What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's Christmas in July - Draft Dominator software available for your desktop (3 Viewers)

Eh I disagree with many. Seems like all the relevant information you need is there. Old DD was almosttook much info at once. 

My question is I have an inaugural dynasty draft and I don't see anywhere where I can set to dynasty rankings. 

Do these need to be imported separately?

Eh I disagree with many. Seems like all the relevant information you need is there. Old DD was almosttook much info at once. 

My question is I have an inaugural dynasty draft and I don't see anywhere where I can set to dynasty rankings. 

Do these need to be imported separately?
Hey Tom. On dynasty, the best thing you can do is setup a new rankings profile under the wrench icon above the players list, and call it "Dynasty". And then assign it to your team, and use the edit players option.

In the future, we'd like to spew out proper dynasty rankings. Because the app is projections based, though, we either need to do projections for 2017, 18, 19 - which seems kind of silly - or come up with a new model for adapting 2016 projections into the future based on a) your team's strategy, b) the age of the player, c) their career to date and d) norms at that player's position

Hey Tom. On dynasty, the best thing you can do is setup a new rankings profile under the wrench icon above the players list, and call it "Dynasty". And then assign it to your team, and use the edit players option.

In the future, we'd like to spew out proper dynasty rankings. Because the app is projections based, though, we either need to do projections for 2017, 18, 19 - which seems kind of silly - or come up with a new model for adapting 2016 projections into the future based on a) your team's strategy, b) the age of the player, c) their career to date and d) norms at that player's position
Ah. Dang. I knew switching to dynasty gonna mean more work for me. :D

I'll do that as I get closer to the draft. Is there a way for me to import a csv or do I have to manually edit from the UI?

It has to be manually edited. Because it's a projections powered system, so a list of players isn't something it can work off.

You can do this using the rankings profile feature - the wrench icon above the players list.
I don't see how I can set a team to have an adp in position order. I don't want to list players. I want to tell it: Team 1 will draft RB, RB, WR, QB. Team 2 will go WR, RB, WR, WR, etc. Then during the draft DD will know how many of each position will go between my next pick, and also overlay that over the internal ADP. 

I'm not talking about moving a slider to over value QBs for one team, nor do I want to rerank the entire player list 11 times. Just want to say 'round 1 will be RB, RB, WR, WR, QB, RB, WR, RB, QB, TE, RB, RB', etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how I can set a team to have an adp in position order. I don't want to list players. I want to tell it: Team 1 will draft RB, RB, WR, QB. Team 2 will go WR, RB, WR, WR, etc. Then during the draft DD will know how many of each position will go between my next pick, and also overlay that over the internal ADP. 

I'm not talking about moving a slider to over value QBs for one team, nor do I want to rerank the entire player list 11 times. Just want to say 'round 1 will be RB, RB, WR, WR, QB, RB, WR, RB, QB, TE, RB, RB', etc. 
I'll add this as a feature request.

It has to be manually edited. Because it's a projections powered system, so a list of players isn't something it can work off.
Ok, well I'm going into Rankings > Team 1 > Edit Players and I can't seem to see how to drag & drop to re-rank players? If I click a Player I see the slider for Projected & Upside but there seems no way in UI to move it (I'm in OS El Capitan).

What do users do if they have their own private rankings/projections for players? Surely they aren't just editing each and every player? I seem to recall you could import your own rankings/stats into previous DD? Am I misremembering? 

Or is there a way to drag/drop ranked players i'm missing?

when the sliders show, just hold down on the mouse and move the whole slider left/right to move the player up/down

Rankings can't be uploaded into the app. The app is not rankings powered; it's projections powered. If we did this based on rankings, we don't know the difference for instance between Gronkowski and Olsen at TE. And we can't modify things as the draft progresses according to roster need, or any of the other flexible rankings systems in the app.

We will definitely look into importing projections. I'd be intrigued to know how many people do their own projections so we can get an idea of priority there. Do you, Tom?

When I looked at this last week, I thought I saw Installation instructions. I can't seem to find them anywhere now.

Also, last week I thought when I clicked on the Windows button, it took me to a place where I could choose 32 or 64 bit. It was a zip file.

Now, only an .exe file to download.

The new .exe is an installer that will install either the 32 or 64 bit version. The current installer has one or two issues and will be replaced with a new one soon.

when the sliders show, just hold down on the mouse and move the whole slider left/right to move the player up/down

Rankings can't be uploaded into the app. The app is not rankings powered; it's projections powered. If we did this based on rankings, we don't know the difference for instance between Gronkowski and Olsen at TE. And we can't modify things as the draft progresses according to roster need, or any of the other flexible rankings systems in the app.

We will definitely look into importing projections. I'd be intrigued to know how many people do their own projections so we can get an idea of priority there. Do you, Tom?
Ah yeah Ok i see how to do it now. Hm that's not super intuitive UX. Any reason you don't have the traditional slider bar there? Though I guess the invidual lines represent who is ahead/behind them in rankings? 

Do I need to bother doing both projected points as well as upside or can I just adjust the PP and that will be enough to move them up/down the board.

and yeah I totally get what you are saying about it being based on stats and not rankings. i actually don't do my own ranking at all, but i'm just trying to recall the previous functionality. I know that in the old DD we do return yardage and so I would go into an internal spreadsheet within the DD and adjust some players receiving yardage to approximate how much they would get for projected return yards, so I for sure know you could do that and change players stats within DD.

The new .exe is an installer that will install either the 32 or 64 bit version. The current installer has one or two issues and will be replaced with a new one soon.
Cool...because that was my next question. Good luck with the update.

FYI...I've installed on a 64-bit Centos box and all seems good so far with the exception of connection to the FBG cloud. That might be an issue on my side however. Will keep you posted. It also fires up a little slowly. So much so that I thought it was just going to hang.

Ah yeah Ok i see how to do it now. Hm that's not super intuitive UX. Any reason you don't have the traditional slider bar there? Though I guess the invidual lines represent who is ahead/behind them in rankings? 

Do I need to bother doing both projected points as well as upside or can I just adjust the PP and that will be enough to move them up/down the board.

and yeah I totally get what you are saying about it being based on stats and not rankings. i actually don't do my own ranking at all, but i'm just trying to recall the previous functionality. I know that in the old DD we do return yardage and so I would go into an internal spreadsheet within the DD and adjust some players receiving yardage to approximate how much they would get for projected return yards, so I for sure know you could do that and change players stats within DD.
This new version does support return scoring, and we do have projections for that too.

We'll look at making the slider there clearer.

Just doing projected points will influence the start of drafts much more. Upside is only really important for players later in drafts. The app slowly switches the priority during drafts (but you can turn this off under the wrench menu above the players list)

This new version does support return scoring, and we do have projections for that too.

We'll look at making the slider there clearer.

Just doing projected points will influence the start of drafts much more. Upside is only really important for players later in drafts. The app slowly switches the priority during drafts (but you can turn this off under the wrench menu above the players list)
Oh yeah, I was only bringing up return yardage as an example of I know I could go in and manually adjust players stats in old DD (I mean, really old, like 10-years-I-was-still-on-a-Vaio-laptop-old :D  )

And thanks for update on upside that is helpful to know.

So I guess my workflow will be to just sit down for a few hours and update all the players with the latest dynasty rankings before my draft.

Btw, I work some in product development so can totally relate to your barrage of user feedback and prioritizing feature requests as well as traditional user negative reaction to any changes as old/familiar >>>>> new/strange for most users. ;)  

we're going to ask that people try this thing out before passing judgement
OK, I did a couple mock drafts with it. Overall, IMO the UI is a significant downgrade from the 'classic' version. It is much less intuitive, and makes poor use of screen real estate on a laptop. I found myself having to toggle back and forth between views frequently, something I never had to do with the classic version.

OK, I did a couple mock drafts with it. Overall, IMO the UI is a significant downgrade from the 'classic' version. It is much less intuitive, and makes poor use of screen real estate on a laptop. I found myself having to toggle back and forth between views frequently, something I never had to do with the classic version.
Ok thanks for trying it. I don't have any details there that we can action; I hear your general frustrations. But the more specific people can be the more we can adapt. A lot of people have said they like to have certain screens up and that's been noted. So the more specific you guys can be, the more we can adjust.

I'd love to see the DD Classic replaced, but for an auction this app doesn't seem to cut it. There's just not enough control of how values are being calculated, and there are some clear problems with the magic algorithms. 

For example, with my league's lineup setup and scoring, QBs are somewhat undervalued and RBs are severely undervalued ($24.25 for Gurley against a $100 cap: Cam Newton at $28, Antonio Brown at $30.75--in reality the values are probably ~$30 for Gurley, ~$30 for Newton, and ~$28 for Brown). But when I use "Position Adjustments" to move the QB weightings upward, Brown becomes even more expensive, which is the opposite of what should happen. Newton moves to $33.75 but Brown moves to $34, and Gurley to $26. Not only is increasing the QB ranking also increasing the cost of RBs and WRs, it's increasing them differentially. With the default setting, E.Elliott is worth $21.25 and D.Hopkins is worth $21, but after positional adjustment for QB, D.Hopkins is now worth more than E.Elliott ($22.50 to $22.25).

Whether I not I think these values are fair, changing the amount of money allocated to the QB position should not change the relative amount of money allocated to the RB and WR positions. RB rankings with respect to WRs should be unchanged. 

Without being able to control these behaviors I'm stuck with DD Classic for my auction drafts. And that's no great shakes; having to edit the auction.csv file to tweak position fall-offs is pretty bad. But I need predictable behavior.

I'd love to see the DD Classic replaced, but for an auction this app doesn't seem to cut it. There's just not enough control of how values are being calculated, and there are some clear problems with the magic algorithms. 

For example, with my league's lineup setup and scoring, QBs are somewhat undervalued and RBs are severely undervalued ($24.25 for Gurley against a $100 cap: Cam Newton at $28, Antonio Brown at $30.75--in reality the values are probably ~$30 for Gurley, ~$30 for Newton, and ~$28 for Brown). But when I use "Position Adjustments" to move the QB weightings upward, Brown becomes even more expensive, which is the opposite of what should happen. Newton moves to $33.75 but Brown moves to $34, and Gurley to $26. Not only is increasing the QB ranking also increasing the cost of RBs and WRs, it's increasing them differentially. With the default setting, E.Elliott is worth $21.25 and D.Hopkins is worth $21, but after positional adjustment for QB, D.Hopkins is now worth more than E.Elliott ($22.50 to $22.25).

Whether I not I think these values are fair, changing the amount of money allocated to the QB position should not change the relative amount of money allocated to the RB and WR positions. RB rankings with respect to WRs should be unchanged. 

Without being able to control these behaviors I'm stuck with DD Classic for my auction drafts. And that's no great shakes; having to edit the auction.csv file to tweak position fall-offs is pretty bad. But I need predictable behavior.
I'll see if I can replicate this. Do you get better behaviour if you first hit that wrench icon, and turn the Studs and Duds slider auto-toggle off? And then try adjusting the QBs

I'll see if I can replicate this. Do you get better behaviour if you first hit that wrench icon, and turn the Studs and Duds slider auto-toggle off? And then try adjusting the QBs
Turning off the auto-toggle doesn't have an effect. If I crank Studs and Duds all the way to the left, the numbers are the same as when the slider is at the midpoint. If I move it all the way to the right, it differentially values WRs over RBs, and RBs over QBs. Antonio Brown winds up worth $54.50 (out of $100) while Cam Newton is $33 and Todd Gurley is $33.50. 

With Studs and Duds at the right, and no position adjustments, WR VBD points from #1 to #3 at the position cost ~$0.67, RB VBD points cost ~$0.65, and QB VBD points cost ~$0.57. With Studs and Duds in the middle (or at the left), it's WR ~$0.29, RB ~$0.29, QB ~$0.28. Those numbers are close enough that you can probably attribute the differences to rounding. 

Moving the QB position slider halfway to the right with Studs and Duds at the left results in WR ~$0.33, RB ~$0.35, QB ~$0.36. Different values for these two sliders produce what to me look like unpredictable results. I don't see why adjusting QBs to be more important should ever increase the price of RBs or WRs, and certainly it shouldn't increase them differentially. 

I think the way to set auction values is to have a custom point-based VBD baseline for each position, and then create a custom curve for each position to value high VBD points over low VBD points. The cost difference between a baseline RB and one projected to score 10 VBD points should be less than the difference between one projected to score 90 and one projected to score 100, but the differential may be different at different positions. Without having control over any of this I don't think the tool can be useful for serious auction drafters. 

Like any new app, becoming familiar with it is key. Thankfully, at least for me, time is on my side here, so I'll run through a few more mocks and test out a real draft with an open mind. I must say, taking a quick glance at the player pool in the classic version and seeing my brief notes was nice. I can work around this in the new version but it takes some extra clicks, not a deal breaker. The one thing I do miss however, is being able to look at my projected stats, in relation to the other teams during the draft. Perhaps I'm missing it, perhaps it's no longer an option, perhaps the new algorithms take this into consideration behind the scenes, but I used to use this to quickly identify any deficiencies that I may have and then try to add some depth.

CalBear said:
Turning off the auto-toggle doesn't have an effect. If I crank Studs and Duds all the way to the left, the numbers are the same as when the slider is at the midpoint. If I move it all the way to the right, it differentially values WRs over RBs, and RBs over QBs. Antonio Brown winds up worth $54.50 (out of $100) while Cam Newton is $33 and Todd Gurley is $33.50. 

With Studs and Duds at the right, and no position adjustments, WR VBD points from #1 to #3 at the position cost ~$0.67, RB VBD points cost ~$0.65, and QB VBD points cost ~$0.57. With Studs and Duds in the middle (or at the left), it's WR ~$0.29, RB ~$0.29, QB ~$0.28. Those numbers are close enough that you can probably attribute the differences to rounding. 

Moving the QB position slider halfway to the right with Studs and Duds at the left results in WR ~$0.33, RB ~$0.35, QB ~$0.36. Different values for these two sliders produce what to me look like unpredictable results. I don't see why adjusting QBs to be more important should ever increase the price of RBs or WRs, and certainly it shouldn't increase them differentially. 

I think the way to set auction values is to have a custom point-based VBD baseline for each position, and then create a custom curve for each position to value high VBD points over low VBD points. The cost difference between a baseline RB and one projected to score 10 VBD points should be less than the difference between one projected to score 90 and one projected to score 100, but the differential may be different at different positions. Without having control over any of this I don't think the tool can be useful for serious auction drafters. 
While I completely agree that changing the QB slider shouldn't differentially affect other positions, there are serious difficulties with that suggested approach. I am an extremely serious auction drafter and confident that our algorithm is optimal. David Dodds uses it annually at the FFPC auctions. But I think you've discovered a bug here that I'm going to dig into and figure out. I understand that being able to make changes and see them reflected properly in the auction results is key to being able to trust the system. We'll get it fixed.

Is there a way, or will there be a way to do a MFL import of rosters for keeper/dynasty leagues?  That would be a nice bonus.  Otherwise I love this app!

I have an Asus Transformer tablet running Windows 10, it's about three years old & it has plenty of room to add this app. I've already been running classic DD on it, but it won't install the new app. Have any idea why?

First, thanks for all of the work on the app, much appreciated.

One problem I'm encountering is that the percentages in the Projections Used section are adding up to more than 100%. For example, if I try to get the player rankings to use all 4 projections equally it displays 26% for each projector.

I have an Asus Transformer tablet running Windows 10, it's about three years old & it has plenty of room to add this app. I've already been running classic DD on it, but it won't install the new app. Have any idea why?
new installer coming soon. that should resolve that issue.

First, thanks for all of the work on the app, much appreciated.

One problem I'm encountering is that the percentages in the Projections Used section are adding up to more than 100%. For example, if I try to get the player rankings to use all 4 projections equally it displays 26% for each projector.
I think it's just rounding all the numbers up erroneously. Don't worry - it won't affect the final numbers (it's an individual display error; it doesn't mean that you're running 104% of projections)

A few questions:

1) Bonus distance scoring - I've read the instructions and it says there is an option to turn on distance scoring that will "split the 'Pts per Touchdown' field into 6 different fields." I've looked everywhere and know I must be looking past it. Can you point me to exactly where I can turn on this option?

Edit: I think I figured this out but it doesn't work the way explained in the instructions. I don't see an option that splits Pts/TD into 6 fields but I can add a custom rule to give extra points based on min and max yards. Is that correct?

2) Custom ADP. With the classic app I could import a custom ADP based on my leagues past history of when positions come off the board. This is a VERY important option IMO that allows the projections to be accurate. Where can I import a custom ADP in the new app?

3) What is the difference between VBD Start and VBD Bnch? I'm used to seeing just one VBD number.

4) Where the draft clock? In the classic version I can define how many minutes per pick and it will display a countdown clock.

Awesome thread Simon, thank you for this.  Used the app last year for my auction league and made it to the Championship. Was the strongest, deepest team all season. Cant wait to dig into this again this season. 

I am trying to install on Win10 and get "The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program."

That pretty much ends everything for me. :(

RR

Is there a way to rename profiles in the rankings drop down?  Looks like I can delete them and create them, but not rename them?

Also I can go in a edit the projected points for each player in each profile, but is there a way to save a set of projections for a profile to use later?

Thanks, I am enjoying using the new version.  Its an improvement over the old for what I use it for.  I found the old one to be a bit clunky.

Looks to be working now.   Thanks Simon.

On a side note,  I just want to thank you for your continued hard work and effort to improve this product.   While the new DD tool may or may not be "there" yet I don't think anyone can question your guys attempt to this product forward and continue on innovate.    You and the team at Footballguys take a beating on these boards a lot of the time but I for one think a lot of great work is being done here and appreciate the resources and tools provided.

Cheers!

Thanks for the work. I'm slowly warming up to it. I do like the cloud.

Is there a video tutorial showing all the capabilities & explaining the different options? Or do we just have to play with it to figure it out?

Is there a way to sign out of the cloud on pc? 

And, can leagues be removed? I set up one to test but don't really need it. 

Users who are viewing this thread