What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In Praise of Ted Thompson (1 Viewer)

Aaronstory

Footballguy
For all the grief Packer fans have been giving TT (not necessarily on this board, but in general) his moves all seem to be paying off. The Packers are in the best position they have been in since the dawn of the salary cap era. Letting Whale, Sharper, et al. go was hard to swallow, but the rewards could be seen here in the next few moths.

Not very deep or informative, I know. But it's something I've wanted to express, and this is the only forum I have... :soap:

For all the grief Packer fans have been giving TT (not necessarily on this board, but in general) his moves all seem to be paying off. The Packers are in the best position they have been in since the dawn of the salary cap era. Letting Whale, Sharper, et al. go was hard to swallow, but the rewards could be seen here in the next few moths.

Not very deep or informative, I know. But it's something I've wanted to express, and this is the only forum I have... :soap:
:goodposting: Thompson got skewered for 'not doing enough' last season, but there wasn't much he could do. He put together a decent first draft class. They now have some cash to spend. We'll see how it pays off.

It's always tough to judge a new GM after one year [or a coach, or a QB, etc...] but it's human nature, particularly on message boards where we all fiend for anything football-related to dissect a thousand ways.

As to Thompson, I think it's too early to say he's done a good job or not. He made some tough decisions last year, took his lumps, and is now in a position to start healing some of those wounds. But he hasn't done that yet...

I never doubted TT when he had to make those cuts last year. No matter who the GM was, cuts would have had to be made.

The situation has turned around quickly, money wise, but this Packer team has some important holes to fill. I agree that it should be an exciting next few months for Packer moves. I just hope the money is spent well and the new staff can get this team back on track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never doubted TT when he had to make those cuts last year. No matter who the GM was, cuts would have had to be made.

The situation has turned around quickly, money wise, but this Packer team has some important holes to fill. I agree that it should be an exciting next few months for Packer moves. I just hope the money is spent well and the new staff can get this team back on track.
Assuming there's no 11th hour save and the cap sits in the mid $90s this year, the Packers do have a chance to make some significant improvement. They are one of only 4 teams with real money to spend on free agents, and there will be a lot of talent looking for work to boot.It wouldn't be hyperbole to suggest that Thompson's legacy as Packers GM could be defined by these next few months.

I never doubted TT when he had to make those cuts last year.  No matter who the GM was, cuts would have had to be made.

The situation has turned around quickly, money wise, but this Packer team has some important holes to fill.  I agree that it should be an exciting next few months for Packer moves.  I just hope the money is spent well and the new staff can get this team back on track.
Assuming there's no 11th hour save and the cap sits in the mid $90s this year, the Packers do have a chance to make some significant improvement. They are one of only 4 teams with real money to spend on free agents, and there will be a lot of talent looking for work to boot.It wouldn't be hyperbole to suggest that Thompson's legacy as Packers GM could be defined by these next few months.
:goodposting: I will always believe, deep down where I don't like to talk about at parties, that TT hung Sherman out to dry on purpose. He left him with a bare cupboard and hoped against hope that Sherman would coach himself out of a job, allowing TT to clean house and start over.

Again, I will never have proof, but I will always think it.

I never doubted TT when he had to make those cuts last year.  No matter who the GM was, cuts would have had to be made.

The situation has turned around quickly, money wise, but this Packer team has some important holes to fill.  I agree that it should be an exciting next few months for Packer moves.  I just hope the money is spent well and the new staff can get this team back on track.
I will always believe, deep down where I don't like to talk about at parties, that TT hung Sherman out to dry on purpose. He left him with a bare cupboard and hoped against hope that Sherman would coach himself out of a job, allowing TT to clean house and start over.
I don't see it, but you're entitled to that opinion. Sherman left his own cupboard bare, and there wasn't much wiggle room for Thompson to fix it in one year.

What was good about this draft? Looks like most of them are still on the roster, any future stars here?

Aaron Rodgers

Nick CollinsDBBethune-Cookman

Terrence MurphyWRTexas A&M

Marviel UnderwoodDBSan Diego State

Brady PoppingaLBBrigham Young

Junius Coston CNorth Carolina A&T

Michael HawkinsDBOklahoma

Mike MontgomeryDTTexas A&M

Craig BraggWRUCLA

Kurt CampbellDBAlbany (NY)

William Whitticker GMichigan State

What was good about this draft? Looks like most of them are still on the roster, any future stars here?

Aaron Rodgers

Craig BraggWRUCLA

Not Terrence Murphy. He is out of football, he has a narrow Spinal Cord I belive

What was good about this draft?  Looks like most of them are still on the roster, any future stars here?

Aaron Rodgers

Craig BraggWRUCLA

Nick Collins is going to be very good. He turned in a solid rookie season, when most thought he was nowhere near ready to contribute. Terrence Murphy looks to be a wash. He was starting to get more playing time before his career threatening injury. A good pick.

Brady Poppinga was a special teams stud on a team that needed help there. He was also stepping into a starting LB role before his knee injury.

Junius Coston didn't play. However, the staff has raved about him. Said he was too raw to contribute last season, but will defeintely be in the mix at guard.

Whitacker wasn't too good, but he did play.

Montegomery came on a bit toward the end of the season.

Hawkins, Bragg, Campbell were not good picks.

The jury is still out on Rodgers.

This was not a bad draft.

Future Stars

Nick Collins, maybe as soon as this coming season.

Junius Coston (call it a hunch.)

Poppinga on special teams.

Murphy had a real chance here, but it doesn't sound like he'll ever be able to play football again, though nothing is official.

What was good about this draft?  Looks like most of them are still on the roster, any future stars here?

Aaron Rodgers - Future starter and potential star.  Was considers for #1 overall last season

Nick CollinsDBBethune-Cookman Future Pro Bowler.  Probably the best single player on the resurgent Packers defense.  Has truly elite range.

Terrence MurphyWRTexas A&M  Sadly, his career is probably over due to injury.

Marviel UnderwoodDBSan Diego State Raw prospect who got on the field some but needs work.

Brady PoppingaLBBrigham Young  Excellent specimen with a nose for the football.  Injury shortened a season where he was coming on strong.

Junius Coston CNorth Carolina A&T  Projected as a possible starter in the new zone blocking system.

Michael HawkinsDBOklahoma  Raw, raw, raw but a tremendous athlete.  Fluid in the hips and has great speed if he can be polished.

Mike MontgomeryDTTexas A&M Didn't play a ton, but has a good chance to be a contributor

Craig BraggWRUCLA Cut early after not showing much.  The only draft pick to not make the team I believe.

Kurt CampbellDBAlbany (NY)  Injured reserve.  Tough to call.

William Whitticker GMichigan State Started all year but was overmatched.  Might be given a pass as he was coming off injury.
Pretty solid draft. Also added Roy Manning as a UDFA, and he got some starts.

I love me some Poppinga. He is one of the Packer players I'm most excited to watch this spring/summer.

Cutting players isn't difficult if you can take the heat. Clearing up cap space isn't that difficult either. Finding players that can contribute in a positive manner on a yearly basis to a winning franchise that manages it's cap well is what a GM ultimately gets graded on. If being a good GM was based strictly on having cap space than Matt Millen would have been executive of the year.

At the end of the day Thompson's success and failure will be based on bringing Green Bay back to being a contending team. In their current situation he has a lot of work to do. The fact he took his lumps last year will now pay off with opportunity to make some moves...what he does with that opportunity will determine how successful he is.

Thompson will continue to build around the draft, so don't expect much activity in the free agent spending period. He'll save the money to re-sign the players that fit his system. As a Packers fan, I hope he knows what he's doing. He'll either build a great team or fall apart. I don't see any middle ground with this guy. I'm hoping he's brilliant.

Thompson will continue to build around the draft, so don't expect much activity in the free agent spending period.  He'll save the money to re-sign the players that fit his system.  As a Packers fan, I hope he knows what he's doing.  He'll either build a great team or fall apart.  I don't see any middle ground with this guy.  I'm hoping he's brilliant.
Well, he had a hand in Seattle's success (minus the FAs they brought in prior to last season) so he can't be all bad.I agree he will focues on re-signing key pieces, but he'll also look for reasonably priced veterans who can come in a fill holes. I doubt we'll ever see him award a huge payday to an UFA.

Users who are viewing this thread