What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

'Jackass' star Ryan Dunn killed in car accident (1 Viewer)

Harry, if you put down 2 beers in under an hour and leave the bar immediately after finishing number 2, You're right around .08. It doesn't take much to get to .08.
Thats what I was getting at. I think for most people who drink somewhat regularly, .08 is nothing. Having a .19 BAC is pretty much watching a football game, having 4 beers, 2 shots, and then driving home - within the speed limit. If you can handle your booze, 6 drinks over 4 hours aint that much.
In college we kept a breathalyzer around because I had a couple buddies who needed to know when they were blowing 0s the following afternoon if they had a random BA because they were on DUI probation. We were all heavy drinkers, and typically after a night of heavy drinking (15 to 20 drinks over 6 hours or so) we would be blowing right around a .20 give or take (all weighing in the 160 to 200 range). To get to a .08 it would probably take 5 or 6 drinks over an hour or two for me at 190 lbs. He was drunk and he was acting like a drunk.
I wanst trying to defend Dunn, moreso the BAC level theorem, which based on the bolded, still boggles my mind. Having 15 drinks over 6 hours sounds like a much more drunken state than 6 drinks over 2 hours (and I know from experience)...and after I put my "footbal game" theory into that calculator, I guess it makes more sense.

15-20 drinks overnight (or 6 hours) just strikes me as more like .30 territory than .19......dude must have been plastered
.3 is like super-duper barely functioning drunk. Probably too drunk to even get to the car and turn it on.

how is it that a few drinks over a couple hours throws you into +.08 territory then?! I dont get it.
Your body metabolizes alcohol. If I remember right, it's about .02 BAC per hour or close to 1 beer or shot. The longer you spread out the drinking the less it would raise your BAC. Technically if you drank one beer an hour, you could down a 24 pack in a day an never have your BAC go above .03

'Kenny Powers said:
how is it that a few drinks over a couple hours throws you into +.08 territory then?! I dont get it.
There is more math involved than just a few drinks over a couple of hours. Height weight and sex all play a part.

Wow, that's life. Dunn came off as a likable guy so that makes it more of a bummer for many, it seems. Always thought Bam was a complete doosh...and his crash interview pretty much seals it.

Bam is a doosh, I think most people would agree. But what in the hell makes you say he's a doosh from an interview he did about one of his best friends being dead.

Telling people how much of a friend he was to him and telling people how good a guy he was(which may or may not be true) makes him a doosh to you. Didn't he say he was like a brother to him. You think he's thinking about being in the spotlight right there?

Telling people how much of a friend he was to him and telling people how good a guy he was(which may or may not be true) makes him a doosh to you. Didn't he say he was like a brother to him. You think he's thinking about being in the spotlight right there?
I don't remember where (or when) I saw it, but I remember an interview with Bam that basically said he was utterly lost in high school and didn't think he would have finished or maybe even lived if he hadn't met Ryan Dunn. So yeah they were tight. Bam clearly has monster problems and is a big time narcissist. But it reminds me of sports stars... What incentive has the guy ever had to be otherwise? He's made tens of millions by flaunting responsibility and being volatile/on the edge. So was Dunn, so are all of those guys. I don't think those guys would be in the positions they are in if they switched on that behavior only when the cameras are on, and I think they are all enabled to push the envelop further. After seeing the 2nd Jackass, I thought it was a matter of time until one of those guys dies in a stunt. Unfortunately, like any addiction, you have to realize the need to kick it. The more you're surrounded by people who egg you on and the more you derive your sense of sense and contentment from the thrill, the more you're only going to stop when you hit rock bottom or are dead.

Has PJ Clapp said anything publically?
Johnny Knoxville has paid tribute to his 'Jackass' co-star Ryan Dunn, who died in a car crash yesterday. The 40-year-old star hailed Ryan - whose car flew over a guardrail on Route 322, hitting a tree before bursting into flames at around 3am - as his "brother" on social networking site twitter, adding he "loved" him. He wrote: "Today I lost my brother Ryan Dunn. My heart goes out to his family and his beloved Angie. RIP Ryan , I love you buddy.(sic)"

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read they had a private memorial service and Mac and Dennis from "It's Always Sunny..." were on hand, along with Knoxville, Bam, and the CKY crew.

'jonessed said:
'Thunderlips said:
I don't understand the need for some people to "dance on the grave" of the recently deceased to make a point about the manner in which the deceased have led their life, or in this case, died. I don't think there's anyone here who would or could defend Dunn's reckless behavior. Nor do I think there's anyone who either hasn't engaged in reckless behavior that could have led to their death or is close to someone who has done it.
There are clearly varying degrees of "reckless behavior". What this guy did was incredibly selfish. Not only did he kill his friend, but he easily could have killed others.I have certainly done some stupid things where I could have injured myself and caused emotional harm to people who loved me, but I would never get hammered and drive 130MPH down a public road. That is simply detestable.I would have more sympathy if he was young. The mental aspect of being young and invincible is something that is simply a product of a maturing brain. Not that it's acceptable, but there is at least something there. Dunn was 34. Old enough and smart enough to know better. I'm not going to celebrate his death, but I'm certainly not going to mourn over it. I'll save my sympathy for those that have had life taken from them. Dunn threw his away.
Reminds me of a quote I saw one time, and always liked. Now, I'm paraphrasing..."The hardest thing for a person to do is grow up. Some don't have the courage."

RIP Dunn. easily my favorite from the Jackass crew. "It's cactii!"

part of me thinks that this will effectively end the Jackass franchise for good. I don't see them having the heart to continue on without Dunn.

'jonessed said:
'Thunderlips said:
I don't understand the need for some people to "dance on the grave" of the recently deceased to make a point about the manner in which the deceased have led their life, or in this case, died. I don't think there's anyone here who would or could defend Dunn's reckless behavior. Nor do I think there's anyone who either hasn't engaged in reckless behavior that could have led to their death or is close to someone who has done it.
There are clearly varying degrees of "reckless behavior". What this guy did was incredibly selfish. Not only did he kill his friend, but he easily could have killed others.I have certainly done some stupid things where I could have injured myself and caused emotional harm to people who loved me, but I would never get hammered and drive 130MPH down a public road. That is simply detestable.

I would have more sympathy if he was young. The mental aspect of being young and invincible is something that is simply a product of a maturing brain. Not that it's acceptable, but there is at least something there. Dunn was 34. Old enough and smart enough to know better. I'm not going to celebrate his death, but I'm certainly not going to mourn over it. I'll save my sympathy for those that have had life taken from them. Dunn threw his away.
When I heard the news I immediately thought of a few good men "You can't handle the truth" scene.

You weep for Santiago, and you curse the marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives.

I was furious when I hear Ebert had to issue an apology for the Tweet he made in reference to the death. Let society not teach the lesson that if you drink and drive you are a dumb### and will get yourself, or worse, someone else killed. No, instead, we pay millions of dollars to watch these people do stupid things and expect others not to do the same thing.

part of me thinks that this will effectively end the Jackass franchise for good. I don't see them having the heart to continue on without Dunn.
You kidding? This is going to inspire those nutjobs to do even wackier crap
Inspire??
I dont know what Dunn's big bits were, but you would be surprised to see someone like Steve O throw himself off a building in a shopping cart or some #### like that in honor of his fallen brother?

:confused: What else are they going to do?
let's see...Dunn just died.

Bam's best friend just died.

Steve-O is clean and working on a comedy tour.

Knoxville is 40 and doing movies.

The rest of the guys are all in their mid-30's (except Preston, who's over 40), with a lot of mileage from all of the physical stunts.

I can see Tremaine trying to get them all together for one last big hurrah, but he's pushing 45 and might be over it too, especially after losing Dunn. I think it's more likely that they all continue to focus on their other projects and side gigs. but like I said, it's just my feeling. I hope I'm wrong, actually.

The rest of the guys are all in their mid-30's (except Preston, who's over 40), with a lot of mileage from all of the physical stunts.

I can see Tremaine trying to get them all together for one last big hurrah, but he's pushing 45 and might be over it too, especially after losing Dunn. I think it's more likely that they all continue to focus on their other projects and side gigs. but like I said, it's just my feeling. I hope I'm wrong, actually.
All these guys were making skate videos well before Jackass, or before they were making any money doing it. Now they are all executive producers of a huge production company and print cash with every idea good (Jackass movies) or bad (Viva La Bam)one. They aren't just going to close up shop.Steve-O and Knoxville both did other projects before and after Jackass. With Bam's crew they have been doing this stuff together their entire lives.

This is one of the most non-PC crews of all time. It wouldn't surprise me to see them open Jackass 4 with them all in a van doing 120 on the autobahn.

Once upon a time, Knoxville was just another nobody editor for Big Brother magazine. Then he came up with the idea of testing self defense equipment on himself for one of their videos. The stunt ended with Knoxville shooting himself in a bulletproof vest at close range with a pistol.

When sales of the CKY and Big Brother videos started to take off, MTV brought the two groups together for Jackass. The rest is history.

All these guys were making skate videos well before Jackass, or before they were making any money doing it. Now they are all executive producers of a huge production company and print cash with every idea good (Jackass movies) or bad (Viva La Bam)one. They aren't just going to close up shop.Steve-O and Knoxville both did other projects before and after Jackass. With Bam's crew they have been doing this stuff together their entire lives.
what part of "Jackass franchise" didn't you get? I said they would continue their other projects. obviously they're not all going to live in caves as hermits.

This is one of the most non-PC crews of all time. It wouldn't surprise me to see them open Jackass 4 with them all in a van doing 120 on the autobahn.
They hold on to the top of the van by the windows for this stunt. CKY2K.

what part of "Jackass franchise" didn't you get? I said they would continue their other projects. obviously they're not all going to live in caves as hermits.
Everything they do is part of the Jackass franchise, none of them could ever shed this label. Jackass was just the label that stuck. Mourning is not going to change that.

They hold on to the top of the van by the windows for this stunt. CKY2K.
and the van is on fire and they race through the Blackforest.

People deliberately hurt other's feelings in here pretty regularly and it's not just a handful of people that do it.

You disagree with the way some people are approaching this. Fine. So do I. Some of the off-the-cuff comments are distasteful, but let's not blow it out of proportion. It would be interesting to have a forum where everyone is sweet and sensetive to each other, but if that forum exists, it sure as hell isn't here. If Joe wants to change that then he can, but I doubt he will. It would be a lot of work.
I'm not blowing it out of proportion, nor did I ever single anyone out. In fact, I think I was pretty clear earlier that I was talking not about any one poster or one thread, but the propensity of some individuals in general to post mocking comments in threads dealing with death. I'm not saying anything needs to be changed vis-a-vis modding, just wondering aloud why some folks feel the need to do this, and wondering what they get out of being intentionally insensitive and inflammatory.
Have you seriously never read any threads announcing a death before? Reagan, Ted Kennedy, Michael Jackson, etc.?
How do I make this more clear? I have seen this "phemonenon" before. I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now. If I was posting here when Tupac and Biggie were shot, I might have thought that their "gangster" lifestyles made such a thing all but inevitable, but I probably wouldn't have chosen to air that opinion in their death threads. I also probably wouldn't have felt the need to attach :lmao: smileys to it. I know that it happens and has been happening for some time, and probably always WILL happen, I guess I'm just trying to understand what compels people to do it.
The vast majority of the time the reason people do this is because it's an easy way for them to temporarily improve their self esteem.

Not sure if this was posted yet.

Bam himself said that he had wrecked six of other people's cars and three of his own and that he was scared of dying when in a car with him. It was a matter of time before he killed himself and it was lucky he didn't take anyone else besides the passenger with him. So yeah, I think the world is better off without him in it endangering the lives of other people.

Johnny Knoxville has paid tribute to his 'Jackass' co-star Ryan Dunn, who died in a car crash yesterday. The 40-year-old star hailed Ryan - whose car flew over a guardrail on Route 322, hitting a tree before bursting into flames at around 3am - as his "brother" on social networking site twitter, adding he "loved" him. He wrote: "Today I lost my brother Ryan Dunn. My heart goes out to his family and his beloved Angie. RIP Ryan , I love you buddy.(sic)"
Who'd have thunk one of the classiest comments comes from Johnny Knoxville.

Why is this surprising? Knoxville has always been a class act.

:goodposting:

It's not so much as surprising that Knoxville was classy, but rather how dooshy so many others have been.

"I love you buddy.(sic)"
what is misspelled here? I don't get why they added in the (sic) disclaimer.
To this day, I still dont know what the #### (sic) is supposed to mean.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SicI thought it meant there was a mispelling and that the error was not due to transcription, but apparently that's not the only use.
Hmm, still don't know what it means and I'm not gonna go read all about it. :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread