What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I Was Promised The Commies Weren't Coming For Everything, And You Know How That Worked Out (1 Viewer)

Ah, I see. The Twitter thread is clear. He would rename at least all Jackson-Jefferson dinners and would reevaluate who and what we want to "honor," Jackson presumably getting knocked from all honors with Jefferson as slightly more "problematic."

Funny, I didn't think honoring Jefferson was "problematic" in these debates at all. I was told it was just the Confederacy and its statues, not the slaveholding Founders. Sounds like Joss Wheedon or some such rot. 
If you don't think owning slaves is problematic then I don't know what to tell you.  That doesn't mean Jefferson isn't worth honoring.  Black and white thinking is rarely productive.

The inexorable march of the renaming acolytes will not stop until they rewrite public life. They already slipped in the back door and did it in the school history books; now they're going after public life in general. The concept of History does not stop. It cannot and never will. Buttigieg is but a temporary dyke in the dam. The deluge will not be stopped unless these people are roundly defeated and told to take their ten percent back to the political closet where they belong.
May I ask who you referring to in history books?

May I ask who you referring to in history books?
I am referring to everything from the Founders on down, on both sides.

From the left we need only have been alive since 1975 to see its influence on school curriculum. I don't think anybody wants to debate that.

From the right, see examples like this https://qz.com/1273998/for-10-years-students-from-texas-have-been-using-a-history-textbook-that-says-not-all-slaves-were-unhappy/

and the Texas state decision to change their history books back in the decade.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/07/13/421744763/how-textbooks-can-teach-different-versions-of-history

Each side will try and re-write history. The question is, do we let them do it? Do we let them re-write the history that consensus tells us is true? 

I am referring to everything from the Founders on down, on both sides.

From the left we need only have been alive since 1975 to see its influence on school curriculum. I don't think anybody wants to debate that.

From the right, see examples like this https://qz.com/1273998/for-10-years-students-from-texas-have-been-using-a-history-textbook-that-says-not-all-slaves-were-unhappy/

and the Texas state decision to change their history books back in the decade.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/07/13/421744763/how-textbooks-can-teach-different-versions-of-history

Each side will try and re-write history. The question is, do we let them do it? Do we let them re-write the history that consensus tells us is true? 
Ok, wasn’t sure if there was a specific issue related to Pete B there. I definitely think we have to be really vigilant guarding history and it’s instruction. Michigan is going through some serious issues with that now as someone in power is trying to reframe the KKK as an anti Republican group and not a group that had racial views. I’m sure every State has these battles from time to time. These issues are important but are generally ignored. Most people are pathetically ignorant of history.

It set me on to wondering how to deal

With such a thickness of particulars,

Deal with it faithfully, you understand,

Without blurring the issue.

Of course I know That within a month the sleeving snows will come

With cold, selective emphases, with massings

And arbitrary contrasts, rendering things

Deceptively simple, thickening the twigs

To frosty veins, bestowing epaulets

And decorations on every birch and aspen.

And the eye, self-satisfied, will be misled,

Thinking the puzzle solved, supposing at last

It can look forth and comprehend the world.

That's when you have to really watch yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing good to come of this and the FBI had no business bugging him. This is where Deep State conspiracy theorists get their legs. They killed Hemingway and drove MLK to near-suicide.

It is unsettling to read the story.  I'm not sure how this will play with the public. 

Better link. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7071713/FBI-tapes-Martin-Luther-King-Jr-40-affairs-laughed-friend-raped-parishioner.html
I think everyone knows he was a philanderer.  Watching and laughing during a rape would be a shock - the wording in that article doesn’t exactly sell me on his having done that, however.  Certainly release the tapes, though, if there’s a public interest. Everyone can decide for themselves what they say and who says it. 

Not really buying it (the rape story.) 

But in the unlikely event that it’s true, it just means that like Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, he is a man who did some great things and some very bad things. 

The guy making the claim is David Garrow who won a Pulitzer prize for his book on MLK.  He sources the memo to the assistant director of the FBI in 1964 and names the alleged rapist.  Those are a lot of factors working in favor of legitimizing the claim. 

The guy making the claim is David Garrow who won a Pulitzer prize for his book on MLK.  He sources the memo to the assistant director of the FBI in 1964 and names the alleged rapist.  Those are a lot of factors working in favor of legitimizing the claim. 
Yeah, I only had read the part of it saying vaguely there was a tape that accused him.  

Reading the rest... I’d be interested in what audio led to that report.  That could well be a horrifying incident. It’s also worth noting that memos of definite lies to be provided to the White House were not uncommon in Hoover’s FBI. So the audio would be helpful. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread