What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I was wrong about keeping dogs outside; UPDATE - we got a Moose. (1 Viewer)

I was on the fence about crating our first dog, but I finally agreed and it worked out- our dog used to put herself to bed in the crate, as others have said it was her 'den'.. I never closed the door.

Dog we have now didn't like the crate as much, so I put it away and kept just her bed in the spot and she is happy.. of course, first dog we got as a puppy and second dog was a rescue, so she wasn't thrilled with living in a cage again...

I understand what crate training is for. I was responding to the potty training as that was brought up. I don't think they are necessary. I think the alleged benefits to the dog are overstated. I think it is mostly about making life easier on the people not the dog. Which is everyone's call to make. Just not for me.
Having a dog crate trained does make it easier for the dog. If your dog has to go to the vet, where is it going to be kept? If you have to board your dog for a few days, where is it going to be kept? If it gets injured and has to remain calm and relatively motionless for an extended period where is it going to be kept? All of those are stressful situations for the dog. Not having the dog crate trained would greatly increase the stress in those situations.

Crate training is a must.
Owned dogs most of my life. No crate needed. It is not a must. Not even close to a must. Never had a problem with a dog riding in car. If they are sick you put down the old ratty blanket and roll on. I have never boarded an animal. Talk about stress. If I am going to be gone that long someone comes and watches them. And lastly I can't remember the last time I had to take a house kept animal to the vet for injury.
Every vet and trainer would disagree.
Actually what they tell you is to crate early because dogs have to learn to like it. It isn't natural for them to enjoy caging. They will also go on to say if you want more than a dog crate conditioned dog they have to be out of the crate to learn appropriate behaviors. So if the dog misbehaves around people the trick is to teach them, not to not put them in the crate. That doesn't teach them anything.

I see them used as punishment or in place of training on a regular basis. Now I am sure everyone here is the perfect doggie parent and never would misuse the crate but that isn't always the case. I have no use for them. Again that is me personally and you should do whatever you think is best for your pet.

We did not crate train our dog because we thought it was mean, I wish we had.

In the future we will crate train dogs AND send them to be boarded over night periodically, just so that when we have to board them they are used to it from a young age

my dog was not trained like that and boarding is very stressful on her

I understand what crate training is for. I was responding to the potty training as that was brought up. I don't think they are necessary. I think the alleged benefits to the dog are overstated. I think it is mostly about making life easier on the people not the dog. Which is everyone's call to make. Just not for me.
Having a dog crate trained does make it easier for the dog. If your dog has to go to the vet, where is it going to be kept? If you have to board your dog for a few days, where is it going to be kept? If it gets injured and has to remain calm and relatively motionless for an extended period where is it going to be kept? All of those are stressful situations for the dog. Not having the dog crate trained would greatly increase the stress in those situations.

Crate training is a must.
Owned dogs most of my life. No crate needed. It is not a must. Not even close to a must. Never had a problem with a dog riding in car. If they are sick you put down the old ratty blanket and roll on. I have never boarded an animal. Talk about stress. If I am going to be gone that long someone comes and watches them. And lastly I can't remember the last time I had to take a house kept animal to the vet for injury.
Every vet and trainer would disagree.
Actually what they tell you is to crate early because dogs have to learn to like it. It isn't natural for them to enjoy caging. They will also go on to say if you want more than a dog crate conditioned dog they have to be out of the crate to learn appropriate behaviors. So if the dog misbehaves around people the trick is to teach them, not to not put them in the crate. That doesn't teach them anything.

I see them used as punishment or in place of training on a regular basis. Now I am sure everyone here is the perfect doggie parent and never would misuse the crate but that isn't always the case. I have no use for them. Again that is me personally and you should do whatever you think is best for your pet.
Yep, I think it is best for my pet. ASPCA, Humane Society, and any other relevant organization or trainer agrees.

I'll always crate train, but I hardly think it's a must.

There are other benefits sure, but the most important of course is housetraining and any system that ensures the dog never develops the habit of pissing in the house is going to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never boarded an animal. Talk about stress.
Well i have kids and to go on a trip with them we sort of have to board the dog. I don;t much like it, but dogs don;t do Disney World to well.

My dog has seizures, so we board it at our vet in their hospital

There are other benefits sure, but the most important of course is housetraining and any system that ensures the dog never develops the habit of pissing in the house is going to work.
I like it for the safety of the dog when it was younger. if the wife and I had to leave the house for a few hours, I didn't want a 6 month old puppy chewing on electrical wires or choking on a towel or something while we were away. not sure what I would have done without the crate if you can't take the dog everywhere you go.

And for God's sake, NCC would just like a ####### haircut without all the frou-frou, is that too much to ask?

I like it for the safety of the dog when it was younger. if the wife and I had to leave the house for a few hours, I didn't want a 6 month old puppy chewing on electrical wires or choking on a towel or something while we were away. not sure what I would have done without the crate if you can't take the dog everywhere you go.
True. Though, I like it for more selfish reasons. I don't want to have to replace electrical wires, towels, etc. If my dog had gotten a little shock from chewing on an electrical wire as a pup, I wouldn't have been too offended. And if he choked to death on a towel, well, that might've been a Darwin thing.

But yeah, I agree. It seems good crating habits tend to help out with everything.

BTW, do any of you crate little dogs? I'm not sure I've ever met a little dog owner that crated.

Of course, I've never met too many little dog owners that bothered to do much training of any kind (anecdotal, I know).

Crate training is great for potty training. My gf and I did it for the first month with our new puppy. Now he sleeps in bed with us, but has never once pottied in the house while we slept. If anything he sleeps later than we do and have to drag him out of bed.

What you cannot do when getting a new puppy is leave them locked in a crate during the day while you go to work, or run errands. You always need to leave them an "out." We lock up the puppy in a small pen with toys and doggy pee pads. He hasn't actually used the pee pad in 2 months, but when he was 8-12 weeks old he would if we weren't able to let him out for a few hours.

He's now 95% potty trained and only ever has an issue if we aren't paying enough attention to his signals that he's got to go.

By the way not planning on arguing crate for the next several pages. You're good with it? Then rock on. I don't see much value in them and for me old fashioned methods work just fine.
Nope, you are the minority on this one. Be prepared to get flogged by everyone that wants to prove they know what's best for everyone in every situation.

Labs are the best family dogs. We had Bailey, our yellow lab, for 16 years. When we had to put him down, we waited a year and a half and got Louie, who is now 2. He's a beast. 101 pounds of muscle (sire was named Diesel, for good reason). These dogs are lovers. They crave people. They are very happy by nature. Louie is an English lab. Big head, big body. They do take some work. Need lots of exercise. We walk him 2-3 times a day plus play time with tug of war, fetching balls, etc. He's either all on or, like now, he's crashed on one of those big Costco dog beds. We have 3 in the house. We have a doggie door so he can come and go as he pleases.

Other notes - we only feed him good, grain free dog food. Put him on an automatic feeder twice a day. We made the mistake of giving Bailey table scraps. Not good.

The only downside with labs is the shedding. On every other level they are a 10 out of 10. Wouldn't think of keeping him outside. If we take him for a walk we can leave him in the house for up to 8 hours and he'll just crash until we come home.

If you get a shelter lab, make sure it's not a pit mix.

By the way not planning on arguing crate for the next several pages. You're good with it? Then rock on. I don't see much value in them and for me old fashioned methods work just fine.
Nope, you are the minority on this one. Be prepared to get flogged by everyone that wants to prove they know what's best for everyone in every situation.
Even their ask every trainer thing rings a bit false. Trainers make clear crates aren't for every dog. And in fact if your dog is potty trained and not a chewer why are you using the crate? Is a question that trainers ask.

And I have been flogged before, I'll live.

Labs are the best family dogs. We had Bailey, our yellow lab, for 16 years. When we had to put him down, we waited a year and a half and got Louie, who is now 2. He's a beast. 101 pounds of muscle (sire was named Diesel, for good reason). These dogs are lovers. They crave people. They are very happy by nature. Louie is an English lab. Big head, big body. They do take some work. Need lots of exercise. We walk him 2-3 times a day plus play time with tug of war, fetching balls, etc. He's either all on or, like now, he's crashed on one of those big Costco dog beds. We have 3 in the house. We have a doggie door so he can come and go as he pleases.

Other notes - we only feed him good, grain free dog food. Put him on an automatic feeder twice a day. We made the mistake of giving Bailey table scraps. Not good.

The only downside with labs is the shedding. On every other level they are a 10 out of 10. Wouldn't think of keeping him outside. If we take him for a walk we can leave him in the house for up to 8 hours and he'll just crash until we come home.

If you get a shelter lab, make sure it's not a pit mix.
Labs really are awesome kid dogs.

Crate training is great for potty training. My gf and I did it for the first month with our new puppy. Now he sleeps in bed with us, but has never once pottied in the house while we slept. If anything he sleeps later than we do and have to drag him out of bed.

What you cannot do when getting a new puppy is leave them locked in a crate during the day while you go to work, or run errands. You always need to leave them an "out." We lock up the puppy in a small pen with toys and doggy pee pads. He hasn't actually used the pee pad in 2 months, but when he was 8-12 weeks old he would if we weren't able to let him out for a few hours.

He's now 95% potty trained and only ever has an issue if we aren't paying enough attention to his signals that he's got to go.
Louie was potty trained when we picked him up at 8 weeks from the breeder. Went straight to the side of the yard. Now, he mostly goes when we take him on morning or afternoon walks. He'll scratch the slider door window when he wants to go outside to pee, etc. As for crate training, we ONLY crated him at night for the first 9 months. He was fine. Good for him and us. When younger and teething we had a few issues when he would chew on a baseboard or something, so when crated we didn't have to worry about him. Never crated him during the day. It's not a babysitter. After he matured we started letting him come upstairs and now he has a bed in the corner of our Master bedroom. He crashes there every night until he hears the click of his feeder go off at 7am, then he sprints downstairs and starts his day.

Even their ask every trainer thing rings a bit false. Trainers make clear crates aren't for every dog. And in fact if your dog is potty trained and not a chewer why are you using the crate? Is a question that trainers ask.

The only thing I'd mention to you is that said you were up every 2 hours. With the crate we quickly get to just once a night until their bladder is large enough to hold it all night. I think the crate helps limit the times you get up because it takes the guesswork out of it. When it really has to go it'll start making a fuss because it can't get out of the crate and that's a lot less than every two hours.

The only thing I'd mention to you is that said you were up every 2 hours. With the crate we quickly get to just once a night until their bladder is large enough to hold it all night. I think the crate helps limit the times you get up because it takes the guesswork out of it. When it really has to go it'll start making a fuss because it can't get out of the crate and that's a lot less than every two hours.
Trainers say that a puppy should be in a crate no more than the same number of hours as months old he is plus one. And no dog should ever be in a crate more than 8 hours. That's trainers not me.

I'm in the "no outs" camp. Obviously, it requires making sure somebody can come let them out every few hours, but I never liked the idea of encouraging any sort of pissing in the house.

Well i have kids and to go on a trip with them we sort of have to board the dog. I don;t much like it, but dogs don;t do Disney World to well.

Makes sense. Sorry your dog has seizures poor thing.
yeah, the first time it happened it scared the bejeesus out of me

she is on phenobarbital and it helps a lot

which brings up another topic....pet insurance, worth it? I have not investigated but I believe it may be worth it

I'm in the "no outs" camp. Obviously, it requires making sure somebody can come let them out every few hours, but I never liked the idea of encouraging any sort of pissing in the house.
Our trainer said it's worse long term if they ever go potty in their crate.

Makes sense. Sorry your dog has seizures poor thing.
yeah, the first time it happened it scared the bejeesus out of me

she is on phenobarbital and it helps a lot

which brings up another topic....pet insurance, worth it? I have not investigated but I believe it may be worth it
I've read its only worth it if your dog ever has a MAJOR emergency surgery. You end up paying $600 in premiums and then if they have a $1500 surgery one year and you only have to pay $700. So you save $200.

Now if you pay $600 and he needs a 10k surgery it makes sense. We opted against it.

Trainers say that a puppy should be in a crate no more than the same number of hours as months old he is plus one. And no dog should ever be in a crate more than 8 hours. That's trainers not me.
Apparently you sleep a lot longer than I do.

Can you afford a random $5k hit if someone major happens? If you can, "gamble" and don't get the insurance. If not, get the insurance.

I've heard of that happening and imagine it sucks.

I've never trained a dog less than 12 weeks old, so I'm sure it's different for the younger ones. Ours was fine at 12 weeks holding it for for 3-4 hours at a time, and it wasn't too long before he was fine overnight.

In that sort of scenario, I think a crate small enough to where a puppy is highly unlikely to go is preferred.

I'd think either way is fine depending on the situation.

Can you afford a random $5k hit if someone major happens? If you can, "gamble" and don't get the insurance. If not, get the insurance.
We have it and its been worth it. With 4 dogs there's always some reason we're going to the vet. We learned after one of ours broke his leg/wrist and we were hit with a $3k bill.

I've heard of that happening and imagine it sucks.

I've never trained a dog less than 12 weeks old, so I'm sure it's different for the younger ones. Ours was fine at 12 weeks holding it for for 3-4 hours at a time, and it wasn't too long before he was fine overnight.

In that sort of scenario, I think a crate small enough to where a puppy is highly unlikely to go is preferred.

I'd think either way is fine depending on the situation.
I think her point was that the crate is considered their "den" and if they get used to peeing or pooping in their crate they won't care as much about doing in the house since they already soil their "den"

Having just gone through raising a puppy, they literally piss and #### 10+ times a day. I don't see how it would be possible to crate them outside of bed time and not have them pee or poop in the crate. Even if its less than the "hours based on age" criteria. The pen worked with our little guy even though we were able to stop in every day no more than every 4 hours. Now he runs to the front door when he needs to go and we even have a bell that he'll brush up against most of the time if he wants to go out.

bigbottom said:
If you and your wife are neat freaks and don't like shedding, I'd seriously suggest getting a breed that doesn't shed a lot (or at all). Why put yourself through the headache of dealing with dog hair everywhere if it bothers you? There are a number of options if you do some research. Like you, my wife and I are neat freaks and can't stand dog hair. We've had our dog for a couple years now and I have yet to find a single dog hair on the furniture or the rug. I'm not kidding, or exaggerating. Not a single hair. Of course, we get our dog groomed pretty regularly. Also, it's not likely a dog you would like (around 10 pounds), but she fits great with our lifestyle (neuroses) and we love her.
Mexican hairless?

I'll be another advocate for crate training.

Go with a mixed breed over a purebred. I'll personally advocate for a boxer mutt. Considered the clowns of the canine world. Very smart, friendly, and playful.
Boxers are very cool

they look tough but in my experience are anything but
boxers are fantastic dogs. Big fan. Jayrod should definitely not get one.
Agree. Total clowns that love being with the family.

bigbottom said:
If you and your wife are neat freaks and don't like shedding, I'd seriously suggest getting a breed that doesn't shed a lot (or at all). Why put yourself through the headache of dealing with dog hair everywhere if it bothers you? There are a number of options if you do some research. Like you, my wife and I are neat freaks and can't stand dog hair. We've had our dog for a couple years now and I have yet to find a single dog hair on the furniture or the rug. I'm not kidding, or exaggerating. Not a single hair. Of course, we get our dog groomed pretty regularly. Also, it's not likely a dog you would like (around 10 pounds), but she fits great with our lifestyle (neuroses) and we love her.
Mexican hairless?
Yes, she is. That may be why she doesn't like dog hair. Our dog is a shih-poo.

I wish I could board my Jack Russell because I travel 2 weeks out of every month for work and usually take 2 - week long overseas vacations a year.

She was in a shelter for so long that anywhere close to a place where many dogs are kept in cages freaks her out to no end. She was adopted and brought back to the shelter 3 times I'm convinced she would suffer some sort of breakdown in that environment.

That said, she's very comfortable staying overnight in our home alone (not crated) as long as she gets a visit early in the morning, noon time and before bed from the dog walker. Although it's EXTREMELY expensive to go this route over time, it's nice that she's never had an "incident" with going to the bathroom or chewing something in the house while I was away.

Boarding would make things much easier with cost and scheduling the dog walker, but I just don't think there's any chance she could handle it.

bigbottom said:
Mexican hairless?
Our dog is a shih-poo.
Seems redundant

Jayrod said:
hagmania said:
I take it you don't live out in the country.
Well we won't be. Living with my grandma at the moment (LOOK AT ME!!!)
Sounds like ideal conditions for taking in large animals.

:thumbup:
:confused: We are waiting on a short sale. Once done, we will have a 4,000 sqft home on a .85 acre wooded lot and won't be getting a dog until after the move.

bigbottom said:
Mexican hairless?
Our dog is a shih-poo.
Seems redundant
if its a girl its a she shih-poo

bigbottom said:
Mexican hairless?
Our dog is a shih-poo.
Seems redundant
if its a girl its a she shih-poo
and if she is fancy, and someone asked what you stepped in,

shi-shi shih-poo poo

Sounds like ideal conditions for taking in large animals.

:thumbup:
:confused: We are waiting on a short sale. Once done, we will have a 4,000 sqft home on a .85 acre wooded lot and won't be getting a dog until after the move.
Wait... I thought it was .6 acres? This changes everything

Sounds like ideal conditions for taking in large animals. :thumbup:
Wait... I thought it was .6 acres? This changes everything
.6 is just the fenced in lot.Your parents must have kept you outside growing up!

Update time!

So this week we were able to bring home Moose, a cute 3 month old lab-border collie mix. He has adjusted well so far with just a handful of accidents. The whole family (2 kids & 3 adults) have fallen in love with him.

We got him from a local Humane Society which was a wonderful way to go. His first vet appointment is today. Here are some pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134959755@N03/shares/91G1k1

Only problem is that it has rained every day this week, so he hasn't gotten a ton of ourtdoor time yet.

And a side note, we did not end up getting the original house as the short sale fell through. We are now in a house with a 1.4 acre lot and more woods.

ETA: yes he is living indoors and we are crate training him.

Update time!

So this week we were able to bring home Moose, a cute 3 month old lab-border collie mix. He has adjusted well so far with just a handful of accidents. The whole family (2 kids & 3 adults) have fallen in love with him.

We got him from a local Humane Society which was a wonderful way to go. His first vet appointment is today. Here are some pics:

Only problem is that it has rained every day this week, so he hasn't gotten a ton of our door time yet.

And a sidenote, we did not end up getting the original house as the short sale fell through. We are now in a house with a 1.4 acre lot and more woods.

Awesome. Great looking dog, love the name, and good on you for changing your views. May you give each other love for the remainder of your lives. :thumbup:

Update time!

Only problem is that it has rained every day this week, so he hasn't gotten a ton of ourtdoor time yet.

And a side note, we did not end up getting the original house as the short sale fell through. We are now in a house with a 1.4 acre lot and more woods.

:hifive:

Always Rescue shelters never breeders for us .. :)

Update time!

Big paws, going to be a decent sized dog.

Update time!

Big paws, going to be a decent sized dog.
Yup. We were anticipating a big dog and got a massive kennel with a partition wall to make it smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread