What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Inflation...what's the shark move? (1 Viewer)

pecorino

Footballguy
most of the experts i read predict an impending inflationary period that must follow our massive spending and printing of money. it could be 5 years, maybe 20. the question is: if we know it's coming, what are some of the better plays to hedge against it? gold, foreign currencies, inflation-linked bonds? what do the FBG experts say?

Question: Shouldn't this be considered inflation - paying the same for less? BTW, It appears to be rampant among manufacturers. My personal favorite is keeping the peanut butter jar the same size, but hollowing out the bottom.

http://www.today.com/news/supermarket-shrinkage-its-not-your-imagination-experts-say-2D79677603

Examples:

On ABC News’ trip to the supermarket, 14 products were found that had recently gotten smaller. Here were some of the changes:

• Kashi cereal had shrunk, with a slightly taller box actually containing less cereal.
  • Boxes of Scott Tissues contained 12 less tissues.
  • There were 48 fewer chocolate chips in Ghirardelli chocolate chips.
  • Planters Deluxe Mixed Nuts contained 52 fewer nuts than it had previously.
  • A can of Maxwell House Coffee used to have enough coffee for 270 cups, now it will make only 240. The one thing that didn’t change was the price, it still costs $9.59.
  • Pillsbury Cake mixes were reduced by three ounces. When made as instructed on the package, the old mix made 24 cupcakes; the new one, which costs the same, barely makes 21.
  • Brawny paper towels new roll had four and a half feet fewer paper towels than one of its older rolls. And again, the price remained the same.
It appears that inflation is being masked by this process. Am I wrong?

most of the experts i read predict an impending inflationary period that must follow our massive spending and printing of money.
Why would you trust people who've been wrong for 5 years?

It's not true that inflation has to follow. And even if it does tick up, the fed is so hypersensitive about it they'll keep it in check.

SCHB - Schwab U.S. Treasury Inflation Protected Security (TIPS) ETF. 0.07% expense ratio.

VTIP - Vanguard Short Term TIPS ETF. 0.10% expense ratio.

Pick one - pound with money, let pros manage for next to nothing.

Repeat.

Get inflation protection.

lod01 said:
Question: Shouldn't this be considered inflation - paying the same for less? BTW, It appears to be rampant among manufacturers. My personal favorite is keeping the peanut butter jar the same size, but hollowing out the bottom.

http://www.today.com/news/supermarket-shrinkage-its-not-your-imagination-experts-say-2D79677603

Examples:

On ABC News’ trip to the supermarket, 14 products were found that had recently gotten smaller. Here were some of the changes:

• Kashi cereal had shrunk, with a slightly taller box actually containing less cereal.
  • A can of Maxwell House Coffee used to have enough coffee for 270 cups, now it will make only 240. The one thing that didn’t change was the price, it still costs $9.59.
  • Pillsbury Cake mixes were reduced by three ounces. When made as instructed on the package, the old mix made 24 cupcakes; the new one, which costs the same, barely makes 21.
  • Brawny paper towels new roll had four and a half feet fewer paper towels than one of its older rolls. And again, the price remained the same.
I looked at my can of pizza flavored Pringles and noticed there were only 5.96 ounces in it. Would it have killed them to add one chip to bring it up to a full 6 ounces?

most of the experts i read predict an impending inflationary period that must follow our massive spending and printing of money. it could be 5 years, maybe 20. the question is: if we know it's coming, what are some of the better plays to hedge against it? gold, foreign currencies, inflation-linked bonds? what do the FBG experts say?
If you put so much stock in the experts to predict inflation increase, why not see what they think are good plays?

If you put so much stock in the experts to predict inflation increase, why not see what they think are good plays?
Or just buy what China is buying.

lod01 said:

Examples:

I looked at my can of pizza flavored Pringles and noticed there were only 5.96 ounces in it. Would it have killed them to add one chip to bring it up to a full 6 ounces?
I feel the same way when I open a big bag of Lay's Potato Chips, and it's half gone before I even reach in. Bag should have a "Warning - Hyperinflation Inside!" label on the outside.

:kicksrock:

Users who are viewing this thread