What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kawika Mitchell to Bills (1 Viewer)

Buffalo News link

Nowhere else for Mitchell to play except SLB. Angelo Crowell's value just got a sizable bump.
Have 'em both, so this is one of those good news/bad news signings for me. Mitchell sure went quick this year.Yep ... Crowell looks better.
Big difference from last offseason, when Mitchell wasn't picked up until late March. Kind of re-invented himself in Spagnuolo's scheme this year -- better in coverage, more physical overall, a little pass rush. Not a bad signing at all in 2006 proves to be Mitchell's off season. I thought he'd be a great fit in New England.

Buffalo News link

Nowhere else for Mitchell to play except SLB. Angelo Crowell's value just got a sizable bump.
Mitchell played WLB for NYG.Why would he necessarily play SLB when Crowell didn't move from that spot last year to supplant Ellison at WLB?
You're right, I probably shouldn't be so hasty. The Bills run less Tampa-2 than a team like the Colts, but enough that they need the player with the most range on the weak side. Of the two, that's definitely Crowell. Ellison would've been a terrible fit on the strong side -- he was a Demorrio Williams like rangy, speedy type, but not as good in coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buffalo News link

Mitchell played WLB for NYG.Why would he necessarily play SLB when Crowell didn't move from that spot last year to supplant Ellison at WLB?
You're right, I probably shouldn't be so hasty. The Bills run less Tampa-2 than a team like the Colts, but enough that they need the player with the most range on the weak side. Of the two, that's definitely Crowell. Ellison would've been a terrible fit on the strong side -- he was a Demorrio Williams like rangy, speedy type, but not as good in coverage.
I think it would be a huge upset if Crowell didn't play weak-side.

Buffalo News link

I agree, but I suppose it's worth leaving the door open on a return to the LOLB-ROLB alignment before vaulting Crowell toward the top twenty. I'm a little leery after pushing Crowell so hard before the Bills grabbed Posluszny in the draft last year.

Buffalo News link

I agree, but I suppose it's worth leaving the door open on a return to the LOLB-ROLB alignment before vaulting Crowell toward the top twenty. I'm a little leery after pushing Crowell so hard before the Bills grabbed Posluszny in the draft last year.
True ... Good point Jene.

Will we see Gerris Wilkinson starting for NYG now?
Kiwanuka
What kind of production do you foresee from Kiwanuka if he recovers and returns 100% from the broken fibula? LB 1,2,3?I really think he is more suited for the OLB spot, but seemed to be a liabilty in pass coverage last year. I think he performs better with his hand down personally, but maybe his 2nd year at the LB position will suit him better.

This looks like great news for Gerris Wilkinson. He apppears to be the defacto WLB ....for right now.

why are you so down on Angelo, he had a solid year playing SLB this year didn't he? why would that change, Jene can you tell us more?

why are you so down on Angelo, he had a solid year playing SLB this year didn't he? why would that change, Jene can you tell us more?
It shouldn't affect him much. He'll still play every down. I think the return of Poz may affect him more than the Mitchell signing. Just disappointing -- for IDP purposes -- that they'd choose to put the slower, 255 pounder on the weak side and leave the quicker, 235 pounder on the strong side. As SLBs go, however, Crowell still belongs in the LB3 discussion.

It shouldn't affect him much. He'll still play every down. I think the return of Poz may affect him more than the Mitchell signing. Just disappointing -- for IDP purposes -- that they'd choose to put the slower, 255 pounder on the weak side and leave the quicker, 235 pounder on the strong side. As SLBs go, however, Crowell still belongs in the LB3 discussion.
It's bizarre :confused:

I think the Bills will just play ROLB/LOLB rather than shift the players around to WLB/SLB. This just gives them more flexibility than they had with Ellison, and should be a big upgrade for the run defense. Having Stroud up front should be a nice boost for Poz as well.

If Mitchell does play WLB, he'll probably be one of the rare 2-down WLBs in the league.

PFW

A team insider told us that if the season opened tomorrow, the Bills’ starting LB corps would be free-agent addition Kawika Mitchell on the weak side, Paul Posluszny in the middle and Angelo Crowell on the strong side. However, 2007 starters Keith Ellison and John DiGiorgio have both gained the confidence of the coaches and will see significant minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread