What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it 100% safe to drop Gordon at this point? (1 Viewer)

Saboo

Footballguy
I understand that there is already a Gordon thread, but that has gone on for so long + has become more comic relief at this point than anything else I thought I would start this to ask 1 simple question.

Is it 100% safe to drop Gordon at this point? I understand the man is working at a car dealership, but there are still reports he is considering suing the NFL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/04/josh-gordon-gets-a-job-with-an-ohio-car-dealership/

Is it simply a waste of a roster spot to carry him at this point or does he have a chance to play?

I heard that if you buy a car from him and show him that he's on your fantasy roster still, he will knock an extra $500 off the price.

But seriously, yes there is a chance he could play but that chance is getting less and less by the day. If there's nobody with big upside worth grabbing then hang on, but I'd drop him for guys like Kelce, Latimer, etc.

I'll admit I own 0 shares of Gordon though and he is available as a FA in some of my leagues.

Last I heard, his team was trying to dig up any type of law they could (likely something obscure in Ohio regarding employment and/or drug testing), in hopes of being able to file suit and ask a judge for an injuction on the suspension handed down by the NFL.

From what I understand, if their case had any merit, they'd likely be granted an injuction due to the nature of the NFL -- it's not as if he could get those games back should he win his suit down the road.

That said, I told the GF to move on. Seemed like his team was scraping the bottom of the barrel, looking for any reason to get him on the field, even if it was likely just temporary.

100%, no.

95%, absolutely.

If you're talking redraft, then yes I would drop him immediately. If you're talking dynasty then definitely not, hang on to him for the future. If I'm remembering right though, one more offense and he's booted from the NFL permanently.

Appearing on NBC's NFL Kickoff 2014, Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reported Josh Gordon and Wes Welker's suspensions could be reduced or "go away completely" if the NFL and NFLPA agree on a new drug policy.
According to NFL.com's Albert Breer, Sunday is a "soft deadline" for an agreement. The sides have been trying to hammer out a pact that would allow testing for HGH. As a concession, the league would then raise the threshold for positive marijuana tests, and move amphetamines from the PED policy to substance-abuse policy. First-team substance abuse violations do not mandate a suspension. The situation is still very much up in the air, but it appears Gordon is worth stashing.

Appearing on NBC's NFL Kickoff 2014, Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reported Josh Gordon and Wes Welker's suspensions could be reduced or "go away completely" if the NFL and NFLPA agree on a new drug policy.
According to NFL.com's Albert Breer, Sunday is a "soft deadline" for an agreement. The sides have been trying to hammer out a pact that would allow testing for HGH. As a concession, the league would then raise the threshold for positive marijuana tests, and move amphetamines from the PED policy to substance-abuse policy. First-team substance abuse violations do not mandate a suspension. The situation is still very much up in the air, but it appears Gordon is worth stashing.
Unbelievable. It's like the Walking Dead of NFL suspensions, it just won't die.

This is pure speculation by Florio. All reports before today or so indicated that changes to the policy would not be retroactive.

If you're talking redraft, then yes I would drop him immediately. If you're talking dynasty then definitely not, hang on to him for the future. If I'm remembering right though, one more offense and he's booted from the NFL permanently.
Even if "permanently" banned, he could still apply for reinstatement, and probably get it at some point, especially now with the league looking to soften on some of the drug penalties.

I don't get it. The odds of it being reduced seem pretty low. And I drafted him in 3 leagues and have dropped in all

Last edited by a moderator:
Lmfao at someone not understanding.
I don't understand what about this news makes his suspension any less likely? What is different now than a few days ago? Some random guy said a couple IF's in a statement....People have been saying IF's all along and they have been wrong.

I don't understand what about this news makes his suspension any less likely? What is different now than a few days ago? Some random guy said a couple IF's in a statement....People have been saying IF's all along and they have been wrong.
his suspension is already done. They cant make it less likely. What they can do is apply the rule retroactively thus declaring the suspension null and void. And lmao at some random guy. More like an NFL reporter who has sources inside the league. Even if the chance is 5% whats it hurt by dropping the last person you drafted to add gordon, you know just in case? Thats hard to understand. Its very low risk, very high reward move even if its only 5% chance of happening.

his suspension is already done. They cant make it less likely. What they can do is apply the rule retroactively thus declaring the suspension null and void. And lmao at some random guy. More like an NFL reporter who has sources inside the league. Even if the chance is 5% whats it hurt by dropping the last person you drafted to add gordon, you know just in case? Thats hard to understand. Its very low risk, very high reward move even if its only 5% chance of happening.
Because there are other guys available in a lot of leagues that have a higher chance of being valuable this year like Kelce, Latimer, etc. Sure, if you have a turd sitting on your roster then drop him for Gordon, but how many people have turds sitting on your roster right after your draft? You should have solid starters and high upside guys.

And what makes anybody think they would retroactively apply this rule? They didn't retroactively apply the new rule for Ray Rice.

BOOM!!!!!

The Washington Post confirms it's "possible" Wes Welker and Josh Gordon could have their suspensions reduced or overturned as part of a new drug-testing agreement.

Reporter Mark Maske has confirmed Profootballtalk's report. The reduced or vanished penalties would be part of a pact that simultaneously allows HGH testing and raises the threshold for a positive marijuana test. Amphetamines would also be moved from the PED policy to substance-abuse policy. First time substance-abuse violations don't trigger automatic suspensions. NFL.com's Albert Breer has pegged Sunday as a "soft deadline" in the talks, so we could have a resolution shortly.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news

Because there are other guys available in a lot of leagues that have a higher chance of being valuable this year like Kelce, Latimer, etc. Sure, if you have a turd sitting on your roster then drop him for Gordon, but how many people have turds sitting on your roster right after your draft? You should have solid starters and high upside guys.

And what makes anybody think they would retroactively apply this rule? They didn't retroactively apply the new rule for Ray Rice.
Latimer and Kelce are nice pickups but neither are fantasy difference makers. Gordon is.

The Kelce, Lattimer types are long gone in legit leagues, guy.

Latimer and Kelce are nice pickups but neither are fantasy difference makers. Gordon is.
How do you know? Gordon wasn't a fantasy difference maker until he was.

And to the tough guy saying those guys are gone in legit leagues then Gordon should also be gone in legit leagues. I have some leagues where each of those guys are available and some where they are all good.

Like I said, if you have trash on your roster then of course dump it for Gordon. I wouldn't drop and end of the roster high upside player like Kelce or Latimer for him though.

BOOM!!!!!

The Washington Post confirms it's "possible" Wes Welker and Josh Gordon could have their suspensions reduced or overturned as part of a new drug-testing agreement.

Reporter Mark Maske has confirmed Profootballtalk's report. The reduced or vanished penalties would be part of a pact that simultaneously allows HGH testing and raises the threshold for a positive marijuana test. Amphetamines would also be moved from the PED policy to substance-abuse policy. First time substance-abuse violations don't trigger automatic suspensions. NFL.com's Albert Breer has pegged Sunday as a "soft deadline" in the talks, so we could have a resolution shortly.

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football-player-news
faust is really slipping

I'M ALL IN ON THE COMMISSIONER!!!!

Gordon isn't just an add, the guy led the entire NFL in receiving yards last year. How could you not take the chance?

How do you know? Gordon wasn't a fantasy difference maker until he was.

And to the tough guy saying those guys are gone in legit leagues then Gordon should also be gone in legit leagues. I have some leagues where each of those guys are available and some where they are all good.

Like I said, if you have trash on your roster then of course dump it for Gordon. I wouldn't drop and end of the roster high upside player like Kelce or Latimer for him though.
So I shouldn't drop a player that is very unlikely to see my starting roster to pick up Gordon now as a FA just in case his suspension is revoked in the coming days? I should wait until I find out it is and then hope I can claim him off waivers next week if they do revoke it. Thanks for the advice.

And those other guys that MIGHT be available to pick up instead, I'm gonna go out on a limb a say that I would've drafted them over the player I'm dropping if I wanted them. And since they're still available, apparently they aren't a priority for the other mangers to be rostering right now.

Users who are viewing this thread