What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I want to buy a Honda Pilot (BOUGHT Acura Integra ASpec-Tech) tomorrow.... (1 Viewer)

Got my new Pilot. Look at me. In case anybody was considering one and had questions.
What model? What did you end up paying? Was there any negotiation room? I've heard they're selling everything that comes off of the line,so the buyer has little leverage
You are correct. Paid sticker and had to put money down for one the dealer was allocated before it was even built.2016 Honda Pilot Elite
Ouch. How long did the whole process take from the time you put the money down? Did they have any financing deals?
I first was looking at new inventory online but the dealer sites show VINs in stock as soon as they're built and they may already be spoken for. I called a bunch of dealers and even considered flying out of state to pick up one in stock at the dealer. Ended up finding a dealer a little over an hour away on Oct. 26th that had one allocated to them that was to be built the first week of Nov. So I ended up getting it in under a month. FYI the dealers don't get to choose their colors. I was flexible on color as they're all pretty nice.

Inventory should start to loosen up on Elites and Tourings. There were plenty of the more basic models all along. There was a factory delay where I believe they weren't shipping any of the upper end models due to a software update/recall. I have not had one issue although I would tweak a few software items to improve it like revising Adaptive Cruise Control, music interface and adding a Remote Start fob "vehicle started" indicator.

First day in the snow today. Stuck to the road like glue. On TireRack the tires aren't rated great for deep snow or ice. Thinking about buying a set of wheels and some Blizzak DM-V2's for winter.

I first was looking at new inventory online but the dealer sites show VINs in stock as soon as they're built and they may already be spoken for. I called a bunch of dealers and even considered flying out of state to pick up one in stock at the dealer.

Ended up finding a dealer a little over an hour away on Oct. 26th that had one allocated to them that was to be built the first week of Nov. So I ended up getting it in under a month. FYI the dealers don't get to choose their colors. I was flexible on color as they're all pretty nice.

Inventory should start to loosen up on Elites and Tourings. There were plenty of the more basic models all along. There was a factory delay where I believe they weren't shipping any of the upper end models due to a software update/recall. I have not had one issue although I would tweak a few software items to improve it like revising Adaptive Cruise Control, music interface and adding a Remote Start fob "vehicle started" indicator.

First day in the snow today. Stuck to the road like glue. On TireRack the tires aren't rated great for deep snow or ice. Thinking about buying a set of wheels and some Blizzak DM-V2's for winter.
How's the new ride now? Thinking about the 2016 Elite w/Honda Sensing. 

Lots to love and it's well documented, but it's hard not to note things I'd improve if I was in charge. The best place for info is www.piloteers.org 

The infotainment center stack is lacking. With today's technology I expect it to be like an iPad and it's not. It's just clunky and feels dated. Handsfree too.

FM radio doesn't seem like it has good stereo reception. See the forums for more info. Antenna lacking? People are hoping for software updates.

The subwoofer is fine through Bluetooth music but non-existent with some other inputs. 

Initial starts in first gear have some lag. That can be mitigated in Sport mode. 

Remote start is ok but the remote doesn't give an indicator if it started.

I drive 10 to 13 over and I'm at 21.3 mpg. That includes plenty of winter remote starts and about 50/50 highway. I have 11,000 miles since late November. 

Ask me anything. I'm an attention to detail guy. 

I'm looking to up-size from our 2013 crv-ex-L with navigation. Lease is up May 22 with residual value of $19,200. 

Local dealership has a few pilots and I'm debating between two:

1. 2014 Pilot EX-L w navigation and 26,000 miles.  ($32,100)

2. 2013 Pilot Touring and 35,000 miles. ($29,800). 

Which should I get (or are they both over priced)?

2016s seem very expensive and I prefer the old body style  2016 looks like a van to me  

thanks!

I love my 2015 Touring with Navi that started this thread.  I'm not sure if 2013 has all the same bells and whistles as my 2015, but I would take the extras over a year and some miles myself. Also, I would check with dealerships for ANY leftover 2015 Touring.  I bet you could steal one at this point.

Maybe even 32k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my 2015 Touring with Navi that started this thread.  I'm not sure if 2013 has all the same bells and whistles as my 2015, but I would take the extras over a year and some miles myself.
I guess that's my question:. What's the difference between 2013 and 2014?  

I think there isn't one really, but would like to hear others. The knock on new pilots until 2016 was that there were no changes other than some other packages. Touring was always the fully loaded though, right?  This one has the DVD entertainment system and navigation. What else is there?

Traded in wifey's '02 CRV for a 2016 EX-L the Honda Sensing package. White with tan leather interior.  Had it 4 months and still just as impressed as the day we bought it.  Great vehicle.  

It just feels odd to buy a 2013 for almost $30,000 with a payment for the next 60-66 months (to keep payment down, is an extra 6 month worth it at this point?).  Is that just dumb on my part?  I never bought a used car on my own before, so I am not sure if I am looking at this the right way.

It just feels odd to buy a 2013 for almost $30,000 with a payment for the next 60-66 months (to keep payment down, is an extra 6 month worth it at this point?).  Is that just dumb on my part?  I never bought a used car on my own before, so I am not sure if I am looking at this the right way.
How long are you planning on keeping the vehicle?  If you will keep it until the wheels fall off then I think you are fine.  If you plan on trading it in when your payments are done in 2021 the car will be 9 years old.  The trade in value on most 9 year old cars isn't that great.

How long are you planning on keeping the vehicle?  If you will keep it until the wheels fall off then I think you are fine.  If you plan on trading it in when your payments are done in 2021 the car will be 9 years old.  The trade in value on most 9 year old cars isn't that great.
I think ride it until the wheels fall off.  The current 2013 CRV that we have only has 14,000 miles on it.  My wife doesn't work and obviously she doesn't drive too much or too far.  We would go from Philly to Pitt 2-3 times per year in the "new" vehicle probably.  We could buy the CRV out at a good price, but we also have another baby on the way and think we need a bigger car sooner rather than later.

Is doing 66 months "worth it" to lower the payment or is that dumb?

I also have a 2009 Grand Cherokee that has no payments left on it that my dad essentially gave me.  It has 90,000 miles though.  I drive that to and from the train station daily and errands on the weekends.  The Cherokee I will probably not get rid of for quite some time given how little real use it gets. 

The Pilot would be the family car and probably be driven a little more than the current CRV I guess.

So I probably need to pull the trigger this weekend . . . thoughts?
Will that be your second kid? Third?

You have the Cherokee for the whole family. Why do you need two 7-8 passenger vehicles?

We were considering bigger vehicles for my wife too as she was done with the minivan. But when all five of us go somewhere we take my Pilot. The five passenger Hyundai Tucson (or in your case, your current CRV) is perfect. Oldest daughter as front passenger and two younger ones in back. Plenty of room. Plus it will be easier for the 13-yo to drive in a few years. 

To me, unless you have four kids, you keep your like-new 2013 CRV and finance the residual value from your lease ending. No brainer. You basically have a brand-new CRV for $18,000. That's awesome!

Will that be your second kid? Third?

You have the Cherokee for the whole family. Why do you need two 7-8 passenger vehicles?

We were considering bigger vehicles for my wife too as she was done with the minivan. But when all five of us go somewhere we take my Pilot. The five passenger Hyundai Tucson (or in your case, your current CRV) is perfect. Oldest daughter as front passenger and two younger ones in back. Plenty of room. Plus it will be easier for the 13-yo to drive in a few years. 

To me, unless you have four kids, you keep your like-new 2013 CRV and finance the residual value from your lease ending. No brainer. You basically have a brand-new CRV for $18,000. That's awesome!
Second kid.  My son will be 2.5 when the new baby arrives.  The CRV just feels small already with one car seat in it.  Driving across the state to visit my family a few times a year in the CRV seems tight.  The Cherokee with 90,000 miles on it makes me feel leery taking the family on a 300 mile trip a few times per year.

You're right though.  It is a like new CRV.  We know it.  It's a good value and the Pilot would be closer to a luxury than a necessity.  It feels close to a need though.

90,000 miles is nothing if you maintain it. I took an Expedition with over 200,000 miles on it on 4,000 mile trips with the family. 

CRV feels small with one car seat? CRV's have the most space of any crossover SUV. Two toddlers won't be in row three anyway. 

There's nothing wrong with just wanting something different. Just say so. 

So it's looking like either:

2013 Pilot Touring with 40,000 miles

2014 Pilot ex-l with navigation with 25,000 miles

or keep the 2013 crv ex-l with navigation with 14,000 miles. 

Thoughts?  Rate for CRV is 3.49. Honda certified special of the pilots right now of 1.9. 

In the market for a large SUV...... Per my wife :startshidingmoney:

So far my wife likes:

1.  Sequioa

2.  Xpedition, Tahoe, Yukon

3.  Pilot, Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, other midsize

Thoughts besides it sucks down gas?  Anyone have experience with the he supposed issue with the Yukon/ Tahoe causing sickness?

So far my wife likes:

1.  Sequioa

Thoughts besides it sucks down gas?  Anyone have experience with the he supposed issue with the Yukon/ Tahoe causing sickness?

I just bought a 2017 XC90 - take delivery in October.  I test-drove a Q7, and have driven a Tahoe/Yukon as a rental. 

They're only in the same class because they're all big.  There's very little between the XC90 and Tahoe that I'd call similar.  The Tahoe is a BIG truck.  It feels big.  It drives big.  It uses a lot of gas.  The XC90 carries 7, but feels like a much much smaller SUV...gets gas mileage like a smaller one too.  I also think that for what you get, if you don't truly need the "big work truck" build for towing, the Yukon/Tahoe are way over priced.  The XC90 and Q7's interiors blow the others out of the water.  The XC90 won for me because of exterior styling looking better to me than the Q7.  The interiors on both were fantastic.  Slight edge to the XC90 due to the cool main screen.

So far my wife likes:

1.  Sequioa

Buy a used Lexus LX470/570 and thank me later.

So far my wife likes:

1.  Sequioa

I have a 2016 Volvo XC90.  It is the T8 (so plug in hybrid one) and love it.  Q7 and XC90 are much nicer cars then the others (also more expensive) and our decision was down to those two cars.  Wife's desire for a hybrid one out over the Q7 (I could have gone either way but would have probably bought the none hybrid XC90).   

ETA - If you need towing capacity think the Q7 is rated to 7,000 which is pretty good for a luxury car based SUV.  

I have a 2016 Volvo XC90.  It is the T8 (so plug in hybrid one) and love it.  Q7 and XC90 are much nicer cars then the others (also more expensive) and our decision was down to those two cars.  Wife's desire for a hybrid one out over the Q7 (I could have gone either way but would have probably bought the none hybrid XC90).   

ETA - If you need towing capacity think the Q7 is rated to 7,000 which is pretty good for a luxury car based SUV.  
I know that's what I thought at first too, but if you start adding options to them, the price gap starts to narrow quickly.  A limited Sequoia starts in the mid $50's, just like an Inscription XC90 (non-hybrid).  The Q7 is probably the most expensive, but even the Tahoe/Yukon easily get into the 50's if not higher when you option them out.  I totally agree theQ7 and XC90 are much nicer...but not so much more expensive.

The last two times I went to buy a car, I initially was considering a non-luxury brand (Ford, then Jeep this time), and by the time I added the options I wanted, I was within $5K of the same options from a true Luxury car.  With the rise in auto prices the last few years, some of the luxury brands are actually relatively LESS expensive when compared to the alternatives.

Digressing - How do you like your XC90?  I considered the hybrid, but the math just didn't make sense given the considerable mark-up, and I decided I'd rather pay up for the Inscription line and more options.  I'm excited to get mine in a month or so.

I know that's what I thought at first too, but if you start adding options to them, the price gap starts to narrow quickly.  A limited Sequoia starts in the mid $50's, just like an Inscription XC90 (non-hybrid).  The Q7 is probably the most expensive, but even the Tahoe/Yukon easily get into the 50's if not higher when you option them out.  I totally agree theQ7 and XC90 are much nicer...but not so much more expensive.

The last two times I went to buy a car, I initially was considering a non-luxury brand (Ford, then Jeep this time), and by the time I added the options I wanted, I was within $5K of the same options from a true Luxury car.  With the rise in auto prices the last few years, some of the luxury brands are actually relatively LESS expensive when compared to the alternatives.

Digressing - How do you like your XC90?  I considered the hybrid, but the math just didn't make sense given the considerable mark-up, and I decided I'd rather pay up for the Inscription line and more options.  I'm excited to get mine in a month or so.
Ok, to be honest didn't realize price was that close.  You look at XC90 and Q7 compare to the other ones and they are in a different league.  If you are getting full optioned on those I think you step up to luxury class if price is close.  I also think both the Q7 and XC90 are nicer then the BMW and the MB GLS.  

I really like the XC90 and like the hybrid function but you are right the added cost doesn't make up for full savings but my wife really wanted a hybrid.  However, I do like the ability to turn off the hybrid function and put it into sport mode where it uses both engines at the same time giving you 400 plus horsepower and the instant torque of the electric engine. The thing really moves.  

I ended up getting an R-Design basically fully loaded (they basically didn't make any T8s that aren't inscriptions or R-design without all the options).  Thing I really love is the air suspension as the ride is great (even with the big tires) and it does some awesome party tricks. Think you will really like yours.  What options did you get?  

So far my wife likes:

1.  Sequioa

Save 10K+ and check out a Ford Flex.  Better fuel economy and ride quality, ton of room. 

