What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (5 Viewers)

Imagine if this does happen now what does New England do at pick 15 assuming they don’t trade down? Some good corners and tackles would be there. 
I heard they are aggressive calling teams about moving up. And moving down. Even with JG, they could easily be looking for a longer term solution at QB. They are still actively considering all sorts of options. 

I heard they are aggressive calling teams about moving up. And moving down. Even with JG, they could easily be looking for a longer term solution at QB. They are still actively considering all sorts of options. 
I think it would be sort of ####ty situation if you bring in Jimmy and then trade up for a QBs. Or even say fields falls to 15 and you take him. Can’t imagine Bill putting Jimmy in that uncomfortable situation. That is why 49ers are dealing Jimmy(if true rumor), that is, to avoid a lockeroom headache. 

Trading down doesn’t really make sense unless they generate a future pick. With 10 picks you would expect they would like to trade a few into next year. 

Using that mock draft tool at pff, Barmore(DL) comes up as best available at 15. Horn(CB) and Darrisaw(OT) are there too. The radio guys believe Belichick nails his first round defensive picks. Maybe getting Horn makes sense to prepare for future if Jackson and/or Gilmore leave. 

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't even see why NE would have interest in Jimmy G at all. I think Newton is both cheaper and better, and would prove it now that NE has actual weapons in the passing game.

Garoppolo is Teddy Bridgewater with a better publicist. Probably rather have Teddy to be honest.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't even see why NE would have interest in Jimmy G at all. I think Newton is both cheaper and better, and would prove it now that NE has actual weapons in the passing game.

Garoppolo is Teddy Bridgewater with a better publicist. Probably rather have Teddy to be honest.
Not being a jerk but did you watch the Pats last year?  Cam is done, he has nothing left, he can barely throw and the Pats have no upside with him...Rodney Harrison describes it best:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/rodney-harrison-cam-newton-cant-play-football-nfl-anymore

As for Jimmy G I think most Pats fans are realistic...he is an upgrade over Cam first and foremost...with BB and McDaniel and his familiarity with them there is hope he can become an above average starter that you can win with if his surroundings are solid which after the free agency binge is hopefully the case...I don't think anyone expecting him to become an All Pro but outside of getting one of the big time rookies he is the best option they have to upgrade this position at this point and time (and again, they are familiar with him)...my first preference is trading up for one of the big 5 rookies but I am more than fine with adding Jimmy G and than adding one of the second-tier rookie QBs and crossing my fingers that works out short and long term...as long as it is not Cam I will be able to look forward to this season.

Not being a jerk but did you watch the Pats last year?  Cam is done, he has nothing left, he can barely throw and the Pats have no upside with him...Rodney Harrison describes it best:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/rodney-harrison-cam-newton-cant-play-football-nfl-anymore

As for Jimmy G I think most Pats fans are realistic...he is an upgrade over Cam first and foremost...with BB and McDaniel and his familiarity with them there is hope he can become an above average starter that you can win with if his surroundings are solid which after the free agency binge is hopefully the case...I don't think anyone expecting him to become an All Pro but outside of getting one of the big time rookies he is the best option they have to upgrade this position at this point and time (and again, they are familiar with him)...my first preference is trading up for one of the big 5 rookies but I am more than fine with adding Jimmy G and than adding one of the second-tier rookie QBs and crossing my fingers that works out short and long term...as long as it is not Cam I will be able to look forward to this season.
At first I was in complete agreement with you on Cam.  His arm is shot.  His decision making was questionable.  His body cannot take the "run first" mentality it once held.  

However, some reports had the Covid hindered off-season & him catching it having a major impact on his physical ability to play Sunday.  If true, NE would be in a good position to know he was severly handicapped last year.  I think I want to see what he can do before I write him off.   

Now, I traded him away for 3.03 in a 12 Team 1 QB league and feel good about it, so my dog left the yard. 

Last edited by a moderator:
At first I was in complete agreement with you on Cam.  His arm is shot.  His decision making was questionable.  His body cannot take the "run first" mentality it once held.  

However, some reports had the Covid hindered off-season & him catching it having a major impact on his physical ability to play Sunday.  If true, NE would be in a good position to know he was severly handicapped last year.  I think I want to see what he can do before I write him off.   

Now, I traded him away for 3.03 in a 12 Team 1 QB league and feel good about it, so my dog left the yard. 
If they draft a Fields or Lance and want to go with Cam until they are ready I can live with that...anything else is acceptable to me with regard to Cam playing...I hear these excuses but there is a reason that two years in a row no other team wanted him and he is playing for the contracts he is...unfortunately he is done.

Bleacher Report: Patriots Trade Rumors: NE 'Fine' Waiting for Possible Jimmy Garoppolo Release

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2941849-patriots-trade-rumors-ne-fine-waiting-for-possible-jimmy-garoppolo-release

It seems to me that Plan A should be drafting a young quarterback today.

Trading for Garoppolo should be Plan B at best.
Bedard was one of the ring leaders on the radio yesterday suggesting that NE could get JG for a 4th round pick. The problem with waiting around for Garoppolo to get released is maybe he never gets released. SF could keep him. Another team could have a catastrophic injury and need a fill-in and trades for him. Or SF could wait until the day before final rosters have to be announced in September to cut him. It's one thing to be able to bluff or play chicken . . . but SF knows NE has very little going for them in the QB department right now.

I would love Mac Jones...maybe Jimmy G stays in San Fran this year...can't believe they would plan on starting Lance right away.

Pitts to Atlanta is big...setting-up for the Pats to be able to grab either Jones or Fields...I can at least pretend there is a chance it will happen for a little while longer.

Wouldn’t it be a total kick in the face if NE went out and still got Garoppolo and have him in the same situation as he expected to be in on SF?

Users who are viewing this thread