What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (2 Viewers)

I read this trade-up up for fields rumors along with detailed write ups involving the ensuing quarterback competition between cam Newton and Fields and it all just reads like such wishful thinking. I find that entire premise to be laughable. Fields would have to be on the board at the time of such a trade up to even make it feasible. If that comes to pass, then maybe the patriots could trade up to do it. But the suggestion that all it would take is a second round pick seems highly suspect considering the equity other teams have paid to move up into the top 10.
As being discussed in the SF thread, BB has likely called every team in front of NE to see what the cost would be to acquire that team's pick. The only player I think they would make a serious jump for would be Fields. But I don't see them trading three firsts to get to #4. Maybe if Fields started sliding to 7 or 8, maybe they might give up two firsts or a 1 and a 2. Or if he fell to say 11 maybe they could do a 1 and a 3 or something like that.

That being said, I think NE is much more likely to use their pick or move down a few spots to add an extra second round pick than they are to move up. Put another way, there will be other teams more likely to part with better picks than NE will be willing to offer to get into the Top 10.

I suppose there might be a way for them to trade Gilmore and another player to free up enough cap space to be able to add Garoppolo. They have likely schemed out several variations to add a QB somehow . . . so they might have Plans A through Plan M by this point.

Wouldn't it be mind blowing if they traded for Jimmy G AND drafted a QB (while sending Cam to SF in the deal for Garoppolo. I doubt that will happen (obviously), as I don't see BB wanting to roster a QB with a $25M cap hit.

Anarchy99 said:
Wouldn't it be mind blowing if they traded for Jimmy G AND drafted a QB (while sending Cam to SF in the deal for Garoppolo. I doubt that will happen (obviously), as I don't see BB wanting to roster a QB with a $25M cap hit.
I also don’t see SF having any interest in Cam Newton. 

I also don’t see SF having any interest in Cam Newton. 
SF is a run heavy offense with a good underneath passing game and a beast for a TE. CAR was a run heavy offense with a good underneath game and a top TE. Even NE raved about Cam's leadership skills. SF would gain a ton of cap space and get Newtown for low dollars to maybe start a few games and mentor a rookie QB. While I agree that it's not an ideal marriage, I think there might be a little better fit than first meets the eye. The issue in getting away from Garoppolo was having a veteran that was at least competent enough to hold down the fort for a couple months until the rookie could take over. At this point, if not Jimmy G, what other veteran could they get cheaper than Garoppolo (and with as much experience as Cam)? There aren't many guys available.

SF is a run heavy offense with a good underneath passing game and a beast for a TE. CAR was a run heavy offense with a good underneath game and a top TE. Even NE raved about Cam's leadership skills. SF would gain a ton of cap space and get Newtown for low dollars to maybe start a few games and mentor a rookie QB. While I agree that it's not an ideal marriage, I think there might be a little better fit than first meets the eye. The issue in getting away from Garoppolo was having a veteran that was at least competent enough to hold down the fort for a couple months until the rookie could take over. At this point, if not Jimmy G, what other veteran could they get cheaper than Garoppolo (and with as much experience as Cam)? There aren't many guys available.
They, like most teams, want someone that can throw. Unfortunately. 😂

MVPewton, sure. 

busted down noodle arm FigNewton? Hard pass. 

ETA: wait, he can’t pass hard. Sorry, poorly phrased. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as Cam goes, there are plenty of football people insisting that Cam had a combination of no practice time, no weapons, no time to learn the playbook, and COVID that made him way worse than he really is. I certainly am not one of those people and saw him throwing short hops to his receivers all season. But there are plenty of folks saying he will bounce back this year (pun intended) and will return to being productive. I think they are cray cray, but they're out there.

Question for the gallery . . . if NE traded down a few picks to add a 2nd round pick and

1) took a CB in the first (Horn or Farley?)
2) traded Gilmore and a 4th for Garoppolo
3) took a S in the second (Moehrig?)
4) took a WR in the second (Bateman? Toney? Moore?)
5) took one of the leftover second tier QB in the 3rd (Mills? Trask? Mond? if any of those guys were still on the board)

Would that be enough to get you excited about NE's current and future prospects?

Question for the gallery . . . if NE traded down a few picks to add a 2nd round pick and

5) took one of the leftover second tier QB in the 3rd (Mills? Trask? Mond? if any of those guys were still on the board)

Would that be enough to get you excited about NE's current and future prospects?
If they end up with Jimmy G and Trask along with those guys I would be ecstatic...

If they end up with Jimmy G and Trask along with those guys I would be ecstatic...
If there is a consensus of people I listen to / read / follow it's that NE is far more likely to trade back than move up, much more likely to take a defensive player over an offensive player in Round 1, and more likely to have Jimmy G than one of the Big 5 QBs rostered in 2021. In fact, some people / places have said they might even take a defender over one of the QBs if one of them fell to 15 (unless it was Fields). (The logic being that they probably don't have Lance or Jones rated as first round picks.)

The other interesting tidbit I heard is that this draft only 1/3 of the number of players are available than normal as hardly any underclassman are coming out. I don't know if that means much, as 650 players still declared for the draft vs. the 2,000 that normally do. But the talking heads made it sound like there aren't a ton of blue chippers this year and guys will be going in the first that carry second round grades, there are a ton of guys that are quality mid-round picks, and the last part of the draft will likely be a barren wasteland of guys that really should be UDFAs.

By comparison, next year's draft will end up being much deeper (although probably not at QB) because there will be way more options to pick from. So they suggested savvy teams will try to offload picks from this year into next year.

NE doesn't have a lot of roster spots, so they may be looking to move some of their picks from this year to next year. Just something to keep an eye on.

If there is a consensus of people I listen to / read / follow it's that NE is far more likely to trade back than move up, much more likely to take a defensive player over an offensive player in Round 1, and more likely to have Jimmy G than one of the Big 5 QBs rostered in 2021. In fact, some people / places have said they might even take a defender over one of the QBs if one of them fell to 15 (unless it was Fields). (The logic being that they probably don't have Lance or Jones rated as first round picks.)

The other interesting tidbit I heard is that this draft only 1/3 of the number of players are available than normal as hardly any underclassman are coming out. I don't know if that means much, as 650 players still declared for the draft vs. the 2,000 that normally do. But the talking heads made it sound like there aren't a ton of blue chippers this year and guys will be going in the first that carry second round grades, there are a ton of guys that are quality mid-round picks, and the last part of the draft will likely be a barren wasteland of guys that really should be UDFAs.

By comparison, next year's draft will end up being much deeper (although probably not at QB) because there will be way more options to pick from. So they suggested savvy teams will try to offload picks from this year into next year.

NE doesn't have a lot of roster spots, so they may be looking to move some of their picks from this year to next year. Just something to keep an eye on.
The way they have been drafting they should trade every pick for a veteran...

In all seriousness, if one of those QBs are there at 15 and they pass I will be furious...they have had a great offseason but if they don’t upgrade at QB it is all for naught and you are right back in the same spot next year...I refuse to believe that debatable the greatest football mind of all time could watch Cam last year and think he is the answer...I just don’t buy it...overall, I love the gossip but if BB has shown us one thing over the past 20 years it is you never know what he will do...this spending frenzy is the most recent example...I will hope for the best this weekend but prepare for anything.

I would be happy with that. I also would be happy they trade up and get one of the top rookie qbs even if it costs a 2nd this year.

What wouldn’t make me feel good is to trade down without acquirring JimmyG and then select a bunch of defense and o line picks and take a non-premium QBs pick that is going to sit this year and have Newman start all season. 

I would like either JimmyG to start, or a rookie that either wins starter outright or keeps a short leash on Newman by nipping at his heels. 

It was a bit painful to see some of the stinker games from Newman and they had no faith in letting Stidham take over. Very depresssing looking back on it.

I also heard they have done the same thing with DET at 7. This ties in to what we were discussing yesterday. I am sure NE has done their due diligence and contacted what it would take to move up to all spots available to them from #4 to #14.

I have observed from others that they are unlikely to move up higher than Pick 7 as the cost would be prohibitive. From what I could tell, the only QB they really covet is Fields and if he fell to 7 he would definitely be a consideration. The other interesting thing I've heard is they might be willing to move up to 10 or 11 for a DEFENSIVE player if the guy they want falls that far.

Boston (the poster) may be ready to kill someone if NE has a chance to take Lance or Jones and opts not to (again, rumors are that NE doesn't have them rated as first round picks and they won't overpay to either move up to take them or potentially would pass on them if they fell to 15. How mad would people be if they traded out of 15 to let ANOTHER TEAM draft a QB there. There would be chaos in the streets.

As far as Cam goes, there are plenty of football people insisting that Cam had a combination of no practice time, no weapons, no time to learn the playbook, and COVID that made him way worse than he really is. I certainly am not one of those people and saw him throwing short hops to his receivers all season. But there are plenty of folks saying he will bounce back this year (pun intended) and will return to being productive. I think they are cray cray, but they're out there.
I'm in.  Bounceback coming.

Unless Fields drops to 7, which I doubt.

I also heard they have done the same thing with DET at 7. This ties in to what we were discussing yesterday. I am sure NE has done their due diligence and contacted what it would take to move up to all spots available to them from #4 to #14.

I have observed from others that they are unlikely to move up higher than Pick 7 as the cost would be prohibitive. From what I could tell, the only QB they really covet is Fields and if he fell to 7 he would definitely be a consideration. The other interesting thing I've heard is they might be willing to move up to 10 or 11 for a DEFENSIVE player if the guy they want falls that far.

Boston (the poster) may be ready to kill someone if NE has a chance to take Lance or Jones and opts not to (again, rumors are that NE doesn't have them rated as first round picks and they won't overpay to either move up to take them or potentially would pass on them if they fell to 15. How mad would people be if they traded out of 15 to let ANOTHER TEAM draft a QB there. There would be chaos in the streets.
I’d be with Boston ready to do some damage if they trade up for a d player or simply pass on QBs. Maybe not kill someone but at the very least we could find a little car to flip over. A vw beetle or a Mini Cooper at least. 

May be old news, but

Wow. In the first round of the 2006 draft MJD on NFL Network just said he got a call from the Patriots and was told their pick was between him and DeAngelo Williams. They chose Laurence Maroney

May be old news, but

Wow. In the first round of the 2006 draft MJD on NFL Network just said he got a call from the Patriots and was told their pick was between him and DeAngelo Williams. They chose Laurence Maroney
Yeah, not exactly one of BB's better moments. They went with Maroney and WR Chad Jackson at picks 21 and 36. Which means they passed on MJD, Williams, and Joseph Addai at RB and Brandon Marshall, Marques Colston, Greg Jennings, and Santonio Holmes at WR that draft (some of those players they passed over multiple times).

The news of the day is that apparently Garoppolo returning to NE is looking more and more likely with each passing hour. Schefter was on the radio this morning and said the only team with any interest at all in JG is NE. They are bidding against no one. The discussion settled on a 4th round pick would be all that was required to bring him in. Curran's opinion at this point is that Garoppolo coming to NE is inevitable.

I have no idea if that is Plan A or a contingency Plan B based on whether they can come away with one of the primary rookie QBs or not. But the mood for Boston radio was definitely more upbeat that NE would at least have another QB option on the team. Later conversations made it seem like they probably would not look at a QB at all in terms of second tier options. Overall, they sounded pretty confident that this was a thing and not just guesswork.

The news of the day is that apparently Garoppolo returning to NE is looking more and more likely with each passing hour. Schefter was on the radio this morning and said the only team with any interest at all in JG is NE. They are bidding against no one. The discussion settled on a 4th round pick would be all that was required to bring him in. Curran's opinion at this point is that Garoppolo coming to NE is inevitable.

I have no idea if that is Plan A or a contingency Plan B based on whether they can come away with one of the primary rookie QBs or not. But the mood for Boston radio was definitely more upbeat that NE would at least have another QB option on the team. Later conversations made it seem like they probably would not look at a QB at all in terms of second tier options. Overall, they sounded pretty confident that this was a thing and not just guesswork.
The waiting game is paying off.

Jimmy G could fall in their lap. SF dreaming if they think they can get much for him.

And Bridgewater traded to Denver. No way they take a QB at #9 now.

Could envision a scenario where one of Fields or Lance is sliding while they are also on the phone with SF about Jimmy G.

The waiting game is paying off.

Jimmy G could fall in their lap. SF dreaming if they think they can get much for him.

And Bridgewater traded to Denver. No way they take a QB at #9 now.

Could envision a scenario where one of Fields or Lance is sliding while they are also on the phone with SF about Jimmy G.
Does Carolina enter the QBs draft market now at 8?

Does Carolina enter the QBs draft market now at 8?
Latest rumors has them trying to trade down.

But who knows. A lot of smoke and mirrors right now.

If ATL passes on a QB there's a halfway decent chance two QBs slide a bit. 

7. DET -- This team is a trainwreck. A lot of needs to fill. Should trade down.

8. CAR -- Rumored to be interested in trading down.

9. DEN -- Just traded for Bridgewater.

10. DAL -- Should go D unless they are braindead.

11. NYG -- Lineman or trade down.

12. PHI -- Are they really going to draft a QB after ditching Wentz and giving the ball to Hurts?

13. LAC -- No.

14. MN -- COULD be a problem.

NE could be sitting pretty here unless Bill feels CHI or WASH is trying to move up.

I know every team with a need at QB is likely thinking the same, but this is the year to get a deal done that allows NE to draft a rookie QB. Jimmy is ok, not great, oft-injured, and seems way overpaid. Get him on the cheap (4th round pick) if you can, but secure a long term answer, as well. Personally, I'd rather see Cam + Rookie since it eliminates any real QB competition drama. Let Cam roll for 2021 while properly seasoning a QBotF.

Latest rumors has them trying to trade down.

But who knows. A lot of smoke and mirrors right now.

If ATL passes on a QB there's a halfway decent chance two QBs slide a bit. 

7. DET -- This team is a trainwreck. A lot of needs to fill. Should trade down.

8. CAR -- Rumored to be interested in trading down.

9. DEN -- Just traded for Bridgewater.

10. DAL -- Should go D unless they are braindead.

11. NYG -- Lineman or trade down.

12. PHI -- Are they really going to draft a QB after ditching Wentz and giving the ball to Hurts?

13. LAC -- No.

14. MN -- COULD be a problem.

NE could be sitting pretty here unless Bill feels CHI or WASH is trying to move up.
My 2 cents or in other words "You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!"

I think Carolina is and always was in play for a QB so getting rid of Teddy doesn't really change things imho.

Not a Jimmy G fan (never was) and not in favor of bringing him back unless it is a cheap deal pick & money wise.

Am I the only one who thinks a trade with Miami would be the most likely one to happen? If Justin Fields is there I think it could very well happen and I would be thrilled. Would be quite happy (happier?) to see them get Mac Jones as well but he will likely be long gone.

My 2 cents or in other words "You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind!"

I think Carolina is and always was in play for a QB so getting rid of Teddy doesn't really change things imho.

Not a Jimmy G fan (never was) and not in favor of bringing him back unless it is a cheap deal pick & money wise.

Am I the only one who thinks a trade with Miami would be the most likely one to happen? If Justin Fields is there I think it could very well happen and would be thrilled. Would be quite happy (happier?) to see them get Mac Jones but he will likely be long gone.
Division rivals rarely trade with each other. If Fields' draft stock is falling, NE might not have to move up as high as originally expected.

Currently listening to what I hope never happens which is a discussion of NE swapping picks with GB (15 down to 29) and adding the Packers second round pick. In turn, NE would draft Davis Mills with the #29 pick. Yuck.

Division rivals rarely trade with each other. If Fields' draft stock is falling, NE might not have to move up as high as originally expected.

Currently listening to what I hope never happens which is a discussion of NE swapping picks with GB (15 down to 29) and adding the Packers second round pick. In turn, NE would draft Davis Mills with the #29 pick. Yuck.
True about the div rivals not trading, but its not a player leaving 1 team and going to the other and I am thinking Flores and BB have a pretty friendly relationship. Fields may be falling but I don't think he gets by Den and Car might take him as well. We shall see.

Yeah, don't think I would be loving that move either but really don't know too much about the guy.

They compare him to Stidham, interestingly enough. Here is a draft profile... https://www.nfl.com/prospects/davis-mills/32004d49-4c67-8397-4c7b-81c6636ba80e
This brings us full circle to discussions we had in here months ago, where the non Top 5 QB options were all rated very similar to Stidham. As theorized then, why invest a higher draft asset to bring in a new guy that in 2 years would be where Stidham is now . . . still a project on a career track to be a career backup or out of the league soon. IMO, taking Mills in the first round would be a terrible decision. 

Here are the final rankings from McShay / Kiper / NFL.com

Mills - 63, 82, 112
Trask - 65, 104 , 94
Mond - 67, 119, 121

IMO, taking any of those guys in the first or second seems like a wasted pick (Stidham revisited).

Mills seems like a NE type of pick.  What way is GB looking to go by trading up?

Think BB wants another pick in the 35 to 70 range 
This is a constant narrative right now and to be honest I pray to God it is not influencing what they do...they have missed so many picks the past few years this is not something they should be worrying about.

Even with the news that NE is likely to end up with JG, the Pats are now the Vegas favorite to end up with Fields.
As long as it is one of them I will be relieved...would be ecstatic for Fields but will be content with Jimmy G...ABC...anyone but Cam! 

Even with the news that NE is likely to end up with JG, the Pats are now the Vegas favorite to end up with Fields.
I refuse to believe the Pats have a shot at Fields...would rather not get my hopes up.

add Jimmy G for a 4th and some salary relief and let Stidham move on.  Keep Cam as injury insurance.

Whoseyourmomma?  Championship!  #excesspredraftexhuberance.

This brings us full circle to discussions we had in here months ago, where the non Top 5 QB options were all rated very similar to Stidham. As theorized then, why invest a higher draft asset to bring in a new guy that in 2 years would be where Stidham is now . . . still a project on a career track to be a career backup or out of the league soon. IMO, taking Mills in the first round would be a terrible decision. 

Here are the final rankings from McShay / Kiper / NFL.com

Mills - 63, 82, 112
Trask - 65, 104 , 94
Mond - 67, 119, 121

IMO, taking any of those guys in the first or second seems like a wasted pick (Stidham revisited).
Totally agree. Will be disturbed if they settle for a QB in this tier.

Many experts were saying all kinds of wonderful things about Stidham after he was drafted by NE. Arm talent...can spin the ball as well as anyone drafted...blah blah blah. Then Covid hit...who knows how the kid reacted...total disaster. Who knows...with a more legit offseason Stidham could progress/develop.

Also seems like local reporters are pumping Stidham up lately. Right or wrong.

Get Fields or Jimmy G, but for the love of god don't go after one of these other guys. Could end up being just another Stidham.

As crazy at it seems, several media talking heads today suggested Cam could be part of the JG trade (which people laughed at when I threw that out last week).

Lots of chatter about potentially being in position to get JG and still draft Fields. The logic was ATL, CIN, and MIA would use their picks on non-QBs. Then DET, CAR, DEN would also pass on QBs. Then they move up to 10. I’m not convinced no QB will be picked from 4-10, but they said it’s possible. 

From the exhaustive research I have done, it appears NE would be in the mix for Fields at 7 and probably Lance at 10. If they ended up with one of those two, added JG, and moved Cam to SF I think there would be a bunch of drunk people in Beantown on Friday. 

As crazy at it seems, several media talking heads today suggested Cam could be part of the JG trade (which people laughed at when I threw that out last week).

Lots of chatter about potentially being in position to get JG and still draft Fields. The logic was ATL, CIN, and MIA would use their picks on non-QBs. Then DET, CAR, DEN would also pass on QBs. Then they move up to 10. I’m not convinced no QB will be picked from 4-10, but they said it’s possible. 

From the exhaustive research I have done, it appears NE would be in the mix for Fields at 7 and probably Lance at 10. If they ended up with one of those two, added JG, and moved Cam to SF I think there would be a bunch of drunk people in Beantown on Friday. 
There is a lot of drunk people in bean town every Friday. 🙂

In the mock draft they did just now on espn, they had each team reporter make the pick for their respective team. Fields fell to Patriots at 15. It seems crazy. Maybe he is falling due to medical condition. But that doesn’t seem like much of a concern. 

WEEI's Dale Arnold is reporting that the Patriots are already negotiating a deal with Jimmy G. For those of you not from New England Dale is a very credible voice on the New England sports scene who was the first to report Tom Brady to Tampa. He says it's not a done deal, but things are looking good...Here's his Tweet

Dale Arnold

@DaleEArnold

What I’ve been told, by a reliable source —-@Patriots are working on a new contract for Jimmy G that could lead to a deal with @49ers. Same source who correctly told me Tom Brady had signed with @Buccaneers. Doesn’t mean it will get done, but they’re working on it.

WEEI's Dale Arnold is reporting that the Patriots are already negotiating a deal with Jimmy G. For those of you not from New England Dale is a very credible voice on the New England sports scene who was the first to report Tom Brady to Tampa. He says it's not a done deal, but things are looking good...Here's his Tweet

Dale Arnold

@DaleEArnold

What I’ve been told, by a reliable source —-@Patriots are working on a new contract for Jimmy G that could lead to a deal with @49ers. Same source who correctly told me Tom Brady had signed with @Buccaneers. Doesn’t mean it will get done, but they’re working on it.
This is so 36 minutes ago. 

Imagine if this does happen now what does New England do at pick 15 assuming they don’t trade down? Some good corners and tackles would be there. 

Users who are viewing this thread