What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it Me, Or is this the Nuttiest Off-Season in Recent Memory? (1 Viewer)

Maybe it's a reflection of LA/TB making all those moves to build SB teams?
This is as good a thesis as most. I mean, I actually do think that some teams are getting scared of investing money in aging guys that might fall off of actuarial cliffs in terms of performance (thanks, Adam Harstad) and instead are seeking to build through the draft. And other teams are more than willing to go for it when they've got the shot. 

So yeah, I'd say it probably is a reflection of organizational philosophy. 

REMINDER.   

One year ago, this was being said:

Who is stopping THIS

AND

Who is stopping this

Big FA acquisition or a big trade and people get really excited.   With so many big moves some teams will be disappointed.
Those hyperbolic headlines are nowhere remotely close to the insanity of this year’s QB movement, trade market and FA signings, and we haven’t even had the draft yet.

it’s a reach to even mention last year’s preseason action in the context of this topic.’

I’ve seen several people debunk it. I don’t think it’s gonna happen. 
Well yeah longshot and all. Seems like KC has money to spend since they had been attempting to extend Hill. I don't pretend to understand that stuff, though. They have picks to offer and if Seattle is willing to move Wilson then in my head all bets are off. 

Well yeah longshot and all. Seems like KC has money to spend since they had been attempting to extend Hill. I don't pretend to understand that stuff, though. They have picks to offer and if Seattle is willing to move Wilson then in my head all bets are off. 
I have a feeling they go for Stephon Gilmore if they’re spending $.

That'd free them up to fill other holes on the team. They could shore up the secondary, add a RB (RoJo?), maybe get some depth on the OL. 

Hill may have done them a huge favor. 

I feel like Metcalf to the Chiefs is totally in play right now. Just a gut not real reason to think it will happen but that would be so much capital for Seattle to still suck with.
That would be a unique situation where I can imagine a WR taking a home town discount  extension. Going from worst to first can be a pretty good feeling for a player. If they make a deep drive into the playoffs suddenly all that money from JAX/JETS(or whoever) might not look nearly as attractive.

If I were a 24yo WR and had the chance to ink a long term deal with a 26yo Mahomes(who is already committed in a long term deal with the franchise) I can't think of a better long term place to play as WR#1 for the next decade or so. 

Not predicting that it will happen. Just saying it would be fun to watch.

I am familiar with all the media folks involved in this story, and I believe that this was intended to be for 2023. The tweet in question did not say "this season," it said "NEXT season."

Dale Arnold @DaleEArnold
Would not be surprised if @TomBrady didn’t play for @Buccaneers next season. Try a little further South.
The follow up tweet was about Gronk not resigning yet.

Dale Arnold@DaleEArnold
And notice that @RobGronkowski hasn’t re-signed with @Buccaneers yet?
I think Brady wants to play in MIA, but I don't see Tampa signing off on that. Gronk is waiting to see what happens with Brady. Tampa trading Brady now would give them a much lower chance of winning the SB this season. The Dolphins might want to acquire Brady, but I don't see the Bucs acquiescing.

I have a feeling they go for Stephon Gilmore if they’re spending $.

That'd free them up to fill other holes on the team. They could shore up the secondary, add a RB (RoJo?), maybe get some depth on the OL. 

Hill may have done them a huge favor. 
I saw that the Chiefs have been talking to Gilmore and Jones.

I am familiar with all the media folks involved in this story, and I believe that this was intended to be for 2023. The tweet in question did not say "this season," it said "NEXT season."

The follow up tweet was about Gronk not resigning yet.

I think Brady wants to play in MIA, but I don't see Tampa signing off on that. Gronk is waiting to see what happens with Brady. Tampa trading Brady now would give them a much lower chance of winning the SB this season. The Dolphins might want to acquire Brady, but I don't see the Bucs acquiescing.
I don’t see why Brady would want to leave the NFC whew his chances at a ring are a zillion times better than in the blood bath that is the AFC. 

I don’t see why Brady would want to leave the NFC whew his chances at a ring are a zillion times better than in the blood bath that is the AFC. 
I am generally trying to lay low on all things Brady these days, as whenever I post about him, the responses and comments haven' exacting been flattering.

If you go look in the Brady thread, there has been plenty of talk that Brady and Arians demeanors, philosophies, and ability to coexist have been called into question. Some people wonder whether Brady has been trying to continue playing, just for another franchise, and that his faux retirement was to try to shoot his way out of town.

A different discussion is whether just having Brady makes any good team a SB contender. The current logic in Boston sports media is that the Dolphins seem to be going all in and are building a powerhouse offense . . . one that should not be run by Tua or Teddy. People connecting the dots are suggesting they are putting this altogether for an elite QB (in their eyes Brady).

To clarify for the people that are frequently critical of what I post about this situation, this is what I have heard, it's not me with some crazy hot take, and I am only posting about what other people have said about it.

I am generally trying to lay low on all things Brady these days, as whenever I post about him, the responses and comments haven' exacting been flattering.

If you go look in the Brady thread, there has been plenty of talk that Brady and Arians demeanors, philosophies, and ability to coexist have been called into question. Some people wonder whether Brady has been trying to continue playing, just for another franchise, and that his faux retirement was to try to shoot his way out of town.

A different discussion is whether just having Brady makes any good team a SB contender. The current logic in Boston sports media is that the Dolphins seem to be going all in and are building a powerhouse offense . . . one that should not be run by Tua or Teddy. People connecting the dots are suggesting they are putting this altogether for an elite QB (in their eyes Brady).

To clarify for the people that are frequently critical of what I post about this situation, this is what I have heard, it's not me with some crazy hot take, and I am only posting about what other people have said about it.
Caveat noted. It still seems advantageous for Brady to stay in the NFC, even if he & Arians aren’t going to be playing pinochle in the locker room after games. 

To fully understand how nutty this off-season has been just think since this thread was started and the question of it being the nuttiest off-season was first suggested and agreed to be the case by most we've had Watson, Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill all traded and we still are a month away from the draft. A draft I anticipate leads to more trades then usual since last I checked 7 teams had multiple #1's and 8 don't have any.

To fully understand how nutty this off-season has been just think since this thread was started and the question of it being the nuttiest off-season was first suggested and agreed to be the case by most we've had Watson, Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill all traded and we still are a month away from the draft. A draft I anticipate leads to more trades then usual since last I checked 7 teams had multiple #1's and 8 don't have any.
I don't watch much college football, but from what I have heard from other draftniks, it sounds like there isn't a ton of first round talent and the QBs available are only ok. But apparently there are a ton of good prospects and potential starters in Rounds 2-4 (which means some will probably fall into the beginning of Round 5). Teams without first round picks might be better off, and teams with multiple first rounders may be taking players without first round grades. At least that's how some people / places have described the landscape so far.

Perhaps the craziest story of the offseason for me is flying under the radar here and elsewhere - that Terry Pegula somehow convinced NY taxpayers to give him $1bln under the threat he would move the Bills ... to Austin TX.  An absolute magician to pull that off.

Perhaps the craziest story of the offseason for me is flying under the radar here and elsewhere - that Terry Pegula somehow convinced NY taxpayers to give him $1bln under the threat he would move the Bills ... to Austin TX.  An absolute magician to pull that off.
Wasn't it less than 5 years ago that the NFL wasn't allowed to be taxed at all?  The owners basically print themselves money.

I’d actually somehow missed that one: holy smokes. 

Users who are viewing this thread