What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets considering Vernon Davis at 4..... (1 Viewer)

Jets would be morons to do that since they'd be passing on Mario or D'Brick. :thumbdown:
Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha...Didn't they give up a first rounder for a bum TE last year?!?!

Jets are notorious for blowing drafts out their other side.

Lets see...we need a RB, a sturdy QB, an O-line...OH I KNOW! Let's draft a TE! That counts as O-line doesn't it?

:lmao: :lmao: :wall:

That'd be another to add to that Jets draft highlight reel that was posted here a little while back :thumbup:

I know they like Adrian Jones, but their OL needs help and he did well at RT before moving to LT. Getting D'Brick if he's there should be a no-brainer.

As far as taking Vernon Davis over Mario, I'm not sure I understand it since the Jets are going back to a 3-4 defense that would be perfect for Mario who is big enough to be a 3-4 DE and fast enough to play 4-3 DE. 3-4 DE usually isn't a star position that racks up stats, but Mario is good enough to tie up two defenders and allow the OLB to pressure the QB.

Jets would be morons to do that since they'd be passing on Mario or D'Brick.  :thumbdown:
They did?Got the details on that one?
He must be referring to them giving up their 1st round to get Doug Jolley from Denver. However, they also got Denver's #2 in the deal so it was moving down spots to get Jolley

Jets would be morons to do that since they'd be passing on Mario or D'Brick.  :thumbdown:
They did?Got the details on that one?
From usatoday.com:
NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Jets finally filled their need at tight end.

The Jets acquired Doug Jolley from Oakland on Thursday in exchange for their first-round pick in Saturday's NFL draft. The deal, agreed upon Wednesday night, was completed when Jolley passed his physical Thursday morning. Oakland gets the 26th overall selection, moving back into the first round after trading the seventh overall pick to Minnesota for Randy Moss in March.

New York also gets a second-round (47th overall) and two sixth-round picks (182, 185) from Oakland, while the Raiders get a seventh-round selection.
Not quite just for a 1st, but moving down from the 26th to 47th is quite a jump down even if two 6ths for a 7th is thrown in. For what Jolley gave them, that was a high price to pay.

Jets would be morons to do that since they'd be passing on Mario or D'Brick. :thumbdown:

Lets see...we need a RB, a sturdy QB, an O-line...OH I KNOW! Let's draft a TE! That counts as O-line doesn't it?

Raiders get: Fabian Washington (traded Jets #26 [Chris Spencer] and #105 [Ray Willis])Jets get: Doug Jolley, Mike Nugent (Raiders #47), and Cedric Houston (Raiders #182)

J E T Ssuck suck suck!

always have,always will..

have been rebuilding since 1969.

:lmao: :lmao:

that's posturing by nyj if true...they probably want SF to give up that #22 for the jets #29 first round pick , along with swapping the 4th and 6th picks in the first round...i hope they do something stupid like drafting a TE at #4..what's draft day without Jets fans booing their first pick?!?!? lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, if the Jets are considering him then I am moving Vernon down my rankings.

Jet's only go after scrub TEs.

Not quite just for a 1st, but moving down from the 26th to 47th is quite a jump down even if two 6ths for a 7th is thrown in. For what Jolley gave them, that was a high price to pay.
Right But NOTHING like trading your 1st round pick for Doug Jolley straight up....

The Jets drafted Justin Miller who many had them pegged for that 1st round pick anyway.

With all the talk of teams moving up to get V Davis, I think the Jets just want other teams to think about moving to 4 to get him.

J E T Ssuck suck suck!

always have,always will..

have been rebuilding since 1969.

:lmao: :lmao:

that's posturing by nyj if true...they probably want SF to give up that #22 for the jets #29 first round pick , along with swapping the 4th and 6th picks in the first round...i hope they do something stupid like drafting a TE at #4..what's draft day without Jets fans booing their first pick?!?!? lol
Most Giant fans have more class than this.... but every team has some "fans" like you. I guess next up, you will brag about mortaging the Giants franchise in the draft for Manning lite? When they could have taken Rothelisberger? And kept ALL those draft picks? Now, instead of having drafted a LB in the first round last year, they have to go out and overpay a turd like Arrington! Yes, the Jets traded down 21 spots, and got Jolley, Nugent, Houston and another 6th round pick which they later traded.

I'd actually be OK with Davis at 4. I more suspect it's a smoke screen for SF. But, the Jets do need a weapon on offense, and with Bush gone, and no WR's worth a 4, Davis might not be a bad way to go. I still prefer a QB, but....

This is the most unpredictable draft I think I can recall..... every one of the first four teams could make a surprise pick. I've given up on trying to mock it.... I'm ready for draft day already.... like two weeks ago!

This is the most unpredictable draft I think I can recall..... every one of the first four teams could make a surprise pick. I've given up on trying to mock it.... I'm ready for draft day already.... like two weeks ago!
I'm with ya can't come soon enough - Most unpredictable as well as seemingly loaded with talent........- Mario or trade down....

if they are really considering Davis, I'd hope they could trade down to the 11 spot or so.

How could they go wrong with trading to 11 and grabbing one of:

Bush

Mario

Brick

Leinert

Hawk

Ngata

Young

Davis

Cutler

Justice

Huff

With all the talk of teams moving up to get V Davis, I think the Jets just want other teams to think about moving to 4 to get him.
This could definatly be true.
Right, but what's to stop a team for saying they want Davis to get the pick and then drafting D'Brick or Mario instead?Maybe they want the 49ers to do just that. :shrug:

Hate to break it to the Jets but SF if Mario and Davis are on the board at the 49ers pick, 49ers will take Mario. If you're going to play poker Jets and try and bluff, bluff when someone will blink not laugh. Idiots.

Hate to break it to the Jets but SF if Mario and Davis are on the board at the 49ers pick, 49ers will take Mario. If you're going to play poker Jets and try and bluff, bluff when someone will blink not laugh. Idiots.
Could you try that again? In English?

I know they like Adrian Jones, but their OL needs help and he did well at RT before moving to LT. Getting D'Brick if he's there should be a no-brainer.
I disagree - I think Jones is a much better LT and they need a bigger mauling RT - Winston Justice would be a MUCH better draft pick for the Jets than D'Brick...I think Justice can be a dominating RT.. if the Jets get D'Brick, they have an OK Run Blocking LT an OK run Blocking RT a Horrible Run Blocking Center and some Guards... BLAH... At least get a dominating Run Blocker at RT and keep your decent LT in place.This is why I'm Mario or trade down... Trade down and then they can take whoever falls... Culter, Justice, Ngata, Davis.... It's all gravy if they can move down a little.

Could you try that again? In English?
He's speculating on the speculation of the rumors and then calling anyone who speculated idiots.i think.

:shrug: :lmao:

I disagree - I think Jones is a much better LT and they need a bigger mauling RT - Winston Justice would be a MUCH better draft pick for the Jets than D'Brick...I think Justice can be a dominating RT.. if the Jets get D'Brick, they have an OK Run Blocking LT an OK run Blocking RT a Horrible Run Blocking Center and some Guards... BLAH... At least get a dominating Run Blocker at RT and keep your decent LT in place.

This is why I'm Mario or trade down... Trade down and then they can take whoever falls... Culter, Justice, Ngata, Davis.... It's all gravy if they can move down a little.
Ok, then the talking up of Vernon Davis makes sense. If they can trade down to 6 with the 49ers and get Justice before the Raiders do then they will have done well. I really like D'Brick but I can see Justice being a better fit. The question is, would the 49ers be willing to move up and what would they give to do it if they think the Jets are bluffing? If the 49ers do trade up then they probably wouldn't take Vernon Davis would they?

I know they like Adrian Jones, but their OL needs help and he did well at RT before moving to LT.  Getting D'Brick if he's there should be a no-brainer.
I disagree - I think Jones is a much better LT and they need a bigger mauling RT - Winston Justice would be a MUCH better draft pick for the Jets than D'Brick...I think Justice can be a dominating RT.. if the Jets get D'Brick, they have an OK Run Blocking LT an OK run Blocking RT a Horrible Run Blocking Center and some Guards... BLAH... At least get a dominating Run Blocker at RT and keep your decent LT in place.

This is why I'm Mario or trade down... Trade down and then they can take whoever falls... Culter, Justice, Ngata, Davis.... It's all gravy if they can move down a little.
Ok, then the talking up of Vernon Davis makes sense. If they can trade down to 6 with the 49ers and get Justice before the Raiders do then they will have done well. I really like D'Brick but I can see Justice being a better fit. The question is, would the 49ers be willing to move up and what would they give to do it if they think the Jets are bluffing? If the 49ers do trade up then they probably wouldn't take Vernon Davis would they?
Blue Peep and I (both rabid Jet fans) have been on the same page here for a long time.... Adrian Jones is as of now, an average LT, but is NOT a RT, just like Ferguson. Jones should continue to improve... here's why:1. He has all the measurables for LT, wing span, quick feet.

2. In college, he was a TE, and only moved to LT in his senoir year.

3. In his first year with the Jets, he was a RT, and saw no playing time.

4. He started 2005 at RT, and after 3 games was moved to LT.

The kid has been bounced around way too much. If he's allowed to stay at LT, he'll be fine.... that makes Ferguson a redundant pick. That would only put Jones on the bench. The Jets have NO RT at all.... and need to re-establish the running game. That means a guy like Justice, McNiell or Winston.

If SF really likes Mario, I could see a trade there. V Davis could still be there at the SF slot, and several other nice options would be available too. At 29, the Jets could still get their starting RT.

VD would be a BIG mistake.

As I pointed out, this all started this morning on Cold pizza, some guy was predicting the Jets to draft VD.

If you remember, Bubba Franks had the crowd on draft day in a frenzy. Tight Ends should NEVER be drafted this high period.

Gotta love the J-E-T-S baby.

You just know, somehow, some way, like the knicks signing another ####ty max contract player, the Jets will #### up this pick.

Death, Taxes and an array of (deserved) boos on Draft Day from Jets fans.

Raiders get: Fabian Washington (traded Jets #26 [Chris Spencer] and #105 [Ray Willis])

Jets get: Doug Jolley, Mike Nugent (Raiders #47), and Cedric Houston (Raiders #182)
Yeah, it was a horrible deal when it happened... but Fabian Washington doesn't look all that good, and Houston could start this year. Nugent can still turn into an elite Kicker

Top 5 may not be too high for a freak like Davis. 4.3 speed at TE, productive in school....Tony Gonzalez and Antonio Gates would be worth top 5 choices. I understand position scarcity, but I think it goes out the window when you can get a guy who can give you something at the position (stretching the seam like a speed WR) that few, if anyone else can.

Jets considering Vernon Davis at 4

Shouldn't they be considering at least 7 different players?

The foolish thing would be to not consider him.

"With the 4th pick....

The Jets select....

Tight End....

Leonard Pope of Georgia"

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOO

:D

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread