What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP 2007 NFL Draft Thread (3 Viewers)

1.17 -- JARVIS MOSS -- Denver Broncos

Who'd they think was taking him in the next three picks?

Jim Bates type of rush end -- a guy that can be flanked well outside the tackles with his hand down to maximize his speed. Potential to be a very good edge rusher but struggles in run support. Broncos obviously think highly of him so he'll almost certainly open the season at RDE. Long term IDP value in standard leagues dependent on whether he develops into enough of a player in run support to get some good tackle numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the pick but Shanny gave up too much.

He probably would have still been there at 21.

He just gave up a 3rd rnd pick???

Okay, putting the homer hat on here. If the Bengals take Greg Olsen as some have suggested, I'm turning off this keyboard.

This almost has to be Leon Hall. A lot of helpful defensive players here though -- Posluszny, Ross, Griffin, etc.

1.18 -- LEON HALL -- Cincinnati Bengals

Scouts differ on just how good he may be in man coverage, but he should form the other half of a solid CB tandem with Johnathan Joseph for the next few seasons at least. Aggressive and instinctive with a history of making plays in college. Good in run support. Could become a very good IDP option at corner. Probably becomes the primary punt returner too.

1.19 -- MICHAEL GRIFFIN -- Tennessee Titans

Interesting decision. Titans unquestionably need a safety but Griffin is more of a SS type than FS and Hope is already entrenched at SS. Really isn’t a great cover guy with shaky instincts, although some thought he showed some improvement during the Senior Bowl week. Should walk into the starting FS job, but unlikely to have top value with two solid pursuing OLBs and Hope surrounding him.

1.18 -- LEON HALL -- Cincinnati Bengals

Scouts differ on just how good he may be in man coverage, but he should form the other half of a solid CB tandem with Johnathan Joseph for the next few seasons at least. Aggressive and instinctive with a history of making plays in college. Good in run support. Could become a very good IDP option at corner. Probably becomes the primary punt returner too.
So what are his prior convictions then?Sorry, had to say it. :)

Interesting decision. Titans unquestionably need a safety but Griffin is more of a SS type than FS and Hope is already entrenched at SS. Really isn’t a great cover guy with shaky instincts, although some thought he showed some improvement during the Senior Bowl week. Should walk into the starting FS job, but unlikely to have top value with two solid pursuing OLBs and Hope surrounding him.
You don't see much of an impact on Hope's numbers ?

I like the pick but Shanny gave up too much.He probably would have still been there at 21.He just gave up a 3rd rnd pick???
Mystery Theater.Shanny will probably cover why, though, in the post draft coverage. He generally doesn't part with a pick(s) unless there's a good reason. :)

You don't see much of an impact on Hope's numbers ?
I'd like to hear how they're planning on using him. They really need a coverage guy with Jones out and Hope is already an in-the-box guy. If the Titans were truly impressed with his cover skills, this could be a Knight-Wesley situation where both have good value. I think Hope's numbers could take a hit if they go the interchangeable route. I suppose it's possible that they put Hope into more of a coverage role or play more Cover-2 looks with Harper the only legitimate corner. Hope played well in coverage last year and did well in Pittsburgh as well.I'm not sure what to think here just yet.

1.20 -- AARON ROSS -- New York Giants

Perfect fit here. Steve Spagnuolo bringing a Jim Johnson like aggressive scheme to New York and he'll need a couple of decent aggressive man cover corners with run support ability to pull it off. Some pretty nice IDP potential here with skill set well married to scheme.

Perfect fit here. Steve Spagnuolo bringing a Jim Johnson like aggressive scheme to New York and he'll need a couple of decent aggressive man cover corners with run support ability to pull it off. Some pretty nice IDP potential here with skill set well married to scheme.
It's also critical for the Giants to bolster their CB's in what's become a pretty good passing division with Romo's emergence and Campbell showing promise in Saunders' system. They were right to skip a LB with this pick - nobody was good enough to grab there.

Poluszny & Beason left on the board, surely going to NE & Indy now? Or are Carolina & New Orleans still options?

1.21 -- REGGIE NELSON -- Jacksonville Jaguars

Jaguars have a need at safety, so Nelson is yet another rookie with a clear path to a starting position. But he's unlikely to have any more value than Deon Grant did at FS, which wasn't much. The Jags play all kinds of different coverages and use their safeties interchangeably in run support. Late rumblings and whispers weren't very favorable to Nelson, saying he wasn't intelligent enough to handle a complex coverage scheme. On the flip side, some scouts -- John Murphy in particular -- is really high on Nelson's two way skill and think he could provide big help in both run support and coverage, where he has a lot of big play potential.

I'm a little lukewarm on his value today -- can't get Deon Grant out of my head -- but he's worth following pretty closely this pre-season to see just how effective he can be in the boxscore.

Poluszny & Beason left on the board, surely going to NE & Indy now? Or are Carolina & New Orleans still options?
Someone's probably going to Philadelphia. And NE is apparently interested in David Harris at ILB, although I've seen Beason mocked there also.

Someone's probably going to Philadelphia. And NE is apparently interested in David Harris at ILB, although I've seen Beason mocked there also.
Really? I thought they were almost happy with their Lb corps. Still, it would be great for Keiaho owners & increases the possibility of Steve Smith becoming one of Peyton's weapons as Bloom predicted.

Would Poz in Indy kill Keiaho ? Or is SLB a possibility for the rookie ?
Poz is the kind of player who could play SLB in the Tampa-2 scheme. From what Polian said this week, though, if they take a backer early it'll be to put him in the playmaking position. And Keiaho took snaps at SLB on the second team last year.

Poz is the kind of player who could play SLB in the Tampa-2 scheme. From what Polian said this week, though, if they take a backer early it'll be to put him in the playmaking position. And Keiaho took snaps at SLB on the second team last year.
Yeah just have to wait and see, there's going to be some pretty damn good wideouts left on the board when the Colts pick as well.

Really? I thought they were almost happy with their Lb corps. Still, it would be great for Keiaho owners & increases the possibility of Steve Smith becoming one of Peyton's weapons as Bloom predicted.
Depends on what you mean by almost. I think they're comfortable with Spikes and Gaither, and they apparently still think McCoy can be successful. But they're looking for excuses to push Trotter out the door (he's fat, his knees are bad, his axe dance is tired, he throws like a girl...). The Eagles never take backers early -- they aren't a priority for Jim Johnson -- so they may wait to address the position.

Yeah just have to wait and see, there's going to be some pretty damn good wideouts left on the board when the Colts pick as well.
I don't think the Colts take a WR. I think the pick will be Beason or Branch if they are still on the board.

I don't think the Colts take a WR. I think the pick will be Beason or Branch if they are still on the board.
I forgot about Branch, that would be a fantastic pickup for Indy

1.24 -- BRANDON MERIWEATHER -- New England Patriots

Character schmaracter. :popcorn:

This guy might be the best overall safety in the draft after Laron Landry. Much better run supporter than his size. Very good cover guy who projects well over slot receivers. Projects to FS here, which hasn't been a great IDP spot in Belichick's 3-4 hybrid. Better option in big play leagues than standard leagues but may have enough big play ability to be a starter in all formats until the Patriots find the heir to Rodney Harrison.

Jene, thanks for doing this. I'm pretty decent with offensive players but I don't always see how IDP's fit into systems so this is much appreciated.

What a deal by Dallas!!! They essentially dropped 4 slots, picked up a 1st next year and only gave up a 3rd and a 5th. Wow!!

1.25 -- JON BEASON -- Carolina Panthers

Hmmm...I don't know if I want to speculate here.

Beason projects to OLB at 235 pounds, but so did DeMeco Ryans after the Texans drafted him. You have to think that the position of highest need across the LB is at Mike with Na'il Diggs and (theoretically) James Anderson battling to play Will. So...one of the two -- Anderson or Beason -- is the future Mike. I think Beason is the better player and the better playmaker. You'd have to think he's the early favorite at Mike, but I'm withholding judgment until the Panthers speak up.

Sure looks he could be the leader in the clubhouse for the #1 overall rookie backer right now though.

This is all assuming Dan Morgan doesn't make it out of camp. If Morgan is healthy, Beason plays the Will.

1.26 -- ANTHONY SPENCER -- Dallas Cowboys

And Chaos Commish throws his laptop...

Meh. I really liked Spencer as this season's Tamba Hali. Undersized guy with a decent first step who was much stronger in run support than he looked. Now he looks in nearly every way like his fellow alumnus Shaun Phillips. He'll play the LOLB role in this defense (where Merriman played) but Ware at ROLB will get the bulk of the best pass rushing opportunities. He goes from a potential nice RDE to a very suspect OLB prospect in IDP terms.

Ah well.

And it probably means Bobby Carpenter stays inside (nod to WD).

Jene, thanks for doing this. I'm pretty decent with offensive players but I don't always see how IDP's fit into systems so this is much appreciated.
Stick with us. We'll coach you up.
Beason huh. Could this be the end of the FBG IDP forum's romance with James Anderson?
Will Witherspoon had plenty of value next to Dan Morgan. Anderson could still have nice value next to Beason if that's how it works out, but you're right, this very likely kills whatever pipe dream I had about Anderson in the middle.

Hmm....Darin Gantt says the early line is that Beason is Witherspoon, Jr. Obviously that's the case until Dan Morgan sneezes.

Oh, Freddy-Freddy!

Well, that about does it for me - I'll read the rest later on. Australia just won the world cup, it's 8.30am and I think after a big night on the sauce, it's time for bed.

See you guys for day two.

2.32 -- ALAN BRANCH -- Arizona Cardinals

Another piece for the 3-4 side of the new Cardinal hybrid. Arizona trades up to grab the sliding Branch, who should quickly move into a rotation with Kendrick Clancy. No IDP value for him, but he's the kind of player who can make the play of the backers behind much better.

2.33 -- PAUL POSLUSZNY -- Buffalo Bills

This probably ensures that Angelo Crowell remains in the middle and is a massive upgrade over the current OLB group. Posluszny played inside last year at PSU, but projects to the outside here. He's similar to AJ Hawk and Chad Greenway -- bigger guys with speed and above average coverage skills. The rub here is that Ellison is more likely to play the ROLB spot than Posluszny, which will blunt some of Posluszny's future value as it did Crowell's last year. Still, Posluszny will a three down player and have reasonable value. But, as the projected LOLB, he won't have Tampa-2 WLB value.

Nice draft for the Bills.

Posluszny is a great fit for the Bills. If Crowell doesn't work out at MLB for whatever reason or god forbid gets hurt, I think Poz could step in there. If Crowell holds onto the MLB job, Poz should be a massive upgrade at SLB and could eventually shift to WLB if Ellison doesn't work out.

Great character guy. Seems like a DeMeco Ryans type addition to me.

At this point, without further knowledge, how do you rank the top 5 LBs drafted today from a fantasy perspective?

Jon Beason's interview with beat writers at Panthers.com:

Thinks he can be successful at any position. Thinks he can stand up to the middle linebacker role physically if Dan Morgan can't play due to injury. Sounds like he does not yet know where he'll play or be on the depth chart.

Charlotte Observer beat writer Pat Yasinskus sees Beason as an "insurance policy" at MLB.

2.37 -- ERIC WEDDLE -- San Diego Chargers

Chargers jump up to get a guy they must have had high in Weddle. Weddle should step right into the starting SS role next to Marlon McCree. Doesn't really have one elite skill and looks a little more like a FS on paper than a SS, but the Chargers have always been on record as wanting both safeties to cover well. If Weddle can hold up in-the-box over a full season at his size he could have big IDP value, especially if the Chargers ILB unit struggles to adjust.

At this point, without further knowledge, how do you rank the top 5 LBs drafted today from a fantasy perspective?
Immediate Value:WillisBeason -- looks like the WLB if the season were to begin todayPosluszny -- close to Beason, but LOLB hurts his value just enoughTimmonsSpencerLong Term Value:BeasonWillisTimmons (very close to Willis under the assumption PIT moves to 4-3 T2)PoslusznySpencer

2.37 -- ERIC WEDDLE -- San Diego Chargers

Chargers jump up to get a guy they must have had high in Weddle. Weddle should step right into the starting SS role next to Marlon McCree. Doesn't really have one elite skill and looks a little more like a FS on paper than a SS, but the Chargers have always been on record as wanting both safeties to cover well. If Weddle can hold up in-the-box over a full season at his size he could have big IDP value, especially if the Chargers ILB unit struggles to adjust.
Weddle comes up with plays that turn the ball over to his Offense: he's a INT, forced fumble, fumble recovery guy.....big play guy.If he can add a respectable number of tackles to that resume, you've got a winner. :popcorn:

Immediate Value:WillisBeason -- looks like the WLB if the season were to begin todayPosluszny -- close to Beason, but LOLB hurts his value just enoughTimmonsSpencerLong Term Value:BeasonWillisTimmons (very close to Willis under the assumption PIT moves to 4-3 T2)PoslusznySpencer
Thanks

No word on Posluszny's depth chart position yet either.

WGR 550 AM

Jauron said he wasn't sure whether they would use their new linebacker on the inside or outside.

"He played them both and he played them pretty well," **** Jauron said, adding that the Bills won't have him slotted anywhere, though Posluszny has a preference.

ETA: FWIW, Bloom feels he'll be slotted in the middle in his post on the NFLDG live blog.

Users who are viewing this thread