What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets IDP Report (1 Viewer)

Rovers

Footballguy
I logged a new thread on the Jets in the Shark pool, but for the IDP'ers, here's what I saw today.Safety: Coleman took all the 1st team snaps, as did McGraw. McGraw got beaten a few times, but never on a deep play. This was a supposed "non contact" practice, but the guys looking to make the roster went overboard, a sure sign they know they are in trouble, namely R Washington and Celestin. Non IDP factors in any case. Rhodes and Maddox were the second team safeties, and both played well. Rhodes in particular is good in coverage, but his rap is how well he does against the run. He makes the reads fine, but we don't know if he can lay the leather yey.... we know McGraw is a big hitter, but if he gets hurt yet again, Rhodes appears to be the guy to replace him. CB: Justin Miller is an uber-stud. This kid is special. He covers recievers like a blanket. He is EASILLY the best coverage DB on the roster. In today's sessions alone, he had at least 4 picks. If the Jets sign Law, I think Miller beats out Barrett for the other CB spot. All day, no reciever ever got past him, and most times he was ahead of the reciever in position to make a play on the ball. Hunter won't survive the first cut. He is gawd-awful. He left his shoes several times, and was repeatedly burned. Strait and Mickens played CB on the second team D. Both looked OK, but compared to Miller.... Pennington wouldn't even throw to Miller's side. LB's: This situation is set, no changes.D Line: They played the 11 on 11's on the grass fiels, which has no bleachers. Hard to see what was going on in the line at all. Half the lineman had thier jerseys up, so you couldn't even see the numbers. From what I could tell, Legree and Pouha rotated in the slant nose position. I'll be hitting camp again next week.

Will Justin Miller be returning kickoffs? In a league with return yardage that would indeed make him an uber-stud.

Miller is clearly the punt returner as of now. They didnt run any kick off drills in that session, so I can't say who is now slotted for KO return duties. Sundays are usually for special teams, maybe I can get back out there tomorrow. I hate opening weekend though, it gets really crowded. If Miller wins the starting CB spot, I think he'll do one or the other, probably not both, but that is admittedly a guess on my part. Next week I hope to get a better look at the line play, but things are pretty set there. Abraham will most likely skip camp, but be there for the first game, Vilma looks great, Barnett should have the same sort of year he had last year, Hobson is playing SAM with the first team, Ellis looks to be a little faster.... he had a great session. Robertson looks a little lighter this year, in better shape, and sacked Fiedler this morning, even though he was in a red jersey. Robertson could be a pro bowler this year. Pouha and Legree, along with Reed are in a rotation at the slant nose spot. Legree also spells Robertson.

i think when the dust settles there could easily be 5, if not 7 or 8 #1 CBs from this draft. the steelers and jets have to be real excited with what they got in the 2nd round, and i hear the dolphins are excited about daniels, who went in the 4th i believe.

i think when the dust settles there could easily be 5, if not 7 or 8 #1 CBs from this draft. the steelers and jets have to be real excited with what they got in the 2nd round, and i hear the dolphins are excited about daniels, who went in the 4th i believe.
Yeah, the Jets' fan forums are ablaze with stuff about Miller. I just told someone in a PM, I can't recall a better ball hawk in a Jets' uniform.... ever. Ever. The thing is, he seems to do this without taking risks. He's got his WR covered, and I never, not once, saw a reciever get between him and the goal posts. He was either in front of the WR, or stride for stride. He knows how to be in a position to make a play on the ball, without taking big risks. This morning he was doing it again, according to reports. I know it's just training camp, but I swear, he is the best corner I think I've ever seen in person, in Jets camp, up close. He even makes tackles on the other side of the field on running plays! Sure, upfield some, but wow. He is making more noise in camp than any rookie I can ever recall for the Jets. Someone pinch me.....

thanks for the news on Miller !somehow he went undrafted in our rookie dynasty draft.I put a $2 bid on him a week ago and no one else would go higher.with return yardage, I think he could be great.especially as a rookie that QBs want to pick on.

The Ty Law signing rumors are heating up a lot. Even the NY beat reporters are saying it will happen. If Law does sign, I'm not sure Miller can take Barrett's job, at least right away, although, in my mind, the tandem of Law and Miller would be incredible. The reports I have, including comments by HC Edwards is that Miller will be the return man for both punts and KO's.

OK, I'm still scratching my head. Oliver Celestin played with the 1st team D today, at SS and then at the open CB spot. :eek: Celestin and Washington were pretty much the favorites to get cut, along with Pagel. All of a sudden, McGraw is playing with the second team, and both he and Coleman have not looked good. Maddox and Rhodes have looked better, but this Celestin thing is a huge surprise. Coleman continues to start with the first team D, but he better step it up, and soon. if I were to guess, and this IS a guess, the Jets are either giving Celestin his last chance, are shopping him, or he has new life as a starting safety.... my guess is he's being shopped. Second guess is that he's being given his best and last chance to be a contributor. I'll be VERY surprised if he can beat Rhodes, Maddox, McGraw and Coleman out for a starting spot. He did play pretty well today though.

Rovers, do you happen to know if anything happend to Miller today? I was trying to keep an eye out for him, but noticed he wasn't on the field for the second half or so of practice. Maybe I'm just blind. I know that I did see him walking onto the field towards the end of the practice though so at least we know he wasn't injured seriously or anything.

No, I didn't see him either. I'm wondering if he got dinged up in the morning practice, and maybe that's why Celestin was staring there. I guess we'll just have to wait for news. I did see him fielding punts, but that was it today.

No, I didn't see him either. I'm wondering if he got dinged up in the morning practice, and maybe that's why Celestin was staring there. I guess we'll just have to wait for news. I did see him fielding punts, but that was it today.
Speaking of punts, got my first look at Graham today..all I can say is wow. I think he'll lead the league in fair catches.

Well, Oliver Celestin does in fact appear to be the leading candidate for the open SS position. Here we are a week later, and he's still playing with the 1st team D. This is his second year with the Jets (also as a pro) and I think the coaches are, at least for now, more comfortable with him over the rookies Rhodes and Maddox, but it's still early. McGraw is now playing with the third team, and I wonder if the club has run out of patience with his injury history. He is still recovering from a hernia. Celestin has looked pretty good, I must admit. He just might stick at SS.

Users who are viewing this thread