What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you had to pick a single player to go nuts weeks 14-16, who is it? (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
Who is going to be the guy that leads the charge into the playoffs? As many of us are putting the hammer down at 5-1 or 6-0 and looking for that one gem that is going to put us over the top during the money weeks, I thought it might be a good time to get some discussion going on who we can target for the playoffs.

I'll start -

Calvin Johnson - ok ok, easy pickings. But lets be honest here, he faces Philly in week 13, might propel you into the second round of the playoffs all by himself. He will be healthy by then for sure and I would expect nothing less than 25 fantasy points in the matchups with the potential to double that. If Hakeem Nicks and Donnie Avery can post over 140 yards receiving, Calvin might get 200.

Then he gets Baltimore who appear to be tough on the surface. However they really don't shine against good wideouts. Jordy just gashed them for 113 and a touchdown and he really didn't even have a very good game with some uncharacteristic drops. Mike Wallace has a nice game against them and so did Robert Woods. In fact the only teams they really put the clamps on were the Texans and Dolphins, not exactly juggernauts.

Finally he gets the Giants. The poor things just got toasted by Brandon Marshall to the tune of 9-87-2. Desean ripped them for 140+ the week before that. I think this team will be ready to call it a shift by the end of the season and Calvin is going to feast.

Go get Calvin, you might not ever get another chance.

Jamaal Charles, probably the easiest choice but even coming into the year i drafted him with is week 14-16 schedule very much in mind.

Week 14 he plays the Redskins

Week 15 he plays the Raiders

and Week 16 he's home against the Colts

Identifying the current #1 RB and the pre-season #1 WR doesn't make this a very useful exercise.

How about Shane Vereen as someone who might be available who could come back and make some noise at the end of the season.

Percy Harvin.

Week 14 may be tough but then it's the giants and cardinals. Week 17 it's the rams for those it matters.

How about Shane Vereen as someone who might be available who could come back and make some noise at the end of the season.
I sure hope so. I'm sitting on him in all three of my leagues. Also counting on Gronk being his old self for the playoffs. I can't see Charles Clay keeping up his top 10 production.

I will go off the board

quarterback - Foles - right now all the teams he faces in the last weeks are in the bottom 20 against the pass.

running back - Ryan Matthews - This is just a gut call, Woodhead or Brown get hurt and they lean on Matthews more, he even will catch some passes.

wide receiver - Kenbrell Thompkins - Him and Brady get in sync, Amendola can't stay healthy and he becomes Brady's favorite target down the stretch not named Gronkowski.

tight end - Heath Miller - The Steelers won't roll over and die or quit on their coach like a lot of teams do, he has some decent match ups too

QB - Philip Rivers

WR - Keenan Allen

RB - Fred Jackson

TE - Rob Gronkowksi

I only own one of those, so I'm not biased.

So here's a question. Do I trade ADP for Charles given this sweet playoff schedule? That's something I'm pondering. Charles' handcuffs would have a better chance of approaching his production as opposed to the Gerhart/Line combo. Interesting.

I was going to say Jamaal Charles for obvious reasons, but I'll add another.

Dez Bryant gets to face Chicago (23rd vs. the pass), Green Bay (28th vs. the pass) and Washington (20th vs. the pass) in Weeks 14 through 16. Use him if you've got him.

Really like the Foles call. I grabbed him where I could and think he could easily be top 5 ROS.

RB: I'm going to say Ray Rice. Just a gut feeling he turns it around.

WR: Keenan Allen. I'll add Colston. He's been pretty quiet early on, and that seems to be the trend the past few years. With Graham dinged up coming up out of the bye I'm betting Colston has a string of nice games the second half of the year.

TE: Greg Olsen. Is a bit dinged up right now and had a crappy game last week. But his first four games were really solid. Again, just a gut feeling.

Identifying the current #1 RB and the pre-season #1 WR doesn't make this a very useful exercise.

I am thinking that Peyton Manning guy might be good weeks 14-16. If you are looking for a TE, Jimmy Graham could go off as well. :)

The Bears have Dallas, Clev., Philly... so any of them are worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of nowhere I'm going with Chris Ivory.... He may be all that's left by then and geez he is a beast when healthy... I can see a scenario where he goes off on people's benches or on the wire because nobody will trust him to be in their lineups

I sure hope so. I'm sitting on him in all three of my leagues. Also counting on Gronk being his old self for the playoffs. I can't see Charles Clay keeping up his top 10 production.
Why not? Top 10 for a TE seems to be in reach for a variety of candidates this year.

Andre Johnson / Arian Foster from week 11 on: wk 11 Raider, 12 Jags, 13 Pats, 14 Jags again, 15 colts, 16 broncos.

Who is going to be the guy that leads the charge into the playoffs? As many of us are putting the hammer down at 5-1 or 6-0 and looking for that one gem that is going to put us over the top during the money weeks, I thought it might be a good time to get some discussion going on who we can target for the playoffs.

I'll start -

Calvin Johnson - ok ok, easy pickings. But lets be honest here, he faces Philly in week 13, might propel you into the second round of the playoffs all by himself. He will be healthy by then for sure and I would expect nothing less than 25 fantasy points in the matchups with the potential to double that. If Hakeem Nicks and Donnie Avery can post over 140 yards receiving, Calvin might get 200.

Then he gets Baltimore who appear to be tough on the surface. However they really don't shine against good wideouts. Jordy just gashed them for 113 and a touchdown and he really didn't even have a very good game with some uncharacteristic drops. Mike Wallace has a nice game against them and so did Robert Woods. In fact the only teams they really put the clamps on were the Texans and Dolphins, not exactly juggernauts.

Finally he gets the Giants. The poor things just got toasted by Brandon Marshall to the tune of 9-87-2. Desean ripped them for 140+ the week before that. I think this team will be ready to call it a shift by the end of the season and Calvin is going to feast.

Go get Calvin, you might not ever get another chance.
So your definition of "good wideouts" (Calvin Johnson comparisons) includes Jordy Nelson, Mike Wallace, and Robert Woods?

Out of nowhere I'm going with Chris Ivory.... He may be all that's left by then and geez he is a beast when healthy... I can see a scenario where he goes off on people's benches or on the wire because nobody will trust him to be in their lineups
He was decent, when fully healthy in New Orleans' offense. He's far from a "beast".

Roddy White is another one I just can't seem to write off. I think he storms back this season and wins some leagues for people.

Dez Bryant gets to face Chicago (23rd vs. the pass), Green Bay (28th vs. the pass) and Washington (20th vs. the pass) in Weeks 14 through 16. Use him if you've got him.
GB's rating against the pass is heavily skewed for the two games that were blowouts by the 3rd quarter and they went to "Prevent" for half the game. The Redskins game, for instance.... WAS didn't even have a first down until the Pack were up by 24+ at the beginning of the 3rd quarter. Then RG3 "threw" for 300 yards on them. Yea, ok.

Changing of the guard in New Orleans comes sooner than we think:

Kenny Stills straight up beats out Colston out of the job and becomes one of Brees' favorite targets in time for the fantasy playoffs.

I am thinking that Peyton Manning guy might be good weeks 14-16. If you are looking for a TE, Jimmy Graham could go off as well. :)

The Bears have Dallas, Clev., Philly... so any of them are worth a look.
I'm actually worried about Peyton in weeks 15 and 16. If the bronco's beat the chiefs in both their games this year, I think there's a chance they will have clinched the number 1 overall afc seed by week 16 and he might sit. If it's starting to go this way by the time your trade deadline arrives, it might even be worth looking to trade him for aother top QB with an easy 14/15/16 schedule. He also gets the number 1 pass d in the league in week 16 even if he does play. He's a risk to underperform in your championship game either way.

For our Super Bowl you get to pick Week 17 or 1st playoff game. So if u have Peyton Manning you obviously don't play him week 17 you play him in the first game of the playoffs. Love this format. Playoff can last 3 weeks but it is the Super Bowl and it makes the Super Bowl special. Plus there is way more skill involved in picking ur matchups and it prevents teams who have great players like manning having a bad week 16 or 17 cause he say the game.

he may have they talent but I believe he has never played 4 consecutive games at any level. I wouldn't recommend targeting him.

I don't know if, in week six, projecting how good or bad a defense will be in weeks 13-17 is a valid strategy. Although for some teams like the jags I can certainly see the point.

And in my experience when a player hits a true hot streak it really doesn't seem to make a difference who they are facing.

he may have they talent but I believe he has never played 4 consecutive games at any level. I wouldn't recommend targeting him.
That's part of it for sure but what if he is healthy for 3 wks? I'm not saying he is somebody to target necessarily because I'm sure nobody would be able to trust him to start him but I can see him being a top 8 or 10 guy through the fantasy playoffs if he can do more with the opportunity that appears it could be coming

And yes he runs like a beast... Probably a big factor in him getting dinged up so often but his "style" of running is not too dissimilar to Marshawn Lynch's style

I like the Bengals matchups.

14: v IND

15: @ Pit

16: v MIN

Chargers matchups:

14: v NYG

15: @ Den

16: v OAK

Bills matchups:

14: @ TB

15: @ Jax

16: v MIA

Chiefs matchups:

14: @ WAS

15: @ OAK

16: v IND

Andre Johnson / Arian Foster from week 11 on: wk 11 Raider, 12 Jags, 13 Pats, 14 Jags again, 15 colts, 16 broncos.
I agree with this.

IF this team can find themselves in contention for the playoffs this will be the sweet spot. The stretch run leading up to the fantasy playoffs is enticing and then they get the chance to play the Jaguars, the Colts (which should have heavy implications and is generally always a good scoring fantasy game for all players involved) and the Broncos who may or may not have a lot to play for.§

Regardless of opponent, Dez would be an auto-start. Pls, you can do better than this.

Chris Johnson, especially championship week (16)

14-16

@ DEN

ARI

@ JAX
Den is the #1 def vs the run. Nobody's sniffed 100 yds yet. Pts allowed vs Den is inflated because of the number of run TDs scored inside the 5 and a flooky pass TD thrown by DMC. CJ2K doesn't sniff goalline carries, so he's not someone worth starting.

Ariz is a top 7 Run D.

I do like the Jax start tho

Remember Moreno last year? My blind guess is going to be Hillman. Moreno has had trouble staying healthy his whole career. He's had a pretty solid workload (100 touches through 6 games). Hillman has looked decent when he's played (and much better than Ball). He could pull a 2012 Moreno this year. I've handcuffed him to Moreno in all my leagues. Would obviously prefer Moreno stay healthy, but we shouldn't be surprised if he doesn't, and if that happens someone is going to get like 80% of Moreno's production which is still huge.

That's part of it for sure but what if he is healthy for 3 wks? I'm not saying he is somebody to target necessarily because I'm sure nobody would be able to trust him to start him but I can see him being a top 8 or 10 guy through the fantasy playoffs if he can do more with the opportunity that appears it could be coming

And yes he runs like a beast... Probably a big factor in him getting dinged up so often but his "style" of running is not too dissimilar to Marshawn Lynch's style
It just makes him even more of a risk because not only do you hope that he will be playing at a high level you also have to hope he is actually on the field. It's just another layer of risk and, IMO, there are better options.

Worth grabbing in a week or so to handcuff for Powell owners at least.

Any key Philly player.

Their schedule is fantastic towards the end of the year.

I might even include Riley Cooper as a WR3 candidate, especially if Foles stays in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember Moreno last year? My blind guess is going to be Hillman. Moreno has had trouble staying healthy his whole career. He's had a pretty solid workload (100 touches through 6 games). Hillman has looked decent when he's played (and much better than Ball). He could pull a 2012 Moreno this year. I've handcuffed him to Moreno in all my leagues. Would obviously prefer Moreno stay healthy, but we shouldn't be surprised if he doesn't, and if that happens someone is going to get like 80% of Moreno's production which is still huge.
I can't bring myself to drop Hillman for this very reason. Moreno goes down and this guy is an auto plug and play for low RB1 numbers.

I'm going with Chris Johnson. The first half of his schedule was brutal. The playoff schedule looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread