What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (1 Viewer)

Im in the Otis TM bulking phase, getting ready for January 1st. Apparently, my mutant superpower is losing/gaining weight faster than mere mortals. Good to hear you’ve kept it up. 
I'm with you.  Been hovering around 240 for a while now, after being as low as 216 at my recent low (last year some time?).  That said, I'm lifting 3-4 days a week and it shows.  I've put on a bunch of muscle in my chest, arms, shoulders, and legs.  So it's not really a one-to-one comparison.  I think if I could keep the muscle I have now and get down towards 220 at this point, I'll look super hero-ish.

So, that's my new goal.  Last night was the first night in ages I didn't drink booze.  Slept harder than I have in a long time.  Had a bunch of sushi for dinner and decided I'm going Keto-ish for a while.  We'll see how long that can last.  I figure a ton of protein is the best way for me to lose fat while not losing any of the muscle I've worked so hard to build in the last 7-8 months.

I'm with you.  Been hovering around 240 for a while now, after being as low as 216 at my recent low (last year some time?).  That said, I'm lifting 3-4 days a week and it shows.  I've put on a bunch of muscle in my chest, arms, shoulders, and legs.  So it's not really a one-to-one comparison.  I think if I could keep the muscle I have now and get down towards 220 at this point, I'll look super hero-ish.

So, that's my new goal.  Last night was the first night in ages I didn't drink booze.  Slept harder than I have in a long time.  Had a bunch of sushi for dinner and decided I'm going Keto-ish for a while.  We'll see how long that can last.  I figure a ton of protein is the best way for me to lose fat while not losing any of the muscle I've worked so hard to build in the last 7-8 months.
I've been doing the 5 day plan and am killing it. The periodized weekly volume is a game changer. 

My 4 months doing keto/lifting

Started sometime around 7-10 days after this post around 250ish and currently around 211ish give or take. Obviously very happy with the progress so far, but in the past month ive gone from 217 to 211. Ive hit a couple patches where I would be fairly stagnant for several weeks then over the course of a week or two lose like five pounds, then stagnant again then lose another five in the same time frame. Just seeing if this is relatively normal for most? Truth is I have been doing very lazy keto for a month or two now, just essentially having a feel for how much I can eat of things, watching mostly to keep carbs low/under 20 and thats about it. I wonder if I got back to tracking every bite if the weight would start to drop somewhat quicker again or if its just a matter of as you reach your goal it simply happens slower.

Besides that I am going to begin weight training within the week (have done this really with zero exercise) and will probably throw in walking more frequently than the here and there that I do it now and thatll probably help too.
When do you eat?  I know people here have mentioned intermittent fasting, but it is not just a fad. 

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-guide

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/

My buddy is a full on convert, and this sonofab**** has a 6 pack at 43 years old.  

Well, first week of keto was great until the weekend came and I got drunk and the restrictions came off and I ate every donut without a mile of my house.  

Stepped on the scale at almost 245.  Literally heaviest I’ve ever been.  Now, that’s a little misleading, because I’m also carrying more muscle than ever before.  But I desperately need to drop 20lbs.  

Back on the keto bandwagon the past few days.  Eating all the eggs and all the bacon and all the cheese and all the avocados.  Drank last night, but went red wine so as not to disturb.

HITTING IT HARD BOYS.  LET’S DO THIS. 

Back on today myself.  Lost 25, gained back 15.   I'm not going to let myself slide any further.  Keto throught the next few weeks could mean instead of gaining 5 more, I lose 5.  10 lbs swing is huge moving into the new year.  

Lost 30 over the summer, then between family issues/stress I've put 15 back on.  Back on this train to get things evened out again.  Hoping to drop at east 5-10 before New Years, assuming I'll fall off the train for Xmas and our End of the Year OSU Bowl party/game watch.  

I've been maintaining my weight right around 182.  I'm going to try to push to 175 after Thanksgiving.  Bought a new swim suit yesterday with a 34" waist - the 38" are in the spring give-away box.  
I went to Nassau last week at 183.  Came back at 182.8.  I think with the amount of carbs I've added back in I could drop 5-7 lbs pretty quickly with some strict Keto.  Maintaining in this area has been easier than I expected.

Otis said:
What means 5 day plan GB culdeus @culdeus
There is a 4 day a week PH plan and a 5 day a week. I do the 5 day a week plan because I have time to do more shorter workouts rather than fewer long workouts.

PHUL = 4 day

PHAT = 5 day. 

I mean you can change back and forth between them somewhat interchangeably 

Bump for resolutions. I am going to be under 170 at some point before Memorial Day for at least an hour.  I dont care how much bacon it takes. 
Not sure if I'll do keto again but I'm finally making thing s stick!#@#@!@#

:saideveryineever:

weighed in at 219 this morning.  Back on the train and hope to be closer to 185 by Memorial Day.

Keto Shopping List:

• Coffee
  • Cream
  • Eggs
  • Bacon
  • Ground Beef
  • String Cheese
  • Shredded Cheese
  • Salami
  • Almonds
  • Pumpkin Seeds
  • Bagged Salad
  • Frozen bags broccoli and cauliflower
  • Salsa
  • Wing Sauce
  • Dark Chocolate (85% dark cacao)
Depending on your shredded cheese intake, there are more carbs there than in block cheese.  They use some kind of potato flour to keep the cheese from clumping together.  I used to make "pizza tops" where i would put shredded cheese, pepperoni, sausage, etc on top of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and have the top of a pizza.  I did a lot of these before I realized it wasn't as low carb as I thought.  If your intake is similar, and you want to be strict, you might want to shred your own cheese.

So, lets say someone starts this. What is an average time most people usually start seeing results. 

So, lets say someone starts this. What is an average time most people usually start seeing results. 
You will flush all your glycogen within 3-4 days resulting in a 5-8 pound loss straight away.  Though you could do the same just not eating sugar.  Most people think they are gods gift to keto at that point, then the keto flu usually sets in and you feel like #### and consider quitting. 

If you stick with past the glycogen period, you should be down another 2 pounds a week for about 30 days and then it tends to flatten out to 1-2 pounds a week on out depending on factors like how overfat you were in the first place .

Based on all the recent posts here, expect to lose weight quickly, drop a significant amount over a couple/few months, slowly go off the diet, put all the weight back in and then start losing it quickly when you start up again.

I think keto might be the best for quick weight loss but people seem to yo-yo on it more than most diets because who wants to give up pizza and potatoes for life?

Based on all the recent posts here, expect to lose weight quickly, drop a significant amount over a couple/few months, slowly go off the diet, put all the weight back in and then start losing it quickly when you start up again.

I think keto might be the best for quick weight loss but people seem to yo-yo on it more than most diets because who wants to give up pizza and potatoes for life?
X

Those are excuses for the person yo-yoing, not keto failing. Keto is the easiest diet to stay in imo. Sugar is awful for you, refined carbs are bad. Once you eliminate those, you're basically on a keto /paleo diet even if you don't want to call it that. 

I haven't given up pizza, but I've given up eating it often and a lot at once. Also, once fat adapted you can have a weekend off, go back into ketosis and drop the gained weight quickly.  

X

Those are excuses for the person yo-yoing, not keto failing. Keto is the easiest diet to stay in imo. Sugar is awful for you, refined carbs are bad. Once you eliminate those, you're basically on a keto /paleo diet even if you don't want to call it that. 

I haven't given up pizza, but I've given up eating it often and a lot at once. Also, once fat adapted you can have a weekend off, go back into ketosis and drop the gained weight quickly.  
Read just this page and last page and count the number of times the words "back on" appear. This thread is a 16 page testament to people not "staying on" the keto diet.

Read just this page and last page and count the number of times the words "back on" appear. This thread is a 16 page testament to people not "staying on" the keto diet.
Since I'm one of those "back on" I'll answer this.  Net Keto, I'm down over 20 lbs.  Yes, in December, I went totally off the rails and added about 5 lbs.  I'm going back on strict Keto as many people re-focus  their efforts at the beginning of the year, but this is not a fault of keto, but of personal self control.  After bottoming out at 170, I was able to not follow strict keto, keep most of the good habits I learned, but regularly cheat, and leveled off at 5 lbs above my bottom and stayed there for months.  I wouldn't call that a yo-yo and I certainly didn't "gain all the weight that I lost."

Since I'm one of those "back on" I'll answer this.  Net Keto, I'm down over 20 lbs.  Yes, in December, I went totally off the rails and added about 5 lbs.  I'm going back on strict Keto as many people re-focus  their efforts at the beginning of the year, but this is not a fault of keto, but of personal self control.  After bottoming out at 170, I was able to not follow strict keto, keep most of the good habits I learned, but regularly cheat, and leveled off at 5 lbs above my bottom and stayed there for months.  I wouldn't call that a yo-yo and I certainly didn't "gain all the weight that I lost."
I'm not going to argue with you guys any more because I'm in the "the best diet is the one you can stay on" camp but like I say, this thread is evidence of all kinds of yo-yo-ing that is typical of keto dieters. The majority of people aren't willing/able to commit to this as a permanent lifestyle.

I'm not going to argue with you guys any more because I'm in the "the best diet is the one you can stay on" camp but like I say, this thread is evidence of all kinds of yo-yo-ing that is typical of keto dieters. The majority of people aren't willing/able to commit to this as a permanent lifestyle.
To be fair, most people don't stay with diets of any kind. If you need to diet, you typically need to because you make poor decisions in what you eat. I don't think anyone who is honest with themselves will say that they are not to blame because of self control issues. If we ate right to begin with, we wouldn't need to diet. 

That is my biggest hurdle. I have never in my life eaten well. And it is coming back to kick me in the ###. 

To be fair, most people don't stay with diets of any kind. If you need to diet, you typically need to because you make poor decisions in what you eat. I don't think anyone who is honest with themselves will say that they are not to blame because of self control issues. If we ate right to begin with, we wouldn't need to diet. 

That is my biggest hurdle. I have never in my life eaten well. And it is coming back to kick me in the ###. 
Sure, and that's why no "diet" is going to work for most people, it has to be a permanent change. So, that in mind, before beginning a keto diet I think people need to understand that it means permanently giving up beer, pizza, potatoes, bread, etc, etc, etc, and honestly, thoughtfully decide if that is a realistic thing for the rest of their lives or if maybe a less restrictive lifestyle change is more likely to be adhered to over the long haul. 

Sure, and that's why no "diet" is going to work for most people, it has to be a permanent change. So, that in mind, before beginning a keto diet I think people need to understand that it means permanently giving up beer, pizza, potatoes, bread, etc, etc, etc, and honestly, thoughtfully decide if that is a realistic thing for the rest of their lives or if maybe a less restrictive lifestyle change is more likely to be adhered to over the long haul. 
It's obviously a complex subject or we wouldn't have so many fat people or so many doctors that aren't in agreement or so many weight loss books.  My take is this - ultimately, for people that have a real problem with their eating, they have to have some level of will power.  Without that it doesn't matter what diet you are on.  I know some people will argue with me but it seems undeniable to me.  Now maybe certain diets allow certain people to have more willpower and maybe other diets are bad for that - I really don't know and I'm not sure anyone does. 

I will disagree with one point (to a degree) - you don't have to permanently give up anything.  What you have to do is get your carbs below a threshold for a period of time to allow yourself to get in ketosis and then start losing.  After you get to your goal you can introduce more carbs - either by a gradual daily increase or cheat days or whatever.  You just have to stay disciplined - but again, I firmly believe everyone has to do this that struggles with weight or eating issues.

Even though I told myself I was going to stay fat, I decided to give this a try. Started on Tuesday and have lost around 5 pounds. On a small guy like me, makes my pants actually fit now. 

But I was eating cashews and pistachio nuts. And I just read that those are the worst kind of nuts.  :wall:

And the keto flu. When does that come and how long does it last. 

Even though I told myself I was going to stay fat, I decided to give this a try. Started on Tuesday and have lost around 5 pounds. On a small guy like me, makes my pants actually fit now. 

But I was eating cashews and pistachio nuts. And I just read that those are the worst kind of nuts.  :wall:

Roughly at the point where the weight loss smooths out. Your body runs out of glycogen and doesn't really like it. 

Here’s what you are missing - you don’t need to completely and permanently stay in ketosis. I’d argue it isn’t particularly healthy long term anyway. 

BUT - if you stick to 30 days or so of carb restriction you will feel so different and will have already learned how carbs make you feel/effect your body that even if you aren’t as strict, chances are you will have made some pretty permanent food choice changes. 

I went from 225-175 over about 2 years. But it looked like this...

225-205

205-215

215-190

190-195

195-175

Now, I fluctuate between 172 and 180. I eat ‘what I want’ but what I want has totally changed since I started the paleo/Keto 30 day challenges. 

I drink no sugary drinks (not even mixed drinks). I don’t do beer anymore (gas/bloat) but have switched to whiskey. I rarely eat pasta (because it makes me feel like ####). No sugar in my coffee. Etc etc. 

So the point is this - cutting processed carbs and refined sugars entirely will give you some quick results BUT it will also teach you new habits that, even if you’re not perfect forever, will have a positive impact on your life. 

I never got the carb flu, so if it isn't coming, you might be one of the lucky ones.

Ok boys, need help. The Internet has so much stuff, it's overwhelming and I can't find answers. Looking for possible answers from people who have done it

Been on this since last Tuesday so one week exactly. I have been under 30 grams of carbs every day and since reading about my over eating of cashews, under 20 grams. 

A few days ago, I weighed in at 200.4. Yesterday i waa around 201. I have not counted my calories, but I know from general dieting experience that I have been at about 1500-1800. 

Decided I was going to start adding cardio today. Did 45 mins of moderate cardio. Jumped on the scale when I got home and it said 203. 

I seem to be going in the wrong direction. What say you. 

Ok boys, need help. The Internet has so much stuff, it's overwhelming and I can't find answers. Looking for possible answers from people who have done it

Been on this since last Tuesday so one week exactly. I have been under 30 grams of carbs every day and since reading about my over eating of cashews, under 20 grams. 

A few days ago, I weighed in at 200.4. Yesterday i waa around 201. I have not counted my calories, but I know from general dieting experience that I have been at about 1500-1800. 

Decided I was going to start adding cardio today. Did 45 mins of moderate cardio. Jumped on the scale when I got home and it said 203. 

I seem to be going in the wrong direction. What say you. 
Keto is very sensitive to water weight imo. You can fluctuate quite a bit depending on water intake. This diet puts more sodium in your system and that holds your water, from what i've seen. Just a guess, but don't worry too much about the 0.6 gain. If you gain more by the next week, then you'll have to take a look at what you're doing. 

:2cents:

Keto is very sensitive to water weight imo. You can fluctuate quite a bit depending on water intake. This diet puts more sodium in your system and that holds your water, from what i've seen. Just a guess, but don't worry too much about the 0.6 gain. If you gain more by the next week, then you'll have to take a look at what you're doing. 

:2cents:
Thx gator. Makes sense. 

Eta: guess I thought I would be down 20 already. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Acer,

Ditto to what others have said, but if you don't see a loss shortly, I'd suggest sharing your food log here to see if we can see some issue.  What are you drinking throughout the day?

Acer,

Ditto to what others have said, but if you don't see a loss shortly, I'd suggest sharing your food log here to see if we can see some issue.  What are you drinking throughout the day?
I drink a lot of water. More since I started the diet since every source says that it is important. I probably drink 3-4 bottles at work throughout the day (little ones, not the gallons)

I also drink seltzer at home but that is just water as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread