What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kailee Wong (1 Viewer)

T

trader jake

can anyone shed some light on the houston lb situation and/or kailee wong in particular?tia :rant:

At the moment, Wong is one the starting inside LBs for the texans. His big challenger would Zeke Moreno, who really is really fighting for a spot on the roster not a starting job. The inside LBs for the Texans have been tackle getters because the system funnels everything to them. Wong should be a nice fantasy producer that can be had at a good price.

There still remains a possibilty that Wong stays on the outside, if Moreno can beat him for the inside job, with Peek losing the starting slot on the outside. The Houston LB situation is far from clear, at this point. Houston is not out of the Boulware sweepstakes yet either. Wong should be in pecil here, not pen.

Kailee Wong will likely move from the ROLB spot where he started all 16 games last year for the Texans to fill the vacancy left by Jay Foreman. Wong has played MLB before when he was with the Vikings and put up his best stats there in 2000 with 112 tackles. In his one 2004 start inside for the Texans against the Colts, he had 5 tackles. So the move to the inside should be a relatively smooth one. Wong put up good enough stats in 2004 to warrant fantasy starter status as a 3rd LB. With his move to the inside he should build on these numbers and be bumped up to a borderline LB1/LB2 (depending once again on league size) as long as he can hold off Moreno and Evans. In the unlikely event Moreno or Evans do somehow manage to win the RILB job, they still warrant some fantasy consideration.

Wong is one of my few "Undraftables".I've gotten burned by this guy two out of the past three years. I know his stock is rising because of the potential move inside but I don't think I can bring myself to draft him. He's just let me down too many times.My other "undraftables" are Courtney Brown and Peerless Price

Texans | Wong Named Defensive Captain - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:55:42 -0700

Nick Schenck, HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans LB Kailee Wong has been named the team's defensive captain. "I think he is one of our best leaders," head coach Dom Capers said. "He's a smart guy. You know you can count on him. He's an intelligent guy that can handle all the things out there, and he's a guy that will be on the field all three downs."

:wall: Nice call Norton, wherever you are?

As the post above indicated, Capers has always liked him and his ability to be around the ball, and I dont think there is anyway he is not starting on the inside come opening day. Wong has a chance at 120+ tackles at the position.If you are drafting anytime soon, I would take the chance on him as he will produce for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Blogger today link http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3667466

SCOUTING REPORT: The Texans signed Kailee Wong as a free agent prior to the 2002 season and hoped he would be a big-time pass rusher in their 3-4 scheme. Wong was solid as an outside linebacker, but not dominant with just 14 sacks in three years. Wong is entering the final year of his contract, and the Texans are moving him to Jay Foreman's vacated inside linebacker position. Wong played middle linebacker in Minnesota's 4-3 scheme for four years before signing with the Texans. Wong's skills might be better suited for the inside. He's a physical, sure-handed tackler who is smart enough to make all the calls for the defense. Because Wong has pass-rush ability, expect the coaches to take advantage of that by blitzing from the inside linebacker positions more than they did the past three seasons with Foreman and Jamie Sharper.

IMPACT NEWCOMER: Morlon Greenwood will replace Sharper at the inside linebacker position opposite Wong. By signing Greenwood away from the Miami Dolphins, the Texans are younger, faster and more cap-friendly at the position. Whether Greenwood will match Sharper's playmaking ability remains to be seen. Greenwood was a solid starter on a perennially strong defense in Miami but never was considered an impact player. The Texans hope he'll have more opportunities to make plays in their system and are impressed with how quickly he has picked up the 3-4, a scheme he hasn't played since he was at Syracuse

Don't know if this will help or not but it looks like he's going inside.

Wong is one of my few "Undraftables". I've gotten burned by this guy two out of the past three years.  I know his stock is rising because of the potential move inside but I don't think I can bring myself to draft him.  He's just let me down too many times.
You should have had him on your "undraftable" list in two of the past three seasons when he was an OLB on a 3-4 defense. The move inside should positively impact his tackle numbers. I have secured Kailee Wong in two different IDP auction leagues at an incredible value. I think he has a decent shot at being a top 25 LB by 2005 seasons end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wong is one of my few "Undraftables". I've gotten burned by this guy two out of the past three years. I know his stock is rising because of the potential move inside but I don't think I can bring myself to draft him. He's just let me down too many times.
You should have had him on your "undraftable" list in two of the past three seasons when he was an OLB on a 3-4 defense. The move inside should positively impact his tackle numbers. I have secured Kailee Wong in two different IDP auction leagues at an incredible value. I think he has a decent shot at being a top 25 LB by 2005 seasons end.
exactly...in my main league i just signed him for the minimum bid. with his move inside and no real challenge to his position there he should be golden for well over 100 tackles and a handful of sacks. he can prolly be had on the cheap and after my initial post i have yet to read anything that leads me to question his opportinuties this seasonthanx for the updates guys...lol

Texans | Capers Likes What He Sees From ILB Position

Tue, 2 Aug 2005 17:04:18 -0700

The Houston Chronicle reports Houston Texans head coach Dom Capers likes what he sees from the inside linebacker positions in the 3-4 defense. Houston has two new starters for 2005 - LBs Morlon Greenwood and Kailee Wong - manning the starting inside spots. "I really like what I see of those two guys," said Capers. "First of all, they're real pros. They know how to prepare. Both are extremely hard workers. They do a great job in the classroom, and they're smart. And they're tough guys, too." Capers added that Greenwood is one of the team's quickest linebackers, while Wong's experience as an inside linebacker with the Minnesota Vikings allows him to be the "quarterback" of the defense. "I feel very comfortable with him making the calls," Capers said of Wong.

Both Houston ILB spots are tackle friendly. I expect both Wong and Greenwood to finish with 100+ solo tackles and a few extra stats (sacks, int, ff, fr) that will place them well with the top 24 LB's in the NFL. Definite starter material here in fantasy leagues.

Wong is one of my few "Undraftables". I've gotten burned by this guy two out of the past three years.  I know his stock is rising because of the potential move inside but I don't think I can bring myself to draft him.  He's just let me down too many times.
exactly...in my main league i just signed him for the minimum bid. with his move inside and no real challenge to his position there he should be golden for well over 100 tackles and a handful of sacks. he can prolly be had on the cheap and after my initial post i have yet to read anything that leads me to question his opportinuties this seasonthanx for the updates guys...lol
Absolutely. Look where I got him in a 16 teamer:1 Vilma 6025

2 Bulluck 6000

3 Lewis 4500

4 Urlacher 3600

5 Barnett 3025

6 Edwards 3000

7 Thomas 2925

8 Fletcher 2850

9 Hartwell 2850

10 DJ Williams 2750

11 Greenwood 2700

12 Pierce 2650

13 Briggs 2600

14 Brooking 2600

15 Brooks 2400

16 Peterson 2350

17 Witherspoon 2250

18 Clark 2025

19 Spikes 1825

20 Morgan 1800

21 Cowart 1775

22 Sharper 1625

23 Farrior 1625

24 A. Davis 1550

25 Lehman 1525

26 Trotter 1425

27 Barton 1325

28 Nguyen 1325

29 June 1300

30 D. Smith 1250

31 Arrington 1200

32 Wong 1075

It is interesting that Jason Babin's name has not appeared even once in this thread.

With a good rookie season under his belt, expect the formerly converted DE to be a force as a pass rushing OLB for Houston this season.

Double-digit sacks should be considered a given.

It is interesting that Jason Babin's name has not appeared even once in this thread.

With a good rookie season under his belt, expect the formerly converted DE to be a force as a pass rushing OLB for Houston this season.

3-4 OLB = marginal fantasy prospects.

Not in Dom Capers' system. That's the exact reason he drafted Babin before last season. He's been searching for the pass rushing OLB his system requires since he went to Houston. It's similar to what Parcells will try to do in Dallas... remember his scheme and the performance of LT?Okay, Jason Babin doesn't belong in the same post as LT... I'll concede that :D

I'll come down a notch... think in terms of Kevin Greene who flourished in Capers' 3-4 scheme while in Pittsburgh and in Carolina.

Not in Dom Capers' system. That's the exact reason he drafted Babin before last season. He's been searching for the pass rushing OLB his system requires since he went to Houston. It's similar to what Parcells will try to do in Dallas... remember his scheme and the performance of LT?Okay, Jason Babin doesn't belong in the same post as LT... I'll concede that :D

I'll come down a notch... think in terms of Kevin Greene who flourished in Capers' 3-4 scheme while in Pittsburgh and in Carolina.
greene's stats from those years:T A S

48 19 13

56 13 14

35 12 9

38 13 14.5

unless your league heavily weighs sacks, thats bye week/injury fill-in material at LB.

greene's stats from those years:T A S

48 19 13

56 13 14

35 12 9

38 13 14.5

unless your league heavily weighs sacks, thats bye week/injury fill-in material at LB.
My scoring system values a Sack at 12 pts and a Tackle at 3 pts, so that may be part of the issue, but you need to keep things in historical perspective. Two of the years you listed, Kevin Greene led the NFL in Sacks . Any time you're starting the NFL Sack leader in a given season, you can't complain too much.

My scoring system values a Sack at 12 pts and a Tackle at 3 pts.
that qualifies as heavily valuing sacks - anything more than 3X a tackle means bump up the sack artists.

Texans | Wong Receives ExtensionTue, 9 Aug 2005 17:33:39 -0700ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Houston Texans have reached an extension with LB Kailee Wong. The four-year deal, good through 2009, is worth $17.65 million, including $7 million in 2005.

In my local league we keep 22 of 32 players, then have an 8 round rookie/free agent draft. The Wong owner cut him, obviously not realizing his move to ILB. I'm taking him at pick 36 if he's still there. solo tkl=1 pt, sack=6, int=8+1 per 10 yards returned, td=6+1 per 10 yards. Hartwell, Watson, and Chad Brown are available too.

He was available in my IDP dynasty league (11 IDPs) and I got him in the 4th round of our rookie/free agent draft :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread