What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP rookie (1 Viewer)

blake

Footballguy
Hey gurus, I could really use your help. I'm commissioner of a 12 team league and this year we're adding IDP. Yet the only problem is, I have no clue how to affix point scoring. We were going to go with starting spots of only 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DL and 1 flex position of DL/DB/DL for the first year. I was also going to add two extra roster spots for reserves.So far, I have this:The scoring will be basic: 1 pt per tackle, 1/2 point per assist, 3 points for INT, 2 pts for sack, 6 pts. for TD. However, I have no clue what to do for a safety, forced/recovered fumbles or passes defended? Another thing I wasn't sure about is if a half sack (assist) should be 2 points? I was also thinking that 4 points for a sack and 5 for an INT is reasonable?How is the current scoring setup? Would you suggest any changes?Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be the 4th year of my 14 team, IDP league. Here is a simple break down of our lineup and scoring system.2 DL2 LB2 DB2 flexThere are 8 offensive players including a kicker (16 total starters)Tackles:DB/LB 3 pts tackle 1 pt assist DL4 pts tackle2 pts assistPass Defended:DL/LB/DB5 ptsSacks: (5 bonus pts per 3 sacks)DB 7 pts per 0.5 sack 3 sacks: 14X3+5=47 pts DL/LB5 pts per 0.5 sack3 sacks: 10X3+5=35 ptsFumble Recovered: (our site does not allow us to track forced fumbles)DL/LB/DB15 ptsDefensive/Special Teams TD:DL/LB/DB20 pts1 bonus pt per 10 yards50 yard INT TD = 1X(50/10)+20=25 pts50 yard punt return TD = 1X(50/10)+20=25 ptsINTs:DB/LB 15 pts per INT DL20 pts per INTThis scoring system has been tweaked through the few years we have been playing and it seems to work well. However, you should take into consideration the scoring system of your offense as well. Our league uses a performance type of scoring system and bonus points. In other words, our offenses score fairly high compared to the average FFL. 100 yard performance is 20 pts (10 pts per 100 yards and 10 pts for bonus of 5 bonus pts per 50 yards).Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
nortobc, thank you SO much for that detailed guide. i'm still looking it over but hopefully it's ok if i adopt some of those scoring methods.do you think that scoring system would work for a REALLY shallow setup of 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB and 1 flex though?

This will be the 4th year of my 14 team, IDP league. Here is a simple break down of our lineup and scoring system.

2 DL

2 LB

2 DB

2 flex

There are 8 offensive players including a kicker (16 total starters)

Tackles:

DB/LB

3 pts tackle

1 pt assist

DL

4 pts tackle

2 pts assist

Pass Defended:

DL/LB/DB

5 pts

Sacks: (5 bonus pts per 3 sacks)

DB

7 pts per 0.5 sack

3 sacks: 14X3+5=47 pts

DL/LB

5 pts per 0.5 sack

3 sacks: 10X3+5=35 pts

Fumble Recovered: (our site does not allow us to track forced fumbles)

DL/LB/DB

15 pts

Defensive/Special Teams TD:

DL/LB/DB

20 pts

1 bonus pt per 10 yards

50 yard INT TD = 1X(50/10)+20=25 pts

50 yard punt return TD = 1X(50/10)+20=25 pts

INTs:

DB/LB

15 pts per INT

DL

20 pts per INT

This scoring system has been tweaked through the few years we have been playing and it seems to work well. However, you should take into consideration the scoring system of your offense as well. Our league uses a performance type of scoring system and bonus points. In other words, our offenses score fairly high compared to the average FFL. 100 yard performance is 20 pts (10 pts per 100 yards and 10 pts for bonus of 5 bonus pts per 50 yards).

Hope this helps.
Wow, what are your final scores, 1200-1195? LOL

nortobc, thank you SO much for that detailed guide. i'm still looking it over but hopefully it's ok if i adopt some of those scoring methods.

do you think that scoring system would work for a REALLY shallow setup of 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB and 1 flex though?
I would have to know how many starters are on offense and what the scoring system is on offense. The main objective is to equalize the scoring on both sides of the ball so the offense and defense are of equal importance. You don't want the offense to outscore the defense 2 to 1 because that will make the offense that much more important.You should give this system shot, or at least perform some mock games to check out the scores. With our league games consisting of 8 offense and 8 defensive players, the teams scored between 300 and 500 points. However, most games are closer than you would think. We usually have 2 or 3 ties in a season. Feel free to use this scoring system.

Well, basically this is our offensive lineup requirements:1 QB2 RB3 WR1 TE1 K1 flex offensive player (any position of the above)My idea was to have only four defensive players per team this year and not let anyone keep these players for the 2006 season. Then, in the 2006 season, expand the IDP requirements even more. Like you say, having an equal amount of starters on offense AND defense sounds really good.I can't see why it would be difficult to have 9 defensive starters. Maybe simply have 3 DB, 3 DL and 3 LB. Or 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB and 3 flex.I'll definitely keep this in mind for the 2006 season as we warm up this year as a league. Thanks again for your time - really helpful.

Here is my league's scoring system for offense:FG - Field Goals 3 pointsPlus 1 point for a FG of 50 to 59 YdsPlus 2 points for a FG of 60+ YdsPa2P - Passing Two-point Conversion 2 pointsPaInt - Passing Interception -2 pointsPaTD - Passing TD 4 pointsPlus 1 point for a PaTD of 40+ YdsPaYd - Passing Yards 150 - 199 PaYds = 3 points200 - 249 PaYds = 6 points250 - 299 PaYds = 9 points300 - 349 PaYds = 12 points350 - 399 PaYds = 15 points400 - 449 PaYds = 18 points450 - 499 PaYds = 21 points500+ PaYds = 25 pointsPlus a 3 point bonus @ 300+ PaYdPlus a 3 point bonus @ 400+ PaYdRe2P - Receiving Two-point Conversion 2 pointsReTD - Receiving TD 6 pointsPlus 1 point for a ReTD of 20 to 39 YdsPlus 2 points for a ReTD of 40+ YdsReYd - Receiving Yards 50 - 74 ReYds = 3 points75 - 99 ReYds = 6 points100 - 124 ReYds = 9 points125 - 149 ReYds = 12 points150 - 174 ReYds = 15 points175 - 199 ReYds = 18 points200+ ReYds = 25 pointsPlus a 3 point bonus @ 100+ ReYdPlus a 3 point bonus @ 200+ ReYdRu2P - Rushing Two-point Conversion 2 pointsRuTD - Rushing TD 6 pointsPlus 1 point for a RuTD of 20 to 39 YdsPlus 2 points for a RuTD of 40+ YdsRuYd - Rushing Yards 50 - 74 RuYds = 3 points75 - 99 RuYds = 6 points100 - 124 RuYds = 9 points125 - 149 RuYds = 12 points150 - 174 RuYds = 15 points175 - 199 RuYds = 18 points200+ RuYds = 25 pointsPlus a 3 point bonus @ 100+ RuYdPlus a 3 point bonus @ 200+ RuYdXP - Extra Points 1 point1 point per catch

Well, basically this is our offensive lineup requirements:

1 QB

2 RB

3 WR

1 TE

1 K

1 flex offensive player (any position of the above)

My idea was to have only four defensive players per team this year and not let anyone keep these players for the 2006 season. Then, in the 2006 season, expand the IDP requirements even more. Like you say, having an equal amount of starters on offense AND defense sounds really good.

I can't see why it would be difficult to have 9 defensive starters. Maybe simply have 3 DB, 3 DL and 3 LB. Or 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB and 3 flex.

I'll definitely keep this in mind for the 2006 season as we warm up this year as a league. Thanks again for your time - really helpful.
I would go with the "2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB and 3 flex" fomat. This will allow teams to use a variety of positions and have different strategies.From viewing your offensive scoring system, you might want to decrease the scoring of the defense I provided. My league's offense scores roughly %75 higher than your offense.

EX: A QB who throws for 375yrds in my league gets 30pts and your league gets 18 pts. RB who runs for 100 yrds in my league gets 20pts and your league gets 12 pts.

Perhaps a sack in your league should be 6 points compared to 10 points in my league. This is just a suggestion to even out the off/def scoring.

nortobc, thanks again for your help. i apologize for my delay in responding as i was on vacation, but this is REALLY helpful. i'll try and tweak your scoring to fit my league parameters, but this is a great start. thanks so much for putting in your scoring system for me.

Hey gurus, I could really use your help. I'm commissioner of a 12 team league and this year we're adding IDP. Yet the only problem is, I have no clue how to affix point scoring. We were going to go with starting spots of only 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DL and 1 flex position of DL/DB/DL for the first year. I was also going to add two extra roster spots for reserves.

So far, I have this:

The scoring will be basic: 1 pt per tackle, 1/2 point per assist, 3 points for INT, 2 pts for sack, 6 pts. for TD.

However, I have no clue what to do for a safety, forced/recovered fumbles or passes defended? Another thing I wasn't sure about is if a half sack (assist) should be 2 points? I was also thinking that 4 points for a sack and 5 for an INT is reasonable?

How is the current scoring setup? Would you suggest any changes?

Thanks in advance for the help.
we play 3 DL

4 LB

2 S

2 CB

1 pt per tackle

1 pt per assist

1 pt per FF

2 pt Fum Rec

2 pt Safety

4 pt TD

1 pt per PD

2 pt per Int (you cannot get a INT without being credited a PD)

2 pt per sack

our average DEF score comes to 60-65 pts

Hope it helps

Tom

What you can do is take a position like WR figure out what top WR's scored last year. Then take your top IDP last year and try to get the top WR's score and the top IDP to match or get close.We score 2pts per tackle1pt half tackle3pt sacks5pt fumble recovery5pt forced fumble5pt Interceptionand 1pt per 10yds returned10pts blocked kick and safety - however these are rare thats why they are so high. I figured these plays are gamebreakers and they should be in fantasy too.Also possession changes are high cause they change an NFL game outcome.This made WR's and top IDP's rank somewhat the same WR's go late first thru the third mostly and IDP's usually start going after.The only down side is you have to pull ur heart strings not to take that IDP quick cause it feels they should outscore WR on a week to week basis.

I started an IDP dynasty a few years ago and at first all of the regular players from our previous offense only league were skeptical or didn't want to do it. The mani issue that came up was how balanced will the scoring be etc… I used my lineup rules and the prior years’ player rankings and points scored at each respective position to run a bunch of analysis that would show the different splits between IDP and offensive scoring for each week using a mock 12 team league. This was to make sure that offensive scoring was 55% on average and 45% for IDP. I also set it so that LB would be similar to RB in value and DB would be similar to WR in value. DL is similar to TE in value (ie. the top guys are very valuable, but after that it is much less important). I ran a ton of scenarios thanks to excel VBA and ended up using the following which I think has worked out great. 8 offensive players (ESPN performance scoring)QBRBWRx3Flex TEPK8 IDP (1.25/tck, .5/ast, 4/sack, 3/ff, 2/fr, 4/int, 2/pd – remember and int = int+pd so 6pts total)DLx2LBx2DBx2FLEXx2So your defense can have either LBx3/DBx3 or LBx2/DBx4 or LBx4/DBx2 (most common and valuable)I hope this helps.

You are on the right track. We are in our 13th season and our scoring has evolved to what it is now (we started similar to your scoring system) -1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR (includes TE if you want one), 1 K, 2 DL, 2LB, 2 DB and 1 Monster (any def position). So we have 7 offense and 7 defense starters. We also draft 12 reserves to cover bye weeks/injuries, etc.).Our defensive scoring is -1 point per UT, .5 pt Assisted Tackle (DL only), 2 pts for first 2 sacks, 3 pts each additional sack, 1 pt for each half sack, 2 pts int, 2 pts safety, 6 pts td. The only wierd thing about sacks is we credit for sacks and tackles so a sack counts as both a sack and a tackle.Agree on a stat source. IDP leagues are rife with arguments if you don't explicitly state your source and set a time period after which stats will not be changed (often upon review defensive numbers will be changed after a game).

Our defensive scoring is -

1 point per UT, .5 pt Assisted Tackle (DL only), 2 pts for first 2 sacks, 3 pts each additional sack, 1 pt for each half sack, 2 pts int, 2 pts safety, 6 pts td. The only wierd thing about sacks is we credit for sacks and tackles so a sack counts as both a sack and a tackle.
I like this scoring - nice round numbers. Smart move to use the VBD sheet, will johnson, to make IDP 45% of scoring and offense 55%.I'll test Mr. Know it All's scoring out and see how that goes and see what I come up with on the VBD sheet.

Thanks so much for your input guys, it's really interesting how different the IDP scoring is from league to league and how vast the different possibilities are.

According to the VBD values, my IDP guys are very low on value. Should I be shy in tweaking the values? The values aren't 100% accurate to my league's scoring system, but close enough.

Hopefully you experienced IDP guys can help me. I just made my league's IDP scoring, but it seems awfully low after running it through the VBD sheet. Can you all suggest where I might tweak things? Thanks so much in advance.

Scoring for Defensive Categories

ATK - Assisted Tackles - 0.5 points

DFR - Defensive/ST Fumble Recovered - 2 points

DFRTD - Defensive Fumble Recovery TD - 6 points

Plus 1 point for a DFRTD of 11 to 19 Yds

Plus 2 points for a DFRTD of 20 to 29 Yds

Plus 3 points for a DFRTD of 30 to 39 Yds

Plus 4 points for a DFRTD of 40 to 49 Yds

Plus 5 points for a DFRTD of 50 to 59 Yds

Plus 6 points for a DFRTD of 60 to 69 Yds

Plus 7 points for a DFRTD of 70 to 79 Yds

Plus 8 points for a DFRTD of 80 to 89 Yds

Plus 9 points for a DFRTD of 90 to 99 Yds

Plus 10 points for a DFRTD of 100 to 109 Yds

FF - Forced Fumble 2 points

Int - Interceptions 2 points

IntTD - Interception TD - 6 points

Plus 1 point for a IntTD of 11 to 19 Yds

Plus 2 points for a IntTD of 20 to 29 Yds

Plus 3 points for a IntTD of 30 to 39 Yds

Plus 4 points for a IntTD of 40 to 49 Yds

Plus 5 points for a IntTD of 50 to 59 Yds

Plus 6 points for a IntTD of 60 to 69 Yds

Plus 7 points for a IntTD of 70 to 79 Yds

Plus 8 points for a IntTD of 80 to 89 Yds

Plus 9 points for a IntTD of 90 to 99 Yds

Plus 10 points for a IntTD of 100 to 109 Yds

PDef - Pass Defensed - 2 points

SACK - Sack 2 points

Plus a 3 point bonus @ 3+ SACK

SFRTD - Special Team Fumble Recovery for TD - 6 points

Plus 1 point for a SFRTD of 10 to 19 Yds

Plus 2 points for a SFRTD of 20 to 29 Yds

Plus 3 points for a SFRTD of 30 to 39 Yds

Plus 4 points for a SFRTD of 40 to 49 Yds

Plus 5 points for a SFRTD of 50 to 59 Yds

Plus 6 points for a SFRTD of 60 to 69 Yds

Plus 7 points for a SFRTD of 70 to 79 Yds

Plus 8 points for a SFRTD of 80 to 89 Yds

Plus 9 points for a SFRTD of 90 to 99 Yds

Plus 10 points for a SFRTD of 100 to 109 Yds

STTD - Special Teams TD - 6 points

Plus 1 point for a STTD of 10 to 19 Yds

Plus 2 points for a STTD of 20 to 29 Yds

Plus 3 points for a STTD of 30 to 39 Yds

Plus 4 points for a STTD of 40 to 49 Yds

Plus 5 points for a STTD of 50 to 59 Yds

Plus 6 points for a STTD of 60 to 69 Yds

Plus 7 points for a STTD of 70 to 79 Yds

Plus 8 points for a STTD of 80 to 89 Yds

Plus 9 points for a STTD of 90 to 99 Yds

Plus 10 points for a STTD of 100 to 109 Yds

STY - Safety - 2 points

TK - Tackle - 1 point

Maybe the bonuses for yardage is a little too high?

Hopefully you experienced IDP guys can help me. I just made my league's IDP scoring, but it seems awfully low after running it through the VBD sheet. Can you all suggest where I might tweak things? Thanks so much in advance.

Scoring for Defensive Categories

ATK - Assisted Tackles - 0.5 points

DFR - Defensive/ST Fumble Recovered - 2 points

DFRTD - Defensive Fumble Recovery TD - 6 points

Plus 1 point for a DFRTD of 11 to 19 Yds

Plus 2 points for a DFRTD of 20 to 29 Yds

Plus 3 points for a DFRTD of 30 to 39 Yds

Plus 4 points for a DFRTD of 40 to 49 Yds

Plus 5 points for a DFRTD of 50 to 59 Yds

Plus 6 points for a DFRTD of 60 to 69 Yds

Plus 7 points for a DFRTD of 70 to 79 Yds

Plus 8 points for a DFRTD of 80 to 89 Yds

Plus 9 points for a DFRTD of 90 to 99 Yds

Plus 10 points for a DFRTD of 100 to 109 Yds

FF - Forced Fumble 2 points

Int - Interceptions 2 points

IntTD - Interception TD - 6 points

Plus 1 point for a IntTD of 11 to 19 Yds

Plus 2 points for a IntTD of 20 to 29 Yds

Plus 3 points for a IntTD of 30 to 39 Yds

Plus 4 points for a IntTD of 40 to 49 Yds

Plus 5 points for a IntTD of 50 to 59 Yds

Plus 6 points for a IntTD of 60 to 69 Yds

Plus 7 points for a IntTD of 70 to 79 Yds

Plus 8 points for a IntTD of 80 to 89 Yds

Plus 9 points for a IntTD of 90 to 99 Yds

Plus 10 points for a IntTD of 100 to 109 Yds

PDef - Pass Defensed - 2 points

SACK - Sack 2 points

Plus a 3 point bonus @ 3+ SACK

SFRTD - Special Team Fumble Recovery for TD - 6 points

Plus 1 point for a SFRTD of 10 to 19 Yds

Plus 2 points for a SFRTD of 20 to 29 Yds

Plus 3 points for a SFRTD of 30 to 39 Yds

Plus 4 points for a SFRTD of 40 to 49 Yds

Plus 5 points for a SFRTD of 50 to 59 Yds

Plus 6 points for a SFRTD of 60 to 69 Yds

Plus 7 points for a SFRTD of 70 to 79 Yds

Plus 8 points for a SFRTD of 80 to 89 Yds

Plus 9 points for a SFRTD of 90 to 99 Yds

Plus 10 points for a SFRTD of 100 to 109 Yds

STTD - Special Teams TD - 6 points

Plus 1 point for a STTD of 10 to 19 Yds

Plus 2 points for a STTD of 20 to 29 Yds

Plus 3 points for a STTD of 30 to 39 Yds

Plus 4 points for a STTD of 40 to 49 Yds

Plus 5 points for a STTD of 50 to 59 Yds

Plus 6 points for a STTD of 60 to 69 Yds

Plus 7 points for a STTD of 70 to 79 Yds

Plus 8 points for a STTD of 80 to 89 Yds

Plus 9 points for a STTD of 90 to 99 Yds

Plus 10 points for a STTD of 100 to 109 Yds

STY - Safety - 2 points

TK - Tackle - 1 point

Maybe the bonuses for yardage is a little too high?
I like the way you have it set up, but in our league we have tried to simplify things as much as possible because about half of our owners would be overwhelmed by the intricacies of "bonus" scoring for distance. I am not sure why we have never included forced fumbles in our scoring system. Something for me to bring to the board after this year (our rules are tweaked every year at our May owner's meeting).

I like the way you have it set up, but in our league we have tried to simplify things as much as possible because about half of our owners would be overwhelmed by the intricacies of "bonus" scoring for distance. I am not sure why we have never included forced fumbles in our scoring system. Something for me to bring to the board after this year (our rules are tweaked every year at our May owner's meeting).
Thanks for the compliments, but I think you're right - the bonus scoring absolutely needs to be simplified. I think I need to tweak the scoring so that it's more significant anyway, as the best IDP on my VBD sheet is Donnie Edwards and Ray Lewis at only $13.

Users who are viewing this thread