What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm Walking Away... (1 Viewer)

Yesterday I informed my 10 man league that I have been running for the past 15 years that I'm leaving fantasy football. It was met with disbelief and shock to some of my friends who knew I carried such a passion for it. Recently,somewhere along the way I seemed to have lost the desire to be involved with running and even playing in fantasy sports. To preface this I have been playing fantasy football in some form for the past 20+ years but like everything in life all things must pass and now came the time for me. I won't lie to you and say I will not miss the league and the bantering amoung my peers during the football season but I feel I need a break and to re-examine the priorities in my life. I'm sure over the years I have slighted my family with time spent watching scores and having my computer as my closest companion on many a Sundays which has made me take stock recently on what really is important. I consider myself a good family man but I also have a competitive nature which rears it's head when I get involved in "the game" and I can occasionally lose sight for the concern of loved ones. I don't know if many of you have experienced what I'm going through but it was a decision that I had to make and feel good about but I have to be honest it will feel strange going through a season without fantasy football. I think though I will find it refreshing to not take on the stress that I put on myself as the Sunday afternoons wear into the evenings. Or to simply watch a game without having to be concerned who scored and from how far out. It was an enjoyable ride no doubt but I am looking forward to going through this fall and winter with a whole new perspective away from fantasy football lifestyle. Thanks for the read, just needed to get this off my chest
Priorities are important to have. I love my fantasy football but family comes first for me too.

I left a league I had started/commished for 15 years 2 years ago. I was fed up with the league refusing to change/adapt (I wanted PPR and a few other things), and I also got sick of the banter within the league...it was starting to get boring for me. Instead of doing that local league I stared playing the NFFC online. Probably the best thing I could have done. The responsibility of running the league isn't mine anymore, its more money to buy in, more competition, and I don't know the people Im playing against so I can trash talk them all I want with out worrying about their panties getting in a ruffle.

Yesterday I informed my 10 man league that I have been running for the past 15 years that I'm leaving fantasy football. It was met with disbelief and shock to some of my friends who knew I carried such a passion for it. Recently,somewhere along the way I seemed to have lost the desire to be involved with running and even playing in fantasy sports. To preface this I have been playing fantasy football in some form for the past 20+ years but like everything in life all things must pass and now came the time for me. I won't lie to you and say I will not miss the league and the bantering amoung my peers during the football season but I feel I need a break and to re-examine the priorities in my life. I'm sure over the years I have slighted my family with time spent watching scores and having my computer as my closest companion on many a Sundays which has made me take stock recently on what really is important. I consider myself a good family man but I also have a competitive nature which rears it's head when I get involved in "the game" and I can occasionally lose sight for the concern of loved ones. I don't know if many of you have experienced what I'm going through but it was a decision that I had to make and feel good about but I have to be honest it will feel strange going through a season without fantasy football. I think though I will find it refreshing to not take on the stress that I put on myself as the Sunday afternoons wear into the evenings. Or to simply watch a game without having to be concerned who scored and from how far out. It was an enjoyable ride no doubt but I am looking forward to going through this fall and winter with a whole new perspective away from fantasy football lifestyle. Thanks for the read, just needed to get this off my chest
Priorities are important to have. I love my fantasy football but family comes first for me too.
If you have the inability to balance life, fun, and hobbies you will become bitter as you get older. Its not healthy.

I hear where you are coming from.

The lockout (Billionaires and Millionaires bickering, while many American people are having trouble making ends meet) pretty much killed my interest in the NFL draft, I watched the first 10 picks or so and then said #### it. I haven't missed free agency, OTAs, NFL news, etc... actually it's been a pretty damn nice break from the sport. I also cancelled my NFL Sunday ticket and reduced my number of leagues to three. In the not too distant future, I can see that number going down to zero. :banned:

The lockout (Billionaires and Millionaires bickering, while many American people are having trouble making ends meet) pretty much killed my interest in the NFL draft, I watched the first 10 picks or so and then said #### it. I haven't missed free agency, OTAs, NFL news, etc... actually it's been a pretty damn nice break from the sport. I also cancelled my NFL Sunday ticket and reduced my number of leagues to three. In the not too distant future, I can see that number going down to zero. :banned:
That will show them damn millionaires !!! LOL.

That will show them damn millionaires !!! LOL.
I don't recall saying that I cancelled the Ticket or dropped my leagues down to three to show them damn millionaires anything. I'm just getting to the stage where I'm getting burned out on the hobby. I will still watch football, I just don't feel the need to have access to every game played each week. :banned:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tips/Rules to enjoy fantasy football without obsessing or taking away from your family:

1. Only enter 1 league

Only being in 1 league means there are only several NFL games each week that really matter.

2. No fantasy football until kids are in bed

Buy or rent a couple PVRs and record 4 different games on Sunday. Then watch them Sunday night once the kids are in bed - you can use the "skip 30 seconds" button to skip huddles, commercials and all and can watch a full game in about 45 minutes. Or, just pick 1 game each Sunday to sit back, relaz and enjoy for a few hours.

3. Do NOT check stats on Sundays

Checking stats throughout the day Sunday only gets you more obssessed and on edge. Waiting until Monday morning gives you something to look forward to for the work week! If you follow rule #2 above, then checking stats isn't an option anyway as you would spoil the games you PVRed.

4. Try to avoid knowing which players your opponent is starting

Yes, this is possible. Don't check rosters, match-ups etc througout the week. Just focus on your own team and no one elses - you can't affect other people's teams anyway. If you don't really know who your opponent has come gameday, then you don't get stressed out when his players are doing well. Knowing its gameover at half time of the morning game because my opponents QB tossed 4 and his RBs had over 200 yards and 3 TDs combined used to wreck the rest of my day.

5. Make a strict guideline to follow for difficult lineup decisions

This takes away the anguish later that you made the wrong choice as you were simply following your own rule you established and follow religiously.

Ex - if I can't decide, then I will always follow FBG rankings. Or, if its a toss up, then I will always pick the guy who is playing in a national audience game.

And yes, this is possible too.
Sounds like fun! :unsure:

Honestly I am younger than most on here I feel (I have no kids which it seems a good portion do)

But I used to before this year only play in 2 leagues and I found I would follow those games and players to closely so I did the only logical thing....now I am in around 10 leagues I think maybe 11 and I play all but the 1 with a co-owner just to have someone else to talk to about the things. I figure I will care a lot less this year because when Frank Gore blows out his leg mehh That doesnt hurt me in 80% of my leagues where as last year im just like ****. I am a poker player by profession or used to be I guess so I am very good with numbers and am all about varience and making money. I figure the more leagues I am in the more leagues I have a competitive advantage and also I will care less becuase if I am playing cj3 in one league and he blows up I guarantee I have him in another league to even it out.

Users who are viewing this thread