What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (10 Viewers)

Posting this here since I can't seem to find the 2022 ranking thread. New Beatles song comes out next Thursday, so it might be time for a redo.

I was just coming in to post about this!

"'Now And Then' is the last Beatles song — written and sung by John Lennon, developed and worked on by Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr, and now finally finished by Paul and Ringo over four decades later. On November 2nd, "Now And Then" will be released worldwide at 2pm GMT/10am EDT/7am PDT."

I am excite.

Posting this here since I can't seem to find the 2022 ranking thread. New Beatles song comes out next Thursday, so it might be time for a redo.

I was just coming in to post about this!

"'Now And Then' is the last Beatles song — written and sung by John Lennon, developed and worked on by Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr, and now finally finished by Paul and Ringo over four decades later. On November 2nd, "Now And Then" will be released worldwide at 2pm GMT/10am EDT/7am PDT."

I am excite.

I assume everyone has their alarms set for the release of "Now and Then" at 7 am PDT tomorrow. To whet your appetite, there's a 12-minute documentary about its production. Did I get a little misty watching this? No, I didn't. I got a lot misty.

I don’t know how this version of Now and Then will be received, or whether it will stand the test of time or be treated like a “oh yeah they did that too” novelty-like track. I do know that I’m so happy that they didn’t finish it for the Anthology. It’s IMO the best constructed song of the three John demos, and deserves the best shot at sounding like a proper Beatles song.

It definitely got dusty in my house watching that documentary and hearing the isolated John vocal track the first time.

Last edited:
I do know that I’m so happy that they didn’t finish it for the Anthology.

This is exactly what I thought. Having watched the documentary and seen that it was only with today's technology that they could get John's voice up in the mix without also heightening the piano, I'm so happy they waited. John's vocal is absolutely the star of the song and should be.

Paul also does an amazing George impression on the slide guitar solo.

I'm a little surprised this song didn't get worked into Double Fantasy. Seems like it would fit well there.

In my opinion, this is the best of the three post-John Beatles songs, and I like the others.

I love it. Got actual chills when I heard Paul count them in at the beginning.

I made Mr. krista fire this up on the good speakers for our first listen, and I sat on the floor midway between them while he was in a chair to the side. The moment John's voice kicked in, I looked back at him because I was already in the feels.

I hadn't even thought about the count in! A perfect bit of Paul.

I made Mr. krista fire this up on the good speakers for our first listen, and I sat on the floor midway between them while he was in a chair to the side. The moment John's voice kicked in, I looked back at him because I was already in the feels.

Yea I love it. My wife isn’t as into music as I am, and while she was impressed by it I don’t think she gets just how enormously cool something like this is. Blows me away we actually have this.

I found myself getting a little verklempt when I heard John's voice :cry:. Man, what could have been had fate not taken the horrible turn it did for him.

I like it a little more each time I've played it. I just can't get over how appropriate the title is. It could have been a new song titled "Piggies" or something, but no, it's Now and Then. :heart:

Apart from the vast difference in technology between now and the Anthology sessions, this song has a much different musical feel than the Anthology songs. Far more melancholy, played in a minor key.

I can’t help but feel that Paul, being in a different phase of life today and likely in a different place musically, was the more appropriate person to finish this song off than 1994 Paul would have been if that makes sense. Kind of like how Johnny Cash could only perform ”Hurt” in that fashion during that phase of his life and not 30 years earlier.

I like it a little more each time I've played it. I just can't get over how appropriate the title is. It could have been a new song titled "Piggies" or something, but no, it's Now and Then. :heart:

In case anyone in here didn't read every word of my post-Beatles countdown thread, I wanted to share this story that I posted at that time that might give you an idea of why the words "now and then" have even more special meaning to Paul that you might suppose. This was my write-up for the song "My Old Friend" by Carl Perkins and Paul McCartney:

Perkins wrote this song in 1981 while he was in Monserrat working with Paul on the Tug Of War sessions, contributing the song “Get It.” To thank Paul for the invite, he wrote this loving song of appreciation and presented it to Paul, who insisted that Perkins stick around an extra day so that they could record it immediately.

Why was Paul so taken with this song? From this video interview with Carl and Paul, you can understand why it meant so much to them and why it makes it to my Paul top 100 despite not being written by Paul

“Half way through the song, after singing ‘if we never meet again this side of life, in a little while, over yonder, where there’s peace and quiet, my old friend, won’t you think about me every now and then?’ tears streamed down Paul’s face and he stood up and stepped outside." Not knowing what the matter was, Carl stopped, a bit shaken. Didn’t Paul like the song? Linda warmly put her arms around Carl, and thanked him. She said the song was getting Paul to finally connect with his grief over John Lennon’s death. Linda explained that the last time Paul talked to John, he had said the same line to Paul: 'think about me every now and then, my old friend.’ Carl and Linda were now convinced that the song had been channeled from John Lennon’s spirit, as a gift to Paul.”

(Also, it’s a great song, with both of them in fine voice.)

Reminder: songs by one or more Beatles in tribute or in kindness to another Beatle get 52 squillion extra points from me. This is also not the last time this maxim will arise.

In case anyone in here didn't read every word of my post-Beatles countdown thread, I wanted to share this story that I posted at that time that might give you an idea of why the words "now and then" have even more special meaning to Paul that you might suppose. This was my write-up for the song "My Old Friend" by Carl Perkins and Paul McCartney:

Perkins wrote this song in 1981 while he was in Monserrat working with Paul on the Tug Of War sessions, contributing the song “Get It.” To thank Paul for the invite, he wrote this loving song of appreciation and presented it to Paul, who insisted that Perkins stick around an extra day so that they could record it immediately.

Why was Paul so taken with this song? From this video interview with Carl and Paul, you can understand why it meant so much to them and why it makes it to my Paul top 100 despite not being written by Paul

“Half way through the song, after singing ‘if we never meet again this side of life, in a little while, over yonder, where there’s peace and quiet, my old friend, won’t you think about me every now and then?’ tears streamed down Paul’s face and he stood up and stepped outside." Not knowing what the matter was, Carl stopped, a bit shaken. Didn’t Paul like the song? Linda warmly put her arms around Carl, and thanked him. She said the song was getting Paul to finally connect with his grief over John Lennon’s death. Linda explained that the last time Paul talked to John, he had said the same line to Paul: 'think about me every now and then, my old friend.’ Carl and Linda were now convinced that the song had been channeled from John Lennon’s spirit, as a gift to Paul.”

(Also, it’s a great song, with both of them in fine voice.)

Reminder: songs by one or more Beatles in tribute or in kindness to another Beatle get 52 squillion extra points from me. This is also not the last time this maxim will arise.
Thank you for that. ❤️

I agree that it gets better every time you listen to it. The verses have a comparative quality to one of my absolute favorite late-period Paul joints, "I Don't Know", And, being Mr. Harmony Guy, those 2-3 seconds of some 3 part "Because"-like harmonies in the interlude have me all aquiver.

It was so awesome to get a text from my daughter at college last night, asking me if I'd heard the new Beatles song, and then having her tell me that she was excited that she could now say she was alive when a new Beatles song was released.

Today I learned via the game show Master Minds that Los Angeles removed the street sign for Blue Jay Way after people kept stealing it. The name of the road is now painted on the street.

I saw a clickbait thing touting the three musicians George Harrison hated.

Mr. Give Me Love, Give Me Peace on Earth hated certain people?

Since this was clickbait, not exactly. He didn’t hate the actual people, just something about their music.

He hated Neil Young’s guitar playing and was appalled by it during the all-star jams at the Bob Dylan 30th anniversary concert.

He didn’t care for Oasis but thought they would be better if they ditched Liam Gallagher.

He thought Elton John’s songs were formulaic.

I saw a clickbait thing touting the three musicians George Harrison hated.

Mr. Give Me Love, Give Me Peace on Earth hated certain people?

Since this was clickbait, not exactly. He didn’t hate the actual people, just something about their music.

He hated Neil Young’s guitar playing and was appalled by it during the all-star jams at the Bob Dylan 30th anniversary concert.

He didn’t care for Oasis but thought they would be better if they ditched Liam Gallagher.

He thought Elton John’s songs were formulaic.

Hmmm, I knew there'd been a dispute with Oasis but hadn't heard the other two before now.

In the first game of the Jeopardy Tournament of Champions finals, one of the categories was "One-Word Beatles Song Titles".

$200: This word can precede cake or suit
What is Birthday?

$400: As April 15 approaches, count on seeing the jocular phrase this person "cometh"
What is Taxman?

$600: Chicagoans Marian & Fraser Robinson are seen here in 1964 with son Craig and this daughter
Who is Michelle (Robinson Obama)?

$800: A "Glorious" one occurred in England in 1688 when one monarch was replaced with a pair
What is Revolution?

$1000: In winter, the red-winged variety can congregate in flocks of several million
What is Blackbird?

Users who are viewing this thread