What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just witnessed the worst loss I've ever seen (1 Viewer)

Mahoney

Footballguy
Semi finals

The final score: 95.9 - 95.3

Loser not only had Westbrook sit on the 1 foot line, he went in tonight needing Longwell to score 9 points. We give 4 pts for 41+ yard field goals. No deductions for missed XPT or FG. He got 8 in the first half then watched Longwell miss an XP, Vikes go for a 2 pt conversion on the last TD of the game, and then Sharper pick off the last pass that would have tied the game and given the Vikings a reason to need another FG.

Somewhere in SC a grown man fell asleep, drunk, in the fetal position. Weeping.

Semi finalsThe final score: 95.9 - 95.3Loser not only had Westbrook sit on the 1 foot line, he went in tonight needing Longwell to score 9 points. We give 4 pts for 41+ yard field goals. No deductions for missed XPT or FG. He got 8 in the first half then watched Longwell miss an XP, Vikes go for a 2 pt conversion on the last TD of the game, and then Sharper pick off the last pass that would have tied the game and given the Vikings a reason to need another FG.Somewhere in SC a grown man fell asleep, drunk, in the fetal position. Weeping.
I believe it was someone in the Westbrook thread that said that in one of his games, he had Westbrook and was going against McNabb. When Westbrook fell at the 1, he still had enough points to get the win... but their scoring system grants 1 point per carry for anyone with over 7 carries, and McNabb's 3 final kneeldowns got him over the mark, giving him a 7-point bonus, costing the Westbrook owner the game.

Serious question:How could that owner, under any circumstances, ever root for Westbrook again?
The irony is after the Sharper pick the MNF crew randomly starts commenting about how the play by Westbrook may have been the smartest play they had seen in recent memory. Just more salt in his wound.To make it even worse he was torn between Evans or Engram. He went Evans, not knowing there was a blizzard in Cleveland. He missed the pre-game report because he ran out to the store to pick up some milk for his brother's kid. He called me at 1:10 to say if he had any idea about the weather he would've started Engram....who scored 10 more points than Evans.To answer your question, I'm not sure how he could ever wish good things for Westbrook again.

Semi finalsThe final score: 95.9 - 95.3Loser not only had Westbrook sit on the 1 foot line, he went in tonight needing Longwell to score 9 points. We give 4 pts for 41+ yard field goals. No deductions for missed XPT or FG. He got 8 in the first half then watched Longwell miss an XP, Vikes go for a 2 pt conversion on the last TD of the game, and then Sharper pick off the last pass that would have tied the game and given the Vikings a reason to need another FG.Somewhere in SC a grown man fell asleep, drunk, in the fetal position. Weeping.
I believe it was someone in the Westbrook thread that said that in one of his games, he had Westbrook and was going against McNabb. When Westbrook fell at the 1, he still had enough points to get the win... but their scoring system grants 1 point per carry for anyone with over 7 carries, and McNabb's 3 final kneeldowns got him over the mark, giving him a 7-point bonus, costing the Westbrook owner the game.
I would rampage on somebody.

OK, that's just funny. What a kick in the bag.

Serious question:How could that owner, under any circumstances, ever root for Westbrook again?
The irony is after the Sharper pick the MNF crew randomly starts commenting about how the play by Westbrook may have been the smartest play they had seen in recent memory. Just more salt in his wound.To make it even worse he was torn between Evans or Engram. He went Evans, not knowing there was a blizzard in Cleveland. He missed the pre-game report because he ran out to the store to pick up some milk for his brother's kid. He called me at 1:10 to say if he had any idea about the weather he would've started Engram....who scored 10 more points than Evans.To answer your question, I'm not sure how he could ever wish good things for Westbrook again.
I lost one playoff because of Westy. At the time I saw him do it, I was thinking, smart play, you nailed my coffin, but smart play. Nice story. Can't wait to see the championship threads next week.

Oh, as far as worst loss I've ever seen... I play in a league that awards .2 points for every yard rushing/receiving. It was Monday night and Washington was playing. All of my players were done, and my opponent only had Clinton Portis yet. On the final drive of the game, Washington had a slim lead and was trying to get a first down so they could run out the clock. I had a .3 point lead. Portis took the handoff on 2nd down and rushed for 2 yards. Bam, I lose by one tenth of a point. I call my opponent, curse his mother, and am about to hang up the phone when Portis takes the handoff on 3rd down and loses a yard. Bam, I win by one tenth of a point.

Some of you guys are cold. It's just a game, but we spend a lot of time playing it. If someone suffers a bad beat like that, I don't think you should rub it in the guy's face. He lost and feels bad about it. Isn't that enough?

If I won like that I certainly wouldn't rub it in.

Some of you guys are cold. It's just a game, but we spend a lot of time playing it. If someone suffers a bad beat like that, I don't think you should rub it in the guy's face. He lost and feels bad about it. Isn't that enough? If I won like that I certainly wouldn't rub it in.
Are you kidding?? Rubbing it in after plays like that is the best part!!!!! :lmao:

I was in a spot for one of my semi-final game. My starting QB Big Ben had the ailing shoulder, playing a tough Jacksonville team on a crappy field in Pittsburgh so I was humming and hawing over to bench him or to start Garcia, who was healthy and playing in more suitable ideal weather conditions. Even though I heard FOX's Jay Glazer say that Ben would be starting but not going to be 100%, I decided to bench my stud and go with my #3 QB Garcia, (Cutler was #2 but he already played). Ben outplayed Garcia so of course you can see where this is going. I lose by 4 points, but had I started Ben I would have been in the finals!! :lmao: :thumbdown: :hot:

Some of you guys are cold. It's just a game, but we spend a lot of time playing it. If someone suffers a bad beat like that, I don't think you should rub it in the guy's face. He lost and feels bad about it. Isn't that enough?

I play in leagues with guys from Boston, New Jersey, and Philly. Mocking someone for a bad beat is about as mild as it gets. But that's how these guys show affection, no one takes it personal. Well, OK, occasionally, but that's when it gets really fun.

:lmao: Different stokes, I guess. My friends and I are brutal to each other, I wouldn't want it any other way.

I guess the scoring isn't official yet, but I apparently just lost my playoff game by 0.15 pts. Westbrook is in my starting lineup and I'm an Eagles fan. What's a guy to do?

I play in leagues with guys from Boston, New Jersey, and Philly. Mocking someone for a bad beat is about as mild as it gets. But that's how these guys show affection, no one takes it personal. Well, OK, occasionally, but that's when it gets really fun.

:lmao: Different stokes, I guess. My friends and I are brutal to each other, I wouldn't want it any other way.
I'm talking about a bad beat where you lose a playoff game by some freak of nature play and rub it in immediately. I guess I'm just saying to give the loser some space before kicking him around. Sort of a "do unto others" thing when the wound is still fresh. Then again, I'm not really much for bragging when I win anyway, but I understand that's part of the game.I'm not saying I'd fall apart if I lost and was mocked immediately. But personally, I would just wait until it sinks in before I start going on the attack.

I've got it beat

Undefeated Regular Season. Points leader by 200+

Chicago def vs. Hester is all that's left. I'm up by 2 when Minn punts it to Chicago for their last possession. With the time left, Minn likely won't score again, and I'm sitting pretty.

Hester with 3 catches, 17 yards in ppr 1 point per 20 yards....11 yard reception with less than 2 minutes ties the game....

124-124

Tiebreaker #1 Total TDs scored

4-4

Tiebreaker #2 QB points

Carson Palmer 30 Peyton Manning 31

One hell of a way to lose the perfect season.

It's just a game, but honestly for the first time In my only 5 years of playing, I'm losing sleep over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
the weirdest game i was ever involved in (won), & i don't think it was playoff/championship, was when were going against travis henry... he was ahead by 1-2 pts, we had nobody left, so automatic loss for us, right?

early in the game henry threw an INT on a trick play, got pts deducted, then hurt his knee on like the next play & was done for the night. pretty sure i could play for another 100 years & not see that sequence of events transpire again.

Funniest loss I ever read about on message boards was with a guy last year who had Grossman in one of those games when he had numerous turnovers. The guy posted a message describing his reaction to watching the stats come across nfl.com. He had something like a .7 point lead and the bears had the ball and just had to kneel 3 times to basically end the game. To make it run off all of the clock, Grossman had to kill a couple seconds each play. Grossman went to kneel down but he backed up a couple yards each time to kill more clock. The final play Grossman knelt down for a 4 yard loss and cost the guy the game by 0.1 point. Many owners were already hating Grossman last year because of his negative point games. I don't think that poster will ever like Grossman again.

I'm fuzzy on the exact details but that was pretty close. I wish I could find the link. I was in tears reading it.

I remember one game I was down 5.0 points using decimal scoring. I had Jeff Wilkins playing and the Rams drove to borderline field goal range with seconds to go. Wilkins lined up for a 52 yard FG, and if he made it I would win. The Rams lined up to kick and the opposition called timeout to ice him. The Rams had one timeout left and after the other timeout ran out the offense again. They wanted to be a couple yards closer and the ball more in the middle of the field, so they ran the ball 3 yards to spot the ball in the middle of the field and used their last timeout. So my 5.2 point FG became a 4.9 point FG--which Wilkins made with plenty to spare.

Worst loss I've ever had was I think back in 2001. I was up by 8 with like 2 minutes left to go in the game, I had Shannon Sharpe, he had Rocket Ishmael. I'm set, the only possible way he could win would be a bomb for a touchdown to Rocket which I thought would be a pretty remote chance. Just then, a like 20 yard pass to Ishmael, then who comes flying across the screen and lays out the final block to get him in the endzone? Shannon Sharpe. The announcers flipping out "LOOK AT THAT BLOCK BY SHARPE TO BREAK IT OPEN FOR ISHMAEL". Lost by half a point or something rediculous with 3 other people in my league laughing their asses off.

I still get #### about that 6 years later.

the weirdest game i was ever involved in (won), & i don't think it was playoff/championship, was when were going against travis henry... he was ahead by 1-2 pts, we had nobody left, so automatic loss for us, right?early in the game henry threw an INT on a trick play, got pts deducted, then hurt his knee on like the next play & was done for the night. pretty sure i could play for another 100 years & not see that sequence of events transpire again.
I had a similar situation where I LOST in 2002. I was up by 3 points with Kurt Warner going for the Rams against the Cowboys. I could have taken him out of the lineup and been assured of a win, but I would never have thought to do that.We deducted 2 points for each turnover. On the first Rams possession Warner threw an interception (-2 points). On their next possession, Warner got sacked and fumbled (another -2) and got injured and was lost for the game. He had only completed one pass for 17 yards, so I did not have any positive scoring to offset the turnovers and lost by a point. (And I ended up losing Warner for 6 games to boot).

I lost a championship a few years ago on a brutal call. Quincy Morgan hauled in a 50+ yard touchdown late for Cleveland. The play was challenged. On the replay you could see Morgan catching the ball with his right hand, then you got screened from viewing the ball as he rolled over in the end zone but the ball was touching the ground when he started rolling on top of it. When we could see the ball again he had control of it. The rule is that the ball can touch the ground but only if you maintain full control throughout the catch. Replay officials confirmed the TD, which beat me.

Only problem was the replay officials didn't notice that the ball was in his right hand when he started the rollover and was in his left hand when he finished turning over. As you can imagine, I DID notice.

Some of you guys are cold. It's just a game, but we spend a lot of time playing it. If someone suffers a bad beat like that, I don't think you should rub it in the guy's face. He lost and feels bad about it. Isn't that enough? If I won like that I certainly wouldn't rub it in.
The league I play in is full of blow hards, who question every draft pick you make, mock you throughout the draft, and then after the draft, post league polls about how lousy your draft was.I beat a team this week with two co-owner. The first co-owner, mocked my Willie Parker pick at #4 overall, mercilessly while he waited for and pounced on Frank Gore. He was cackling, "I can't believe you let Gore slip to me!!!!"The 2nd co-owner called me out on the league message baord after the draft. I just did not like ANY of the #2 Rbs coming to me, so I waited until the 9th round to take my 2nd RB. It was Chris Brown. Later in the year, I justified my strategy by scooping up Sammy Morris (early), & both Ryan Grant and Earnest Graham (mid-season).I beat that co-owned team last night. It felt tremendous!The public humiliation will be a swift kick in the sack. I will be enjoy writing their eulogy!

I won this week by 5 points. My opponent had Mushin Muhammad, and TDs are worth 6 pts! :thumbup: They also are the Brady owner, so I'm sure they feel snakebit right now.

I won this week by 5 points. My opponent had Mushin Muhammad, and TDs are worth 6 pts! :jawdrop: They also are the Brady owner, so I'm sure they feel snakebit right now.
I lost in one league on the last run that Washington had that put them over 300 total yards and knocking 10 points off my defense score, all I needed was a stop and I would advance. In another league I am in a friend of mine is up by 3 points, he is playing the guy with Minn. D... that last interception tied their game and the other team owned the tie break.... tough loss!

I won by the skin of my teeth this week. My opponent needed 16 points going into Monday nights game and had Bernard Berrian and the Vikings defense. Well the score was 75 to 72 when Orton took a shot down field at what seemed like a wide open Berrian when suddenly Darren Sharper jumps in the path and gets my opponent's defense 2 points bringing it to a final score of 75-74. Sweet. :lmao:

Oh, as far as worst loss I've ever seen... I play in a league that awards .2 points for every yard rushing/receiving. It was Monday night and Washington was playing. All of my players were done, and my opponent only had Clinton Portis yet. On the final drive of the game, Washington had a slim lead and was trying to get a first down so they could run out the clock. I had a .3 point lead. Portis took the handoff on 2nd down and rushed for 2 yards. Bam, I lose by one tenth of a point. I call my opponent, curse his mother, and am about to hang up the phone when Portis takes the handoff on 3rd down and loses a yard. Bam, I win by one tenth of a point.
Got this one beat, although it didn't happen to me. Very similar, but yours happened to a RB. This guy was down by something like 20 pts and had Houshmandzadeh going (happened like 2-3 yrs ago). 4th qtr with minutes remaining and he catches a ball to take a 0.1 pt lead. He immediately posts on the league message board. Next thing you know, Housh RUNS A REVERSE and LOSES 2 yds. Boom, he loses by 0.1 pts. Didn't touch the ball again the rest of the game. Oops?

Got this one beat, although it didn't happen to me. Very similar, but yours happened to a RB. This guy was down by something like 20 pts and had Houshmandzadeh going (happened like 2-3 yrs ago). 4th qtr with minutes remaining and he catches a ball to take a 0.1 pt lead. He immediately posts on the league message board. Next thing you know, Housh RUNS A REVERSE and LOSES 2 yds. Boom, he loses by 0.1 pts. Didn't touch the ball again the rest of the game. Oops?
:lmao: a perfect example of why a professional trash talker waits till the game has ended to post flammatory comments...doing it before the game is over is just bringing bad fantasy mojo upon yourself

I have certainly gotten lucky breaks at times especially in the Pyramid league that many MB populate. I ended up winning the top Pyramid League last year and it was all possible due to a fluke playoff win three years before (the Pyramid league is setup with 3 tiers of leagues - 3 leagues in the bottom, 2 leagues in the middle and 1 top league and you advance up or get demoted by how your team finishes each year). It was my first year in the leagues and I was in one of the bottom leagues. Week 15 - 1st round playoff game. I have NYJ defense and he has Brady. I am barely ahead the whole game until the last 8 minutes of the 4th qtr and he moves ahead by

3.2 points. I figure if NE gets the ball back with a 10 pt lead and less than 3 minutes to go they would not pass. My season is done, no reason to pass the ball. Some of you may remember this game, because Brady comes out and throws a pick right away and Pennington leads them to a quick score. I am now only down 1.2 pts, but I am still going to lose unless Brady throws an int again and does not get 8 yds passing first. NYJ on side kick, gets the ball and scores to take the lead with less than a minute to go. And you guessed it, Brady came out on the first play and threw a game ending pick and I win by 0.2 pts and go on to win the Championship in the lower league.

Guess what happened last night - (After winning the top league you get demoted to the bottom tier of leagues and I could have gotten booted from the Pyramid without a 1st round win). I have Minn defense and all night I am barely ahead until Chicago gets their final score. I am behind by less than a point for the rest of the 4th qtr until Orton throws that Int at the end of game to give me the win by 1 pt.

I just wish I could get these kind of breaks in my two $ leagues.

A few years ago my league switched to a decimal point system because we had a lot of tiebreakers. The main proponent of the decimal point system played me in the championship that year and lost by 0.4 points. Had we never switched he would've won by 2 points.

To the OP, that's a rough loss for your teammate. When it happens to you in an important game especially over freak incidents like Westbrook and the Longwell issues, it almost makes you hate playing FF, until you pick yourself up and get over the loss.

That is just brutal. Whatever fantasy sins he's committed, he's paid for in spades. If he comes back next year, he's a lock for the title.

The last pick by CHI D put me over the top team, 89.7 - 89.1. This top team also had Westbrook in their lineup, THANKS BW, TJ & the FF gods, one more to go ...

fuzzy on the details because i have repressed the memory but...

lost a fantasy superbowl about 12 or 13 years ago, when my opponent and i had only opposing kickers left going against each other on monday night

as it came to pass both the real life teams and the fantasy teams ended up tied at end of regulation and game went into overtime

i had the tiebreaker if the game ended tied but ...

my kicker was running onto the field to attempt a very short FG late in overtime to end the game ... the field goal was blocked and returned ALMOST all the way for a TD but was tackled ...

his guy came on and hit the FG

priceless, because the whole 4th quarter and regulation, he and I were watching the game together with several other league members in our college apartment

Love reading this stuff. I'll add one, from a week 15 playoff game a few years ago I had no business winning. (I dug this up, having actually written it all down at the time because in 10 years of playing FF, it was so unbelievable).

I won a semi-final playoff game by 3 points, where any of the following would have turned it into a loss:

Saturday and Sunday day games -- opponent had:

Tiki Barber - had one TD, but on one drive lost 3 yards on a third down run from the Steeler 1, and on 2 other drives Manning passed for 1 and 2 yd TDs. Could easily have been a multiple TD day for Barber.

Torry Holt - after a long catch-and-run, Holt lost a fumble at the Arizona 1 yd line (-1 for the lost fumble, and obviously no TD).

Doug Brien - missed an extra point and a 30 yd FG, both wide left, for Jets vs Seattle.

Duante Culpepper - C-pep had a monster day (over 400 pass yds and 3 TDs), but with 8 seconds left in the game, Detroit scores a TD, then botch the "tying" PAT which would have sent the game into OT, with potential for more C-pep points.

Me: on Sunday afternoon, I got a freak TD from my Green Bay D/ST. Jaguars at Packers -- Leftwich fumbled on a sack, a Jax lineman recovered the ball but tried to run with it and he fumbled, with Darren Sharper running it in for a GB TD. Play was challenged but upheld.

Then, in the Sunday night game I had Todd Heap, who scored a fourth quarter TD one play after Baltimore kicked a FG, but took the first down and points off the board when Indy was offsides.

At the end of Sunday night, I'm up 7, but it's still not over, as my opponent has Chris Chambers going vs NE on MNF. Well, despite getting 9 targets (including a 2pt conversion pass attempt), Chambers only caught 3 passes for 24 yards (ppr league), lost a fumble on a reverse, and had another catch wiped out by an offensive holding penalty (plus was targeted in the end zone once, but was interfered with). Sitting here 4 years later, still hard to believe I won that game by a couple of points...

Nothing can top this:

A guy I knew back in the mid 90's had a Cleveland Brown WR (cannot remember who) going into the Monday night game. He had a one point lead. His opponent had no one left. So, game over, right? Wrong. His WR caught no balls, but on a reverse, threw an INT, which gave him -2 points.

We had a pretty bad one in the Super Bowl several years ago. One team was clinging to like a 2 point lead with no one left, and his opponent had Gramatica on MNF.

Early in the first half, Gramatica kicks a fg, so it's game over, right? Wrong. There was a penalty on the play, and the Bucs took the points off the board. Gramatica wouldn't kick another fg the entire game, and the other team held on for a 1 point win.

to go along with the "worst loss" one of the all time worst scoring rules.Fractional scoring...points per carry... I'm sorry, I have no sympathy.

I was on the winning side of one and a spectator of another one.

Back in 1991, we won the Super Bowl when Tim Brown scored a disputed TD in the last Sunday game of the week. I did some Googling to try and figure out the exact game but I believe it was Dec 22 1991 Chiefs over Raiders 27-21 - Brown scored on a 23yd TD with 3:56 to go. Since you're asking me, he was clearly in bounds. The other owner has other opinions on that of course, but remember this was before replay.

In 2004, we had an owner who needed to win his last game to make the playoffs. He's up by 30 points going into MNF with only one guy for the other team. Unfortunately for him, that guy was Drew Bennett in the middle of the Drew Bennett / Billy Volek era. 233 yards and 3 TDs later, he loses 124.10-123.75 (avg scores for this league are in the 80s and 90s so he lost despite scoring well above average). He ended up with the most points of anyone in the league but didn't make the playoffs.

Good times....

We have a really weird scoring system, basically 1 point per yard, plus other stuff.

Last night one guy is leading by about 20 going into the final minutes. INTs are 25. Trailing team has Minny D. Orton throws INT to Sharper. Team with Minny D wins 688.6-683.9.

Users who are viewing this thread