What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Biden as a war president (1 Viewer)

Will Biden do a good job if we need to go to war?

• Yes

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • No

Votes: 42 64.6%

• Total voters
I said if a president would start a war to offset a lagging approval rating it fits Trump's MO perfectly.  Luckily for us his constant adoration by MAGA guys was enough to keep him in check.
So you're saying the example you used of someone who would start a war for ratings, in fact didn't start a war for ratings.

But yes I know, he's a great example.

Courtjester said:
It just seems like this administration "wants" this war. I just don't get all the tough talk Biden is trying to throw out there. I mean, the Ukrainian leader has been telling him to dial it back. He is trying to speak for the Germans and what they are going to do with their pipeline. We get constant updates on CNN from the Biden administration predicting how quick this battle will be over, what tactics Russian could use, when it will happen. 

I've just never seen someone hoping for this conflict like Biden right now. Is he upset that people think he is a weak president?   Is it because things are going so poorly domestically, they hope this will take people's minds off that? The polls show most Americans simply want no part of this conflict. I just don't understand the end game here. 
IMO every administration "wants" war in the sense that I think there is way too much money to be made by being in war. 

If Putin backs down (he still might) big win for Biden. 

If Putin invades we condemn, place sanctions, and that’s it. It will be an ugly spectacle but we’re not getting involved. Similar to the Soviet invasions of Hungary in 1956 and Czechoslovakia in 1968. 
Good evaluation of the situation.  The ball is in Putin’s court.

If Putin invades,  I hope we crush them with sanctions.  He needs to know that he can't just take whatever he wants.

Here's where we need to get off of oil as fast as possible.  Oil is a big reason Russia is able to finance it's war machine.

You really believe that?  Damn thats depressing
Yes, I've said as much in other threads.   We spend way too much energy #####ing about the POTUS and "teams".    IMO our country is much more of a plutocracy than we talk about in these political threads, and more of our decision making is associated with that.    Way too much money to be made being in perpetual wars, locking people up,  etc..    The R/D stuff is just a sideshow distraction, and real change won't come as long as the same donors are dropping millions into both campaigns.    

It's genuinely hard to argue that big industries - tech, pharma, oil, defense, etc. - don't have an enormously unfair and disproportionate influence on the federal government. Breaking their grip may be the hardest thing we ever try to do and I'm not confident at all that we can do it.

Exactly.  Just follow the trail of where all these people end up or come from in these administrations.  
Hmm.  This is interesting to me.

I in general tend to be skeptical of government and people in government.  I think its warranted and healthy when done reasonably.

But Karma, you here are basically saying we go to wars because people, like the current secretary of defense, will profit from it?  Or at least they want us to go to war?  It's very reasonable observation to make, that hey the guy who knows military stuff was on the board of a company that makes military stuff...but that's a big leap and a very blanket assumption.

And then I perceive you as very dismissive of sceptics of say governmental covid policy and the vaccine. Are the same motivations and/or ingredients not also there?

Hmm.  This is interesting to me.

I in general tend to be skeptical of government and people in government.  I think its warranted and healthy when done reasonably.

But Karma, you here are basically saying we go to wars because people, like the current secretary of defense, will profit from it?  Or at least they want us to go to war?  It's very reasonable observation to make, that hey the guy who knows military stuff was on the board of a company that makes military stuff...but that's a big leap and a very blanket assumption.

And then I perceive you as very dismissive of sceptics of say governmental covid policy and the vaccine. Are the same motivations and/or ingredients not also there?
I will start with the last one - yes the same ingredients are there.    Similar concept we have people coming and going from administrations that are tied to pharma companies, etc.    IMO we need to keep that in mind when talking about things.   I don't think it's a surprise that despite popular support we still have a for-profit medical system, generic and alternative meds are suppressed, and our insurance is tied to our employment.   Similar to no matter what team is in the WH we seem to get expansions of the war on drugs and more people locked up.  

Similar to what I was getting at with my statement above.    Maybe bad phrasing on my part.  I don't think we want to go to war in that people don't care about soldiers or want people to die or anything.  But there is too much money at stake in weapons manufacturing and construction.  So I think there is 0 surprise that our Defense budget is never cut, we seem to be in perpetual war of some sort, etc.   It is a lot harder to justify our extreme Defense budget if we aren't using it.  

IMO every administration "wants" war in the sense that I think there is way too much money to be made by being in war. 

That might be so.  And Biden is old school Vietnam era type.

We bail on the Afghans, and going to fight Russia with Ukraine?

I will never understand politics. 

So Biden issued a severe warning today to Putin during their phone call.  If Russia attacks Joe is ready:
Hopefully with a boatload of sanctions from us and our allies.  Not with troops.

I still don't understand what Putin hopes to gain from occupying a hostile country.  His own country is in pretty bad shape and severe sanctions will make things even more difficult. 

That might be so.  And Biden is old school Vietnam era type.

We bail on the Afghans, and going to fight Russia with Ukraine?

I will never understand politics. 
I wouldn't say we bailed on the Afghans, we were there forever, trained them up, etc.  They choose to roll over to the Taliban once it became clear the US was pulling out.

And I don't think anyone expects US troops to engage in Ukraine. 

driveby post:

"I dont believe there  are any Russians, and there ain't no yanks.  Just corporate criminals, playing with tanks."

- David Byrne

I wouldn't say we bailed on the Afghans, we were there forever, trained them up, etc.  They choose to roll over to the Taliban once it became clear the US was pulling out.

And I don't think anyone expects US troops to engage in Ukraine. 

You are right, the pullout was a disaster though.

Biden should have never set a date, slowly get all Americans out on our timeline.

running out of words to describe how depraved US foreign policy is.  to wit:

-spending billions arming Ukraine while covid & economy spiral out of control

-stopping a pipeline between Germany and Russia that both parties (and tons of Europeans) want

-Ukraine blames their collapsing economy on us; urges US to cool it with narrative about Russia invading Ukraine 

-Russia preparing for western-sponsored violence against ethnic Russian minority in Ukraine 

https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1492463774640476171

running out of words to describe how depraved US foreign policy is.  to wit:

-spending billions arming Ukraine while covid & economy spiral out of control

-stopping a pipeline between Germany and Russia that both parties (and tons of Europeans) want

-Ukraine blames their collapsing economy on us; urges US to cool it with narrative about Russia invading Ukraine 

-Russia preparing for western-sponsored violence against ethnic Russian minority in Ukraine 

https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1492463774640476171
Russia and Putin really are the victims here.

Hopefully with a boatload of sanctions from us and our allies.  Not with troops.

I still don't understand what Putin hopes to gain from occupying a hostile country.  His own country is in pretty bad shape and severe sanctions will make things even more difficult. 
I completely agree with you. I know taking the Russians at their word is dangerous at best, but even tonight their official message was they are not going to invade, and they are just doing exercises.

Again, maybe where these is smoke, there is fire, but how many times does the United States participate in joint military exercises with different foreign nations? If every time that was perceived as a prelude to invasion--just saying....

Last edited by a moderator:
Russia and Putin really are the victims here.
and the ukraine, germany, us citizens and antiwar people in general.  thousands dying of covid and homeless people turning up on the street everyday while democrats drum up war with russia 

What’s this now?
It's bizarre to see people side with Putin. Putin is an expert at engineering reasons for a war (ask the Chechens). Now he's doing it right out in the open and it's sad to see people fall for it. 100k+ troops are just stationed there for defense. Right. War ships are there for defence. OK.

And to the people that say "it's Ukraines problem". Appeasing dictators usually works cause they totally stop once they get what the want. Putin stopped after annexing Crimea, just like Hitler stopped after annexing the sudetenland. I'm not saying that NATO should get involved in a war in Ukraine, but they should definitely support them in anyway possible.

It's also pretty misleading to pretend that Ukraine is blaming the US. They definitely called Biden out for using inflammatory language but they have been thanking NATO countries for the support they have received. https://www.euronews.com/2022/02/02/ukraine-crisis-mps-hold-up-flags-to-thank-countries-for-their-support

tymarsas said:
It's bizarre to see people side with Putin. 
Questioning a government that has a long history of lying about threats posed by other countries is not siding with Putin.

All the same people who spent the last 20 years lying to us about Afghanistan are still in charge. But I'm sure this Russia thing is completely on the level.

Questioning a government that has a long history of lying about threats posed by other countries is not siding with Putin.

All the same people who spent the last 20 years lying to us about Afghanistan are still in charge. But I'm sure this Russia thing is completely on the level.
You don't have to believe the government. You can read the BBC or Al Jazeera or whomever you like. Facts are facts. Russia has 130K troops on Ukraine's border. What is the "let's blame the US government" version of that? What's changed in the last 6 months that would justify Russia's action here?

You don't have to believe the government. You can read the BBC or Al Jazeera or whomever you like. Facts are facts. Russia has 130K troops on Ukraine's border. What is the "let's blame the US government" version of that? What's changed in the last 6 months that would justify Russia's action here?
What do you "justified"? Justified morally? That's not how foreign policy works.

Regarding the troop build up, we have to ask: what does Putin want? Of course he could seize vast swaths of Ukrainian territory with relative ease. But can he occupy that territory? 

While Putin may not have to worry about elections, if Russian soldiers come home in bodybags while the economy tanks as Russia is cut off from Western markets he may have his own Euromaidan to deal with.

Threatening an invasion destabilizes Ukraine and sends a message. It's not clear to me what actually invading would accomplish.

I think the administration is playing a dangerous game trying to escalate the possibility of war in order to claim credit for avoiding it (and goosing the profits of the arms manufacturers doesn't hurt either)

Edit: one additional point. Threatening an invasion has exposed divisions within NATO. Actually invading may have the effect of uniting NATO which Putin does not want.

What do you "justified"? Justified morally? That's not how foreign policy works.

Regarding the troop build up, we have to ask: what does Putin want? Of course he could seize cast swaths of Ukrainian territory with relative ease. But can he occupy that territory? 

While Putin may not have to worry about elections, if Russian soldiers come home in bodybags while the economy tanks as Russia is cut off from Western markets he may have his own Euromaidan to deal with.

Threatening an invasion destabilizes Ukraine and sends a message. It's not clear to me what actually invading would accomplish.

I think the administration is playing a dangerous game trying to escalate the possibility of war in order to claim credit for avoiding it (and goosing the profits of the arms manufacturers doesn't hurt either)

Edit: one additional point. Threatening an invasion has exposed divisions within NATO. Actually invading may the effect of uniting NATO which Putin does not want.
I generally agree with all of this. I've already stated multiple times that Putin won't invade because it would be too costly. But I wouldn't be surprised if he invaded and annexed eastern Ukraine "to protect the ethnic Russians".

What irritates me is that there is one person that is solely responsible for this mess. It is Putin. He put the 130k troops on the border. People like to blame Biden for using too strong of language like "imminent", but he is not the only world leader doing this. Has anyone been following what the UK government has been saying.

Nearly every country has been meeting with Putin and trying to de-escalate the situation and yet the one thing that would de-escalate, removing the troops, is not happening. When I say justify, I mean what reason does Putin have to put these troops there. He's trying to blame it on NATO, but there is no logical reason to do this other than to threaten Ukraine. There is no defensive motive here.

What irritates me is that there is one person that is solely responsible for this mess. It is Putin. He put the 130k troops on the border. 
Of course this true. More powerful countries threaten less powerful ones regularly. It's the way of the world.

But that doesn't mean one has to support the course of action this administration has chosen. And dissenting does not mean that one is "siding" with Putin. The casual nature of these smears is gross and has to stop.

Of course this true. More powerful countries threaten less powerful ones regularly. It's the way of the world.

But that doesn't mean one has to support the course of action this administration has chosen. And dissenting does not mean that one is "siding" with Putin. The casual nature of these smears is gross and has to stop.
Blaming the Democrats for drumming up war with Russia is definitely buying into Putin's narrative and thus siding with Putin.

It's like Putin is slowly loading a gun and pointing it at Ukraine's head while saying "trust me, I'm not going shoot you". Then when Biden says "he's about to shoot Ukraine", everyone jumps on Biden for calling it out instead of the guy with the gun.

It's like Putin is slowly loading a gun and pointing it at Ukraine's head while saying "trust me, I'm not going shoot you". Then when Biden says "he's about to shoot Ukraine", everyone jumps on Biden for calling it out instead of the guy with the gun.
The French, German, and most importantly Ukrainian governments have all publicly dissented from the Biden administration's assessments. Are they all on Putin's side too?

What is your assessment of Russia in regards to Ukraine?

The French, German, and most importantly Ukrainian governments have all publicly dissented from the Biden administration's assessments. Are they all on Putin's side too?
I think Ukraine has mostly dissented from calling it out, not from the assessment. I mean they are training civilians including children to fight. And are trying to get an emergency meeting with Russia. So pretty sure they are concerned about an invasion even if they are trying to act unconcerned.

Users who are viewing this thread