank Gore anyway?
SF will not draft Williams at #6, but Williams is a huge upgrade over Gore and let us not forget everyones favorite rb in SF Kevan Barlow.

taking a RB like D.Williams.  They may trade down a spot or two to do it but I think a quality RB helps A.Smith out much more than a stud TE.

SF will not draft Williams at #6, but Williams is a huge upgrade over Gore and let us not forget everyones favorite rb in SF Kevan Barlow.
How do you know Williams is a huge upgrade over Gore? Gore was much better in college and Williams has yet to step foot on a NFL field. Gore is a solid back and my guess is that if healthy, he wins the starting job there this year.

How do you know Williams is a huge upgrade over Gore? Gore was much better in college and Williams has yet to step foot on a NFL field. Gore is a solid back and my guess is that if healthy, he wins the starting job there this year.
Are you serious when you state that the same Frank Gore who played at the U was a much better rb in college than D. Williams? Rbs that have had major knee surgeries and surgeries on their shoulders do not last long in the NFL. Gore is/was way overrated based on his potential coming out of HS, before all his major injuries.

Wow Gore is that good , since when .....

Are you serious when you state that the same Frank Gore who played at the U was a much better rb in college than D. Williams? Rbs that have had major knee surgeries and surgeries on their shoulders do not last long in the NFL. Gore is/was way overrated based on his potential coming out of HS, before all his major injuries.
You mean like Edge? :rolleyes:

How do you know Williams is a huge upgrade over Gore? Gore was much better in college
:confused: How was Gore a better player than Williams in college?

How do you know Williams is a huge upgrade over Gore? Gore was much better in college
Gore played at Miami, in legitimate games against legitimate opponents.College aside. Gore had decent numbers in the NFL last year. That is what I am saying.

Gore played at Miami, in legitimate games against legitimate opponents.College aside. Gore had decent numbers in the NFL last year. That is what I am saying.
So Gore was, or was not, a better player than Williams in college? I realize that Gore played a tougher schedule, but Williams had FAR less talent around him. Defenses were out to do nothing but stop him. In Gore's best season, he produced at less than 50% of Williams' production in his best season. Stats are included below, not to prove that Williams is better, but more to point out that Gore never really did much in college.

Frank Gore's college stats:

2003:

89 carries for 468 yards (5.3 per carry), 4 TDs

12 catches for 105 yards, 0 TDs

2004:

197 carries for 945 yards (4.8 per carry), 8 TDs

10 catches for 106 yards, 0 TDs

DeAngelo Williams college stats:

2002:

103 carries for 684 yards (6.6 per carry), 5 TDs

5 catches for 51 yards, 0 TDs

2003:

243 carries for 1430 yards (5.9 per carry), 10 TDs

35 catches for 384 yards, 3 TDs

2004:

313 carries for 1948 yards (6.2 per carry), 22 TDs

18 catches for 210 yards, 1 TD

2005:

309 carries for 1959 yards (6.3 per carry), 18 TDs

12 catches for 78 yards, 1 TD

Speaking strictly college here Gore never really impressed me. I always heard about how great he was and how he was supposed to be even better than Mcgahee, but watching him I never saw anything special.

Speaking strictly college here Gore never really impressed me. I always heard about how great he was and how he was supposed to be even better than Mcgahee, but watching him I never saw anything special.
That may very well be, but he's one of a few players on that team that, if healthy, would have a shot to start on another team. There's much bigger holes to fill.

Gore played at Miami, in legitimate games against legitimate opponents.
You know, there's something wrong with a person living in the state of Texas, questioning a Running Back's ability, based purely on his college opponents.

Not gonna happen in a million years. SF may pick up Williams, but he won't be taken by them in the first 10 picks.IF SF wanted to go this route, they would have traded the #6 to Denver for the 15 and 22.

When I look at a guy like Gore I will look at the fact that the coaches at the U decided to let McGahee ride the pine and let Gore play. They have a much better understanding of college football and football in general than I do and thus I will take their opinion over some guy on a message board that wasn't impressed.....BTW, I'm not a Gore owner and never have been...Nor am I a fan or alumnus of the U....

It's amazing what protection and D can do for a young QB.
That's why I'm thinking Justice or Ngata is the correct pick here.
Ngata? Possibly, but there is less of a need at the NT spot than offensive playmakers.Justice? Little to no chance. Believe it or not, even prior to the Larry Allen signing, OL was the deepest and best spot on the team....You have a solid competition at RT between last years third, Adamn Snyder (who the team is really high on and performed extremely well last year) and possible first round bust Kwame Harris. RG should be David Baas, last years high 2nd. Center is Newberry (on the decline) or a servicable Eric Heitman. LG Justin Smiley (another high 2nd 2 yrs ago) was teh best OL on the team last year. LT should be last years big ticket FA signing Jonas Jennings. Its a unit with good depth and young players who were able/forced to learn on the job last year.

Jennings/Larry Allen (JSmiley)/Newberry (Baas, Heitman)/Baas (Jsmiley) /Snyder (harris).

I think they've invested a ton in this spot, and therefore will not invest another high day one pick on the OL this year, unless a guy like Mangold falls to Rd 3.

My bet:

Manny Lawson appears to the be trendy pick at #22

Nolan has made it pretty clear what they are looking for in the 1st round and it is not a QB or RB.
Arguing that DeAngelo will be available at #22, or that they'd trade down a bit from #6 if they do want to take DeAngelo are both more compelling responses. I'd put exactly zero weight in what a coach says he'll do on draft day. In fact, public denial almost proves they are considering it.

If AJ Hawk was there at 6, would SF take him over V.Davis? There is alot of speculation about a trade that involves the Saints,Jets, and Raiders where that could happen

If AJ Hawk was there at 6, would SF take him over V.Davis?
No.FWIW.......My buddy who works for the Niners--same guy who tipped me on Jennings/Bryant signings--says if VD is there, he's the pick. The only guys they'd take over VD would be Bush and Mario.

You mean like Edge? :rolleyes:
I don't remember Edge ever having surgery on his shoulders. I hope you're not also comparing Gore to Edge.

My bet:

Looks like Nolan was not blowing smoke. The 9'ers 1st 2 picks were easy to handicap-

Users who are viewing this thread