What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (3 Viewers)

Offensive play calling. Why no hurry up until mid 4th qtr? Why no classic NE dink and dunk ... at all?
I am not a Patriots fan, but I did watch the game since it was on tv here, and I also wondered why they weren't doing their dinking and dunking that usually moves them down the field.

anyone else care to comment on what we watched yesterday?

- Lack of talent on defense ... all 3 levels. This has to be the worst defense NE has fielded in the Brady era. 

weak pass rush, mistakes in the secondary, and LB's that are too slow vs a mobile QB.

Sad part is, as bad as the defense was, they did enough to win the game ... if the offense played like it has recently.

- Lack of talent on O-line

too many O-linemen facing the QB at the end of each play. Several times Titans coming thru clean without a hand put on them.

Did Scarnechia retire again? This group seems to be regressing for whatever reason.

- Offensive play calling. Why no hurry up until mid 4th qtr? Why no classic NE dink and dunk ... at all?

Did TEN take away the middle of the field on every play somehow? Just a feeble game plan on that side of the ball and no effective adjustments at halftime.  

The good news, Belichick has another 2 months to polish this turd before NE hosts a week 1 playoff game. 
With Shaq Mason out, the game was over when Trent Brown went down.

Basically no room for error in today's NFL....particularly when you are matching up against the one team in the NFL that knows your tendencies better than anyone.

I don't think it's a coincidence that NE has gotten smoked twice by Patricia and Vrabel. They know these guys.

Offensive line issues didn't help.

Surprised J. White finally had a sunday off. Wanted more from J. Gordon who all week everyone was saying was going to torch M. Butler (and then it was A. Jackson who was on him most of the game).

Heading into Week 13, here is the PFF player performance report card for NE (only players that qualify are included):

QB
Brady - QB 6

RB
Michel - HB 18
White - HB 21
Develin - FB 4

WR
Edelman - WR 30
Gordon - WR 31
Dorsett - WR 61
Hogan - WR 104

TE
Gronk - TE 6
Allen - TE 57

OL
Andrew - C 8
Mason - G 2
Tuney G 9
Cannon - T 25
Brown - T 34
Waddle - T 71

DB
Gilmore - CB 2
McCourty - CB 7
Jones - CB 67
McCourty - S 11
Chung - S 40
Harmon - S 58

LB
Hightower - LB 33
Van Noy - LB 42
Roberts - LB 42

DL
Guy - Interior 9
Shelton - Interior 39
Brown - Interior 92
Flowers - Edge 2
Clayborn - Edge 27
Wise - Edge 90
Butler - Edge 104

Interesting that Michel is rated higher than White, as White was picked as the team's MVP so far by local media. Really solid on the interior OL but not so much at tackle. Slim pickings at LB. I didn't check other teams, but I doubt there is a team with two Top 7 CBs (but that's just a guess). IMO Devin McCourty hasn't played like the #11 safety. Given the defensive rankings, you would think the Pats wouldn't be ranked Bottom 10 in yards allowed. Somehow they rank 11th in points allowed.

As for recently departed former Patriots, here are the PFF grades so far . . .

Lewis - HB 43
Blount - HB 59
Cooks - WR 12
Amendola - WR 59
Solder - T 18
Ryan - CB 29
Butler - CB 101
Collins - LB 47
CJones - Edge 20
Sheard - Edge 22
CLong - Edge 23
Collins - LB 47

On a side note, sports talk media folks almost in unison seem to have soured on the Josh Gordon trade, asserting that he hasn't done much, doesn't offer much help to open the field for other receiving threats, has dropped a zillion passes, isn't on the same page with Brady, and essentially the Pats just gave away a draft pick to CLE. I don't put a ton of stock in what they have to say, but I thought it was interesting that they are already ready to call it another BB blunder.

last week it was good to see Brady move the ball around better, Dorsett and Hogan more involved. For the offense's sake, it was also a good game for Gordon with more selective use. Also good to see Gronk and Edelman get in the end zone and the running game was very good (with Bulkhead now back too). But dang, do they look bad at times on both sides of the ball, like for quarters at a time, and seem  better in the 4th.

I'm in the camp that come playoff time, things will be clicking. The Vikings and Steelers games should be telling.

Been watching NE just as a Gronk/White owner this year.  

Im 100% convinced we’ve seen 2 different basic types of offense based on Brady doing what he’s had to do with the personnel he’a had.  I’ll call them Offense 1 and Offense 2.

Offense 1: (Everybody’s healthy)

Everything is based on establishing the run, this slows the pash rush and sets up play action passes (LB eyes in the backfield is how Gronk got open for the TD past week). 

This is the offense they want to employ, it could win some playoff games, and they just got back to it after the bye.  But it’s based on a strong interior run game and they haven’t had that for large stretches of the season due to injuries.

Offense 2: (No RBs But James White are healthy)

This offense totally depends on receivers getting open in coverage and Brady finding them.  No serious running threat.  James White’s chemistry with Brady is crucial here, keeps Brady safe and has earned White a career season.  Has to be White, no one else has the chemistry with Brady to make this work.

This offense isn’t going deep in the playoffs but when the injury bug hit the fact that Brady and White could make it work won NE many more games than it lost them and got them to a point they’re healthy enough to return to offense #1.

Part of why Gronk has had a rough season is that this second type of offense doesn’t work for receivers who can’t dependably get separation from DBs without a real running threat/play action.

I don’t like the Pats but I respect them, and seeing the versatility of winning both ways this season is something I respect.

Sure is quiet in here.

Extended pre-season is over ... Month of December is normally when NE is firing on all cylinders.

Not so much this year. I've criticized the defense for lack of talent but now it seems the offense is sputtering.

Seems they've been trying to make this a "run first" offense mostly all year ... which makes sense if you didn't have Tom Brady as your QB.

Makes me wonder if they're trying to save Brady's arm for the playoffs? ... or is Brady injured like rumors suspect? Knee ... or he's always had a shoulder thing.

Or is this attempt at a run heavy offense an effort to extend his career? If so, it seems to be failing. 

Seems the days of NE spraying the ball around to "anyone who's open" on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down are gone.

Now they give us 1st down run it into the pile for 2 yards more often than not ... ending in a punt 3 plays later.

I'm not high on Sony Michel as everyone else. He gets what's given to him and nothing more.

Really think they could have landed a free agent or later round draft pick to get what this guy is giving.

I get steamed when I watch Michel fall into that pile of bodies for a yard and a half ... and every time that happens I think of how Darius Leonard would look in this defense. (ROY?) My gosh what a shame. NE was set up to take him there. Got their OL first and that was the time for defense.

I really think BB gave that pick to McDaniels to make. I can't begin to imagine a situation where BB takes a RB there with all the bums he has at LB going into this year.

And how pathetic is the rest of the AFC that this team is being gifted the #2 seed? 

Last season the Pats were given the easiest road to the SB ... TEN and JAX ... and almost blew it.

This season it's happening all over again. Amazing. 

One would expect the Chargers (or Chiefs) here for the first playoff game (after the bye).

I certainly hope NE's got something up their sleeve for that one.

Rant is over ... for now

One would expect the Chargers (or Chiefs) here for the first playoff game (after the bye).
If the Pats lock up the 2 seed, the only way they would play KC or LAC is if both wildcard teams won. The top seed gets the lowest remaining seed . . . even if that team has the best record of any remaining team. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they have a great chance to make it to yet another Super Bowl again. The reason? Their defense and run game. Not to mention the fact that they are the healthiest team left in the AFC. 

As I mentioned in one of the other threads, if the Pats can get someone else to take out KC, their chances of returning to the SB will skyrocket. The Miami Miracle cost them the top seed.

At home this year: 8-0, +130 point differential, + 890 yardage differential
On the road: 3-5, -19 point differential, - 341 yardage differential

Unlike other seasons, they actually fared better against good teams and played worse against mediocre ones. They went 4-0 against playoff teams with wins against KC (12-4), CHI (12-4), HOU (11-5), and IND (10-6).

Well it could have been a lot easier had HOU won last week.

Chargers like to throw to the RB ... Pats LB's are too slow to defend.

Wonder if the Pats play a base nickle D (3 safeties) and take their chances with a banged up Melvin Gordon taking handoffs. He looked pretty awful after coming back into the game last week.

On offense, I still feel the Pats can put up points when they need to. Just feels like they were holding back all season long .. trying to be "run heavy".  ...and now they'll flip the switch.

To start with ...  more passing to James White and less hand offs to Phony Michel.

The last game of the season vs the Jets seemed to prove what "could be" if they aren't running for 2 yards on 1st down.

Brady and Gronk had an extra week to help with whatever injuries they seem to be dealing with.

... and LA having to travel back and forth across the country again and again. then playing the early game. Maybe some jet lag.

Even though the Chargers overall are likely a more talented team, reasons for optimism for NE . . .

- NE has won 15 home games in a row, with the average margin of victory 16 points.
- Rivers has never beaten Brady (0-7) or won in NE (0-4, losing by an average of 14 points).
- The Pats with Brady are 19-3 (.864) playing at home in the playoffs, winning by an average of 11 points.
- With Brady, the Patriots coming off a bye and playing at home in the divisional round have gone 11-1.
- Rivers has never won consecutive road playoff games.
- For as poor as some people think NE has played, they scored more points and allowed fewer points this year than the Chargers did.
- In the past 15 years, Rivers is 1-4 in games at or below freezing. NE is 27-7 in that same time frame. (Game time temp projected to be in the 20's.)
- The Chargers with Rivers since he became the starter have gone a combined 17-21 in coast-to-coast travel games.
- NE with Brady has gone 11-3 in home games against West Coast teams.

Again, that might not mean a whole lot as not many players that will be on the field this week were a part of that.

Bossman said:
... and LA having to travel back and forth across the country again and again. then playing the early game. Maybe some jet lag.
why didnt they just say on the east coast this week?  rent a practice facility in baltimore and stay in the same hotels.  then go to foxburo on schedule.

why didnt they just say on the east coast this week?  rent a practice facility in baltimore and stay in the same hotels.  then go to foxburo on schedule.
Likely didn't pack for 2 weeks / 2 games.

Of the 6 days between games, It's going to cost them two days of practice / meetings / film .... while NE has 2 full weeks of practice.

That said, NE defense is pretty bad this year. Chargers can certainly get the W.

Well THAT was what I thought NE offense was capable of. The first half anyway.

15 receptions for James White. It works, keep doing it.

"We're on to Kansas City". Where's your confidence level going into this one on the road?

they assumed they were going to lose?
I suggested that LA likely didn't pack for 2 weeks / 2 games.

Are you suggesting that they DID? ... and just chose to go back to LA anyway?  :confused:

Or are you suggesting that the SHOULD have packed for 2 weeks 2 games and DIDN'T? ... in which case I wasn't wrong for suggesting that they probably didn't.

Guess the Chargers can try and get a last minute refund on 132 flights to KC today. 

Well THAT was what I thought NE offense was capable of. The first half anyway.

15 receptions for James White. It works, keep doing it.

"We're on to Kansas City". Where's your confidence level going into this one on the road?
50/50. I think some of the Chargers game was a mirage, as I doubt NE will be able to impose its will against KC and I doubt the NE defense will play as well. Put another way, nothing beats home cooking.

KC has home field, a young gunslinger, and more explosive skill players. NE has BB, Brady, health, and experience. If the weather is cold and nasty, in some ways I think that helps NE if that serves to slow down the KC offense some. We all remember the debacle that was the last time NE played at Arrowhead.

Hard to know going in how Mahomes responds to the big spotlight. This will be his first AFCCG or SB. Like I say all the time, you can't practice a three foot putt to win the Masters. Brady will be playing in his 21st such game. The last 3 NE conference game road losses all came against a seasoned Peyton that had seen everything BB could throw at him before. Can they confuse Mahomes enough to get a few stops or force the Chiefs into FGs instead of TDs?

A lot will depend what the evil genius has up his sleeve on both offense and defense. It's hard to prepare a team for things they haven't seen or aren't on tape. I think that's part of the reason they have struggled some against the Chiefs in the last few years . . . the games were played early in the season and the Chiefs had wrinkles BB could not have schemed for.

I also think a lot will depend on how aggressive NE is from the opening whistle. Their usual strategy is to play somewhat conservatively to start and hope the other team makes more mistakes than they do. That probably won't be enough to win. Limiting dumb penalties will be HUGE. The Pats haven't missed Gordon the last few games but likely will this week. If they can run the ball like they have been, that sets up play action and can make the offense hum along and hard to stop.

I think the secondary has improved since the Week 6 game. I still don't have faith that the front seven can stop the run or they can handle guys coming out of the backfield in coverage. The Chargers didn't really go that route until very late when the game was already decided. I would guess NE doubles Hill and Kelce and tries to force the Chiefs to run the ball or target other players.

Safety McCourty can match Hill in speed, so I would guess he will be the over the top help again. Maybe the McCourty twins on Hill. I wonder if they would put Gilmore and Chung on Kelce. KC will likely counter with quick hitters and slants to take advantage of their speed. As you say all the time, generating a pass rush could make or break them.

Rare when NE is an underdog. Suppose that might NOT be the case if they were playing at home.

Interesting that I'm complaining about their defense since last years playoffs ... 

yet they supposedly have the highest ranked defense left of the 4 teams?

... and NE offense is ranked #4 in the league ... only behind Rams, Saints, and Chiefs (3,2,1)

Could I be so wrong? .... maybe defense isn't all that it's cracked up to be these days ...

and Sony Michel will carry NE to another championship.  :lol:

I'll admit, I was wrong about this team. Had my doubts they could get back to the SB ...

and unlike last year, this year they had to earn it, playing the best 2 teams in the AFC to get there.

and yet I still have doubts about their defense ... will it take the Rams half a game to figure it out like LAC and KC did?

I said it previously and I still believe ... if NE can win the SB this year, it will be the greatest accomplishment for BB behind only his first as a head coach in 2001.

amazeballs at how he continues to win with less talent than his opponents.

will it take the Rams half a game to figure it out like LAC and KC did?
Teams tend to show up for the SB.  Having said that, the first half of SBs is very often a chess match.  I'm not a believer in Goff, but they are loaded with skill players.

I said it previously and I still believe ... if NE can win the SB this year, it will be the greatest accomplishment for BB behind only his first as a head coach in 2001.

amazeballs at how he continues to win with less talent than his opponents.
See...this is where we disagree.  Scroll up a bit and you'll see 10 players who performed as top 10 talent in the league.  Last year's weakness in defense has turned into a strength.  Classic no name defense chock full of unheralded stars....Gilmore is getting pub but who talks about Flowers or Guy or the McCourtys?  Offense has been running power through the playoffs allowing the old guys to eviscerate defenses with play action.  Everyone gravitates to superstars like Antonio Brown and Aaron Donald, but the most talented team is the team with the best 52 players.

Been watching NE just as a Gronk/White owner this year.  

Im 100% convinced we’ve seen 2 different basic types of offense based on Brady doing what he’s had to do with the personnel he’a had.  I’ll call them Offense 1 and Offense 2.

Offense 1: (Everybody’s healthy)

Everything is based on establishing the run, this slows the pash rush and sets up play action passes (LB eyes in the backfield is how Gronk got open for the TD past week). 

This is the offense they want to employ, it could win some playoff games, and they just got back to it after the bye.  But it’s based on a strong interior run game and they haven’t had that for large stretches of the season due to injuries.

Offense 2: (No RBs But James White are healthy)

This offense totally depends on receivers getting open in coverage and Brady finding them.  No serious running threat.  James White’s chemistry with Brady is crucial here, keeps Brady safe and has earned White a career season.  Has to be White, no one else has the chemistry with Brady to make this work.

This offense isn’t going deep in the playoffs but when the injury bug hit the fact that Brady and White could make it work won NE many more games than it lost them and got them to a point they’re healthy enough to return to offense #1.

Part of why Gronk has had a rough season is that this second type of offense doesn’t work for receivers who can’t dependably get separation from DBs without a real running threat/play action.

I don’t like the Pats but I respect them, and seeing the versatility of winning both ways this season is something I respect.
Great post from 2 months ago

So tired of hearing about how the Pats have no deep threat, how about Philip "4.3" Dorsett?

That Edelman/Gronk/White trio totally outstanding and why Tom Brady will hoist another Lombardi trophey.

SeniorVBDStudent said:
Teams tend to show up for the SB.  Having said that, the first half of SBs is very often a chess match.  I'm not a believer in Goff, but they are loaded with skill players.

See...this is where we disagree.  Scroll up a bit and you'll see 10 players who performed as top 10 talent in the league.  Last year's weakness in defense has turned into a strength.  Classic no name defense chock full of unheralded stars....Gilmore is getting pub but who talks about Flowers or Guy or the McCourtys?  Offense has been running power through the playoffs allowing the old guys to eviscerate defenses with play action.  Everyone gravitates to superstars like Antonio Brown and Aaron Donald, but the most talented team is the team with the best 52 players.
to rebut .... our take on the defense couldn't be any farther apart.

Lack of talent at all 3 levels and it hasn't gotten better since last years SB. In fact, may actually be worse.

Flowers is the one bright spot. The rest of that front is their standard cast offs and late draft picks (I assume). Gonna suck if they lose him in free agency this offseason.

Sure they're near the top in the league in sacks but I'll argue that the high number of sacks is a result of NE's offense putting pressure on teams to throw the ball.. typically playing from behind. NE D probably gets 25% more sack opportunities than the avg team.

LB's ... Hightower is another year slower. Van Noy / Roberts? Slow like molasses. Covering RB's out of the backfield is an impossibility for them.

CB's / Safety - Gilmore & McCourty are solid at CB/S ... after that it's a hodge podge of less than average warm bodies.

To the point NE has had to go to the smoke and mirror "stand up" defense to try and get a leg up on the opponent.

Defense looked good last week vs KC ... but KC barely had the ball in the first half. Not hard to look good on defense when the other teams offense is on the bench.

Second half was a better sample of what NE's D is actually capable of when the other team gets a chance. KC was moving the ball at will towards the end of that game.

Today is my absolute favorite day to be out. It’s Patriots Swarm day. EVERYONE is decked out in their Patriots garb. It’s a sea or red, white, and blue. You can build up quite a clothing collection over 17 or 18 years. 

Today I saw a newborn in Pats gear and a 90 year old with a cane and a Brady jersey. People were out reliving past Super Bowls, sharing stories, discussing recipes,  and just all getting along and in a good mood. Reviewing where there were for the Edelman miracle catch. Remembering when it was almost over before it started with the Tuck Rule play.

Fans of other teams can’t remotely begin to understand the rallying call locally for the Patriots. The rest of the world 100% HATES the Patriots. All the stuff that Brady has been saying is true. The entire world wants NE to lose and wants them dead and buried. 

In another 7 or 8 years when Brady finally retires, I hope fans of other teams can celebrate and come together for their teams to experience the Super Bowl. But until then, Pats fans just embrace the hate.

Meh. The 80s 49ers would be up 21 or 28 to zip on this Rams team on their way to about their 10 SB win if they were playing in this era.

Meh. The 80s 49ers would be up 21 or 28 to zip on this Rams team on their way to about their 10 SB win if they were playing in this era.
Do people not realize that there is a salary cap? So teams like the Niners would not be rolling out the NFC’s Pro Bowl team year after year in this era. 

Would that defense hold this Rams team, averaging 33 points per game, to 3 points ?

This dynasty does it with offense and/or defense. And it was tremendous defense which earned them Title #6.

Didn't the 80s 49ers get shut down a couple times by the Giants and Defensive Coordinator Bill Belichick?

My take on our QB situation...never a huge Jimmy G. fan because he's done nothing but prove to be brittle.  I'm glad they shipped him out, although would have preferred a better return than what we got.  In the end, keeping Brady happy (with shipping Jimmy out and allowing Alex back into the fold) has resulted in another SB win.  We are now playing with house money, IMO.

I think Brady will end his career much like he started...game manager type, solid QB but alot better than his early years simply because of his vast experience.  After all, he's averaged an extra 3 games per year than most QBs for such a long, long time.  That's crazy.

My take on our QB situation...never a huge Jimmy G. fan because he's done nothing but prove to be brittle.  I'm glad they shipped him out, although would have preferred a better return than what we got.  In the end, keeping Brady happy (with shipping Jimmy out and allowing Alex back into the fold) has resulted in another SB win.  We are now playing with house money, IMO.

I think Brady will end his career much like he started...game manager type, solid QB but alot better than his early years simply because of his vast experience.  After all, he's averaged an extra 3 games per year than most QBs for such a long, long time.  That's crazy.
I keep hearing this from the talking heads, but the market for a top back up QB has pretty much been set at a 2nd round pick for the past 10 or so years. People feel they should have gotten more for him based on his play AFTER he went to the Niners. He had played a whopping game and a half for NE. Not exactly a lot to go on.

I never believed the hype that the Browns were offering multiple first round picks. Could NE maybe have gotten a better second round pick or a late first for Jimmy G.? Who knows. But by the time they decided to trade him, they were out of time and had to act pretty quickly. He would have had to been franchised and signed to trade him, and who knows how amenable Garoppolo would have been to that. And then they would have had $45 or $50 million applied to the cap until they got rid of Jimmy. Not sure that was a viable option.

I keep hearing this from the talking heads, but the market for a top back up QB has pretty much been set at a 2nd round pick for the past 10 or so years. People feel they should have gotten more for him based on his play AFTER he went to the Niners. He had played a whopping game and a half for NE. Not exactly a lot to go on.

I never believed the hype that the Browns were offering multiple first round picks. Could NE maybe have gotten a better second round pick or a late first for Jimmy G.? Who knows. But by the time they decided to trade him, they were out of time and had to act pretty quickly. He would have had to been franchised and signed to trade him, and who knows how amenable Garoppolo would have been to that. And then they would have had $45 or $50 million applied to the cap until they got rid of Jimmy. Not sure that was a viable option.
Might have been more to get him out of the AFC and with a guy BB respects too.  Reports had CLE giving two firsts which would have been a no brainer, IMO

Amendola looks like his time in Miami is coming to a close. A Patriots reunion already being discussed by the media. 

I had been saying all year that the Patriots could not win a championship with that defense.

Somehow that Patriots defense was more than great in the playoffs. It really all came together somehow.

Pass rush was effective, which is what helped the DB's to play as well as ever.

IMO, it was also enhanced by the game plan. Seems the coaching put them in the right place at the right time. I would still like to see more talent on that side of the ball.

Obviously signing Flowers should be priority #1. ... but after that, I'm not sure where there top position of need is this offseason. ... ILB and OLB still?

Is finding their next QB a priority now?... or should they focus on replacing Gronk at TE? ... or a WR? 

Patriots trading their #32 pick in the 2019 draft to get Josh Rosen (drafted as #10 player in 2018) would be hilarious.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5292752/nfl-rumors-patriots-could-make-a-play-for-josh-rosen/

"Working on an article on it today but if AZ did decide to move on Josh Rosen, I think the fans who are angrily blasting people saying the team would "100% get a 1st for him" need to realize....AZ has no leverage on any trade w/ any team if they wanted Murray."

https://twitter.com/blakemurphy7/status/1095363191775756288

Amendola looks like his time in Miami is coming to a close. A Patriots reunion already being discussed by the media. 
Well Amendola knows the system. Would be plug and play. ... but were bridges burned in that relationship last off season?

At his advanced age, would he still be a better option than a free agent or rookie coming in fresh?

And wth happened to Hogan this year? No longer the deep threat that he was (on occasion)... can not create separation. Pretty much useless in that SB.

Do they bother trying to resign him? Is Hogan still a better option than Amendola?

Well Amendola knows the system. Would be plug and play. ... but were bridges burned in that relationship last off season?

At his advanced age, would he still be a better option than a free agent or rookie coming in fresh?

And wth happened to Hogan this year? No longer the deep threat that he was (on occasion)... can not create separation. Pretty much useless in that SB.

Do they bother trying to resign him? Is Hogan still a better option than Amendola?
Amendola is due $2 million if he is on the Miami roster on 3/13. Then can cut him with no cap hit at all. Not sure how much demand there will be for a 10 year veteran, 34 year old receiver that has missed 34 career games coming off a 59-575-1 season. I am guessing that interest will be on the light side and not near the $6 million a year mark the Dolphins gave him.

IMO, he'd be a cheap third down receiver that could play limited snaps and still help them.  If no one else wants him, he's likely take less money to still have a job.

As far as Hogan goes, it would not surprise me if he ends up having off season mysterious off season surgery. If he didn't have an undisclosed injury, then NE won't really be interested in bringing him back. If he did have an injury and has been putting off surgery to get through the season, then it depends what the injury is and what the prognosis is. I am guessing they will probably move on, but I think that depends who comes back. I think it would be tough on Brady and the offense if they have Edelman and all new WR's and TE's beyond that.

Wouldn't mind seeing them sign Adam Humphries or Jamison Crowder, both quick type receivers and still young enough. Plus they shouldn't be overly expensive. I think Hogan, Dorsett and Cordarrelle are likely gone. Of those three Dorsett might be a maybe since he will be so cheap. 

I had been saying all year that the Patriots could not win a championship with that defense.

Somehow that Patriots defense was more than great in the playoffs. It really all came together somehow.

Pass rush was effective, which is what helped the DB's to play as well as ever.

IMO, it was also enhanced by the game plan. Seems the coaching put them in the right place at the right time. I would still like to see more talent on that side of the ball.

Obviously signing Flowers should be priority #1. ... but after that, I'm not sure where there top position of need is this offseason. ... ILB and OLB still?

Is finding their next QB a priority now?... or should they focus on replacing Gronk at TE? ... or a WR? 
ILB, TE, QB, WR, WR

But other teams will screw up the draft and BB will steal a DT or CB that falls way too low.  Happens every year.

Qb with a 3rd rd comp pick this year, then get our future starter next year or the year after in an actual good QB class

If Rosen is now available I wonder if NE is interested. 

I believe they were interested last year.

Probably would have to give up #32. Gotta think Rosen would still be ranked higher than Lock if he were in the draft this year.

Pats trading a 5th round pick to PHI for DL Michael Bennett and a 7th. Already talk of his brother Martellus coming out of retirement to rejoin NE. Gronk also rumored to be in discussions with the team to see if they can find help at TE to potentially put Gronk on a snap count

If Rosen is now available I wonder if NE is interested. 

I believe they were interested last year.

Probably would have to give up #32. Gotta think Rosen would still be ranked higher than Lock if he were in the draft this year.
I would like to see Bill give a 2nd rounder for Rosen. I wouldn't part with #32.

Amendola taking a physical today with DET. Expected to sign a one year deal worth $4.5 million all guaranteed with another $1.2 million available through incentives. 

Users who are viewing this thread