What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were the Patriots . . . would you trade Gronk? (1 Viewer)

Should Pats trade Gronk for a Top 10 overall pick?

• Yes

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 52 65.8%

• Total voters

Anarchy99

Footballguy
A similar discussion was put forth on talk radio. Basically, Gronk is signed for reasonable money for the next two years. After that, his salary escalates and he is due a $10 million bonus. In 2018 and 2019, his base salary is $8 or $9 million and with incentives and other simple bonuses, he would be in the $10 million a year range.

Given the mounting injuries and everything else associated with Team Gronk, the possibility that he has a rinse and repeat of his 2013 season in 2014 (will he start on PUP? will he or won't he play? how healthy will he be from week to week?), if the opportunity presented itself to unload Gronk for a Top 10 overall draft pick should the Pats pull the trigger and send him packing?

There were points made on both sides, but the one that resonated the most was how likely was he ever going to be fully healthy and able to play in the post season, as seemingly he really has struggled to play a full regular and post season without getting hurt. The flip side was that he's one of the game's biggest game changers and difference makers when he plays and those guys come along once in a generation.

Doubt he would pass a physical before the draft. Beyond that, I don't think a team in the top 10 over-all would give up the pick for him. He's a difference maker in the Patriots offense, but he may not be used as much in other offense styles.

Need more options in the poll for the other side of the equation: should another team pay a top 10 over-all pick for an injured difference maker TE?

Last edited by a moderator:
his two major injuries.... forearm/now the knee.... would have happened to any player and just bad luck.....his back problems may be of a more nagging/long term issue, but hasn't seemed to really limit him much...

I'd hang on to him...and see how it plays out....he is a perfect fit for Brady and this offense....not sure somebody would bite with a top 10 pick...

(but I would have been giving Tony Scheffler a sniff Monday morning)....

He's one of only a couple man among boys difference makers in the NFL. Even with the injuries there's no way im trading that unless its a stupid deal.

For the purposes of having a dialogue on this hypothetical situation, let's say a team with a Top 10 pick approaches NE and offers to trade their pick for Gronk. Should/would the Pats consider it and/or make that trade?

As for those suggesting, "he's just a TE," consider that his production (when actually on the field) has been that as an elite WR, let alone that of an elite TE. Over the past 3 seasons, his performance would equal to nearly 1300/16 across a 16 game season. That's in the Moss/Rice/Owens range. Do folks think those guys were worth a Top 10 pick.

I would do it if I were the Pats. Take the pick and the uncertainty of a 21 year old player over paying many millions for someone you just can't count on. A team like the Pats doesn't end up that high in the draft very often, and the allure of a premium player is hard to pass up. They could probably turn around and use that same pick in a deal for an established player on a team that finds itself far from contending.

For the purposes of having a dialogue on this hypothetical situation, let's say a team with a Top 10 pick approaches NE and offers to trade their pick for Gronk. Should/would the Pats consider it and/or make that trade?

As for those suggesting, "he's just a TE," consider that his production (when actually on the field) has been that as an elite WR, let alone that of an elite TE. Over the past 3 seasons, his performance would equal to nearly 1300/16 across a 16 game season. That's in the Moss/Rice/Owens range. Do folks think those guys were worth a Top 10 pick.
That isn't happening. But to play along, NO. Without Gronk the team is barely playoff caliber.

If I'm running the Patriots I do look to sign Fred Davis

Doubt he would pass a physical before the draft. Beyond that, I don't think a team in the top 10 over-all would give up the pick for him. He's a difference maker in the Patriots offense, but he may not be used as much in other offense styles.

Need more options in the poll for the other side of the equation: should another team pay a top 10 over-all pick for an injured difference maker TE?
Gronk's got enough tape to show what he is. With an ACL being almost "routine", I don't think a seriously interested team would let his March status be the deal killer. The big issue is finding a team that would find it making sense to take him. Could 28 other teams Use him and love to have him? Sure. But the ones that it makes sense for are lacking.

Gronk in Green Bay. Yeah! But they aren't giving picks.

Atlanta would make sense but after this year, I don't see them doing it either.

Basically you have to have a team that is a serious contender that can afford the luxury.

Now, if you are the Patriots, can you really trade him and feel good about it? I don't think so. Most people can't do it on their fantasy teams. How can they do it in real life because this guy takes you from being a "meh" team to one that you can't figure out the mismatch for.

So, I start with this idea by comparing him to his peers. Short list: Jimmy Graham. Vernon is nice. Julius THomas is nice but neither are what Gronk and Graham truly are, all by themselves. So if I am trading away a rare commodity, it comes down to whether I can handle the missed time and hope for health. I think I do and I keep him.

Gronk's got enough tape to show what he is. With an ACL being almost "routine", I don't think a seriously interested team would let his March status be the deal killer. The big issue is finding a team that would find it making sense to take him. Could 28 other teams Use him and love to have him? Sure. But the ones that it makes sense for are lacking.

Gronk in Green Bay. Yeah! But they aren't giving picks.

Atlanta would make sense but after this year, I don't see them doing it either.

Basically you have to have a team that is a serious contender that can afford the luxury.

Now, if you are the Patriots, can you really trade him and feel good about it? I don't think so. Most people can't do it on their fantasy teams. How can they do it in real life because this guy takes you from being a "meh" team to one that you can't figure out the mismatch for.

So, I start with this idea by comparing him to his peers. Short list: Jimmy Graham. Vernon is nice. Julius THomas is nice but neither are what Gronk and Graham truly are, all by themselves. So if I am trading away a rare commodity, it comes down to whether I can handle the missed time and hope for health. I think I do and I keep him.
Honestly, Graham isn't even Gronk from an NFL standpoint. Not only is Gronk an elite receiver but he's an elite blocker as well.

I would do it if I were the Pats. Take the pick and the uncertainty of a 21 year old player over paying many millions for someone you just can't count on. A team like the Pats doesn't end up that high in the draft very often, and the allure of a premium player is hard to pass up. They could probably turn around and use that same pick in a deal for an established player on a team that finds itself far from contending.
He's only due $4M and $5M the next two years. I would keep him since he gives them a better chance to win in 2014/2015 while Brady is still there than a rookie.

He's only due $4M and $5M the next two years. I would keep him since he gives them a better chance to win in 2014/2015 while Brady is still there than a rookie.
There are a lot of ways to look at things. Yes, he is playing for low dollars the next two seasons. However, with his balloon payment the following year, I'm not sure the Pats want to hand him $10 million and then another $8-10M a year after that.

So as I see it, he effectively has 2 years left on his contract (with the rest mostly window dressing). If Gronk has another lost season next year (maybe start on PUP, doesn't get ramped up until mid season, and maybe is not himself the rest of the season), that really only leaves one year left at a reasonable cost.

Looking at it that way, if NE were going to cut him in 2016 anyway, wouldn't it make sense to get a Top 10 pick (or even a lower first round pick) if they were only going to have him for only one (hopefully healthy) year?

From NE's perspective, at some point they are going to have to worry if all the surgeries will start to chip away at Gronk's abilities and production,

I don't think this situation would ever materialize, but it's interesting to discuss.

I think Gronk is missing 75% of next season. Yet, if it wasn't #1 overall I would not even consider it.

That isn't happening. But to play along, NO. Without Gronk the team is barely playoff caliber.

If I'm running the Patriots I do look to sign Fred Davis
I don't get this...You say no one will offer a top 10 pick, insinuating that a top 10 pick is way too much for gronk.

Then you say no, they shouldn't take it if the opportunity presented itself

Kind of contradictory.

Absolutely they should take it if it came up. A top 10 overall can give you a franchise player to build around for years. TE's, I'm sorry, are a dime a dozen. How many athletic TEs have come out recently? The list is ridiculous : Graham, v Davis, Cameron, finely, Thomas, gates, reed.

I am of the belief that NE made gronk as valuable as he is. Not saying he's no good, he is, but I think if you put someone like Colby Fleener in NE, he does just as well.

Lets not forget, NE is about 2 years away from full on rebuilding mode. Why not stack up on draft picks, especially in a year deep with QBs. Could avoid that rebuilding mode if they could draft a QB. IMO, stability in the franchise is worth way more than an injured TE

I think Gronk is missing 75% of next season. Yet, if it wasn't #1 overall I would not even consider it.
So they wouldn't unload him fo a top 10 pick in this ys draft?
I very much doubt they would, and if I was a patriots fan I would be pissed if they traded him even for the #1 pick.

Get a pick and what, hope that pick becomes half of what Gronk is?
Get a pick and what, hope that pick becomes half of what Gronk is was?

That's part of the problem. Gronk has not been able to go the distance pretty much in any season. NE pretty mostly gets a free pass to make the playoffs every year playing in the AFC East. But he has not been 100% in the post season (or was out entirely in the post season). That's why a number of folks have soured on Gronk. They can win in the regular season with or without him. The offense gets humming along with him heading to the postseason and then they have to reconfigure the offense without him.

There's no denying he is a great player, but having to make do without him has been a problem. And you have to start wondering if all these surgeries are going to start taking their toll on him. He's had a lot of surgeries. It's one thing if guys have had a few bumps and bruises along the way, but he's had to go under the knife quite a bit. It's not like he's had a few pulled hammies and sprained foot. He's had multiple surgeries (arm, back, ankle, now knee) and probably a concussion or two along the way.

I'm not a doctor, but he have to start wondering how long his career will be and if he will ever be 100%. Not saying that he won't be 100% again, but you have to start considering if that could be a factor.

A similar discussion was put forth on talk radio. Basically, Gronk is signed for reasonable money for the next two years. After that, his salary escalates and he is due a $10 million bonus. In 2018 and 2019, his base salary is $8 or $9 million and with incentives and other simple bonuses, he would be in the $10 million a year range.

Given the mounting injuries and everything else associated with Team Gronk, the possibility that he has a rinse and repeat of his 2013 season in 2014 (will he start on PUP? will he or won't he play? how healthy will he be from week to week?), if the opportunity presented itself to unload Gronk for a Top 10 overall draft pick should the Pats pull the trigger and send him packing?

There were points made on both sides, but the one that resonated the most was how likely was he ever going to be fully healthy and able to play in the post season, as seemingly he really has struggled to play a full regular and post season without getting hurt. The flip side was that he's one of the game's biggest game changers and difference makers when he plays and those guys come along once in a generation.
aren't you the guy who doesn't believe in injury prone, and always says you can't predict injury?

In a heartbeat.

He is without a doubt going to have a major injury next year, know how I know?

When has he not been hurt? lol

I don't get this...You say no one will offer a top 10 pick, insinuating that a top 10 pick is way too much for gronk.

Kind of contradictory.

Absolutely they should take it if it came up. A top 10 overall can give you a franchise player to build around for years. TE's, I'm sorry, are a dime a dozen. How many athletic TEs have come out recently? The list is ridiculous : Graham, v Davis, Cameron, finely, Thomas, gates, reed.

I am of the belief that NE made gronk as valuable as he is. Not saying he's no good, he is, but I think if you put someone like Colby Fleener in NE, he does just as well.

Lets not forget, NE is about 2 years away from full on rebuilding mode. Why not stack up on draft picks, especially in a year deep with QBs. Could avoid that rebuilding mode if they could draft a QB. IMO, stability in the franchise is worth way more than an injured TE
you mean like gronk?

if you think coby ####### fleener is a shadow of gronk, or that the pats will ever be in 'full on rebuild' while belichick's there, then you really just don't know wtf you're talking about

aren't you the guy who doesn't believe in injury prone, and always says you can't predict injury?
Not really. My position has been that certain guys are more prone to nagging injuries (ankle sprains, groin pulls, general bumps and bruises). Serious injuries are fluky and much harder to predict. However, for guys with repeated serious injuries I think you have to start thinking their overall abilities will start declining and their production and shelf life will start dwindling. No science or research to that, just my opinion.

2010 - Jerod Mayo (10)

2001 - Richard Seymour (6)

1996 - Terry Glenn (7)

1994 - Willie McGinest (4)

1993 - Drew Bledsoe (1)

That was the running gag during the radio discussion. Trade Gronk for a top pick and hoody could turn that into 3 4ths, 4 5ths, 2 6ths, and 12 7th rounders.

I don't get this...

You say no one will offer a top 10 pick, insinuating that a top 10 pick is way too much for gronk.

Kind of contradictory.

you mean like gronk?

if you think coby ####### fleener is a shadow of gronk, or that the pats will ever be in 'full on rebuild' while belichick's there, then you really just don't know wtf you're talking about
If you read my post, I said, TEs are a dime a dozen. When is the last time you saw a team build a franchise around a TE, besides Tony Gonzalez? :lol:

There are a lot of really good FA TEs available this offseason. J. Gresham, J Finely, Davis. Those could produce numbers similar to gronk, I have no doubt. Similar. Not the same.

Would you rather have one player, who can't stay healthy, and who is top 3 at his position. Or, two players: one FA athletic TE who can produce similar numbers at TE and a top 10 draft pick, which isn't guaranteed but gives you a shot at a franchise def player or a franchise QB.

Take away Brady, even as had as he has been this year, and this team doesn't make the playoffs. Brady is on his way down. You're a fool if you think Belichick can make gold out of clay. He's good, but not that good.

The drop from gronk to another TE is not nearly as much as the gain you get from a top 10 draft pick.

apparently, the team offering us a top 10 is trying to build around a te --- since you seem to think every team builds around their mayos.

I can pretty much guarantee you nobody in football, or watching football , thinks gronk is a dime a dozen, and suggesting finley replace him is some of the funniest #### I have heard all week.

and I read a lot of funny #### on this board

I don't get this...

You say no one will offer a top 10 pick, insinuating that a top 10 pick is way too much for gronk.

Kind of contradictory.

you mean like gronk?

If you read my post, I said, TEs are a dime a dozen. When is the last time you saw a team build a franchise around a TE, besides Tony Gonzalez? :lol:

There are a lot of really good FA TEs available this offseason. J. Gresham, J Finely, Davis. Those could produce numbers similar to gronk, I have no doubt. Similar. Not the same.

Would you rather have one player, who can't stay healthy, and who is top 3 at his position. Or, two players: one FA athletic TE who can produce similar numbers at TE and a top 10 draft pick, which isn't guaranteed but gives you a shot at a franchise def player or a franchise QB.

Take away Brady, even as had as he has been this year, and this team doesn't make the playoffs. Brady is on his way down. You're a fool if you think Belichick can make gold out of clay. He's good, but not that good.

The drop from gronk to another TE is not nearly as much as the gain you get from a top 10 draft pick.
just stop posting

So they wouldn't unload him fo a top 10 pick in this ys draft?
I very much doubt they would, and if I was a patriots fan I would be pissed if they traded him even for the #1 pick.

Get a pick and what, hope that pick becomes half of what Gronk is?
Get a pick and what, hope that pick becomes half of what Gronk is was?

That's part of the problem. Gronk has not been able to go the distance pretty much in any season. NE pretty mostly gets a free pass to make the playoffs every year playing in the AFC East. But he has not been 100% in the post season (or was out entirely in the post season). That's why a number of folks have soured on Gronk. They can win in the regular season with or without him. The offense gets humming along with him heading to the postseason and then they have to reconfigure the offense without him.

There's no denying he is a great player, but having to make do without him has been a problem. And you have to start wondering if all these surgeries are going to start taking their toll on him. He's had a lot of surgeries. It's one thing if guys have had a few bumps and bruises along the way, but he's had to go under the knife quite a bit. It's not like he's had a few pulled hammies and sprained foot. He's had multiple surgeries (arm, back, ankle, now knee) and probably a concussion or two along the way.

I'm not a doctor, but he have to start wondering how long his career will be and if he will ever be 100%. Not saying that he won't be 100% again, but you have to start considering if that could be a factor.
If it wasn't a factor, I wouldnt trade him for the top 2 picks in the draft.

Factoring everything in for Gronk, and factoring in everything for an uproven rookie (even of the top variety), I would take Gronk.

It would only make sense for me if the team needed a QB and there was a can't miss QB prospect. Neither are the case for the Patriots, or this draft class.

I disagree pretty hard on that, unless that top 10 pick is a cant miss QB and your team doesnt already have a top end QB.

The hit he just took would have destroyed most people. Gronk will rehab and be back. I would be more than happy to take my chances that he does not continue to get major injuries.

I do agree that a few major injuries will end careers sooner just based on diminishing skills due to not being able to train the same way in the younger years. However, I think Gronk isn't your typical human, plus he is still easily young enough to be able to rehab back to his best.

Problem is history has show the guy is going down at some point during the season
HIstory also said real estate was a great investment, until it burned a lot of people who bought in 2005.

You can say this same thing about a lot of guys who ended up not getting hurt much more, if at all, after that.

You also have guys who were healthy for 5 years in a row then finished their careers with constant injuries.

I will agree some guys are injury prone, but not just because they have been injured. The type of injury and how it happened does matter to me. This latest injury to me does not qualify for injury prone.

Injuries scare me... they're really starting to pile up with Gronk. Will he ever return to those levels? If I'm looking at the long run, I probably take the pick and build up the offensive or defensive line. Maybe I don't make the deal if I'm trying to capitalize on Brady's remaining shelf life.

if you were really making this decision there would be more focus on the contractual aspects, the talent available in the draft or free agency, and an internal assessment of team needs.

But, New England doesn't strike me as a team that values top picks as much as other teams (or even fantasy owners). Not sure if it is the money the pick commands or a quality/quantity thing.

The Patriots would take a cap hit of about $5 mil if the traded Gronk. Seems unlikely they'd get someone who could have a similar impact in the next 2-3 season in the draft. It wouldn't be 1st anyway it would probably get traded for a 2nd in the 2014 and 15 drafts and those picks would be traded for other later picks...

There's times to build for the future but now is not one for the Patriots. Belichick can find adequate players for depth and coach them up. Impact players are much tougher to find.

Gronk playing 5 games a year for the next 6 years is worth more than getting some late 1st round pick.
A late first round pick? The scenario proposed by the OP was a top 10 pick.
I know, I was just making a statement. I definitely think he will play more than 5 games a year for the next 6 years.

BUt if you told me that for a fact he would only play 5 games per year until the year 2020, I would not trade him for a late first.

I don't think he is some dishaveled injury prone hunk of trash like many do on here. But even if he was, when he plays he is THAT good.

Gronk playing 5 games a year for the next 6 years is worth more than getting some late 1st round pick.
I know, I was just making a statement. I definitely think he will play more than 5 games a year for the next 6 years.

BUt if you told me that for a fact he would only play 5 games per year until the year 2020, I would not trade him for a late first.

I don't think he is some dishaveled injury prone hunk of trash like many do on here. But even if he was, when he plays he is THAT good.
So you are OK with him getting 8-9 M a year and playing 5 games. Not to mention the Pats will have to pay some other players to replace him while he is out. There is a salary cap in the NFL. I don't believe most GMs would be comfortable with that type of return on their investment.

So you are OK with him getting 8-9 M a year and playing 5 games. Not to mention the Pats will have to pay some other players to replace him while he is out. There is a salary cap in the NFL. I don't believe most GMs would be comfortable with that type of return on their investment.
is all this trolling or are you people serious?

If I was the Pats, I would not trade Gronk for a top 10 pick this year. Original question answered.

Users who are viewing this thread