What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jack Reacher (1 Viewer)

If Channing Tatum were about 2 or 3 inches taller...  Although he is probably too young.

Is acting ability required?
If you have read the books, yes, it would take some or whoever played the character would not ring true to fans or viewers (much like Tom Cruise didn't, although for a completely different reason). Reacher is not a one-dimensional Hulk like character that could be played by any dumb jock or athlete who is 6'5'' and has the physical build. He is intelligent, analytical and quietly conveys an intimidating presence or a menacing undercurrent without being a bully.

The photos I always see of Gronk off the field, he looks like a partying frat boy. There is a certain amount of gravitas that would be required of anyone undertaking the Reacher role and I kind of doubt he would meet that threshold. I did read that Gronk wants to pursue an acting career when his playing days are over, but based on this fake trailer he did for "A Gronking to Remember" he has, um, quite a ways to go: https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/7/15/8970547/rob-gronkowski-a-gronking-to-remember-patriots-nfl-funny-or-die-trailer

Joe Manganiello or Josh Duhamel would be good.

We missed one obvious choice for Reacher, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson.  Although I believe Reacher is Caucasian, but is that actually stated in the books?  I also think the Rock is too big for a TV series, as in too A-list.  

Idris Elba, Joseph Manganiello, and Alexander Skarsgård were mentioned on the CrimeReads site.  
Maybe I should have read the thread through first.

If you have read the books, yes, it would take some or whoever played the character would not ring true to fans or viewers (much like Tom Cruise didn't, although for a completely different reason). Reacher is not a one-dimensional Hulk like character that could be played by any dumb jock or athlete who is 6'5'' and has the physical build. He is intelligent, analytical and quietly conveys an intimidating presence or a menacing undercurrent without being a bully.

The photos I always see of Gronk off the field, he looks like a partying frat boy. There is a certain amount of gravitas that would be required of anyone undertaking the Reacher role and I kind of doubt he would meet that threshold. I did read that Gronk wants to pursue an acting career when his playing days are over, but based on this fake trailer he did for "A Gronking to Remember" he has, um, quite a ways to go: https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/7/15/8970547/rob-gronkowski-a-gronking-to-remember-patriots-nfl-funny-or-die-trailer
I've read one of the books ... Cruise was overqualified acting-wise.  Understand that he didn't fit the physical description, but - and I hate to break it to you - Martin Freeman is not a Hobbit, but did a pretty good job with the Tolkien character.  If you can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy Child's books, Cruise really shouldn't have been a problem.  

I've read one of the books ... Cruise was overqualified acting-wise.  Understand that he didn't fit the physical description, but - and I hate to break it to you - Martin Freeman is not a Hobbit, but did a pretty good job with the Tolkien character.  If you can suspend disbelief enough to enjoy Child's books, Cruise really shouldn't have been a problem.  
Perhaps not too closely. Cruise was overqualified acting-wise? Hardly, maybe misqualified. as besides miserably failing the physical description, his Reacher personality was more from a typical Cruise vehicle than what from what readers and fans expected and his attempt came across as just another Cruise film.

As far as the new series is concerned, you just can't plug in any actor who matches the physical description but can't act sufficiently to capture the Reacher persona and expect the series to work, beacuse it won't.

Imagine Tom Cruises swinging thru the trees in a loincloth as Tarzan, or battling a lion as Hercules, well this is no different.  If you read the Reacher books you get how silly it was to have Tom Cruise as the 6-5 260  monster that is Jack Reacher.

Overqualified?  Ah...not even close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reacher talks about trying to look as small as he could on the road hitch hiking.

There is talk of a chair he can barely fit in at a school.

Tons of comments about his power with size in the books.

Here is a big  bad dude..........are the Jack Reacher novels.

The beauty of Lee Child's writing is the time frames bounce around. Sometimes Reacher is still an MP, sometimes he's post Army doing his nomad thing. There are short stories of him in his teens. Also, he alternates between first and third person book to book. I'm sure eventually we'll get old Reacher too.

Yes he was demoted.
IMHO you need an actor who can look mid/late thirties to fifty, depending on where in his timeline the series would be. If you want to include Joe Reacher's story arcs, then you need two (one of which is very square cut and without any beard).

Given that Reacher only travels with a toothbrush, cash, passport (and later an atm card), he's unlikely to be clean shaven

ETA: The demotion was for the dent in the desk IIRC :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
How about using Jon Bernthal (Shane from walking dead and Frank castle from Punisher) as Reacher?

Little young, but does the rough and scrappy part really well as the punisher. 
I love the look, and age seems fine for the younger stories, but he's just not very big.

Oh - what about Joe Manganiello?  Dude's huge.  Had no idea until I saw him in person, but he's professional wrestler-sized.

Users who are viewing this thread