What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Darrelle Revis still a lock down corner? (1 Viewer)

mikmak8902

Footballguy
I'm going to throw this out there and see what the Shark Pool consensus is. My first thought was "sure he is" but I admittedly did not see him play a ton. He's 30yrs old and playing corner is a young man's game. He has lost a step but was never necessarily a burner. He's more of a technique corner.

Who has a good read on this guy? Is it worth devaluing the WR1 on teams that are playing the Patriots? Or are we past that point in Revis' career?

mik - Revis is with the NYJ now.

my opinion? Revis is still a top CB in the sense that he's good enough to play man-to-man on a primary WR. So from a "real" football standpoint, he allows defenses to do things with man coverage that they may not be able to without a "top corner". Revis still makes the entire defense better. He is a great mix of physical and smooth/graceful to both jam and run-with a WR.

But... he has lost a step. Revis Island isn't the lock-down, Alcatraz it once was. And because of this you may see Revis assigned to shut down a #2 WR while the primary WR is bracketed and double-teamed.

In the end, I don't see benching a top fantasy pick b/c of Revis alone.

He played CB as well as any CB I have ever seen last year...he had a stretch where he did an unbelievable job on some of the top threats in the game like Calvin and Thomas from Denver...as good as I thought he was I didn't fully appreciate his level of play until I saw him play every minute of a full season...in this day and age where the game is rigged for the offense Revis plays the position as well as it can be played...he is at an age where you could see a decline but until I see it he is still a stud...the fact his game is not built on speed will probably help him at this stage of his career as well...

He certainly still was last year.

Probably no reason to assume that'll have changed much in the off-season, though of course, it'll change eventually. So keep an eye, and adjust as necessary. :shrug:

He certainly still was last year.

Probably no reason to assume that'll have changed much in the off-season, though of course, it'll change eventually. So keep an eye, and adjust as necessary. :shrug:
He was superb for the Pats last year. I am still certain he's still "Revis Island".

Yes. There were some concerns the year he was coming back from the ACL tear on the Bucs (who didn't use him correctly) but was great last year for the Pats and I expect he'll continue to do well for the Jets.

Like the OP noted, his best strength has never been pure athleticism to I don't expect him to fall off a cliff like some guys do.

I don't think he is nearly as scary as he was in the past.

When you say "lock down" I think of guys that basically just take away an option completely for the entire game and I don't think that is the case.

I also don't know if the Jets are going to play sides or shadow. That might be something Dr. Octopus or one of those guys has knowledge of.

There was a time when I threw the NBYS theory out the window when I saw my WR playing Revis because he absolutely shut down AJ, Calvin, Reggie, and a few others that year. But that time has passed. When he and Dez square off, Dez will be in my lineup.

I don't think he is nearly as scary as he was in the past.
agreed.

still a fantastic corner.

still would want him on my team.

but not transcendent as he once was, seemed to me that he handles the bigger,more physical WRs well but some of the smaller, quicker WRs had some success against him... and even that is hard to quantify b/c NE didn't always leave him on "Revis Island" the way Rex did...

Bottom line, I would not sit my top fantasy WR just because of Revis. If the NYJs Defense, as a whole, is ferocious - rushing QBs, disrupting offenses, etc - then maybe.

I think a lot of it depends on what the refs let him get away with. I saw him grab WRs a pretty good amount last year when he started to get beat. But it was rarely called. I think if his speed continues to decline, those holds are going to become a lot more obvious and refs will be forced to call them.

He's basically finishing up hole 7 and heading towards the back 9. He got his ring and always got his money. No incentive for this guy to try as hard as in previous years. He'll be as effective this year as he was in TB.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's basically finishing up hole 7 and heading towards the back 9. He got his ring and always got his money. No incentive for this guy to try as hard as in previous years. He'll be as effective this year as he was in TB.
He was incredibly effective in TB. They just didn't run a scheme that showcased his one-on-one shutdown abilities for postgame highlight reels.

He's all about technique and footwork. Hes going to age very well. And he tackles well enough to move to safety later

He does generally still line up against the other team's top wide receiver but not exclusively anymore. GroveDiesel mentioned him grabbing a bit and if I'm being honest I have noticed that a little more this season than when he was last with the Jets. Perhaps he's lost a step and trying to get away using some savvy (i.e. cheating a bit) - but he's not nearly as bad as a guy like Cromartie across from him.

He's still one of the best in the game - but depending on the opposing WR, I don't think the WR is necessarily a "sit". This week, I don't see him having much trouble with Garcon for two reasons: Garcon isn't very fast and Cousins isn't nearly accurate enough to fit the ball into tight coverage where only the WR can get to it.

Dr. Octopus said:
He does generally still line up against the other team's top wide receiver but not exclusively anymore. GroveDiesel mentioned him grabbing a bit and if I'm being honest I have noticed that a little more this season than when he was last with the Jets. Perhaps he's lost a step and trying to get away using some savvy (i.e. cheating a bit) - but he's not nearly as bad as a guy like Cromartie across from him.

He's still one of the best in the game - but depending on the opposing WR, I don't think the WR is necessarily a "sit". This week, I don't see him having much trouble with Garcon for two reasons: Garcon isn't very fast and Cousins isn't nearly accurate enough to fit the ball into tight coverage where only the WR can get to it.
Watch Sherman and then you will see grabbing on each play.

I think Revis is still a top corner, but I will go on record that I think he had less of an impact on the Patriots last year than some have claimed. Yes, he had a stretch where he limited the damage by opponent's #1 receivers, but many of those games NE won going away. When they needed him in tight games in the regular season, he didn't play as well (the GB game being a prime example). The Pats win 12 games pretty much every year and usually get a bye, so yes he helped but I don't think he was the huge deciding factor that some people think he was. The NE secondary got torched in two of their three playoff games and without Herculean efforts by Brady they would not have earned another title. IMO, the team being healthy late in the season made more of an impact than Revis did.

Dr. Octopus said:

Watch Sherman and then you will see grabbing on each play.
Regis gets away with more. Vastly more than most CBs.

Users who are viewing this thread