What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Freeman Released. Signs with Vikings. (1 Viewer)

The Vikings are first and foremost a rushing team. They will be as long as they have AP. However, what they've really missed in this offense is someone who could throw a great deep ball to keep the safeties from jamming the box. Freeman has the potential to fill that role. For all his faults, he has a cannon arm and throws a beautiful deep ball. Anyone doubting that just has to look at Vincent Jackson's 19.2 YPC last year.

What is going to be interesting is finding out why a guy who looked like a future star in this league only 3 years ago has regressed to this point. I don't believe that someone goes from a guy with +60% accuracy in year 2 and 3 to a guy with 45% accuracy in his 5th year. It just doesn't feel right. If this turns out to be a coaching failure by Greg Schiano(which would surprise no one), then the Vikings got an absolute steal. If it turns out he really is regressing like this, then they are back in the same boat they were yesterday.... needing to draft a QB. All in all, I see this as a great chance for Freeman and a great chance for Minnesota. It'll be fun to see what transpires.
this is a great post--with some nice analysis. With what you are saying--this should bode well for cordarrelle--as he can really get some separation for the deep ball. One thing that Freeman didn't have in Minnesota is an escape valve in a Tight End. I also think that Rudolph can really help open things up for everybody as well. Just seeing how the offense looked better with cassell versus Ponder was eye opening. It certainly seems as Freeman would be an upgrade from cassell--so I think you make some great points.

Reminds me of when the Eagles picked up Vick with McNabb and Kolb still in the fold. Vikings have to be thinking they can move either Cassel or Ponder somewhere down the road.

Reminds me of when the Eagles picked up Vick with McNabb and Kolb still in the fold. Vikings have to be thinking they can move either Cassel or Ponder somewhere down the road.
Cassel or maybe even Ponder though to a lesser extent would be an upgrade for the Jags...

This is what I'm thinking. They've moved on from Ponder and have a deal sitting out there for either him or Cassel. This whole deal doesn't make any sense to me. (Not that I'm opposed to it at all.) See ya Ponder !

No chance they could get any return for Ponder or Cassel. Freeman probably has more value than they do and he was just outright dropped.

OK so this is THE ""OFFICIAL"" thread. lol

Why do the Vikings make this deal?

Who's the starter?

Who's on the way out?

Is there a fantasy football shark play here?
Patterson, perhaps? He's got talent - Cassel didn't pay much attention to him (and Ponder is just meh), but could Freeman make him relevant?

Cassel or maybe even Ponder though to a lesser extent would be an upgrade for the Jags...
Why would the Jags give up anything for either one of those scubs? Their QB of 2014 is Bridgewater/Mariota/Hundley/Boyd.

No chance they could get any return for Ponder or Cassel. Freeman probably has more value than they do and he was just outright dropped.
This is just a thought--nothing more than pure speculation. Is there any chance that Cleveland continues its fire sale and tries to move Gordon? Hoyer is out for the season--and they aren't sold on Weedon. They could probably use a decent backup qb--and Gordon could make what already looks like a dynamic offense even more dynamic. Could this even be viable?

Why would the Jags give up anything for either one of those scubs? Their QB of 2014 is Bridgewater/Mariota/Hundley/Boyd.
Yeah, tanking the season is the proper play for the Jags

How many times has a QB switched teams mid-season and been successful?

They're paying him $3 million so you have to think he's going to start at some point. I don't expect this to go well.

This is just a thought--nothing more than pure speculation. Is there any chance that Cleveland continues its fire sale and tries to move Gordon? Hoyer is out for the season--and they aren't sold on Weedon. They could probably use a decent backup qb--and Gordon could make what already looks like a dynamic offense even more dynamic. Could this even be viable?
Sure. Cassel plus Minny's 2014 1st for Gordon would get it done.

That's tempting. However the Vikes in that scenario would really have to commit to Freeman. It leaves them without a chance for a QB in a QB loaded draft. At least not a premier one. Think that's too heavy a price for Minn.

I would be willing the Vikes will at least chum the water with the Buffalo Bills about Ponder going to Buffalo to backup Manuel for a conditional late round pick. Freeman will be the starter within 3 weeks and we will see if he gets an extension and we can then go Clowney or Nix with our top 5 pick instead of a QB.

Yah...Vikes aren't going after Gordon. If anything, I see them re-signing Winfield or trading for secondary help with the injuries they've had.

As for Freeman, I don't think he'd start after only 1 week of practice, so I bet we see Cassel start this week against Carolina (Ponder is likely to be out for injury anyways) and we don't see Freeman for at least 2 or 3 weeks. And that's only if he picks things up really fast. But 1 year contract means the Vikes don't get anything out of this if they don't get him on the field sooner rather than later, so even if it is with a limited playbook, he'll be in there.

The big question, if they don't/can't trade Ponder, is does he even start another game? Leaning towards no, his injury is supposed to keep him out 2, maybe 3 more games, and Freeman should be ready by then. This is a huge no-confidence vote, and probably the end of Ponder's starting job for the foresee-able future.

That's tempting. However the Vikes in that scenario would really have to commit to Freeman. It leaves them without a chance for a QB in a QB loaded draft. At least not a premier one. Think that's too heavy a price for Minn.
While you might have a point--but a lot of the solid qb's in this years draft are not projected to go in the first round. I've heard reports saying that Manziel is most likely not a first round pick. Freeman basically has a one year deal--Ap realistically probably has one or two good years left in him--if they get a guy like Gordon, and couple him with a guy like Cordarrelle, and still have Jennings and Rudolph--and the future qb could be a guy like Manziel--it certainly could be tempting. You're right-- I don't think it's probable that it would happen---but it certainly would be interesting.

I would be willing the Vikes will at least chum the water with the Buffalo Bills about Ponder going to Buffalo to backup Manuel for a conditional late round pick. Freeman will be the starter within 3 weeks and we will see if he gets an extension and we can then go Clowney or Nix with our top 5 pick instead of a QB.
It is hard to make much sense out of this deal. It is like an expensive 4 month tryout with the Vikings. They have to decide by the end of the year if he is a keeper or let him walk.

How soon can he know enough of the playbook to be the starter? Against Carolina? 2 to 3 weeks (that was what I was thinking).

It is hard to make much sense out of this deal. It is like an expensive 4 month tryout with the Vikings. They have to decide by the end of the year if he is a keeper or let him walk.
I think it's proof the Vikings have moved on from Ponder. I think they're planning to either sink or swim. Freeman comes in and either shows he can be a franchise QB or he falls on his face. Either way, the Vikings know they aren't winning anything with Ponder or Cassel leading the team. If Freeman shows he can be the guy, they'll sign him to a contract next year. If not, he walks and the Vikings are drafting a QB... pretty much where they are already.

This guy has been horrible for the past 10+ games and people are already penciling him in as Minnesota's savior. :lol:
The Vikings are starting Christian Ponder. I think that speaks for itself. Also, Greg Schiano is a terrible coach and won't have a job after this year. Sooner, if Freeman comes into Minnesota and succeeds in any way.

I think it says more about their opinion of Ponder than it does how they like Freeman. I mean if they trusted Ponder, why not go out and sign some Joe Schmoe off the street for a few weeks to get you through the injury? Why go after the premier FA QB? I think they get Ponder out ASAP and use Freeman as the intermediary until they get their next rookie developed.

This guy has been horrible for the past 10+ games and people are already penciling him in as Minnesota's savior. :lol:
Ponder has shown zero growth from last year, and while he will have a good game here and there, it's becoming more apparent he isn't going to be even a game manager. Cassel is ... well, he looked decent last week, but was 3 lucky plays from 3 turnovers, and was a turnover machine in KC. Again, not the answer. Freeman does look like an improvement over their situation, with that "chance" that he has been mismanaged and on a bad team.

Vikes season is going nowhere fast, but they are only a couple of defensive plays from being 3-1 right now. So...glad to see the Vikings management isn't going to just throw in the towel on the season and are trying to make some moves, even if this isn't a sure thing by any means. And if it works out, Vikes can focus on the DLine in round 1 next year, which is a significant need. (Although, I'd say if they still miss the playoffs after this move, which is the most likely scenario, they should still draft the best QB available)

bizarre signing.

i don't understand why vince young was blackballed by the nfl but this bum isnt

bizarre signing.

Being blackballed doesn't mean being given 10 opportunities and never being good enough to take advantage of them. Just FYI.

bizarre signing.

Being blackballed doesn't mean being given 10 opportunities and never being good enough to take advantage of them. Just FYI.
Lol. Funny thing is that this guy was Tebow before Tebow. Was terrible but always pulled games out in stupid fashion so people got the impression they could play and belonged on a team. Only difference is that VY actually at least resembled a QB.

But Ponder is better than those guys and at least could serve as a career backup, which I do think is his future.

bizarre signing.

While there are rumors of bizarre behavior on Freeman's part, VY had a few very public breakdowns with even more disturbing rumors of further destructive behavior. Freeman has a ways to go before his on and off the field failures make him too risky. He couldn't win a spot on a team that barely needs a backup, that speaks volumes about him.

While you might have a point--but a lot of the solid qb's in this years draft are not projected to go in the first round. I've heard reports saying that Manziel is most likely not a first round pick. Freeman basically has a one year deal--Ap realistically probably has one or two good years left in him--if they get a guy like Gordon, and couple him with a guy like Cordarrelle, and still have Jennings and Rudolph--and the future qb could be a guy like Manziel--it certainly could be tempting. You're right-- I don't think it's probable that it would happen---but it certainly would be interesting.
If the Vikings go with Manziel as the future at QB Spielman should be fired right along with the coaching staff.

This is just another thought. I'm not sure if I'm remembering right--but I think I read something about the rib that Ponder broke being fairly close to his heart. The possibility is that maybe Ponder is further away from returning that we all think. Not only that-- if Ponder was truly close to suffering a potentially life threatening injury--who knows what his mental toughness is like right now. It really is a weird deal because it feels like the Vikings kinda swept in and handled things very quickly. Don't get me wrong--the way Ponder was playing even before he got hurt probably wasn't enough to deserve job security--but I do wonder if there is more to his injury than we are aware of.

This is just another thought. I'm not sure if I'm remembering right--but I think I read something about the rib that Ponder broke being fairly close to his heart. The possibility is that maybe Ponder is further away from returning that we all think. Not only that-- if Ponder was truly close to suffering a potentially life threatening injury--who knows what his mental toughness is like right now. It really is a weird deal because it feels like the Vikings kinda swept in and handled things very quickly. Don't get me wrong--the way Ponder was playing even before he got hurt probably wasn't enough to deserve job security--but I do wonder if there is more to his injury than we are aware of.
Yeah, you have to wonder if Ponder is going to go on IR (maybe with the eligibility to return designation).

It is a funny situation. Prior to the season, if someone told me that the Vikings could get Freeman without giving up a draft pick I would be all for it. Now, not so much. It really depends if they can retrain him. He has the ability to make all the throws.

I think the Vikings like Freeman because he has beat the Vikings more than once. You see it all the time - players get signed as free agents to teams that they played well against.

Last edited by a moderator:
chipscoggins ‏@chipscoggins

Freeman is coming to Twin Cities tomorrow morning. Ten teams expressed interest in him.

The Vikes could go best Defensive player in the 1st round and a project QB in the 2nd. There are a bunch of QB's in this next draft and there will be good ones in the 2nd round for the taking. Assuming Bridgewater, Hundley, Mariota, Boyd, and Manziel all go in the 1st round, the 2nd round would be stocked with the likes of Murray, McCarron, Fales, Carr, Morris, Mettenberger, and possibly Bortles if his stock keeps rising. I would support drafting a young developmental QB while Freeman starts for a couple years. I would use our 1st round pick and both of our 3rd round picks and 4th round pick to beef up our DL and Secondary. Not too concerned with LB as I really believe Mauti and Hodges are the future at MLB and WLB.

It seems pretty simple -- either Freeman's a cokehead partier, or Schiano sabotaged his QB (and his team). Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years.

Not sure what to make of this.

Best thing about it is this indicates the Vikings are not going to give Ponder the benefit of the doubt as a starter anymore.

Remains to be seen how Freeman fits in with the team and scheme. I think Cassel continues as the starter until he fails. Freeman is insurance.

Just yesterday I was reading in the Bills thread that FS Byrd is on the trade block. He is a player the Vikings could really use to improve their secondary. So perhaps signing Freeman will give the Vikings the opportunity to trade a QB to the Bills for Byrd?

Speilman seems to be a big fan of 1 year contracts. 2014 Vikings could look like an entirely different team with all the players with 1 year deals right now. The Vikings will also play outdoors next season.. not sure if Freeman will want to stick around for that. Could be part of it.

They must have been ok with Freeman from the interview, whatever questions they asked him. The Vikings put a lot of emphasis on character and team chemistry. They also ignore it if necessary (CB Cook comes to mind). Maybe they feel they have enough good apples that Freeman cannot rock the cart. Or maybe Freeman is not a bad apple. Remains to be seen on that.

Freeman certainly can throw deep. So that helps. But I cannot say Freeman has proven to be very accurate. With the Bucs he threw a lot of jump balls to a spot and just depends on the receiver to get it. That was part of the scheme and talent of the WR as well. But does not seem like a good recipe for what the Vikings want their QB to do, which is not turn the ball over.

Mostly hoping this leads to a trade with the Bills for Byrd.

It seems pretty simple -- either Freeman's a cokehead partier, or Schiano sabotaged his QB (and his team). Will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years.
The reasons Josh Freeman is a Viking:

The Bucs are 1-8 in his last nine starts. He has 8 TDs and 13 INTs in those games with a completion percentage of 50.16%. He has cracked 300 yards just once in those starts. He threw 4 interceptions in that particular game. He's only thrown for over 250 yards in three of his last 9 starts. He missed his own football camp. He has missed team meetings. He missed the team photo.

Maybe he and Schiano didn't gel, but not all of the blame is on the coach here. What else was he supposed to do? Those are atrocious numbers. Schiano didn't sabotage this kid in favor of "his guy." The Bucs built a talented team around Josh. He cracked under the pressure.

The Bucs are 1-8 in his last nine starts. He has 8 TDs and 13 INTs in those games with a completion percentage of 50.16%. He has cracked 300 yards just once in those starts. He threw 4 interceptions in that particular game. He's only thrown for over 250 yards in three of his last 9 starts. He missed his own football camp. He has missed team meetings. He missed the team photo.

Maybe he and Schiano didn't gel, but not all of the blame is on the coach here. What else was he supposed to do? Those are atrocious numbers. Schiano didn't sabotage this kid in favor of "his guy." The Bucs built a talented team around Josh. He cracked under the pressure.
If Freeman was a very good young QB before Schiano and turns back into a good QB after he's shut of Schiano I'm perfectly comfortable saying Schiano was the problem.

Not saying that today though -- I think that the whole party/drugs thing sounds at least somewhat plausible.

If Freeman was a very good young QB before Schiano and turns back into a good QB after he's shut of Schiano I'm perfectly comfortable saying Schiano was the problem.

Not saying that today though -- I think that the whole party/drugs thing sounds at least somewhat plausible.
The passing offense they are running in Tampa Bay is full of 50-50 throws. That is why Freeman is at about 50% completion rate. It's a function of the play calling. Too many jump ball throws and not enough safe throws being called. And let's face it Schiano has had the hots for Glennon since he refused his advances during recruiting. There was no doubt he would get on the field once he was drafted. I think Schiano has put his butt in a sling and he better hope Glennon can pull it out.

The passing offense they are running in Tampa Bay is full of 50-50 throws. That is why Freeman is at about 50% completion rate. It's a function of the play calling. Too many jump ball throws and not enough safe throws being called. And let's face it Schiano has had the hots for Glennon since he refused his advances during recruiting. There was no doubt he would get on the field once he was drafted. I think Schiano has put his butt in a sling and he better hope Glennon can pull it out.
Yes, the offense is a vertical one, but Josh was continually missing the "easy" throws as well. How many QB's would keep their jobs if they put up a 9 game stretch like that?

Is it possible that Freeman intentionally played his way out of Tampa? Seems odd that he went from being pretty good to dreadful overnight.

Is it possible that Freeman intentionally played his way out of Tampa? Seems odd that he went from being pretty good to dreadful overnight.
It's certainly possible. He wouldn't be the first athlete to do such a thing. What's so mind boggling to me is how he fell apart after his stretch to start 2012 where he was an MVP candidate after 10 games. Where did that player go? He had the exact same coaching staff and exact same players surrounding him in those games that he had in the past 9 games.

I don't see any reason why he'd intentionally tank it when the Bucs were in the playoff hunt. He would have been due a huge contract if he could have continued that pace, or at least played a bit better than average down the stretch.

Then the front office went out and invested even more in the team this off-season without doing anything to address the QB position other than drafting Glennon, and I don't think Mike Glennon was drafted to start in week 4 this season. That couldn't have been the master plan.

I wish him the best and hope he's successful in Minnesota as I've been defending him against the doubters here for years. I wanted him to be the guy in Tampa for years to come. That being said, I can't blame Schiano or the front office. Josh has been horrible.

good signing by the Vikes, Ponder is what he is and now hes got competition while Cassel was nothing more than a stopgap Backup. Wonder if Ponder is hurt more than we know.

After last night I thought for sure Freeman was going to Houston.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's certainly possible. He wouldn't be the first athlete to do such a thing. What's so mind boggling to me is how he fell apart after his stretch to start 2012 where he was an MVP candidate after 10 games. Where did that player go? He had the exact same coaching staff and exact same players surrounding him in those games that he had in the past 9 games.

I don't see any reason why he'd intentionally tank it when the Bucs were in the playoff hunt. He would have been due a huge contract if he could have continued that pace, or at least played a bit better than average down the stretch.

Then the front office went out and invested even more in the team this off-season without doing anything to address the QB position other than drafting Glennon, and I don't think Mike Glennon was drafted to start in week 4 this season. That couldn't have been the master plan.

I wish him the best and hope he's successful in Minnesota as I've been defending him against the doubters here for years. I wanted him to be the guy in Tampa for years to come. That being said, I can't blame Schiano or the front office. Josh has been horrible.
Schiano has be awful, the front office was doing a good job in building a team and he just ruined it

KellysHeroes said:
Grahamburn said:
Funkley said:

Schiano has be awful, the front office was doing a good job in building a team and he just ruined it
I agree that he seems terrible but (help me out here Bucs fans) when he came in, didn't things seem to immediately imrpove? Didn't they go from a terrible team to begin looking like thye were on the right path and won more games in a tough division?

But, yeah, to be honest, I mentally checked out on this staff when they pulled that "crash the victory formation" stuff. That is so bush league that you can just kinda tell that a coach isn't going to last long in the NFL with that mindset. This isn;t college. This isn't rah rah. You can get away with that if you have a ton of talent but otherwise you are painting a target on yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread