What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Important Note On Footballguys Championship Contest (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hi Folks,

I've always tried to run this thing being as upfront as I can with you. This is one of those times where I'm doing that and I've got some bad news.

@GregAmbrosius of the NFFC and I made the decision today to cancel the Footballguys Championship Contest.

Everyone who purchased a team will be fully refunded.

The reason is we simply were not getting the traction we felt we needed by this time.

It's certainly early, but the repercussions of going into mid or late July while lagging were too much to risk. We can cancel the contest now, fully refund folks and more easily move forward. It's the right thing to do for our customers and honoring their trust. And I think it's the right thing to do for Footballguys.

A few points:

Canceling now is embarrassing for me. And will surely give detractors something to crow about. It is what it is.

Our relationship with NFFC is as strong as ever. In fact, my friendship with Greg made this possible. It was Greg's concern that prompted this. I appreciate his concern for us in this and his guidance.

We'll continue to work closely with NFFC in all areas. This particular project may have failed, but the relationship with NFFC is strong and I believe will continue to be beneficial. I couldn't recommend more strongly the NFFC contests and they're hands down the places to play mid and high stake fantasy football in my opinion. The Rotowire $350 entry fee contest is very similar to the Footballguys Championship and for anyone considering a mid-stakes contest, that's where I'd play. And for higher stakes contests, their Primetime event is awesome. It's the best place to play for High Stakes in my opinion.

Failure happens sometimes. I think one of the key questions in life is finding that balance between knowing when it's time to pivot and move to something else vs when it's time to keep pushing forward when it's difficult. This is one of those times. It's the old Kenny Rogers, "You have to know when to hold em and know when to fold 'em." I don't know that I'm right of course. But I feel at peace with this and it feels like the right thing.

Mostly it's about using resources wisely. I'm convinced we have the best Staff in Fantasy Sports. They're awesome. We have a strong business that allows us to do many things. We have momentum and track record and a large and loyal customer base. We're blessed with resources. BUT, they are finite. We all have only so much time and energy. One of my most important jobs is helping us focus those resources on the most productive things. And it just increasingly felt like the cost of the effort needed to make the contest successful wasn't worth the benefit.

So that's where we are. I'm bummed and as I said, a bit embarrassed. I don't enjoy giving people who said I"d fail at this the opportunity to be right. But that's of zero weight and has none of my attention.

My focus is on our core business of providing our customers with killer fantasy football information and helping them win their league. And selling a ton of premium subscriptions. And that's what I want our focus to be.

Like most things, it all comes back to the Godfather. ;) This is business, not personal. I have to take my ego and pride completely out of the equation.

I apologize if this causes you any inconvenience. And we'll work as hard as we possibly can to bring you value this season.

J

Coincidentally enough, I was fairly sure this was going to be my first dip in the pool (entering the contest this year). In hindsight, I could offer suggestions like waiting a bit longer and/or surveying the community to gauge interest, but it is what it is. I'm sorry this didn't work out for you and Greg.

Coincidentally enough, I was fairly sure this was going to be my first dip in the pool (entering the contest this year). In hindsight, I could offer suggestions like waiting a bit longer and/or surveying the community to gauge interest, but it is what it is. I'm sorry this didn't work out for you and Greg.
Thanks GB. I'd encourage you to go for it with the Rotowire $350 entry fee contest. https://nfc.shgn.com/gametypes/football/358

It's fantastic and the NFFC folks are top notch.

Sorry to hear this. I live in Michigan and couldn't join yet, but I was going to draft a couple later this month when I was out of state. Please keep us informed if you try anything in the future.

Sorry to hear about this, @Joe Bryant

I don’t know if I represent the average consumer or Footballguy, but I look at this contest every year, click on the link and always think, “I’d love to do this …but, man, $350 entry fee is a little steep for me“. Is there any way for you to gauge if the buy-in were, say, a $100 (with the prize pool lowered proportionally) that it might attract more folks?

@Joe Bryant

Just a thought, but I would try having your subscriber contest on NFFC, it is unique and we all love it. I am sure you could amend the rules and prices a little to make it more attractive for everyone.

My personal thoughts

1 out of every 4 or 5 entrants cash.
Lower the price of the players by 10 percent. Everyone loves scoring. Points that is.
Price it between 50 and 200 dollars
Cap the number of entries I would say between 5 and 20.
Do a no rake or very small rake for the first year of two to build up a fan base.

I seriously have no doubt that in a couple years this would be one of the biggest contests in fantasy football. It is extremely popular here and changing the lineups is very addictive. Plus it is unique.

@Joe Bryant

Just a thought, but I would try having your subscriber contest on NFFC, it is unique and we all love it. I am sure you could amend the rules and prices a little to make it more attractive for everyone.

My personal thoughts

1 out of every 4 or 5 entrants cash.
Lower the price of the players by 10 percent. Everyone loves scoring. Points that is.
Price it between 50 and 200 dollars
Cap the number of entries I would say between 5 and 20.
Do a no rake or very small rake for the first year of two to build up a fan base.

I seriously have no doubt that in a couple years this would be one of the biggest contests in fantasy football. It is extremely popular here and changing the lineups is very addictive. Plus it is unique.

Thanks. That's a fun thought too for future years. I do agree people love the Subscriber contest. You folks here are a good testament to that.

Users who are viewing this thread