Redwes25 said:
Ok, to be honest didn't realize price was that close.  You look at XC90 and Q7 compare to the other ones and they are in a different league.  If you are getting full optioned on those I think you step up to luxury class if price is close.  I also think both the Q7 and XC90 are nicer then the BMW and the MB GLS.  

I really like the XC90 and like the hybrid function but you are right the added cost doesn't make up for full savings but my wife really wanted a hybrid.  However, I do like the ability to turn off the hybrid function and put it into sport mode where it uses both engines at the same time giving you 400 plus horsepower and the instant torque of the electric engine. The thing really moves.  

I ended up getting an R-Design basically fully loaded (they basically didn't make any T8s that aren't inscriptions or R-design without all the options).  Thing I really love is the air suspension as the ride is great (even with the big tires) and it does some awesome party tricks. Think you will really like yours.  What options did you get?  
Agree re. if you option out a non-lux, just step up to a luxury car.  I also agree that the Q7 and the XC90 >>> BMW X5 and MB GLS.  The X5 styling is bleh these days, and MB interiors are way too busy.

I got an Osmium Grey T6 Inscription.  I ended up with Charcoal leather.  I REALLY liked the blonde leather, but we've got a 2-year old, and I just figured it'd be nearly impossible to keep clean.  Not to mention the Land Rover I have now has light colored seats and my wife's jeans turn the side bolsters blue.  I was between getting a fully-loaded Momentum or stepping up to an Inscription with a few less options. The Inscription ventilated leather seats were really what sold me.  I HATE having sweaty back on long road trips.  I'm so excited for the ventilation. I got mine with the Convenience and Vision packages, and Apple CarPlay (standard for 2017).  I kind of wanted the air suspension, but since my car was already on the assembly line, they could only modify certain features, and that wasn't one of them.  If I wanted that, I'd have had to wait till late November or later. 

Now I just have to have the contractors finish my basement build-out so I can return a bunch of stuff to the storage area down there, and free up another garage bay to park it!

I see noone has mentioned the Acura MDX. I'm going with the 2017 MDX for my wife, will purchase later this year. Looks like low $40k-ish for the base model that includes everything we need.

Agree re. if you option out a non-lux, just step up to a luxury car.  I also agree that the Q7 and the XC90 >>> BMW X5 and MB GLS.  The X5 styling is bleh these days, and MB interiors are way too busy.

I got an Osmium Grey T6 Inscription.  I ended up with Charcoal leather.  I REALLY liked the blonde leather, but we've got a 2-year old, and I just figured it'd be nearly impossible to keep clean.  Not to mention the Land Rover I have now has light colored seats and my wife's jeans turn the side bolsters blue.  I was between getting a fully-loaded Momentum or stepping up to an Inscription with a few less options. The Inscription ventilated leather seats were really what sold me.  I HATE having sweaty back on long road trips.  I'm so excited for the ventilation. I got mine with the Convenience and Vision packages, and Apple CarPlay (standard for 2017).  I kind of wanted the air suspension, but since my car was already on the assembly line, they could only modify certain features, and that wasn't one of them.  If I wanted that, I'd have had to wait till late November or later. 

Now I just have to have the contractors finish my basement build-out so I can return a bunch of stuff to the storage area down there, and free up another garage bay to park it!
I got mine is Osmium Grey as well.  Think you will really like yours .  

I see noone has mentioned the Acura MDX. I'm going with the 2017 MDX for my wife, will purchase later this year. Looks like low $40k-ish for the base model that includes everything we need.
This is a pretty good idea.  It is a nice a car and a little less expensive then the other luxury cars.  I was looking for a car a couple of months ago and thought it didn't look as nice as the others (I didn't like the beak front) but heard they updated the styling for 2017 and ditched that beak look.  I haven't seen the new one yet though.  

This is a pretty good idea.  It is a nice a car and a little less expensive then the other luxury cars.  I was looking for a car a couple of months ago and thought it didn't look as nice as the others (I didn't like the beak front) but heard they updated the styling for 2017 and ditched that beak look.  I haven't seen the new one yet though.  
Yea, the front grill has been re-done for the 2017, and the hood is more stylish with some curve. Also the AcuraWatch package is standard on the 2017. I'll wait a few months, as right now its not easy to get a discount off the MSRP. Once they unload the backlog of 2016's, I think the price will come down on the 2017.

Yea, the front grill has been re-done for the 2017, and the hood is more stylish with some curve. Also the AcuraWatch package is standard on the 2017. I'll wait a few months, as right now its not easy to get a discount off the MSRP. Once they unload the backlog of 2016's, I think the price will come down on the 2017.
What is that?  Automatic breaking/lane warning stuff?  If so nice if they made that standard as it should be on all luxury cars.  Kind of annoys me you have to pay thousand in options to get that stuff on the German cars (other than the Q7).   

We bought my wife an RDX in 2013 (1st year of that re-design) and couldn't be happier with it.  Fantastic for the money.  The thing I like about Acura is that you get a lot in the base price.  There are usually only a few options to worry about.  My wife really wanted me to get an MDX for my next car.  In terms of the car functionality, it had everything I needed...I've just never been big on the styling.  That was really the only reason I didn't consider it.  Awesome car for the $$ though.  Our neighbor just got one in dark grey.  Looks sharp. 

I have a 2012 Acura TL, dark grey, dark interior. You are right, everything is in the base. I got 48k miles, and I had it serviced at the dealer until the warranty ran out. Only $100-ish each time, maybe once every 9 months. Brake pads still have 75% life left. Just had to replace the tires. Its a great car, love it.

The AcuraWatch package is like 2k on the 2016 Acura MDX, it includes the lane keeping/departing assist features. 

Worth noting, you can get a 2016 Acura MDX base package (2WD) for under 40k now. They list for 43.9k. I'm gonna wait for the 2017 though, it'll probably cost me 42k once the price goes down (looks like about 44k now).

Wife is coming from a 4Runner.  We have been in a loaner sequoia for the last 3 months.  She likes the room but I like the xc90

Good call on the MDX

Flex is not my cup o tea

So for those of you who bought the fighting chance package was it worth it?
yes, especially for peace of mind.  You're probably not going to get below invoice (speaking on the pilot), but you're also not going to get raped by the dealership b/c of it.  

I think we are narrowed down to the Sequioa and the Pilot.  Once we choose then I am going to order my fighting chance pack and send emails out.  Here I come ......

Test drove the Elite 2016.  Very very nice.  I can almost picture my 2 & 5 yo boys tearing the leather now.  Priced the Touring and it rang in at 44 or so.  Now tuning it back down a bit more to the EX-L which is still a very very nice car.

Wife keeps flipping back to the Sequoia though.....

So I never updated this....

10/31/2016 - Ended up buying a 2016 Pilot Touring.  Dealer had a Demo with a chip in the windshield so I was able to negotiate a very nice price along with a new windshield.

They replaced the windshield with a non Honda windshield and it messed all of the lanewatch sensors up.  Brought it back and they ordered a new camera for the lanewatch (mounts behind the rear view mirror).  They changed that out and no dice.  They ordered a new Honda windshield and installed it.  Then the Bluetooth stopped working.  All of this is within the first week.  Then they swapped it out with the exact same model with zero miles. Win!

2 years later the windshield is cracked again.  In Louisiana you cannot get an inspection sticker with a crack over X amount of inches. So that will be a $1k hit because I have to put OEM back in and insurance will not.  Starting to have some shifting issues upon acceleration.  Sometimes like it’s slow in shifting and sometimes it’s shifting fast.  Needless to say I bought the Pilot for Honda quality and I am not seeing it.

Ho Hum.

Yeah it sucks because I really want to like the car.  Not really sure if we will keep it or look at a different car now.

I want to buy a Honda Civic tomorrow. Found the one I wanted in another state. Emailed an offer tonight. Gonna go Black, hatchback, and sport touring. Need to tint those windows. Kid wants lights underneath when we drive like F&F. It's crazy It's gonna cost me 35k. That's about the same price I paid for my Touring Pilot in 2015 when I started this thread. The Pilot has 140k miles on it now, we still love it.

Gone are the days (at least Honda and Acura) of sales people harrasing you for a sale. Now I can barely get them to respond. Has this been the way since covid? So frustrating. I'm waving freaking money at them, lol.

We may pivot to an Acura Ispec Tech package as they are easier to get. I offered 36kish all in. Crickets.

Gone are the days (at least Honda and Acura) of sales people harrasing you for a sale. Now I can barely get them to respond. Has this been the way since covid? So frustrating. I'm waving freaking money at them, lol.

We may pivot to an Acura Ispec Tech package as they are easier to get. I offered 36kish all in. Crickets.
I've had the complete opposite issue. They would hound me for weeks after I made one inquiry

I've had the complete opposite issue. They would hound me for weeks after I made one inquiry
That's how it was in 15 when I was buying.

Ended up getting a nice price and bought a black/black Acura Integra ASpec-tech for under 40 ALL IN. Pretty pleased honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread