What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Freeman Released. Signs with Vikings. (1 Viewer)

@PewterReport: Bucs coach Greg Schiano told season ticket holders this morning that the Bucs were the laughingstock of the NFL and that's why he was hired.

@PewterReport: Schiano said to season ticket holders this morning this "situation needed Greg Schiano."

:lmao: I hate him so ####ing much.
Not thrilled about him renting my shtick here.

Schiano has a coaching disabilty.
Im in CLE staying at a certain hotel crowded with NFL media.

I just got told a story that Schiano has his own sideline filmed during losses to account for the players that dont look po'd enough and/or are too nice to others on the field/sideline when the clock winds down. I have to admit that can bug me as a fan, but for a coach to do that? It would erode my trust in him quickly.
3 inches erect, tops

Though I don't speak for the Raiders, just want to throw it out there that Raiders OC Greg Olson was Josh Freeman's OC during the Raheem years. They do not get along, oil & water. So go ahead and cross the Raiders off your list. Just throwing that out there.

Honestly, the Bucs and more so Schiano should be ashamed of what they did to this kid. I really hope someone like the Vikings sign him and he has a resurgence. Schiano has had it out for him since day one for some reason. And the whole thing with them leaking his private medical history. It's just ridiculous. I'm really rooting for Freeman to find a spot on a team and start performing better than Glennon. I'd love to see him go to Minnesota or Tennessee and bring them to the playoffs. While the Bucs fade away at 3-13.
I agree. Schiano just seems like a total tool. Hope this blows right up in his face and he faces disciplinary action for the leak.

Horrible move by the Bucs. The baby whines, acts up, goes on ESPN, misses meetings, etc. and they give him exactly what he wanted... They should have kept fining him and suspended him for 4 weeks. At least wait until the trade deadline to release the guy.

I don't like the head coach, but he wasn't Freemans problem. Freeman has sucked ever since 2010.

I am just glad they didn't give him a huge contract like Flacco.
Thought you were talking about the coach there for a minute.

FWIW, Jags beat writer just tweeted not to expect Freeman with the Jags.
This tells you all you need to know about how bad Josh has been for the last nine games...
I think it's more of the fact that they're looking three+ years down the road and want a franchise QB in next year's draft.

Freeman is a functional NFL QB that can do some decent things for you. He's a huge upgrade over the backup QB on just about every contender.

But he's not a franchise QB.

When I saw the NFLPA getting involved, this was inevitable. The Bucs don't want to have to deal with the fallout and they were going on a path where they were going to basically tie Freeman to the post and whip him thru suspensions and fines to make his life hell, NFLPA steps in and says OK Schiano now you belong to us, we want a full blown investigation...Bucs front office ####s a brick and they decide better to release him and get some distance between the two parties.

Have you ever seen a 1st round pick at QB dumped 4 games into the season? I have to think the Bucs locker room is just ready to punch Schiano out, would not shock me if a report comes out where players and coaches need to be separated.

Bucs owners must be in Schiano's camp though, you don't jettison the starting QB unless you believe in the coach, Schiano will stay till the end of season I guess. Any chance he is coaching in 2014 in Tampa?

If Glazers can get the right coach hired, he'll be the next Harbaugh/Reid, inheritting a team with enough talent to compete but terrible coaching.

Bucs owners must be in Schiano's camp though, you don't jettison the starting QB unless you believe in the coach, Schiano will stay till the end of season I guess. Any chance he is coaching in 2014 in Tampa?
Not a chance. Bucs fans are already staying away in protest. I know some season ticket holders who are sick of it already and won't go till Schiano goes. The Glazers are going to feel the pinch if the revolt catches fire. Schiano is a dead man walking. He's lost 9 out his last 10 games. The one meaningful game he won was to a game that already clinched the home field playoffs and didn't care. So throw that one away. Or if we are being generous, give him his .100 winning percentage.

This tells you all you need to know about how bad Josh has been for the last nine games...
I think it's more of the fact that they're looking three+ years down the road and want a franchise QB in next year's draft.

Freeman is a functional NFL QB that can do some decent things for you. He's a huge upgrade over the backup QB on just about every contender.

They absolutely cannot be looking 3 years down the road. Revis, Nicks, VJax, Goldson, maybe even Martin will be out of the league or severely diminished.

This is a team with talent to be in a win now state. Except for their coach and QB (who will both be new next year).

I find it much more likely they trade to trade for a vet like Big Ben than they go through a rookie.

Not a chance. Bucs fans are already staying away in protest. I know some season ticket holders who are sick of it already and won't go till Schiano goes. The Glazers are going to feel the pinch if the revolt catches fire. Schiano is a dead man walking. He's lost 9 out his last 10 games. The one meaningful game he won was to a game that already clinched the home field playoffs and didn't care. So throw that one away. Or if we are being generous, give him his .100 winning percentage.
I give them 2 more games before the coach is fired

They absolutely cannot be looking 3 years down the road. Revis, Nicks, VJax, Goldson, maybe even Martin will be out of the league or severely diminished.

This is a team with talent to be in a win now state. Except for their coach and QB (who will both be new next year).

I find it much more likely they trade to trade for a vet like Big Ben than they go through a rookie.
Interesting, they did the same when they brought in Brad Johnson who was never a HoF type but certainly could manage a game better than Trent Dilfer did when in Tampa...and BJ was a bigger contributor on the TB Super Bowl team than Dilfer ever was in Balt.

I would rather they get a QB who they can win now with. Unfortunately, much easier said than done.

The truth to this story is somewhere in the middle: Schiano for all intents and purposes is a total asswipe. But he doesn't strike me as a stupid asswipe. You don't just release viable NFL quarterbacks.

I'm sure Freeman did enough behind the scenes to wear out his welcome. So to me that's the bigger question. How big of a d-bag is Freeman?

They should've taken Freeman and Schiano out back, shot Schiano, then Freeman and staged it as a murder suicide... 2 birds, one stone.

I just got told a story that Schiano has his own sideline filmed during losses to account for the players that dont look po'd enough and/or are too nice to others on the field/sideline when the clock winds down. I have to admit that can bug me as a fan, but for a coach to do that? It would erode my trust in him quickly.
same team that started a fight at a kneel down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8W5vVj7Ww

2010 Freeman had accuracy, the ability to escape the rush in the pocket, and create something with his legs out of the pocket. 2013 Freeman has none of those characteristics. Not sure if it is because of (alleged) drugs, the weight of his hidden (alleged) homosexuality coming to bear, or that he's just not a committed professional, but this isn't the same guy who looked like a budding superstar in the video above.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think he was taling about why Jax wouldn't sign him

I really don't get why Schiano's name is so closely associated with everything that is happening with Josh Freeman. THE JAGS DON'T WANT HIM! And that is at vet min. THat is all you need to know right there. Say Schiano is a dictator, college coach, out of his league, etc., but let's not blame him for Josh sucking.

Start up a fire Schiano thread if you want to talk about him. Which I will happily participate in.

What about the backup job in GB for the rest of the year? Then fight for a starting job somewhere else next year?

I really don't get why Schiano's name is so closely associated with everything that is happening with Josh Freeman. THE JAGS DON'T WANT HIM! And that is at vet min. THat is all you need to know right there. Say Schiano is a dictator, college coach, out of his league, etc., but let's not blame him for Josh sucking.

Start up a fire Schiano thread if you want to talk about him. Which I will happily participate in.
One of the HCs primary jobs is to get the best from his players. Seems like Schiano failed pretty miserably given that Freeman's trajectory was on the way up before his hiring.

As to landing spots, KC seems like a good fit. Reid's shown he can turn troubled QBs around and though Smith has been good this year, I doubt KC sees him as a long term answer. Let Freeman get his head on right, get mentored by Reid and if Smith is the answer, you got some pretty decent trade bait in Freeman.

Honestly, the Bucs and more so Schiano should be ashamed of what they did to this kid. I really hope someone like the Vikings sign him and he has a resurgence. Schiano has had it out for him since day one for some reason. And the whole thing with them leaking his private medical history. It's just ridiculous. I'm really rooting for Freeman to find a spot on a team and start performing better than Glennon. I'd love to see him go to Minnesota or Tennessee and bring them to the playoffs. While the Bucs fade away at 3-13.
What did they do to him? They drafted him in the first round, paid him millions of dollars, and surrounded him with talent only to watch him lose 5 out of 6 to end last year and lose the first three games this year?

What else should the Bucs front office have done? Pat him on the butt and say "go get em next time big guy?" This is professional sports.
I could probably buy your point if I didn't know guys like Blaine grabbers were still starters in this league

I wouldnt rule out any team really. I would say jags need a qb the most. The jets love a qb controversy. A division rival like the panthers. Who knows?
Bears need a backup bad. Eventually they have to accept that Cutler is not the answer. Wouldn't be bad to get someone that could at least hold down the fort until we can get a real replacement.

One of the HCs primary jobs is to get the best from his players. Seems like Schiano failed pretty miserably given that Freeman's trajectory was on the way up before his hiring.

As to landing spots, KC seems like a good fit. Reid's shown he can turn troubled QBs around and though Smith has been good this year, I doubt KC sees him as a long term answer. Let Freeman get his head on right, get mentored by Reid and if Smith is the answer, you got some pretty decent trade bait in Freeman.
The problem with KC is they're paying Daniels decent b/u money and they seem to like Bray as a developmental guy already. Not saying it couldn't happen, but the roster numbers may not work out there.

The problem with KC is they're paying Daniels decent b/u money and they seem to like Bray as a developmental guy already. Not saying it couldn't happen, but the roster numbers may not work out there.
Philly would be a good fit

Andrew Brandt

In speaking with agents of several Bucs players recently, I have sensed a common theme: There is an atmosphere of fear and distrust under the current regime in Tampa. Players have told their agents about coaches roaming through the locker room (typically the players’ sanctuary away from coaches) and staff videotaping players on the sidelines during losses to single out players laughing or horsing around. The players also speak to the influx of multiple Rutgers players from Schiano’s past and the use of the phrase “Schiano Men,” a term that clearly does not apply to Freeman.

95.7 The GAME ‏@957thegame 1h

We just recieved this text from Josh Freeman: "Raider Nation is great. I've worked with Greg Olson & he is a great coordinator."

Retweeted by Albert Breer

95.7 The GAME@957thegame 1h http://ESPN.com Buccaneers reporter @PatYazESPN when asked about possible destinations for Josh Freeman: "I'd put Oakland #1."

Retweeted by Christopher Hansen
Some surprising tweets connecting Freeman to Oakland. Everything I have heard about Olson is that he didn't get along with Freeman.

Best landing spots IMO (based on teams that should be interested - leaves Jax & Cle out)

Arizona

Minnesota

Tennessee

shouldn't he get fined a draft pick for that?

Schiano isn't long for the NFL. He is putting his failures very publicly on his players. His actions wreak of childishness and he's lost his team. He will be back in college within the year. The Bucs will probably rally when whichever interim coach takes over. Doug Martin is a buy I think right now.

Buffalo should be interviewing Freeman as we speak. Tuel looked atrocious last night. At 2-3, they're not out of anything but if they roll with Tuel, they definitely aren't going anywhere.

Having Tuel in there completely kills the offense. Teams know there is zero threat to pass the ball so it will be 8 or 9 guys in the box all game. FJax and Spiller are good but its tough for any RB to have success without any semblance of a passing game

I could see Minnesota as a great landing spot for him. He would have very strong locker room leadership in Jennings and Peterson.

What did they do to him? They drafted him in the first round, paid him millions of dollars, and surrounded him with talent only to watch him lose 5 out of 6 to end last year and lose the first three games this year?

What else should the Bucs front office have done? Pat him on the butt and say "go get em next time big guy?" This is professional sports.
I could probably buy your point if I didn't know guys like Blaine grabbers were still starters in this league
I'm not sure what you mean? The Bucs did everything they could to help him succeed. They have the highest paid offensive line in football, they drafted a first round running back, they signed a stud WR, they improved the defense, and Josh still regressed. When you invest that much in the rest of your team and the quarterback is clearly holding you back something needs to be done.

The Jaguars don't have anywhere near the payroll or the talent Tampa has right now. They can run Blaine Gabbert out there and it's no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread