What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indy passing offense vs Denver Wk 4 (1 Viewer)

Buck Bradcanon

Footballguy
I know the golden rule is start your studs. Indy has been very content to run the ball if thats what is there, esp in near the goalline.

Denver is giving up 156 yards on the ground and negative 15 through the air (OK maybe its like in the low 60s). Indy has a slight history of carving up the Broncos at home, but i am giving serious consideration to benching Harrison this week. And it still seems virtually unthinkable.

Strength against strength.. anybody sitting Peyton? Harrison? Wayne?

Oh my how we forget? Anybody remember what Wayne did to the Broncos last year? I think it was something to the tune of 10 catches 120+ yards and 3 TDs. Either one of these guys has the potential to blow up against ANYBODY. The INDY WRs are studs, so there is not reason to bench any of them.

Should be one of the more fascinating matchups of the season, IMO. The best QB-WR-WR against the best CB-CB combo in the league. Bly has been a great addition, and the Denver pass rush has looked better this year, too. I don't expect Indy to have a good game, but Manning and one of the WRs will still probably reach the end zone once. Temper your expectations, but unless you've got great WRs or a great QB2 and they have a great matchup, I think you have to leave in all three Colts.

Big winner, of course, looks to be Addai. But it's a funny game and you never know.

Oh my how we forget? Anybody remember what Wayne did to the Broncos last year? I think it was something to the tune of 10 catches 120+ yards and 3 TDs. Either one of these guys has the potential to blow up against ANYBODY. The INDY WRs are studs, so there is not reason to bench any of them.
The Broncos didn't have Dre Bly last year. Or Jarvis Moss. This is a much improved Denver secondary.

Manning and the offensive coordinators are excellent at probing defenses and attacking weaknesses. I'm thinking we will see an increase in targets for Addai, Gonzalez, Clark, plus the other TEs, and a decrease in targets for Wayne and Harrison (especially Harrison).

I don't care who is playing defense, if Manning is able to stay upright, he will find an open target and get them the ball. Not even Denver can shut down all of Indy's weapons.

Should be one of the more fascinating matchups of the season, IMO. The best QB-WR-WR against the best CB-CB combo in the league. Bly has been a great addition, and the Denver pass rush has looked better this year, too. I don't expect Indy to have a good game, but Manning and one of the WRs will still probably reach the end zone once. Temper your expectations, but unless you've got great WRs or a great QB2 and they have a great matchup, I think you have to leave in all three Colts.

Big winner, of course, looks to be Addai. But it's a funny game and you never know.
Too true. But never, ever, bench Manning, Wayne or Harrison, especially at home.

Manning and the offensive coordinators are excellent at probing defenses and attacking weaknesses. I'm thinking we will see an increase in targets for Addai, Gonzalez, Clark, plus the other TEs, and a decrease in targets for Wayne and Harrison (especially Harrison).I don't care who is playing defense, if Manning is able to stay upright, he will find an open target and get them the ball. Not even Denver can shut down all of Indy's weapons.
this is the closest to what i think winds up happening. Addai, Clark, and Manning all should do well, but i see 4 for 50 type days out of Harrison and Wayne. I expected the "always start your studs" knee jerk comments, but consider that Wayne and Harrison havent found the endzone for the last 2 weeks against the likes of Tenn and Houston.I am not saying its an automatic benching, but to immediately dismiss the idea is follish IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Broncos didn't have Dre Bly last year. Or Jarvis Moss. This is a much improved Denver secondary.
This is the first thing I thought of. What did Marvin do in that game? Nothing because Champ crawled up inside his uniform all day. Wayne got the 2nd CB. This year he will probably get Bly AND Moss while Champ covers HArrison. Seeing as my only other option is Schaub, I'm stuck with this matchup and don't like it much at all. Look for Addai and Clark to have MONSTER games as all the deep stuff will be covered. Gonzalez might actually get a few passes. Manning will get maybe 200 and a TD. Unless the secondary makes a mistake or someone falls down, don't expect big numbers from Wayne or Harrison.

Should be Mannings best game. Denver has no answer for him. Ill say 300 Yards and 3-4 tds

I like Wayne in this game and Gonzo

This is the first thing I thought of. What did Marvin do in that game? Nothing because Champ crawled up inside his uniform all day. Wayne got the 2nd CB. This year he will probably get Bly AND Moss while Champ covers HArrison. Seeing as my only other option is Schaub, I'm stuck with this matchup and don't like it much at all. Look for Addai and Clark to have MONSTER games as all the deep stuff will be covered. Gonzalez might actually get a few passes. Manning will get maybe 200 and a TD. Unless the secondary makes a mistake or someone falls down, don't expect big numbers from Wayne or Harrison.
I dont like Clark in this game. Denver has been #1 vs the TE position for years..

Yeah Im looking for big things from Manning, no way would you sit him for this game, it will be the feature game of the week and he will want to shine for the nation. Im a Manning owner and I hope both the Colts and Pats and Steelers continue to roll so they dont bench him in weeks 15 and 16 like in the past.

Total overanalysis if you sit any of the Colts' skill players. You never know how it's going to turn out.

Start them as Denver can't rush the passer or defend against the run.

Plus Foxworth, Abdullah, and now probably Lynch will be out.

I dont like Clark in this game. Denver has been #1 vs the TE position for years..
If Denver has a D weekness it is the LB corp. Not as good as when they had Wilson. D.J. Williams is still learning the MLB position a bit. I think Manning may target Clark and the slot reciever.I am looking for Dumervile(sp) and company to put some presure on Manning now that he has a new LT.

i'd love to see who you guys are playing if your benching Wayne, MArvin or Peyton.
I could bench Marvin. I would then just have to decide between Lee Evans (bust), Hines Ward (knee), Jacoby Jones (shoulder), and Greg Jennings (just reactivated). Good times. :lmao:

Inadequate Denver pass rush will allow manning sufficient time to make Champ Bailey look pedestrian.

D.J. william is lost in the middle of that defense and Lynch is hurt. I look for Dallas Clark to do well in th emiddle of the field.

If Denver has a D weekness it is the LB corp. Not as good as when they had Wilson. D.J. Williams is still learning the MLB position a bit. I think Manning may target Clark and the slot reciever.I am looking for Dumervile(sp) and company to put some presure on Manning now that he has a new LT.
What he said. Jags TE's were open all day long against Gold and Webster. Granted Gold wasn't 100%, but still he played like crap.

Denver shut down the passing games of BUF, OAK, and JAX. Oh boy! Time to bench all of your studs.
:P
ok im not ready to let this go yet. if we are going to talk about how weak the teams are that Denver has shut down, we should also talk about what the Colts have done the last few weeks. They scored 22 and 30 points against Tenn and Hou respectively. In those 2 games, neither Harrison or Wayne scored a TD or went over 100 yards. And now they draw the Denver secondary. I think there are some middle of the road receivers that make better FF plays this week. And yes i am sure someone will be so cool as to bump this thread if one or both of them go off.and yes Wayne did have 3 TDs in Denver last year. Harrison was 5 for 38

Denver shut down the passing games of BUF, OAK, and JAX. Oh boy! Time to bench all of your studs.
;)
ok im not ready to let this go yet. if we are going to talk about how weak the teams are that Denver has shut down, we should also talk about what the Colts have done the last few weeks. They scored 22 and 30 points against Tenn and Hou respectively. In those 2 games, neither Harrison or Wayne scored a TD or went over 100 yards. And now they draw the Denver secondary. I think there are some middle of the road receivers that make better FF plays this week. And yes i am sure someone will be so cool as to bump this thread if one or both of them go off.and yes Wayne did have 3 TDs in Denver last year. Harrison was 5 for 38
And it's worth noting that Hou and Ten were projected to have awful pass defenses.

I will probably bench Harrison in favor of Peterson or L.Jordan (flex spot). I just think it will be a low scoring game. If the Texans defense and running game can grind enough clock to keep the Indy combo at bay (from a FF perspective) then I think the Bronco defense abd running game may be able to do the same.

To me, this has the look of a big game out of Manning. He'll embrace the challenge of a good D and want to impress after putting up two (for him) so-so weeks. Having just traded away my WR3 in a must-start 3 WR league (Edwards), and some guys who are boom-or-bust types as potential replacements, I'm thinking of going with A Gonzalez. I have Wayne also, and I wouldn't be surprised if he sees more of Bailey after how much he beat up on them last year. No way I'm ever benching him though, so I'll hope Harrison to draw Bailey and production out of both guys, or at the worst, Gonzalez to pick up Wayne's slack if he has a tough time getting started.

As a Colts homer, I follow this closely. I called Wayne's performance last year. While I don't expect the same, he will be a good start this week. I anticipate Gonzo, Clark, Addai, and Wayne to have nice games. I'd sit Harrison, unless the Colts move him around in the offense, I think he WILL get shut down by Bailey.

$0.02

Wayne got the 2nd CB. This year he will probably get Bly AND Moss while Champ covers HArrison.
I really really hope as a Bronco fan that our rookie defensive lineman doesn't help Bly cover Wayne. He should be trying to rush Peyton instead.As far as which WR gets covered by Champ, it will be Marvin with out a doubt. Champ usually plays a certain side of the field, not a certain WR. Marvin plays a vast majority of his plays on a certain side of the field as well. Marvin's side of the field happens to be the same side Champ usually plays. Champ will slow down Marvin somewhat, but I don't think you can even think about benching Marvin in fantasy. Marvin will do better than last year and Wayne won't do as well as last year. This is simply because Dre Bly is a better corner than the late Darrent Williams (RIP)! Part of the reason for Marvin's low numbers last year is because Wayne was getting open faster than Marvin so Peyton threw to him more. With better coverage on Wayne, I think the numbers will be more equal between the two.I'm a Broncos homer telling you to not bench any Indy offensive players.

Never ever would I consider benching manning if hes on my team. Manning is the type of guy who will throw 4 tds on the broncos just because everyone thinks there secondary is so good. If you got Manning,Harrison, or Wayne you start them. You drafted thgem high for a reason. Denver does have a great secondary. They also have BARELY squeaked by some very bad teams. Start your Colts and dont worry about it!

Manning is an absolute must start - no matter what.

That being said, Denver has been atrocious against the run. So it stands to reason that they will pound pound pound with Addai, then look for shots with play action when. But the Colts would be fools to come out in a pass first mentality. Denver knows everyone wants to run on them - and they still can't stop it.

I really can't believe all the love Dre Bly is getting. I am a Lions homer and frankly, I'm glad he's out of here. Ask other Lions Fans... Dre is a great talker, and a decent hitter/tackler, but he's not a good cover corner. If you have Peyton, Harrison, or Wayne you start them every week.

A better subtitle to the thread would be "downgrade....?" instead of "bench....?"

Barring having 3 other top 10 WRs on your roster, I don't kow how anyone could bench Wayne or Harrison. And unless you have Brady or Palmer on your bench, how could anyone bench Manning? I like it when guys I'm playing against overthink things and bench Marvin Harrison for Vincent Jackson!

Manning is an absolute must start - no matter what.That being said, Denver has been atrocious against the run. So it stands to reason that they will pound pound pound with Addai, then look for shots with play action when. But the Colts would be fools to come out in a pass first mentality. Denver knows everyone wants to run on them - and they still can't stop it.
best post of the thread . . . why force the pass when you can run it all day long??

Chase Stuart said:
djcolts said:
Chase Stuart said:
Harrison got hurt and Wayne was shut down. Broncos held Manning under 200 -- I think their pass D is legit.
Manning was "held" to under 200 because he was smart enough to call runs all day.
For fantasy purposes, though, I think you're going to want to bench your QBs against Denver.
For fantasy purposes Manning had a great day. Funny how passing for 3 TDs and rushing for another can overshadow yardage. Either way, Manning carved up the Den D again. This time he did it w/o 1 Harrison too. 20/27 for 193, 3 TDs and 0 INTs along with a rushing TD. That is a dominating performance in both real life and fantasy.

Chase Stuart said:
djcolts said:
Chase Stuart said:
Harrison got hurt and Wayne was shut down. Broncos held Manning under 200 -- I think their pass D is legit.
Manning was "held" to under 200 because he was smart enough to call runs all day.
For fantasy purposes, though, I think you're going to want to bench your QBs against Denver.
For fantasy purposes Manning had a great day. Funny how passing for 3 TDs and rushing for another can overshadow yardage. Either way, Manning carved up the Den D again. This time he did it w/o 1 Harrison too. 20/27 for 193, 3 TDs and 0 INTs along with a rushing TD. That is a dominating performance in both real life and fantasy.
I have wayne and manning and dallas clark. I am quite happy that I started them all against Denver. I wish I could start them all against Denver next week as well.

Chase Stuart said:
djcolts said:
Chase Stuart said:
And i will take that day out of reggie wayne....all day long. PPR league and a TD. Nice

Chase Stuart said:
djcolts said:
Chase Stuart said:
Ya, but Manning is one the very few in the league that is capable of that. How about bench your QB, other than Manning, against the Denver D?

Chase Stuart said:
djcolts said:
Chase Stuart said:
Ya, but Manning is one the very few in the league that is capable of that. How about bench your QB, other than Manning, against the Denver D?
I can think of far more QBs I would be more than happy to start than just Manning.BradyPalmerRomoKitnaFavreBig Ben

Chase Stuart said:
djcolts said:
Chase Stuart said:
I can think of far more QBs I would be more than happy to start than just Manning.BradyPalmerRomoKitnaFavreBig Ben
We'll see about Favre and Big Ben since they both face the Denver D in a couple weeks. I'd expect a 160 yard day from Roth and 200 and a touch from Favre.

:ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread