What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting RB situations to monitor closely. (1 Viewer)

Chaos

Footballguy
In no particular order

NE RB: Dillon is the current starter but injuries and age may have caught up with him. My gut tells me that when he falls off it will be steeply and it could be this year. I don't think the next NE RB is on the roster at the moment so look for NE to grab a rookie this year fairly high. If they make it through this season with no additions, Michael Turner is a name to watch as he is UFA I believe.

DEN RB: Dayne is penciled in as the starter I guess. Bell will get limited carries to maximize his effectiveness. DEN has been linked to all kinds of FA acquisitions leading up to the draft, none have come to fruition. Den could take a back with the 15 or 22 pick and it wouldn't surprise me. Maroney and Calhoun seem like good fits in their system but Shanny sure can surprise people lately. Whomever gets the job will definitely get fantasy points.

CLE RB: Droughns is the starter and workhorse. He just signed a 3 year deal but something tells me that he is not the longterm answer. Cleveland is upgrading bigtime and RB could be another area. L White is a possibility at 12 and could be groomed to take over for Reuben. Addai in the 2nd if he is there is another more likely scenario. This team could produce surprise fantasy points this year maybe and next year most likely.

PIT RB: FWP has the main spot with Duce and Verron picking up the slack. Many rumors are flying about them grabbing someone else but I just have a feeling that they stay put.

SEA RB: SA is the starter and stud. Morris is probably gone so they may be looking at a backup this year. If the guy is any good at all he gets the nod for big points if SA goes down. Fantasy backup alert.

SD RB: LT is starter and stud but M Turner is UFA next season and may get a chance to jump ship and start. Sproles is not the backup IMO, so look for SD to get their next backup as well.

KC RB: LJ is the starter and.. oh just look above. Fantasy Backup alert.

GB RB: A Green is the starter but I believe he only signed a one year deal. This does not make me feel good about his long term prospects especially when added to the injury history. Gado had season ending knee surgery after looking very promising indeed. Does GB sit on Gado and hope the magic continues on surgically repaired knee? Keep a look on this one.

CAR RB: Foster is the injury plagued starter and the team did not think highly of rookie backup Eric Shelton last year. The Panthers are a legit playoff team with a run first attitude so this could turn to fantasy gold for the owner smart enough to grab whomever they draft this season assuming Shelton doesn't turn it around.

NO RB: Deuce is the starter and Micheal Bennett is in the wings. If Deuce comes back close to 100% not to worry. If he doesn't... NO could be looking RB early in the draft. I don't like this team but you never know.

This is what I could rattle off. I anyone has something or some team to add, please do.

In no particular order

NE RB: Dillon is the current starter but injuries and age may have caught up with him. My gut tells me that when he falls off it will be steeply and it could be this year. I don't think the next NE RB is on the roster at the moment so look for NE to grab a rookie this year fairly high. If they make it through this season with no additions, Michael Turner is a name to watch as he is UFA I believe.

DEN RB: Dayne is penciled in as the starter I guess. Bell will get limited carries to maximize his effectiveness. DEN has been linked to all kinds of FA acquisitions leading up to the draft, none have come to fruition. Den could take a back with the 15 or 22 pick and it wouldn't surprise me. Maroney and Calhoun seem like good fits in their system but Shanny sure can surprise people lately. Whomever gets the job will definitely get fantasy points.

CLE RB: Droughns is the starter and workhorse. He just signed a 3 year deal but something tells me that he is not the longterm answer. Cleveland is upgrading bigtime and RB could be another area. L White is a possibility at 12 and could be groomed to take over for Reuben. Addai in the 2nd if he is there is another more likely scenario. This team could produce surprise fantasy points this year maybe and next year most likely.

PIT RB: FWP has the main spot with Duce and Verron picking up the slack. Many rumors are flying about them grabbing someone else but I just have a feeling that they stay put.

SEA RB: SA is the starter and stud. Morris is probably gone so they may be looking at a backup this year. If the guy is any good at all he gets the nod for big points if SA goes down. Fantasy backup alert.

SD RB: LT is starter and stud but M Turner is UFA next season and may get a chance to jump ship and start. Sproles is not the backup IMO, so look for SD to get their next backup as well.

KC RB: LJ is the starter and.. oh just look above. Fantasy Backup alert.

GB RB: A Green is the starter but I believe he only signed a one year deal. This does not make me feel good about his long term prospects especially when added to the injury history. Gado had season ending knee surgery after looking very promising indeed. Does GB sit on Gado and hope the magic continues on surgically repaired knee? Keep a look on this one.

CAR RB: Foster is the injury plagued starter and the team did not think highly of rookie backup Eric Shelton last year. The Panthers are a legit playoff team with a run first attitude so this could turn to fantasy gold for the owner smart enough to grab whomever they draft this season assuming Shelton doesn't turn it around.

NO RB: Deuce is the starter and Micheal Bennett is in the wings. If Deuce comes back close to 100% not to worry. If he doesn't... NO could be looking RB early in the draft. I don't like this team but you never know.

This is what I could rattle off. I anyone has something or some team to add, please do.
forget duce skanky

Two situations to add, based mostly on my feelings on the ability of the players involved. I think these are potential young studs/hidden gems here.

CIN RB: Rudi has been a very capable starter, but I believe Chris Perry is a far more talented RB, and has the ability to be one of the best RBs in the league if he can (1) get a chance to shoulder the load and (2) stay healthy. He's electric.

SF RB: Another situation where I think a young backup RB has loads of talent, but where there are also questions regarding his durability. The difference here is that Gore is much closer to having a full-time starting role here than Perry in Cinci.

I had no idea about this, thanks for the knowledge. Last time I checked the started would have had to been the guy that had over 1,000 yards last year. If you get any more great updates please let me know. :sarcasm:

I would say Atlanta is another situation that bears watching with an aging Warrick Dunn and ineffective T.J. Duckett!!

Im curious as to what may happen in Chicago. Does Jones hold onto the feature situation? Or does Benson make his presence felt this year?

I hope the Pats draft a RB high...

That being said. After the 2002 season they had Antowain as a starter and he was close to finished. It was a situation worse than today. Everyone predicted the Pats would go with a RB in the 03 draft. It made sense. Yet, they didn't draft one and they went on to win the Super Bowl.

I bring this up because it's another example of how you just never know what the Pats will do. No matter how much you follow them it is literally impossible to get a handle on what they will do.

How can you leave out Houston with projected Reggie Bush vs injured Dominik Davis. That should end up being one of most interested RB situations this year. Asumeing Dominick is healthy I would compare it similar to Rudi-Perry situation in Cincy last year.

I dont understand this. Shelton was injured last year so this isnt making much sense.I dont see Car drafting a back early, possible not at all. Foster is inj prone, but shelton has tremendous upside and dont forget super sub Nick Goings. He has filled in and done a stellar job with every chance he gets.

I dont understand this. Shelton was injured last year so this isnt making much sense.I dont see Car drafting a back early, possible not at all. Foster is inj prone, but shelton has tremendous upside and dont forget super sub Nick Goings. He has filled in and done a stellar job with every chance he gets.
Panthers were very disappointed with Shelton prior to his mystery injury.

fruity is right.

Im curious as to what may happen in Chicago. Does Jones hold onto the feature situation? Or does Benson make his presence felt this year?

:goodposting:

I think Benson has the talent to over take Jones this year, coming into training camp late last year hurt him. I think Benson is a great late round sleeper this year :excited:

I think Benson has the talent to over take Jones this year, coming into training camp late last year hurt him. I think Benson is a great late round sleeper this year :excited:
I agree that he's someone with a lot of upside who should be watched closely, and he has a chance to outperform his draft position significantly, but I highly doubt that he'll be in the late rounds of any decent drafts.

why would he be the starter. :confused: lets look at Bell #s in 2005184 att

971 rushing yard

132 rec yards

8 TDs

not bad #s for a RB with limited atts.

971 rushing yard

132 rec yards

8 TDs

It's easy to say the stats without actually LOOKING at them.For starters that was coming in as a spell RB. Every half-decent FF player knows that spell RB stats don't translate to starting RB stats, otherwise Amos Zeroueue and Troy Hambrick (both over 5ypc in spell roles) would still be starting NFL RBs. Even the recently successful RBs to make the transition (Steven Jackson and LaMont Jordan) had their ypc drop dramatically when taking over the feature role (Jordan from 5.2ypc to 3.8ypc and Jackson from 5.0ypc to 4.1ypc).

Now we take that and couple it with Bell's biggest stat that goes something like this (don't remember the exact number):

YPC on first 12 carries of a game: 6.1ypc

YPC on carries 12+ in a game: 2.8ypc

Now we take both of these and add them to the quotes that we've seen around here of Shanahan saying that Bell can't handle many carries (which the stats certainly back up) and we have an equation that doesn't add up to a starting RB.

pardon my ignorance, do the broncos have the 15th AND 22nd? if not, and they are targetting a RB, the move up 7 spaces, means that there is a RB they don't think will be there at 22, that they DID want, so they are moving to 15... not saying Denver doesn't draft a back, just saying that team doesn't move up in the first round for a RB...

Where is Mo Morris heading?

I think SFO is interesting with Norv Turner as the OC.
Gore is so going to get that job.Not least because he's their guy.As a general rule of thumb - in any situation where a team has to choose between two players, if it's down to one the present management drafted, and one the previous management drafted, the guy that the present guys brought in has the best shot.Also because Barlow is a low-grade, overpaid bust waiting to happen and Gore has All-World talent.

971 rushing yard

132 rec yards

8 TDs

It's easy to say the stats without actually LOOKING at them.For starters that was coming in as a spell RB. Every half-decent FF player knows that spell RB stats don't translate to starting RB stats, otherwise Amos Zeroueue and Troy Hambrick (both over 5ypc in spell roles) would still be starting NFL RBs. Even the recently successful RBs to make the transition (Steven Jackson and LaMont Jordan) had their ypc drop dramatically when taking over the feature role (Jordan from 5.2ypc to 3.8ypc and Jackson from 5.0ypc to 4.1ypc).

Now we take that and couple it with Bell's biggest stat that goes something like this (don't remember the exact number):

Now we take both of these and add them to the quotes that we've seen around here of Shanahan saying that Bell can't handle many carries (which the stats certainly back up) and we have an equation that doesn't add up to a starting RB.
let me get this straight your trying to down play Bell's YPC if given a full load yet the guy u are hyping has a career:3.7 YPC (3.4 before Denver)

only logged 53 rushes for 270 yrds (compared to Bells 173 for 921) this past season.

so ya lets explain to us why Jackson and LaMont Jordans YPC dropped in limited roles to starting gigs yet explain to us why Dayne who has had even worse YPC in limited roles will excel.

love the logic :banned:

The Jacksonville situation is pretty interesting IMO. The staff wants to phase out Fragile Freddy, but is Jones thelong term answer?

Gore is so going to get that job.Not least because he's their guy.

As a general rule of thumb - in any situation where a team has to choose between two players, if it's down to one the present management drafted, and one the previous management drafted, the guy that the present guys brought in has the best shot.

Also because Barlow is a low-grade, overpaid bust waiting to happen and Gore has All-World talent.
Another rule of thumb, if a RB outright beats the other, he's the starter.

971 rushing yard

132 rec yards

8 TDs

let me get this straight your trying to down play Bell's YPC if given a full load yet the guy u are hyping has a career:3.7 YPC (3.4 before Denver)

only logged 53 rushes for 270 yrds (compared to Bells 173 for 921) this past season.

so ya lets explain to us why Jackson and LaMont Jordans YPC dropped in limited roles to starting gigs yet explain to us why Dayne who has had even worse YPC in limited roles will excel.

Where did I ever say ANYTHING about Dayne? My post was in response to your post about Bell's numbers "sure looking like starting RB #'s" to you without you ever actually looking at those numbers more closely.Don't put words in my mouth please.

Last edited by a moderator:
let me get this straight your trying to down play Bell's YPC if given a full load yet the guy u are hyping has a career:

3.7 YPC (3.4 before Denver)

It's so fun to read these kind of comments. I especially love the (3.4 before Denver) stuff. Hey, guess what? Dayne now plays for Denver, where he averaged 5.1 ypc. The reason why his carries were limited was because he was competing directly with Mike Anderson for carries, since his role & Anderson's role were the same with DEN. Bell was never more than a CoP RB last year, and if Bell couldn't take the job last year - when he could have run away with it if he had shown the capability to do so, what makes anyone think he'll be the lead dog in DEN this year?Bell's dramatic drop in ypc in his first 12 carries each game vs any carries beyond 12 in a game is well documented, as is his inconsistency. Bell is a homerun hitter - but he doesn't give Shanahan meaningful consistent production per rush, and Shanahan is clearly skeptical of Bell's ability to carry the ball a lot. On the other hand, Shanahan loves Dayne and has must have some kind of confidence in him since they let Anderson go without another RB in place first. Dayne kept his mouth shut last year, worked hard, didn't complain about a lack of opportunity, turned in great performances when he got a chance, played special teams, and was a class act all around. That's the kind of guy Shanahan loves - and it would surprise me if Dayne didn't get a very real shot at the #1 spot in DEN. And if he keeps churning at 5+ ypc he'll keep the job & keep Bell on the bench as a CoP RB again.

The lack of logic is that by Bell owners thinking he'll be the featured RB this year after watching the way Shanahan has used him the past 2 years. While Dayne may not end up being DEN's featured RB, he just may be also. He's a hit-or-miss kind of proposition but he's almost certain to get an opportunity. Bell seemingly has little to no shot at the featured RB slot and is the designated CoP unless DEN pulls off one of the rumored trades involving Bell. Being a hopeful Bell owner doesn't change that prospect, no matter how much you hope or how derisive you can be here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bell's dramatic drop in ypc in his first 12 carries each game vs any carries beyond 12 in a game is well documented, as is his inconsistency. Bell is a homerun hitter - but he doesn't give Shanahan meaningful consistent production per rush, and Shanahan is clearly skeptical of Bell's ability to carry the ball a lot. On the other hand, Shanahan loves Dayne and has must have some kind of confidence in him since they let Anderson go without another RB in place first.
:goodposting:

good question..If Benson didn't hold out last year, you wouldn't even have to ask who is the starting rb in Chicago, it would be Benson..TJ put up solid numbers in 2005, but I would think Benson is going to come into camp with something to prove, and will eventually take the job from TJ..

TJ has had injury problems before, so that could be a factor..

I just can't see the cheap Chicago ownership paying Benson ALL that dough to have him sit on the sidelines..

someone might even try to trade for TJ, you never know..maybe a team loses a starting RB in camp? Bears have 3 good RB's, not sure they need to keep all 3..Benson,TJ,Peterson..

fruity is right.
Panthers | Contract update: D. FosterMon, 27 Mar 2006 06:47:17 -0800

Carolina Panthers RB DeShaun Foster signed a three-year contract that includes base salaries of $1.0 million (2006), $4.25 million (2007) and $4.75 million (2008).

Is this essentially a 1 year deal to see how he does as the undisputed starter? If he performs well then 4+ million a year isn't too bad for a starting RB. If he doesn't perform or gets injured again they can cut him before he hits the "meat" of his contract. What was Foster's signing bonus?

Gore is so going to get that job.Not least because he's their guy.

As a general rule of thumb - in any situation where a team has to choose between two players, if it's down to one the present management drafted, and one the previous management drafted, the guy that the present guys brought in has the best shot.

Also because Barlow is a low-grade, overpaid bust waiting to happen and Gore has All-World talent.
Another rule of thumb, if a RB outright beats the other, he's the starter.
It seems I see this situation differently than most. I think both Gore or Barlow are capable backs that will likely continue to share the role but neither are the longterm answer. Gore may have become the starter but Barlow will get his carries. Between the two of them, the position is filled adequately for a team with a lot of other needs. The team will focus on those other needs in the short term but eventually will need to address RB.For 2006, Gore might be a good #3 back that can fill in adequately during short-term injury situations and bye weeks but expecting much more than that is unwise IMO.

TN situation is murky!

C.Brown's contract is up this year and Henry has basically a one year deal..Should be an interesting battle

The Jacksonville situation is pretty interesting IMO. The staff wants to phase out Fragile Freddy, but is Jones thelong term answer?
I'm interested in this one as well.Will we see a repeat of last season?

2005 Stats

Fred Taylor 194 carries 787 yards 3 TDs

Greg Jones 151 carries 575 yards 4 TDs

Alvin Pearman 39 carries 149 yards 1 TD, 32 catches 240 yards

Labrandon Toefield 36 carries 142 yards 4 TDs

Taylor was featured for 8 of the 11 games he played. The other 3 look like RBBC with Jones

Jones was featured in 4 games

Toefield got most of his stats in the last 2 games, in week 17 he was featured.

Pearman looks like he was the 3rd down back most of the season.

I've got to think this one plays out similar if Taylor is on the roster.

I would say Atlanta is another situation that bears watching with an aging Warrick Dunn and ineffective T.J. Duckett!!
I'm not knee deep in the ATL RB situation but it seems logical that DeAndrea Cobb get's his chance at somepoint in ATL.Anybody know anything about this situation?

What about the Baltimore situation? Sure, they resign Lewis...almost grudgingly, then they bring in Mike Anderson. This could get ugly as well. Especially if Lewis pouts and complains all year.

Users who are viewing this thread