What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is the Two-Minute Warning an antiquated notion? (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
The two-minute warning is pretty silly when you think about it. It's a clock stoppage at an arbitrary point in the game which was initiated by neither team. Why not stop the clock with 11:00 left in the 3rd quarter? Or with 3:44 left in the 2nd quarter. Here is the origin of the rule:

In the early days of the NFL, the official game time was kept by a member of the officiating crew, with the stadium clock being unofficial. Its purpose was a checkpoint to ensure that the teams knew how much time remained in the game. Since the late 1960s, the NFL stadium clock has been official.
There's no logical need for the free time-out anymore. I'm going to start a petition to send to Goodell.Who's with me?

:unsure:

The NFL will take any excuse to pause for a TV commercial that it can find.

I still miss the Alcoa fantastic finishes. :shrug: This was the reason for ever having the 2 minute warning at all. Yeah I agree 2 minute warnings are just the 4th timeout.

The 2 minute warning is ingrained into the game in terms of both strategy and tradition.

It ain't going nowhere.

The two-minute warning is pretty silly when you think about it. It's a clock stoppage at an arbitrary point in the game which was initiated by neither team. Why not stop the clock with 11:00 left in the 3rd quarter? Or with 3:44 left in the 2nd quarter. Here is the origin of the rule:

In the early days of the NFL, the official game time was kept by a member of the officiating crew, with the stadium clock being unofficial. Its purpose was a checkpoint to ensure that the teams knew how much time remained in the game. Since the late 1960s, the NFL stadium clock has been official.
There's no logical need for the free time-out anymore. I'm going to start a petition to send to Goodell.Who's with me?

Forget it man, it's over.

We're a few years away from the game clock restarting on incomplete passes and TD-commercial-PAT-commercial-kickoff-commercial.
Yea, I mean the game is practically unwatchable as it is. I almost never sit down and watch an entire football game these days. It takes too long. I'll watch a half of a game and then go do something else with my time instead. Too many stoppages. It's gotten worse with the new challenge and replay rules. The most obnoxious are probably the breaks after kickoffs though. Can't stand that.

Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? :banned: :banned: :banned:

We're a few years away from the game clock restarting on incomplete passes and TD-commercial-PAT-commercial-kickoff-commercial.
Yea, I mean the game is practically unwatchable as it is. I almost never sit down and watch an entire football game these days. It takes too long. I'll watch a half of a game and then go do something else with my time instead. Too many stoppages. It's gotten worse with the new challenge and replay rules. The most obnoxious are probably the breaks after kickoffs though. Can't stand that.
:goodposting: Only time I spend more than one hour straight actually totally paying attention is the 1PM EST games on Sunday when I'm watching Redzone or unless it's an Eagles game.

Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? :banned: :banned: :banned:
Germans? :banned: :banned: :banned:

Nope. Not with you.

I can see keeping the 2 minute warning just before half-time and at the end of the 4th quarter, but having them at the end of the 1st and 3rd is truly pointless.

it was worthy of a movie name some 40 years ago, it's worthy today. Would be like removing the Slap Shot from Hockey......

Last edited by a moderator:

Forget it, he's rolling. :banned: :banned: :banned:

Forget it, he's rolling. :banned: :banned: :banned:
And it ain't over now. Because when the going get's tough... :banned: :banned: :banned:

Since the 2 minute warning is when the cheerleaders go out on the field and perform their choreographed numbers... I'm definitely in favor of keeping it.

I use the 2-minute warning to get my kids to grab their backpacks and get into the car before taking them to school at 7:28 AM everyday. If they go over, I <_< and :penalty:

Users who are viewing this thread