What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Gibbs resigns (1 Viewer)

dgreen

Footballguy
Just heard Gibbs will resign.

He was very noncommittal in his presser last night about staying on as coach and just kept saying he would speak with Snyder about the future of the organization.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't surprise me. This was their best season, and it wasn't so good. The NE game speaks volumes. You don't get beat like that when your coach has you prepared. They quit. The untimely death of Taylor brought the team together when he couldn't. That's what gave them the late season umph. Great past coach, just no more.

The NE game speaks volumes. You don't get beat like that when your coach has you prepared. They quit.
:lmao:
I don't buy that either. The Redskins aren't as good a team as the Patriots. It has nothing to do with preparation.Let's not forget that Gibbs is no spring chicken. This season (understandably) probably wore him out and IMO he's stepping away again at the right time. Gibbs has nothing to be ashamed of. For the most part, he did a tremendous job this season.

Good Luck Joe Gibbs. He was a great coach but I don't think he has the magic anymore.
I think he does. He got that team into the playoffs by winning out after the death of a pro bowl player.Was dreading the thought of Washington coming into Big D.

well, i'm a bit surprised he didn't finish out his 5 year deal but i think the team might have reached it's ceiling with gibbs as the coach. i'm glad he brought some much needed stability to the franchise but he wasn't the same coach he was before he retired the first time. hopefully we hire a real GM that won't tear the entire thing down. thanks for the memories, Joe. :rolleyes:

I think the only outside candidate they would consider is Bill Cowher. I think they will go for as much continuity as possible, so Gregg Williams has to be the favorite. If this happened last year with the defense and the team coming off a terrible season, they would probably go outside the organization.The big question: who takes over as the GM/team president role? I can't imaging Dan Snyder and Vinnie Cerato doing this.

Great, another team to compete with for a coach. And we don't even have a GM yet.
DC Gregg Williams will get the job. Bank on it.
I think it is in Gregg William's contract the he becomes the head coach. I think there was some clause that if he doesn't he gets some big bonus.
I think Williams gets a $1M bonus if he does not succeed Gibbs as head coach. He got that before Sanders was brought in. And Snyder really doesn't care about the money.Still, Williams has to be the heavy favorite.

Great, another team to compete with for a coach. And we don't even have a GM yet.
I think it is in Gregg William's contract the he becomes the head coach. I think there was some clause that if he doesn't he gets some big bonus.
That does seem to be the case:Wikipedia:
His 2006 contract extension stipulates that he will receive a $1 million bonus/compensation if he does not succeed Joe Gibbs as Redskins' Head Coach. He must still be with the team at the time of Gibbs's retirement.

That seems so UN-Synder like.I picture Cowher or Billick or a another big name type of hire.Not a Skins homer, so just my 0.02.
I would guess part of Gibbs' and Snyder's conversation last night was about the direction of the team and who might take over. Gibbs came back to get the Redskins back on track. I think he did that and he doesn't want to see it fall apart again.

My money would be on Williams to be the successor.

Sad day.. I remember the day the Redskins fired Steve Spurrier I sat at work all day trying to get through to Mike & The Mad Dog and was successful. I was so happy they got rid of that clown. Then exactly one week later they hired Joe Gibbs and I again got through to Mike & The Mad Dog screaming about how excited I was. It was all Redskins calls all day, it was the biggest news.

Do I think it was a success? I surely do. 2 playoffs in the last 4 years. Esp this past season with all the turmoil he was able to bring this team together. I don't expect many player changes... since Gibbs brought this team together this year. I look forward to a successful season next year behind Gregg Williams.

My only thing would be, if Campbell is going to be the QB, I'm not sure I'd like to see Saunders stick around.

If they go outside I think it will be Cowher or Grimm.
I dont believe Cowher wants to coach this year. I thought I heard next year at the earliest. :confused:
:moneybag: talks.
You dont think atlanta or miami would've paid him handsomely? :lol:
Whatever, they'd pay, Snyder would pay more.Plus, I don't see Cowher taking a rebuilding project.
Why? wouldn't that show his greatness? or does he just want a nice, easy cushy job?

I did not expect this at all. I thought he'd sign an extension for another few years. This is a gut shot - not quite on a par with Taylor's death, of course - but it gives this Skin lifer a deflated & depressing feeling.

While the overall record was under .500, two playoffs in four years in today's ultra competitive and parity-driven NFL is enough proof that the game did not pass him by. Maybe a timeout rule passed him by, but when you are a leader of men, you'll be a success, and that is the hallmark of one Joe Jackson Gibbs.

Good Bye coach, and thanks for restoring the Pride.

:moneybag:

I dont believe Cowher wants to coach this year. I thought I heard next year at the earliest. :confused:
You dont think atlanta or miami would've paid him handsomely? :confused:
Whatever, they'd pay, Snyder would pay more.Plus, I don't see Cowher taking a rebuilding project.
Why? wouldn't that show his greatness? or does he just want a nice, easy cushy job?
Cowher is a good coach but greatness? i don't think so.

You dont think atlanta or miami would've paid him handsomely? :confused:
Cowher is a good coach but greatness? i don't think so.
With Williams and Saunders on staff already and being 2 big name coordinators I would be willing to bet its one of them that gets it.

no way Williams takes over. Williams is not the sexy headline grabbing pick that Snyder is known for. Williams has the $1 million clause but Snyder laughs at that.

There were rumored talks between Cower and some NFL teams back in June/July about interest in becoming their head coach down the line. The Redskins were among those teams. Snyder will be able to pay Cower an #### load of money the only thing would be if Snyder is willing to give up some of his influence on the team. Cower is going to want total control and Snyder has to be willing to put his ego aside and let Cower coach. For the rest of you that live in DC you know how challenging that will be for him.

Snyder will gladly pay Cower whatever he wants per year to coach. The Redskins are one of the most successful sports teams in the country so money is no object to him.

There are a lot of good coaches/coordinators out there because of this I do not see Snyder picking Williams. Especially since Baltimore is looking for a coach as well.

A dark horse pick? Jon Gruden. Just throwing it out there but he is going into his last year of his contract and crazier things have happened. He would have to either be fired or resign before this could happen so it is probably very unlikely. Gruden seems to be happy in Tampa despite him not getting an extension yet.

Personally I am rooting for Cower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link

Joe Gibbs Resigns as Redskins Head Coach

Redskins coach Joe Gibbs is resigning, according to Redskins sources. The team is planning a news conference this afternoon to discuss the Hall of Famer's decision to leave as both coach and team president.

Gibbs will stay with the Redskins organization in some capacity, perhaps as a consultant to team owner Dan Snyder, team officials said.

No decision has been made on a replacement for Gibbs, who has spent a total 16 years with the organization in two stints. A process will be put in place, team sources said, to choose one.

Gibbs, who was inducted into the football Hall of Fame after guiding the team to three Super Bowls in his first 12-year term as coach, enjoyed far less success since coming out of retirement four years ago to a five-year, $27.5 million contract. Two of his three losing seasons as an NFL head coach have come since 2004.

While the Redskins ended 2007 with a 9-7 record and a trip to the playoffs, it was also emotionally trying for the 67-year-old, who had to lead the team through the aftermath of star safety Sean Taylor's murder.

In a season wrap-up press conference yesterday, Gibbs seemed to leave his options open, even though he has a year remaining on his current deal with Snyder.

Gibbs' decision leaves in transition a team that began the season with mixed success on the field, was devastated by Taylor's killing, but ended with a sense of momentum and potential after a four-game winning streak. They lost in Saturday's playoff round to the Seattle Seahawks.

Snyder has a track record of spending liberally on his coaching staff, and the search for Gibbs' replacement will be closely watched.

Current assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams will likely be a strong candidate. Several veteran players contacted in the last few days said that if Gibbs did leave -- a development they regarded as unlikely -- they felt Williams should inherit the team. Under his current contract he would receive $1 million if he is passed over for the job.

Assistant head coach-offense Al Saunders has previous NFL experience, but his management of the team's offense has been criticized since he arrived in Washington for the 2006 season.

Former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher has been approached by several NFL teams, but insisted he is taking a two year sabbatical from the NFL. However two NFL general managers contacted in recent days said they would expect the Redskins to contact him in the event Gibbs left.

Gibbs inherited a pile of steaming crap when he took over that team after the Spurrier years. To make the playoffs in 2 of those 4 seasons, and to now have a strong core of players who aren't over the hill, I think he did a great job. I'm sure he also believed that a younger coach could give more to the organization than he could, thus he stepped down, and walked away from $5 million. I have more respect for this man than any coach to ever lead an NFL team.

I would bet money that it will be Williams or Saunders. My guess is that Gibbs got Snyder to agree to one or the other before he would step down.

Gregg Williams has to be the early favorite with that agreement in his back pocket. If it goes to the end of the week with out him being named then there should be a new guy in town.

Russ Grimm would be a great guy since he has the past with the team and is considered to have a bright future.

Cowher will stick to his word IMO.

Saunders IMO will not make a good head guy.

It's from PFT, so take it with a grain of salt-

POSTED 9:58 a.m. EST, January 8, 2008WILLIAMS HAS NO GUARANTEE by Michael David Smith A league source tells PFT that contrary to popular belief, there is no guarantee in the contract of assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams that he will either be Joe Gibbs' successor or receive a bonus payment from owner Dan Snyder.Multiple media reports have indicated that Williams had been promised either the head-coaching job when Gibbs left, or, at minimum, that Snyder would pay Williams a million-dollar bonus if he were not offered the job upon Gibbs' departure.But in reality, there is no such deal in place. Although Williams' contract pays him a higher salary to run the defense than some NFL head coaches make, Williams won't necessarily get a big check from Snyder if he isn't named the Redskins' next head coach.

Link

Bye Joe

Everyone here at Redskins Park is pretty stunned. One staff member who was in the room at 9 am when Joe Gibbs informed the coaches of his decision said: "I am shocked and numb." The strong sentiment from the playters and people inside here I spoke to today is that Gregg Williams should get the job, and that's coming from offensive and defensive players alike.

One former Redskin, who speaks daily to many of his former teammates, said: "It has to be Gregg, there's no doubt about it. If they go from outside guys will be pissed. Unless they want to tear up the team and go with a different group of guys, it has to be Gregg."

Spoke to some people close to Russ Grimm, a former Redskin and longtime esteemed NFL assistant, who said that his current team, Arizona, had not been contacted by the Redskins at this point. Bill Cowher, former Super Bowl coach with Pittsburgh, will be a name everyone talks about as well.

Jason Reid just spent some time alone with starting WR Antwaan Randle El, who played on Cowher championship team in Pittsburgh. Randle El voiced strong support for Gregg Williams: I want the best coach for the job and Gregg is certainly at the top of the list, no doubt. I would love to see him get it just cause we've gotten going with the crew that we have here. I would love to see Gregg keep it and let's keep our offensive coordinators. Let's keep all that intact."

Gibbs would commit to virtually nothing during his press conference Monday, but did say that he wanted to retain the coaching staff. As most are in their final year of the contract - and some, like LB Coach Kirk Olivadati, have contacts that are expiring - there would have to be a round of contract extensions in that case.

Spoke to the agents for several prominant coaches and coaching candidates this morning who said they all believed that Williams would get the job, but that was just their reading of the situation and did not come from conversations with Gibnbs or Snyder.

Snyder loves Joe and no doubt Gibbs's voice will carry heavy weight with ownership as they sort through this process.

It's from PFT, so take it with a grain of salt-

POSTED 9:58 a.m. EST, January 8, 2008

WILLIAMS HAS NO GUARANTEE by Michael David Smith

A league source tells PFT that contrary to popular belief, there is no guarantee in the contract of assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams that he will either be Joe Gibbs' successor or receive a bonus payment from owner Dan Snyder.

Multiple media reports have indicated that Williams had been promised either the head-coaching job when Gibbs left, or, at minimum, that Snyder would pay Williams a million-dollar bonus if he were not offered the job upon Gibbs' departure.

But in reality, there is no such deal in place. Although Williams' contract pays him a higher salary to run the defense than some NFL head coaches make, Williams won't necessarily get a big check from Snyder if he isn't named the Redskins' next head coach.
That is what is going around on the various Redskins message boards as well.I wouldn't expect Williams to be named the coach right away even if he does take over the team (unlikely IMO). Let's not forget the Rooney Rule which leads credence to Williams not having that specific clause in his contract.

I dont believe Cowher wants to coach this year. I thought I heard next year at the earliest. :shrug:
:shrug: talks.
You dont think atlanta or miami would've paid him handsomely? :no:
Washington is going to have serious salary cap problems for the next 3-5 years.

Farewell Coach Joe. Thanks for coming back and trying. The Skins are in a much better place than they were when he got here.

Well, I'm somewhat surprised, but I too noted Gibbs' noncommittal responses to questions about this. Gibbs still has all of his organizational, motivational and team building people skills. It seemed like that his impact on the games was no longer occurring on Sunday, but was instead limited to Monday through Saturday though. No more halftime adjustments, etc., and I think he recognized that which is why he hired Saunders halfway through this four-year run. I'll always appreciate his work for my favorite professional sports team and classy and honorable way in which he went about it. He's rebuilt this team from teh disastrous Spurrier years into one that should compete for a playoff spot every year and, with some more tweaks and development players, into the playoffs.

As a Skins fan, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm sure it's what the players will want, though.
I'm not sure what to think of Williams either, if that's who they go with. I'm hopeful that he's learned enough working with Gibbs to improve his people skills, which is where I think he was lacking.The lack of a GM without Gibbs there now has me greatly concerned.

I dont believe Cowher wants to coach this year. I thought I heard next year at the earliest. :homer:
:yes: talks.
You dont think atlanta or miami would've paid him handsomely? :homer:
Washington is going to have serious salary cap problems for the next 3-5 years.
People said the same thing a few years back about 2005-2007 and they seemed to have restructured and spent some money in free agency. Now of course the argument can be made that they didn't spend the money wisely (see Brandon Lloyd and Arch). But they were able to restructure a number of deals and continue to spend money.

My opinion is that Joe has serious medical issues that are forcing this move. He has diabetes and the stress, late nights and other gut wrenching decisions that a head coach and team president has to make have to taken a toll on him. He's 67 years old, too. Now while John McCain may want to be president at age 71, lots of 67 YOs with the resume of St. Joe Gibbs are playing golf and relaxing in Florida.

Farewell, Joe and thanks for the memories and the many, many years of service to the burgundy and gold.

Users who are viewing this thread