What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones (1 Viewer)

beto

Footballguy
Link

From the article:

Two days after the Super Bowl, Jones knew it was time to go to work. He went to a workout camp in Scottsdale, Ariz. He dropped 10 pounds -- from 239 to 229 -- and intends to start the season at 225. That's about five pounds lighter than his playing weight last year.

I think this is a good move for him. To me he is more of a speed back but last season he looked like more like a power back.

He did get a little too big in his first couple years in the league. Maybe if Mooch would have given him a few more carries he could have kept that weight off :D . But seriously, I think 225 is an ideal weight for him. He can be an explosive back, but not at 240. Lightning the load should serve him well.

Damn....240 pounds. No wonder it looked like he was running in sand out there.
the way i read it, he was at 230 last year.not sure when he put on the extra weight, as they said he started working out soon after the superbowl. :confused:

Does anyone think he could be the comeback player of the year this year? Will Martz use him like he did faulk in his glory days? I really think he has the talent to succeed in this type of role but the offensive line is still :thumbdown: . Man I hope the Lions have Winston Justice slip to them in the draft.

Playing at 225 will make him much more effective since he's a speed back, not a pounder. However, the biggest improvement he needs to make is in his pass catching so he doesn't have to come out of the game on 3rd downs. It was something he didn't do much of in college and his catching in the NFL has been below average. If he can improve enough to not be a liability on 3rd downs then I can see him having a breakthrough season.

Playing at 225 will make him much more effective since he's a speed back, not a pounder. However, the biggest improvement he needs to make is in his pass catching so he doesn't have to come out of the game on 3rd downs. It was something he didn't do much of in college and his catching in the NFL has been below average. If he can improve enough to not be a liability on 3rd downs then I can see him having a breakthrough season.
I own Jones, and hope he succeeds. But IS he a speed back? I saw him documented as having a 4.6. Now a guy who weighs 240 and runs a 4.6 is more of a pounder and less of a speed guy in my book, if you're strictly going by the numbers.Wadup widat?

Playing at 225 will make him much more effective since he's a speed back, not a pounder.  However, the biggest improvement he needs to make is in his pass catching so he doesn't have to come out of the game on 3rd downs.  It was something he didn't do much of in college and his catching in the NFL has been below average.  If he can improve enough to not be a liability on 3rd downs then I can see him having a breakthrough season.
I own Jones, and hope he succeeds. But IS he a speed back? I saw him documented as having a 4.6. Now a guy who weighs 240 and runs a 4.6 is more of a pounder and less of a speed guy in my book, if you're strictly going by the numbers.Wadup widat?
At 240, he's not a speed guy. But he was one of the best track athletes in the nation in HS - he can run.ETA - it appears he still owns the Pennsylvania record in a state meet for 60 meters with 6.82. He put that up on 3/3/01. http://www.dyestat.com/3state/r1ne/5in/pa2...CAstateMEET.htm

I know his 100m times were pretty awesome too.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are his hands? Martz threw a lot of passes Faulk's & Jackson's way in the past ... Should we expect the same for Jones?

RBs adding/dropping weight is a big red flag for me. Usually it is a sign that their previous poor performance will continue. It is a totally unscientific approach but avoiding these players in redraft has proven to be a good thing.

I like Kevin Jones but Detroit is still a mess and him adding/dropping weight isn't going to change a thing.

I'm just going by his style of play after watching him his entire career at VT. I was surprised as anyone by the 4.6 he ran, but I don't think that's accurate to how he plays. The problem is that when he gets up to 240 he's losing his ability to get outside and that's what he did so well in college. He's better off sticking with what he is good at and trying to become an Edge-like back who can catch and block.

At 240, he's not a speed guy. But he was one of the best track athletes in the nation in HS - he can run.
How can you not be a speed guy and be one of the best track athletes in the nation... unless you say that he's fast for a high school kid. Anyone have any numbers for his 40, 100, and 200 yard dash times???

At 240, he's not a speed guy.   But he was one of the best track athletes in the nation in HS - he can run.
How can you not be a speed guy and be one of the best track athletes in the nation... unless you say that he's fast for a high school kid. Anyone have any numbers for his 40, 100, and 200 yard dash times???
Because you get up to 240 pounds and can't run as fast anymore. They don't do yards in track, it's meters, and he was like a 10.2 100m guy. Like I added to the previous, he still holds the state records with a 6.82 60m. The best in 05 was in the 6.9's. I also know he participated in some sort of Nike national track event, still searching for some of those results. He came in 2nd in the 100m in that one, the guy that won still holds the national record at that level I believe.He supposedly ran a 4.26 40 at FSU's Summer something or other his first year out of HS as well. But yes, he did not have a stellar pro day and ran in the high 4.5's in even his 2nd attempt. Anyone that saw the tape from him that year though knows he wasn't getting caught from behind...

How are his hands? Martz threw a lot of passes Faulk's & Jackson's way in the past ... Should we expect the same for Jones?
I don't think he's a natural receiver like Faulk, but it's something he can do fine. In college he wasn't asked to do much receiving since that's not Beamer's offense, but he did fine when thrown the ball. At his Pro Day, he was great at receiving and surprised a lot of people. In Detroit, he has had a problem with drops and that won't get you in on 3rd downs.

I know the thoughts of Detroit's offense are not good but as a STL fan if Martz could do what he did with that 99 team the Lions will be just fine.

Jones is a really interesting player. One of the knocks on him entering the league was that he was too small and too much of a dancer, but he's actually been more of a power back the NFL level. I was disappointed with his performance last year, but still feel that he can be a consistent top 10 back if he stays healthy and gets enough touches.

Jones is a really interesting player. One of the knocks on him entering the league was that he too small and too much of a dancer, but he's actually been more of a power back the NFL level. I was disappointed with his performance last year, but still feel that he can be a consistent top 10 back if he stays healthy and gets enough touches.
Good post. I still see some of the dancing tendencies in him, though he also has demonstrated an ability to pound his way for yards and TDs. I think he has a lot of room to grow as a runner. If he learns to make better cuts and hit holes with more authority and confidence, he really could be scary.

I know he's bigger than Ahman, but his tendency to dance and his track speed remind me of Ahman's early years. You could see that both were trying to figure out their running style. I think Jones will be a beast once he figures it out.

It'll be interesting to see if he can put it all together under Martz. I just hope Martz doesn't use him the way he used Jackson. Granted, Bryson is no Faulk, but I think Martz will obviously play a major role on what Jones' numbers will be.

As others have said once he stops dancing he will be fine. He is frustrating to watch because he dances more than Michael Jackson before trying to hit a hole.

RBs adding/dropping weight is a big red flag for me. Usually it is a sign that their previous poor performance will continue. It is a totally unscientific approach but avoiding these players in redraft has proven to be a good thing.

I like Kevin Jones but Detroit is still a mess and him adding/dropping weight isn't going to change a thing.
That is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Unscientific is an understatement. Good luck with that.

RBs adding/dropping weight is a big red flag for me.  Usually it is a sign that their previous poor performance will continue.  It is a totally unscientific approach but avoiding these players in redraft has proven to be a good thing.

That is the craziest thing I've ever heard. Unscientific is an understatement. Good luck with that.
After Jones once again underperforms his talent level in 2006 we'll get the off season story next year that he added 10 pounds and how it is going to help him.It is unscientific but I came to this conclusion back in the days when I had time to track blurbs like this year-to-year. There was a pattern to underperforming RBs and one year the story was why this year was going to better because they added/dropped weight, the next year you'd get the same story going in the other direction.

Now, maybe the real reason is the player just isn't as good as the consensus seems to think he should be or maybe his team just sucks or his previous coach sucked. It is my own little urban FF myth but it seems to me that a player and a team have so much information at their disposal that I find it difficult to believe that it has taken him 2 years to find his true playing weight.

Just a bunch of happy talk to sucker you in to projecting him too high. I liked him coming out of college and owned him in a previous dynasty league I was in. I still think he has ability but for a redraft this weight up/down happy talk is just a bunch of rationalizations that push my projections for him down.

As others have said once he stops dancing he will be fine. He is frustrating to watch because he dances more than Michael Jackson before trying to hit a hole.
Michael Jackson..hitting holes...that's just plain sick man. :thumbdown:

If I'm not mistaken, the team recently resigned Bryson to a multiyear deal. he's always been a good receiving back so you have to factor that in, he's going to be around for a while.

As others have said once he stops dancing he will be fine.  He is frustrating to watch because he dances more than Michael Jackson before trying to hit a hole.
Michael Jackson..hitting holes...that's just plain sick man. :thumbdown:
Too funny! I like KJ this year. By the way the 4.6 40 time has been discussed hear before. The slow time can be attributed to the fact that he raises his hand before he starts.

Too funny! I like KJ this year. By the way the 4.6 40 time has been discussed hear before. The slow time can be attributed to the fact that he raises his hand before he starts.
Raising your hand drops your 40 time nearly 2 tenths? Lucky he didn't stick out his tongue or lift his buttocks too high in the starting blocks... we might've seen a 4.9!

Users who are viewing this thread