What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Javon Walker is a CANCER! (1 Viewer)

EbTide73

Footballguy
FROM FBG: Javon Walker runs a no-route, with stiff-arm for Packers

Summary:: What part of "no" don't the Green Bay Packers understand?

In an interview Tuesday morning, Javon Walker's stepfather said not money, not the passage of time and not the retirement of Brett Favre could change the wide receiver's aversion for the team that drafted him in the first round in 2002.

"They could give him a $15 million signing bonus and he would decline it," Charles Goldsmith said. "I think everybody is thinking it's going to blow over and Javon's going to show up. He's not showing up. I mean, he is absolutely not showing up. Period. At all."

During a 35-minute conversation, there were 23 occasions in which Goldsmith categorically and almost matter-of-factly said Walker's days as a Packer were over.

Last month, Goldsmith sat next to Walker when he discussed his future with coach Mike McCarthy for about half an hour.

"He said, 'It has nothing to do with you,'" Goldsmith said. "He said, 'I don't want to play in Green Bay ever again and I'm not coming back.' He said, 'If you force me to come back, you're really going to have a terrible cancer on your hands.'

Our View: Not much to add after that last line above. We believe Javon Walker won't play for the Packers in 2006. He will likely be traded as he could show up in week 10 to earn the year and become a free agent. We doubt the Packers are going to want this distraction all year though.

All i can say is, "WHAT A JERK". Before there was the talk of Vince Youngs Wonderlic score, there was Javon Walker's Wonderlic score. He is an IDIOT! Without a Brett Favre type arm he is just another "in-the-middle-of-the-pack" receiver like Robert Brooks and Donald Driver. :hot: :hot: :hot: :rant:

FROM FBG: Javon Walker runs a no-route, with stiff-arm for Packers

Summary:: What part of "no" don't the Green Bay Packers understand?

In an interview Tuesday morning, Javon Walker's stepfather said not money, not the passage of time and not the retirement of Brett Favre could change the wide receiver's aversion for the team that drafted him in the first round in 2002.

"They could give him a $15 million signing bonus and he would decline it," Charles Goldsmith said. "I think everybody is thinking it's going to blow over and Javon's going to show up. He's not showing up. I mean, he is absolutely not showing up. Period. At all."

During a 35-minute conversation, there were 23 occasions in which Goldsmith categorically and almost matter-of-factly said Walker's days as a Packer were over.

Last month, Goldsmith sat next to Walker when he discussed his future with coach Mike McCarthy for about half an hour.

"He said, 'It has nothing to do with you,'" Goldsmith said. "He said, 'I don't want to play in Green Bay ever again and I'm not coming back.' He said, 'If you force me to come back, you're really going to have a terrible cancer on your hands.'

Our View: Not much to add after that last line above. We believe Javon Walker won't play for the Packers in 2006. He will likely be traded as he could show up in week 10 to earn the year and become a free agent. We doubt the Packers are going to want this distraction all year though.

All i can say is, "WHAT A JERK".  Before there was the talk of Vince Youngs Wonderlic score, there was Javon Walker's Wonderlic score.  He is an IDIOT!  Without a Brett Favre type arm he is just another "in-the-middle-of-the-pack" receiver like Robert Brooks and Donald Driver. :hot:   :hot:   :hot:   :rant:
LOL at people calling out Favre last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really can't put Walkers name in the same sentence as TO, only player I can find some similiarity to TO is Ryan Leaf, they're twins, just TO ended up with all the talent.

I think he got completely hosed by the Packers last year when he deserved a deal. I'd be saying the same things.

$20,000,000.00 body, 10 cent head.

The cancer here is is Walker's entourage. With his step dad, and then Rosenhaus, and now his new agent and friends whispering in his ear how he has been getting disrespected by being thus far held to the contract he begged for he has come to believe it. Had he had people around him saying he was lucky to be in a pass happy offense with Favre pulling the trigger, and that he would be in line for a huge pay day and legendary status if he just waited his turn until this year to renegotiate, when the Packers actually had cap space, he would be a very rich man on track for a HOF career. Instead he is just a sad malcontent who is costing himself money. Sadly for me as a Packer fan and a Javon Walker fan he has hurt both himself and the team I root for.

We call Walker greedy all the time, I remember at this time last year seeing what other WRS were making 2 or 3 or 4 times more money than Walker, and yes there were some major scrubs. This year how can Randle El make 6 times more than Walker? I'd be pissed too.

I really can't put Walkers name in the same sentence as TO, only player I can find some similiarity to TO is Ryan Leaf, they're twins, just TO ended up with all the talent.
I can. Walker is just earlier in the process than TO is now.

Surely Walker is entitled to his opinion but should also expect any public repercussions.

But I would also question the Packers for trying to force a player to play for them who clearly doesn't want to be there. The Packers should try to trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick and if they cannot get that, just release him. If they wanted to be jerks about it, they could release him at the end of August when most teams are already up against the cap.

I can. Walker is just earlier in the process than TO is now.
We'll take this jerk in Seattle.

He may be a jerk, but he will get his way because he has talent.

He'll get onto a new team with a contract much larger than he has now.

And what will Green Bay get? Maybe a 2nd round pick at best. Good job Green Bay. Way to keep your players happy. If you would've paid up market value for him, there would've been no stink whatsoever.

But I guess you showed the rest of the players that you wont restructure contracts huh? You'll just let other teams pay your top players what they're worth.

:lmao:

I think he got completely hosed by the Packers last year when he deserved a deal. I'd be saying the same things.
How dare GB not redo his rookie deal with 2 years left after he produced one good year....

I think he got completely hosed by the Packers last year when he deserved a deal.  I'd be saying the same things.
How dare GB not redo his rookie deal with 2 years left after he produced one good year....
It's a two-way street. Don't expect a player to put everything he has into winning a championship for a franchise if the franchise is not willing to recpricate the same devotion to the player.

Childish fools like this deserve it when bad things happen to them.

Here's to hoping his career goes down the toilet. :banned:

I think he got completely hosed by the Packers last year when he deserved a deal.  I'd be saying the same things.
It's a two-way street. Don't expect a player to put everything he has into winning a championship for a franchise if the franchise is not willing to recpricate the same devotion to the player.
Agreed. But don't sign a contract which is top heavy with boat loads of guaranteed money up front unless you plan on serving out the full extent of the contract.

If you would've paid up market value for him, there would've been no stink whatsoever.
They did pay market value for him. In fact at his request they structured a contract slightly unusual at the time and for slightly more than his slotted (read market) value.The facts are that the Packers treated Javon Walker as being above market value once, and they had intimated that they would do so again this year with one year remaining. This was and is their custom with young and rising stars. Walker, though, ignored the fact that the Packers had already overpaid him on the contract he was on, and demanded a renegotiation in a year when the Packers had no salary cap space which had already caused them to release two highly coveted guards. It was foolish of him to demand a renegotiation under the circumstances. Only an idiot demands what is not available.

Gas has been thrown on this fire by the misinformed, or those who are purposely ignoring facts. Plenty of people are saying how little he is getting paid in the current year forgetting that his yearly salary is only part of his wages. They purposely ignore his signing bonus that has already prepaid him for his services this year, and they ignore his bonus schedule. By doing so they can make his pay seem outlandish by today's standards, but they have created a straw man argument. Every player at the tail end of contract, no matter how big a star, is always underpaid in relation to new inflated contracts. They know this when they sign their contracts but they take the security of the signing bonus over the uncertainty of future years.

Finally, arguing that the Packers, or any team for that matter, should allow first round talent that actually panned out (a 50/50 proposition at best) to escape for a 2nd or 3rd round choice just because they claim unhappiness is setting a very dangerous precedent for the future of the sport. The nature of the sport requires some team cohesiveness, and some normalization of talent value. If players can skew their value to their teams in this fashion the sport will be ruined.

The Packers are not a team that has ever tried to save salary against the cap. Unlike the Vikings or other small market teams before, the Packers have no owners trying to squeeze pennies out of the franchise. The Packers always pay out all allowable salary. This year was Walker's turn to get paid. They have the cap space to do so. Walker, may, however, have ruined it for himself because he has allowed idiots to counsel him.

If you would've paid up market value for him, there would've been no stink whatsoever.
They did pay market value for him. In fact at his request they structured a contract slightly unusual at the time and for slightly more than his slotted (read market) value.The facts are that the Packers treated Javon Walker as being above market value once, and they had intimated that they would do so again this year with one year remaining. This was and is their custom with young and rising stars. Walker, though, ignored the fact that the Packers had already overpaid him on the contract he was on, and demanded a renegotiation in a year when the Packers had no salary cap space which had already caused them to release two highly coveted guards. It was foolish of him to demand a renegotiation under the circumstances. Only an idiot demands what is not available.

Gas has been thrown on this fire by the misinformed, or those who are purposely ignoring facts. Plenty of people are saying how little he is getting paid in the current year forgetting that his yearly salary is only part of his wages. They purposely ignore his signing bonus that has already prepaid him for his services this year, and they ignore his bonus schedule. By doing so they can make his pay seem outlandish by today's standards, but they have created a straw man argument. Every player at the tail end of contract, no matter how big a star, is always unperpaid in relation to new inflated contracts. They know this when they sign their contracts but they take the security of the signing bonus over the uncertainty of future years.

Finally, arguing that the Packers, or any team for that matter, should allow first round talent that actually panned out (a 50/50 proposition at best) to escape for a 2nd or 3rd round choice just because they claim unhappiness is setting a very dangerous precedent for the future of the sport. The nature of the sport requires some team cohesiveness, and some normalization of talent value. If players can skew their value to their teams in this fashion the sport will be ruined.

The Packers are not a team that has ever tried to save salary against the cap. Unlike the Vikings or other small market teamsbefore, the packers have no owners trying to squeeze pennies out of the franchise. The packers always pay out all allowable salary. This year was Walker's turn to get paid. They have the cap space to do so. Walker, may, however, have ruined for himself because he has allowed idiots to counel him.
Wow. Sudsy knows stuff. :goodposting:

$20,000,000.00 body, 10 cent head.

The cancer here is is Walker's entourage. With his step dad, and then Rosenhaus, and now his new agent and friends whispering in his ear how he has been getting disrespected by being thus far held to the contract he begged for he has come to believe it. Had he had people around him saying he was lucky to be in a pass happy offense with Favre pulling the trigger, and that he would be in line for a huge pay day and legendary status if he just waited his turn until this year to renegotiate, when the Packers actually had cap space, he would be a very rich man on track for a HOF career. Instead he is just a sad malcontent who is costing himself money. Sadly for me as a Packer fan and a Javon Walker fan he has hurt both himself and the team I root for.
Very well said!Agreed with every word!

:thumbup:

And what will Green Bay get? Maybe a 2nd round pick at best. Good job Green Bay. Way to keep your players happy. If you would've paid up market value for him, there would've been no stink whatsoever.

But I guess you showed the rest of the players that you wont restructure contracts huh? You'll just let other teams pay your top players what they're worth.

Tool...they restructure contracts all the time...just not those with multiple years remaining. Most good franchises do the exact same thing. :wall:

We call Walker greedy all the time, I remember at this time last year seeing what other WRS were making 2 or 3 or 4 times more money than Walker, and yes there were some major scrubs. This year how can Randle El make 6 times more than Walker? I'd be pissed too.
Maybe so, but let's not forget that Walker has only had one good year.

And what will Green Bay get?  Maybe a 2nd round pick at best.  Good job Green Bay.  Way to keep your players happy.  If you would've paid up market value for him, there would've been no stink whatsoever.

But I guess you showed the rest of the players that you wont restructure contracts huh?  You'll just let other teams pay your top players what they're worth.

Tool...they restructure contracts all the time...just not those with multiple years remaining. Most good franchises do the exact same thing. :wall:
Hey Pipes,No reason to start slinging the "Tool" factor at Imedos. He had an opinion (right or wrong) and he voiced it.

One thing to bear in mind. As you say, "Most good franchises" restructure contracts for players as long as there's not multiple years remaining, right?

So riddle me this.

The Pack KNOW Walker was unhappy with his contract last year. Walker now has 1 year remaining. They've got tons of cap room. If they're like "Most good franchises", why didn't they let him know they'd be restructuring his contact this year?

I think if they'd have done that, none of this :bs: would be happening.

If I were a Packer fan I would be more concerned of how Favre is holding the team ransom than what Walker wants. At least you know what Javon wants! With a wide open FA market coming to an end and the draft coming up next week, Favre's power play is making it difficult for the team to move forward. That, my friends, is more of a T.O. team cancer move than what Walker is doing.

If I were a Packer fan I would be more concerned of how Favre is holding the team ransom than what Walker wants. At least you know what Javon wants! With a wide open FA market coming to an end and the draft coming up next week, Favre's power play is making it difficult for the team to move forward. That, my friends, is more of a T.O. team cancer move than what Walker is doing.
BLASPHEMY!!You can't talk about GOD Favre like this! :rant:

;)

The Packers are not a team that has ever tried to save salary against the cap. Unlike the Vikings or other small market teams before, the Packers have no owners trying to squeeze pennies out of the franchise. The Packers always pay out all allowable salary. This year was Walker's turn to get paid. They have the cap space to do so. Walker, may, however, have ruined it for himself because he has allowed idiots to counsel him.
Weren't they 24 million under the cap?

Agreed. But don't sign a contract which is top heavy with boat loads of guaranteed money up front unless you plan on serving out the full extent of the contract.
:rolleyes: Two Words: "Voidable Contracts".

Can the (really) old timers and generally ignorant ppl around here NOT continue to bring up these bits about "Signing contracts", and "playing out the (players) contracts" anymore? :yawn:

Sure, he was underpaid in comparison after his great 2004 season. But he was overpaid for his very forgettable 2003 season, and he was way overpaid for his completely crappy 2002 season. I don't remember seeing members of Packers' management crying & whining all over the press about Walker not producing squat in 2002 or being forgettably mediocre in 2003.You know why GB wasn't whining in the press about it? BECAUSE THEY SIGNED A CONTRACT WITH WALKER, GIVING HIM A SIGNING BONUS BEFORE HE EVEN PLAYED A DOWN IN THE NFL, AND THEY HONORED THE CONTRACT!

It's well known that Green Bay, like Denver and some other clubs, will NOT renegotiate contracts, extend contracts, or undo contracts until a player has reached the last year of his contract. It's how they keep the salary cap under control & ensure that all deserving players get their deserved pay day.

Walker, on the other hand, signed a contract with the Packers with open eyes, took the signing bonus before he even played in the NFL, had one absolutely crappy year and one very, very mediocre year - while still getting paychecks regularly per his contract - before he had 1 - that's right, exactly 1 - great year. So what does he do? He decides that he doesn't have to honor his contract any longer and will hold the Packers up on the strength of 1 great year, even though he's under contract for 2 more years.

Look, if I know that's the GB policy, then so does Walker's agent, Walker, Walker's mom, Walker's dog, and anyone else even remotely affected by this situation. All Walker had to do was shut up & play, and he would have been rewarded in turn if he kept producing the way he did in 2004. Instead, he tried to screw the Packers, held out with 2 years left on a signed contract while whining & crying the whole time, then came back from his hold out & got hurt - how many times does that have to happen before players finally learn that holdouts are detrimental to not only their check books but are hazardous to their health?

Now he's in a much poorer position and has much less leverage because he took such an adversarial stance and because of his injury. Walker was in a position to cash in on a huge pay day in his turn, but instead he got greedy & he paid the price for his greed. Walker has no one to blame but himself, and has earned whatever is happening to him.

Pardon me for not getting out my hankie & shedding a tear for him.

Now he's in a much poorer position and has much less leverage because he took such an adversarial stance and because of his injury. Walker was in a position to cash in on a huge pay day in his turn, but instead he got greedy & he paid the price for his greed. Walker has no one to blame but himself, and has earned whatever is happening to him.
:confused: He is going to get paid big time. I suspect he will sit out until week 11, show up for 6 games so he registers an eligible year and then becomes a free agent next year.

This guy is a talent and will get a lot of money.

The Packers would be better off telling Walker to explore his options and see if a trade can be worked out. At which point, the Packers would be better off taking what they could get instead of 6-sulky games in December...while paying him.

Can the (really) old timers and generally ignorant ppl around here NOT continue to bring up these bits about "Signing contracts", and "playing out the (players) contracts" anymore? :yawn:
Ever heard of upfront money? That's what players get in consideration of the known fact of voidable contracts. They basically get paid most of their salary before they play one game. If they play poorly, the team can not ask for that money back. Sure, they can void the contract, but the player has for the most part already been paid handsomely.

Thnking out loud. The more the Packers play hard-ball, the more likely I suspect Walker takes less money just to play for Detroit, Chicago or Minnesota so he can 'try' to stick it to the Packers twice a year.

Ever heard of upfront money? That's what players get in consideration of the known fact of voidable contracts. They basically get paid most of their salary before they play one game. If they play poorly, the team can not ask for that money back. Sure, they can void the contract, but the player has for the most part already been paid handsomely.
Purely out of curiousity, how much was Walker's upfront money? :confused:

Thnking out loud. The more the Packers play hard-ball, the more likely I suspect Walker takes less money just to play for Detroit, Chicago or Minnesota so he can 'try' to stick it to the Packers twice a year.
If that happens, he'll get far more than the $1.5 mil he's set to earn for the Pack.

:confused: He is going to get paid big time.  I suspect he will sit out until week 11, show up for 6 games so he registers an eligible year and then becomes a free agent next year.This guy is a talent and will get a lot of money.  The Packers would be better off telling Walker to explore his options and see if a trade can be worked out.  At which point, the Packers would be better off taking what they could get instead of 6-sulky games in December...while paying him.
Really? And what exactly forces GB to play him? So what we would have is a whiny WR who is coming off an injury, hasn't played for 2 years, and is a known cancer who will screw the team as he sees fit, not honoring a contract he has already signed & taken signing bonus money for, whining to the media the whole time.Is that what you call lining yourself up for a huge pay day? GB is doing what is best for them - they are taking a stance that they will honor a player's contract and they expect their players to do the same. They have also made it team policy that they will reward players who perform above their contract;s value when the player has 1 year left on their contracts, even though the player still is under contract at that time - which benefits both parties. Just because some people here have Walker on their FF dynasty rosters & are suffering because Walker is being a horse's ### doesn't mean that caving to Walker is in GB's best interest. In fact, it would set a terrible precedence that other players in the future would surely try to exploit.

Really?  And what exactly forces GB to play him?
The new CBA
Whoa - GB will still have to pay him during the time that he comes back, but they don't have to play him.Please find language in the CBA to the contrary, if you would.
Ok;
• If a player retires and skips a good portion of the season against a team's wishes, the team must take him back under his existing contract and can't force him to give back any of the signing bonus. If the team wants to fight him for portions of the signing bonus, it has to release him and give him a chance to find another team.
Discipline under the new CBA

The new CBA
Whoa - GB will still have to pay him during the time that he comes back, but they don't have to play him.Please find language in the CBA to the contrary, if you would.
Ok;
• If a player retires and skips a good portion of the season against a team's wishes, the team must take him back under his existing contract and can't force him to give back any of the signing bonus. If the team wants to fight him for portions of the signing bonus, it has to release him and give him a chance to find another team.
I still don't see the part where the Packers would be forced to put Walker back on the field.

It was something like $4.3 million. $3M up front with a guranteed $1.3M more in the next year as a bonus.All before he played a down and prior to base salaries and other bonuses due.

I still don't see the part where the Packers would be forced to put Walker back on the field.
Exactly. While they have to pay him, absolutely nothing forces any team to ever put a player on the field.If that ever happened, the sport would be finished.

The new CBA
Ok;
My bad in not using this quote. :bag:
teams won't have the double hammer used by the Eagles last season of suspending him and making him inactive for the remainder of the season.
The "him" referred to above, is obviously TO.Check out the link PB.

It was something like $4.3 million. $3M up front with a guranteed $1.3M more in the next year as a bonus.All before he played a down and prior to base salaries and other bonuses due.
Isn't that peanuts for a WR of Walkers calibre?

The Packers are not a team that has ever tried to save salary against the cap.  Unlike the Vikings or other small market teams before, the Packers have no owners trying to squeeze pennies out of the franchise.  The Packers always pay out all allowable salary.  This year was Walker's turn to get paid.  They have the cap space to do so.  Walker, may, however, have ruined it for himself because he has allowed idiots to counsel him.
Weren't they 24 million under the cap?
Go back ten, twelve years. The Packers are always tight against the cap and likely will be again this year. They had an anomolous year actually having cap room. They will certainly invest that cap room in players. Frankly it was earmarked for Walker, and Barnett and maybe Hutchinson had the bidding not gone so crazy.You have to understand, the Packers ownership situation makes it so that they have no incentive to not spend to the salary cap. They are not saving an owner any money since their really is no owner. As the smallest market team in arguably the least desirable (at least to ball players from big Cities and warm weather climates) City the Packers must have a reputation of being generous with their salry cap or they absolutely could not compete.i

Walker is being a horse's ### doesn't mean that caving to Walker is in GB's best interest. In fact, it would set a terrible precedence that other players in the future would surely try to exploit.
FYI PB.Joey Galloway set this precedent 7 years ago.

My bad in not using this quote. :bag:

teams won't have the double hammer used by the Eagles last season of suspending him and making him inactive for the remainder of the season.
The "him" referred to above, is obviously TO.Check out the link PB.
I think you may be misunderstaning me.I agree that Green Bay would have to pay Walker if he were to decide to come back.

I still do not see anywhere that Green Bay would have to PLAY Walker should he decide on this course of action.

Please note the difference between the words PAY and PLAY.

Green Bay could pay Walker from week 11 on, but they could tell him to stay home, or they could force him to come to practice & games and suit up but not be involved in one snap on the field of play, or they could tell him that his job is to keep running 5 yd ins from the slot position every play against the Bears - if Green Bay chooses, if I read the language correctly.

Really? And what exactly forces GB to play him? So what we would have is a whiny WR who is coming off an injury, hasn't played for 2 years, and is a known cancer who will screw the team as he sees fit, not honoring a contract he has already signed & taken signing bonus money for, whining to the media the whole time.

Is that what you call lining yourself up for a huge pay day? GB is doing what is best for them - they are taking a stance that they will honor a player's contract and they expect their players to do the same. They have also made it team policy that they will reward players who perform above their contract;s value when the player has 1 year left on their contracts, even though the player still is under contract at that time - which benefits both parties. Just because some people here have Walker on their FF dynasty rosters & are suffering because Walker is being a horse's ### doesn't mean that caving to Walker is in GB's best interest. In fact, it would set a terrible precedence that other players in the future would surely try to exploit.
If you don't think Walker is going to hit a monster pay day, your just nuts. But I wouldn't view it as caving if Green Bay let Walker go. Instead, I think it sets a more positive precedent for the other 51 players; "If you don't want to be here and help us win a championship, then we don't want you here either."

Isn't that peanuts for a WR of Walkers calibre?
Not for his first two year's production, it wasn't. But Green Bay kept paying him those years, didn't they - with no knowledge during that time that he'd be capable of attaining a third year like he did.

Why not just let Favre and Walker go and start building a team with young players who WANT to be a part of returning the Packers back to greatness? It isn't like this team is on the verge of a championship. Worrying about these two is only going to lenghten the amout of time before they become a credible contender.

Users who are viewing this thread