What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

James Cameron: Director Hall of Fame **VOTE HERE** (1 Viewer)

What movie should James Cameron go into the Movie HOF with?

• The Terminator

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • T2: Judgment Day

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • Titanic

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • True Lies

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • The Abyss

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Aliens

Votes: 25 24.8%

Votes: 7 6.9%

• Total voters
Saw a teaser trailer for Avatar 2 and it looks amazing. I cant wait! I know its not the best written movie but the original Avatar was a feast for the eyes and great action movie!

IMO, while Aliens is a great movie, I don't think that should be considered his master work based on the fact that he didn't launch the series and Aliens was a sequel. I would also wonder if T2 has a similar issue, as the framework and characters were developed in The Terminator.

I'll respectfully disagree on this, as I think it's even more a testament to how good he is that he was able to build on a masterpiece and come up with something that was universally beloved, even netting Sigourney an Oscar nomination, almost unheard of for a sci-fi/horror. 

Just take a look at any of the other Alien related films to see how other directors failed - even Ridley Scott came back to the franchise and botched it. IMO Cameron's had a terrific career but in some ways this could almost be his crowning achievement, matching one of the best sci-fi horror films in history step for step. No one expects the sequel to measure up to the original, but this one does. 

Saw a teaser trailer for Avatar 2 and it looks amazing. I cant wait! I know its not the best written movie but the original Avatar was a feast for the eyes and great action movie!
Thinking an Avatar sequel is necessary us like eating a bag of Skittles and thinking "hmmm...needs more sugar."

I think it looks like a worse Aquaman.

It’s certainly not my favorite Cameron film, but Titanic.

All I remember is that the hype for it was real.  The pressure on Cameron was enormous.  He walked the walk by actually going down to view the Titanic dozens of time I believe.

Then when the movie came out, it became a global phenomenon.  Fact is, of all his movies, really the only one that truly crossed over and appealed to women.
This is so true. My parents have been to the movies ONCE in my lifetime. What did they go see? Titanic. 

Thinking an Avatar sequel is necessary us like eating a bag of Skittles and thinking "hmmm...needs more sugar."

I think it looks like a worse Aquaman.
Who said it was necessary? Its a movie. It was the highest grossing movie of all time. I enjoyed it. Millions of people enjoyed it. Not everything in life needs to be analyzed to death. You think the trailer looks bad, dont go see it. Simple solution.

Who said it was necessary? Its a movie. It was the highest grossing movie of all time. I enjoyed it. Millions of people enjoyed it. Not everything in life needs to be analyzed to death. You think the trailer looks bad, dont go see it. Simple solution.
I won't. But I can opine on the trailer, can't I?

But yeah, "necessary" wasn't a good word choice there. 

I don't think CGI will ever get good enough to get me out of the Uncanny Valley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, this is tough. Titanic was an incredible spectacle, and an absolute phenomenon,  but if I never see it again, it wouldn'tbother me. I loved Avatar, it's the only film I've seen more than once in the theater since I reached adulthood (chronologically). Aliens has my vote as the single greatest horror/sci-fi/action mashup ever, and it's the one I've seen most recently (let my 10-yr old son watch Alien and Aliens on back-to-back weekends recently and loved every minute). Terminator was also great and made excellent use of a relatively unknown Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Ultimately I voted for T2. At the time it was released it was as just as big of a deal as Titanic, but pre-internet. It has aged well, the effects were insane, and it took the premise of Terminator and cranked it up to 11 while again making excellent use of Ahnold, who by then was a global superstar. Spectacular character actor Robert Patrick, a ripped and pissed off Linda Hamilton and a criminally underrated Edward Furlong rounded out a cast that was pitch-perfect. 

I cannot think of another director that I would have a more difficult choice with.

Voted Titanic over both Terminators.

I've seen Avatar but honestly couldn't tell you a thing about it now.  And now there are going to be sequels?

I've liked all of his movies and looked forward to whenever a new one was being released. I sort of regret Avatar because he spent so much time and effort on it. Effort that could have been utilized on other projects. Though I like Avatar I dont think it matches most of his other films or again the effort and time put into it.

Avatar 2 sounds like the most beautiful three hours of anti-capitalistic sermonizing you'll ever see. I can't see being anything but annoyed by the film.

Avatar 2 sounds like the most beautiful three hours of anti-capitalistic sermonizing you'll ever see. I can't see being anything but annoyed by the film.
Lol. I honestly was not a fan of the first one. Sure, it looked great but the story and characters were just not anywhere on the same level as the visuals. The ads for this one don’t make me feel like this one will be anything different outside of they are in water this time.

Not really. It's one of the most mind melting experiences I have ever had a theater. It blows the original away.

Not tough to do since the first one was awful ;)
I sort of agree. I only saw the first one a couple months ago when it was re-released to theaters. I thought it was a cool novelty and understood the hype but wasn’t blown away. This time, I was blown away.

Not really. It's one of the most mind melting experiences I have ever had a theater. It blows the original away.
Not tough to do since the first one was awful ;)

One of my awakening moments about how odd people can be was here regarding this film. I was trashing it and it became clear we had someone that was legitimately hypnotized by the movie seeing it 40+ times and internalized it as real. It was wild.

The movie itself was absolute trash and wouldn't consider for a second the new one on account of that. Not even on a plane.

One of my awakening moments about how odd people can be was here regarding this film. I was trashing it and it became clear we had someone that was legitimately hypnotized by the movie seeing it 40+ times and internalized it as real. It was wild.

The movie itself was absolute trash and wouldn't consider for a second the new one on account of that. Not even on a plane.
I totally get it. It is oddly comparable to Top Gun Maverick. There is a real case to be made for both that the original isn't good. One might have enjoyed the FX and had some nostalgia, but it's not really good. However, the sequel is substantially a better movie. Avatar 2 is long and it's a big commitment but the last hour is one of the wildest action/battle scenes I've ever seen. The payoff delivered for me. Visually, it makes Marvel movies look like they were made by 10 year olds.

I totally get it. It is oddly comparable to Top Gun Maverick. There is a real case to be made for both that the original isn't good. One might have enjoyed the FX and had some nostalgia, but it's not really good. However, the sequel is substantially a better movie. Avatar 2 is long and it's a big commitment but the last hour is one of the wildest action/battle scenes I've ever seen. The payoff delivered for me. Visually, it makes Marvel movies look like they were made by 10 year olds.
I watched TG Maverick on a plane, btw.

Well maybe I can live with that. I mean, the villain of the Alien movies is Weyland-Yutani Industries so...
It certainly is pro-environment, etc. The villains are burning down villages and targeting whale mothers with new born babies so it's a very black and white world of good vs evil. It's cartoonish really. The biggest plot is really the military is targeting Jake Sully and his family for death and they have to fight to survive. It is far from a perfect movie but the world is incredible in 3D and the final hour long naval battle is some of the best action you will ever see.

Also I've seen some lefty reviewers on the internet whining that it was too conservative so that is a good sign that it maybe struck a decent balance.

Politics in movies has been there since the start. IMO it's not the movies that have changed much at all, it's the constant bombardment of politics that people get on their phones and other places and people have a way lower threshold when watching a movie because that is even more now an escape.

Politics in movies has been there since the start. IMO it's not the movies that have changed much at all, it's the constant bombardment of politics that people get on their phones and other places and people have a way lower threshold when watching a movie because that is even more now an escape.
Go back to the early 1940s and tell me politics didn't have a role in movies.

It's a good day!

Arriving on March 12, 2024, new on 4K Ultra HD + Blu-rays are special editions of three of Cameron’s most popular feature films:

• Aliens 4K Collector’s Edition
  • The Abyss 4K Collector’s Edition
  • True Lies 4K Collector’s Edition

Available in 4K Digital, some for the first time ever, on Dec. 12, 2023, at digital retailers including Prime Video, Apple TV and Fandango/Vudu:

• Aliens Collector’s Edition
  • The Abyss Collector’s Edition
  • True Lies Collector’s Edition
  • Avatar: The Way of Water Collector’s Edition
And... 100GB discs with Dolby Vision! Which means these will look fantastic!

Last edited:
Cameron is in that George Lucas mold for me as a director whose technical innovations strike me as more meaningful than his artistic contributions. For me, Aliens is a pretty clear pick for his best and most rewatchable movie.

Users who are viewing this thread