What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

Big John's acting pretty little.
I am?Look if you guys want to spout that crap, feel free. My ignored users list is growing steadily. I just find childish crap to be a distraction in a serious discussion. If that makes me little, well, I'm not sure what to say...

Paterno has preached for years the praises of being responsible and doing the right thing, that honesty, sacrifice and indeed selflessness are qualities that he tries in instill in young people.

Paterno is a hypocrite and he deserves to be given no quarter. I can't people are trying to defend him.

PEDO State is fitting.
I would say it's only 'fitting' if the school fails to act by dismissing Paterno immediately. By not doing so, they are putting their priorities in the wrong place. If the school's Board does act, however, then I would regret seeing the entire institution labelled in such a way. That's unfair to all the students, staff, faculty, and alumni who had nothing to do with this. They have all been harmed by this, and they'll need to carry the stigma with them forever.

I don't have a problem with Paterno finishing out this season, based upon information that has come out thus far, because he's got a team full of players who have worked hard to achieve an 8-1 record and a #12 ranking. Not for the sake of Paterno, and not for the sake of PSU or the PSU fans, but for the sake of the players on that team... let them finish their season, and then get on with the witch hunt.
Tom Bradley is more than capable of filling the role of HC for the remainder of the season.
Agreed. And I think he would've been on the short list for replacements if Joe had retired at season's end under normal circumstances, but now I don't envision a scenario where a single member of the coaching staff survives.

Probably the most insulting thing that the trustees could do right now is allow Paterno to finish out the season. Basically the only real decision they have. Authorities going to be taking care of the rest. Well done.

The problem with things like "Pedo State" is not the name-calling, it's the sad level of creativity combined with the belief of the one stating it that it's clever. If it was clever enough most people would let it slide, and some might even go so far as to adopt it themselves. But to get them to concede the moral high ground on such a horrid subject, you really need to bring the clever. You don't have it with Pedo State. Although, it might have traction with some of the "Nobama" types. They seem to get all lathered up for the painfully unclever dismantling of the English language. Yes, I know that unclever is not a word.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am?Look if you guys want to spout that crap, feel free. My ignored users list is growing steadily. I just find childish crap to be a distraction in a serious discussion. If that makes me little, well, I'm not sure what to say...
Just give up BigJohn. Block them. I'm with you 100%, but if you could rationalize with people making jokes like this, you wouldn't have to have the conversation in the first place.

It does make you little. Complaining about it, over and over again, only brings you down to the level of the competition. You seriously can't read a posting with the word Pedo State in it without getting distracted? C'mon.and..... oh noes, not the ignore list.

The problem with things like "Pedo State" is not the name-calling, it's the sad level of creativity combined with the belief of the one stating it that it's clever. If it was clever enough most people would let it slide, and some might even go so far as to adopt it themselves. But to get them to concede the moral high ground on such a horrid subject, you really need to bring the clever. You don't have it with Pedo State. Although, it might have traction with some of the "Nobama" types. They seem to get all lathered up for the painfully unclever dismantling of the English language.
Its blatant in your face lack of cleverness is the point. Which you missed. Maybe just calling it Child Rape U would be better....

Just give up BigJohn. Block them. I'm with you 100%, but if you could rationalize with people making jokes like this, you wouldn't have to have the conversation in the first place.
There is no humor in my use of Pedo State. Until they do the right thing, they may as well be called Child Rape U.

It does make you little. Complaining about it, over and over again, only brings you down to the level of the competition. You seriously can't read a posting with the word Pedo State in it without getting distracted? C'mon.and..... oh noes, not the ignore list.
:hifive:

I pretty much agree with all of this. They are making Joe the story, and people in here seem to be reveling in it as well, because Joe has been used as a moral compass often. The disproportionate outrage aimed at Paterno is for sensationaism/marketing for the media and a healthy does of schadenfreude along with some idiot college football fans of Pitt etc.

Does Joe deserve blame? Yes. But people saying Joe is a main culprit and talking more about him then the actual child molester and those saying that the entire university itself should burn to the ground have their minds flooded with emotion and rage and are succumbing to a mob mentality.
Paterno had to know Sandusky more than anyone involved though, don't you think? He knew what went on in '98, in '02, and ever since. If you haven't read the GJ report, Sandusky was present with a 10 year old boy at '05 and '07 bowl games. You're telling me that nobody questioned this? Paterno didn't know about any of this?Paterno knew that Sandusky was a child molester, and he did nothing!
:goodposting: I don't have a dog in this fight... ie not a PSU fan, alumni or a die hard fan for a rival school, but JOE MUST GO! If for no other reason than for PSU to tell the world that they are taking this seriously, are sorry and will completely cooperate with authorities going forward. The Prez of the University has to be right behind Joe as well. I am sure the assistants (minus the coward McQueary who needs to go as well)are more than capapble of running the show on Saturday. Heck, PSU ought to just forfeit now.

Sucks for the current players, but I don't see any other choice.

While we are at it, I understand that there is no duty to rescue another human being, but really, McQueary and his dad thought it was ok to just go tell Joe about what he saw ( and ALLEGEDLY not tell him about the rape) Sorry, I'd like to think that if I saw a 10 year old getting raped, I'd take action, even if I was a 28 year old weakling and got my ### beat by an old man - at least the rape of a kid would stop.

Did Mcqueary ever think, if that was my kid and someone was in a position to stop that act, I'd want them to help my own kid out, so maybe I should confront this pedophile?

There is no humor in my use of Pedo State. Until they do the right thing, they may as well be called Child Rape U.
Your brilliance shines through. Did you think of that one all by yourself?

I'm sure this has been brought up more than once but I'm not going to wade through this whole thread...

If Paterno gets all the credit for creating such a successful program why shouldn't he take the blame for something negative that is directly related to that same said program?

Oh and did you know Sandusky wrote a book?

Your brilliance shines through. Did you think of that one all by yourself?
It wasnt difficult....

ESPN reporting ticket brokers are now being flooded with calls people wanting tickets to see JoePa coach his last game at home. Prior to his retirement they weren't getting calls for tickets.
More commentary on our society. Sports is king, no matter what.Sad and disgusting.
I asked the question earlier in the thread-how will Penn State PR dept handle this? Paterno's last game at Beaver Stadium.. Video tribute? do they even acknowledge it? Could be a disaster from a PR standpoint if they honor Paterno.. what would that show to the rest of the nation- "oh, look they are honoring the man who looked the other way while kids were raped".. oof.. nothing good will come of this :thumbdown:

Another good posting Chase. One thing I have been struggling with here the whole time was what was in it for Curley? Why would he lie under oath? Why wouldn't he act on what Joe and McQueary told him?

At this point, Joe is the least culpable in my mind. I do not think McQueary gave Joe the full picture. The grand jury and DA agree that both Joe and McQueary's testimony/stories do not contradict each other.

My question revolves around the 1998 incident and who at PSU knew of this investigation.

I don't have a problem with Paterno finishing out this season, based upon information that has come out thus far, because he's got a team full of players who have worked hard to achieve an 8-1 record and a #12 ranking. Not for the sake of Paterno, and not for the sake of PSU or the PSU fans, but for the sake of the players on that team... let them finish their season, and then get on with the witch hunt.
College football: It's important!

I think one thing is clear here that isn't being focused on is that the atmosphere and idea of football first absolutely created a situation at penn state that allowed this to happen. Regardless of who's fault this is at the end of the day (paterno, the AD, the school president) it's been exposed in the most disturbing way possible that a huge organization decided to try to save its reputation and the reputation of its football program at the expense of its soul. Going forward, as the dollars at stake go up, TV contracts increase, and these top college programs continue to move into their own leagues where they're basically pringing money, that "protect the program" attitude is only going to increase. I don't know what the answer to this is at the end of the day, but the pressure to protect the goose that laid the golden egg is very high, and is only going to increase.
This is a society wide issue that affects any organization that has power, money, and a reputation to protect. Football only has higher visibility because the consumers in this case are fans.

Pedo State will not act properly until national outrage reaches a sufficient level. They have shown that. I am sick at how that institution has and is handling the whole thing.Get used to it: Pedo State.
Curious- what is your alma mater?
No competitor of Pedo State. I am just truly sickened by their handling of this situation.
That's not what I asked.My alma maters have certainly had some scandals. Students committed and been the victims of sexual assaulted on campus, and even been murdered off-campus (and in at least one case I know of, murdered other students). Students have committed suicide. They've been hospitalized with alcohol poisoning and drug overdoses. Faculty and staff have also done a number of terrible things, including, I assume, committing very serious crimes like sexual assaults and the like (I have vague recollections of this, don't really feel like doing research as it is almost certainly true). And as is always the case, there are things the universities could have done to try to keep these things from happening or repeating. Therefore, I would never act like you are here, because my schools have also been guilty of the sin of inaction many many times. So I guess I'm just wondering what school you went to that is allowing you to act like such a sanctimonious [implement] with respect to Penn State.

Give me a break. Paterno runs PSU.More "middle management" BS.
I keep reading this...over and over...posted by many people. CrossEyed, I'm not singling you out, but using your post as my example. Paterno "runs" PSU...but he doesn't RUN PSU. Like it or not, no matter how popular you are, you still work for an organization. Paterno can't sign his own paycheck. Paterno can't do whatever he pleases. Is he afforded A LOT of power? Yes. But he doesn't run PSU, likely had no legal or authoritative power to bypass the chain of command, etc. I'm not saying how he handled it was right, but saying he ran PSU is to say that HE had the power to fire Sandusky, etc. This just isn't true. He could influence firings, but HE can't fire someone who doesn't work for him.
THIS president went to his house to ask him to step downPaterno threw the guy outIf he goes to them and says"fire sandusky or i quit because you are harboring a rapist" there's no question what they do

...Take a second and picture them sitting in Paterno's living room...
I can't. I have no idea what his living room looks like.
I'm going to guess a tan plaid sofa/love seat combo from about 1967. A Laz-E-Boy recliner that only Joe gets to sit in. A coffee table with a bunch of old Reader's Digests and those oversized marble thingies that are supposed to look like a bunch of grapes. One end table that with a lamp that looks like a bowling trophy and a small bowl filled with rock hard candy that tastes like old toothpaste. Throw in a really mean dachshund and/or a really obese cat that bites.

I keep reading this...over and over...posted by many people. CrossEyed, I'm not singling you out, but using your post as my example. Paterno "runs" PSU...but he doesn't RUN PSU. Like it or not, no matter how popular you are, you still work for an organization. Paterno can't sign his own paycheck. Paterno can't do whatever he pleases. Is he afforded A LOT of power? Yes. But he doesn't run PSU, likely had no legal or authoritative power to bypass the chain of command, etc. I'm not saying how he handled it was right, but saying he ran PSU is to say that HE had the power to fire Sandusky, etc. This just isn't true. He could influence firings, but HE can't fire someone who doesn't work for him.
THIS president went to his house to ask him to step downPaterno threw the guy outIf he goes to them and says"fire sandusky or i quit because you are harboring a rapist" there's no question what they do
It sounds like they would have let him quit then.

Of course he's going to say he had no knowledge or he'd be arrested right now. He made sure to cover this up to hopefully cover his ###. I really hope the worst punishment this scumbag gets isn't that he gets to simply retire at end of the season.
He's 84 years old and his entire life's work and legacy was destroyed in a moment.

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people really understand exactly how much power Paterno had/has.

For the Paterno did what he was supposed to crowd, i still have not seen an explanation for the basic timeline that is laid out in the grand jury testimony, which is McQueary visits Paterno on Saturday morning, and tells Paterno whatever you choose to believe McQueary told him. Then Paterno does not go to the AD until Sunday.

So, Paterno certainly thought it was important enough to involve the AD on a Sunday, but not important enough to notify him immediately on Saturday?

What was so important that Paterno could sleep on it? This reeks of cover-up from day 1, imo.

Of course he's going to say he had no knowledge or he'd be arrested right now. He made sure to cover this up to hopefully cover his ###. I really hope the worst punishment this scumbag gets isn't that he gets to simply retire at end of the season.
He's 84 years old and his entire life's work and legacy was destroyed in a moment.
It wasn't "in a moment". He had a LOT of moments when he could have made this right.

This is only getting bigger....

I think that it may ultimately come out that dozens and dozens of children were raped at Pedo State facilities. How many until the school takes this seriously?
HellToupee doesn't get you.
I don't find pedophelia funny I don't think the victims would find it clever . Ithink it demeans the parents that save & work hard to give their kids an education. I think it mocks grads of the school. There are people who ahould be held accountable but I doubt its the philosophy prof. Maybe its funny in high school halls

I want these people to burn as much as the next guy, but just quit with the 'Pedo State' crap. It makes you look juvenile and stupid. Emphasis on stupid.
:goodposting: Not really a lot of room for humor in this thread...but I guess I shouldn't expect anything different given the way this place has gone in recent years.
Sadly it's become a full on schadenfreude orgy here for a handful of posters.
No kidding...
Based on your posts here, we all know where you stand. Let's not act like you have any sort of moral authority.
What I'm saying is that this has become a witch hunt. "Kill 'em all" is the basic mantra, regardless of intent or anything else. What gets me is that if you read this thread, Paterno and McQueary's names come up 10x more than Sandusky's. I get the anger over the issue, but anyone who thinks that cancelling the season or any of the other completely hair-brained ideas is going to somehow make things better is nuts. It just goes back to the fact that America loves their heros, but they love scandals that bring them down more.
find me someone defending sandusky and i will blast them

This scandal is a coverup of something else terible, IMO.

Let's walk through this logically.

McQueary -- a former star QB and now grad assistant -- sees an old retired coach prison raping a child. #1 -- HTF do you not stop him? You want to tell me that a former finalist for the Unitas award can't stop a 58-year-old man who's naked with a boy in the shower? He's 30 years younger than him and in much better shape.

But okay, let's think. McQueary sees this, and is sicked/shocked/disgusted. He freezes. He runs, cowardly, but he runs. That happens. Some people flee instead of fighting, I get that.

So he meets with Paterno the next day. How do you think this goes down? Take a second and picture them sitting in Paterno's living room.

MM: Um, Joe. This was really bad. I, uh,... I, uh, saw coach Sandusky. With a boy. In the shower.

JP: [stunned silence.]

MM: Yeah. It was, uh, not good.

JP: When was this?

MM: Last night. Late at night, I went back to the locker room and found them there.

JP: So he was in the shower Saturday night with a young boy when he thought everyone had gone home?

MM: Yes. It was, uh, really bad. I don't even know if I can say it out loud.

JP: Oh my goodness. I don't think I even want to hear this. We need to meet with the AD and Curley and maybe Spanier as soon as possible.

MM: Okay.

JP: This is bad.

MM: Yes.

Now they all meet, and McQueary tells the story. The administration asks him for every detail, and he supplies it to them.

Curley and the AD say "Okay, this is horrible. But stop for a second. If we go to the police, they're going to ask us what evidence do we have. Mike, do you have any evidence?"

MM: No. I just, ya know, saw it. It happened, trust me. But no, I have no evidence.

AD: Okay, let's think this through.

From here, I see three scenarios.

The normal person reaction

Okay, this is bad. But let's go to the police. I am sure there was surveillance video of him entering the building, presumably with the kid. Then at least we can identify him. Then it would be 2 people's word against 1. Plus, maybe once the police start questioning Sandusky, he admits to it?

I mean, I don't know. This is ugly, and could become a circus. But obviously we need to do something. Let's tell the police, and hope we can convict this guy. Once the police are involved, we can find out a lot more. If nothing else, it ruins his reputation and prevents him from ever doing this again.

The cover-up but that's it response

Okay, this is bad. But here's the problem. We have almost no evidence. This is going to look terrible on the school. We don't even know who the kid is. Jerry is a sicko, but we all used to like him. We don't want to see him being remembered like this. Here's what we do: We go to him, tell him what happened, and say he's got to go to the other side of the country. Jerry, we know what happened, we are disgusted by it, we hope you get help, but please GTFO of State College. Immediately. You lose access to everything, immediately. I don't care about your house. Hire someone to sell it for you. You have any problem with this, we go to the police and handle it that way.

What actually happened

Now WHY would that not happen? After Paterno and the administration knew about it, how could they not kick Sandusky out immediately? Why in the world would they not tell him -- at a BARE MINIMUM -- get the F out of State College or we go to the cops. We caught you, you have no leverage, you're done. Leave here and never, ever come back, and this is us being NICE to you.

We are sickened by you, and maybe we're being slimy, but we don't want to bring down the school, the program, or even you. Just go far away.

There's only one reason that didn't happen. Sandusky had something on someone. If he had something on JoePa personally, I think the school says F off. He must have had something on the school.

Realistically, he is most likely to have what? Something where he has access, the football program. So he's got something on the football program. And Sandusky probably documented all of this, knowing that he could use it one day as leverage. If you're a sick child-raping monster and are worried that one day you'll be caught by X and Y, as a side-hobby, you're going to do everything you can to get something on X and Y to prevent you from going to jail.

I suspect Sandusky probably kept notes on players being paid or something of that ilk for years. Maybe it was worse -- maybe a player raped or murdered someone, and Sandusky and co. helped sweep it under the rug: but not before Sandusky kept evidence of it. He knew he would need something if he ever got caught.

Now the administration is in a bind. If they go nuclear on Sandusky, he goes to the press/police/ncaa with whatever he has. And what he has is bad. So they threaten him to leave, and he plays hardball. He says F you to Paterno and Spanier and Curley. He says I've got X on you, I'm not leaving. They reach a middle ground, where he stays far in the background but is allowed to stay on campus.

And then all of this breaks.

Is this a conspiracy theory? Of course. But the most likely explanation is the simplest.

Why does the school -- knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was prison raping children -- allow Sandusky to stay on campus, be listed in the phone directory as a member of the administration, have access to the facilities, etc.? Because he had something on them. And he had proof.

Who knows what that is.
Interesting. I hope you are wrong.

from approximately 1998 to now, I'd say it took a bit more than "a moment" for this to happen.

This is only getting bigger....

I think that it may ultimately come out that dozens and dozens of children were raped at Pedo State facilities. How many until the school takes this seriously?
HellToupee doesn't get you.
I don't find pedophelia funny I don't think the victims would find it clever . Ithink it demeans the parents that save & work hard to give their kids an education. I think it mocks grads of the school. There are people who ahould be held accountable but I doubt its the philosophy prof. Maybe its funny in high school halls
LOOK THE OTHER WAY!!!!

from approximately 1998 to now, I'd say it took a bit more than "a moment" for this to happen.
:goodposting:It's not like Woody Hayes punching an opposing player in the heat of the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread