What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kind of Blue (1 Viewer)

Kind of Blue is the probably the GOAT. Some other notables:

Guru - Jazmattazz. I have lots of love for Donald Byrd, Roy Ayers, Brandford Marsalis and the blend with hip hop.

As for newer age stuff, check out a friend from Houston called Jason Moran. He's quite important in the modern jazz movement.

I realize why Kind of Blue is so well-regarded, but I’ve always been partial to Miles’ “Sketches of Spain” over it. Melodies a bit more interesting to me with the fusion of influences.

“Ella & Louis” is another one of my favorites.

I realize why Kind of Blue is so well-regarded, but I’ve always been partial to Miles’ “Sketches of Spain” over it. Melodies a bit more interesting to me with the fusion of influences.

Both of those are great albums, what mood I'm in will determine which I listen to at a given time.

Best 100 Jazz albums - allegedly

Kind of Blue is #37 on this list.

This list was compiled by Piero Scaruffi. Cut and pasted from Wiki:
For a number of years he worked for Olivetti on artificial intelligence,[4][5] as well as at Stanford University.[6] He has been a visiting scholar at Harvard University and Stanford University (conducting research on Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science), lectured on "The Nature of Mind" and "History of Knowledge" (most recently at U.C. Berkeley), and published on artificial intelligence and cognitive science, including Thinking About Thought (2003) and The Nature of Consciousness (2006).

His work aims to bridge artificial intelligence, mathematics, science and art. As a software consultant, he worked on Internet applications, Artificial Intelligence and Object-Oriented design in Silicon Valley. He is an Italian-American, a naturalized U.S. citizen. He also writes about music. He published books about the history of rock music, jazz, avant garde music and modern popular music. One of them, A History of Rock and Dance Music, vol 1 and 2, spans 50 years of the genre;[7] Scaruffi estimated that it had sold 1,500 copies by 2006.[1] His writings on music are hosted online on his own website, scaruffi.com, and include a history of jazz and a history of modern classical music. The website, especially its music section, was the subject of an article in The New York Times by Dan Morrell on October 15, 2006.[1] Morrell noted the "staggering" volume of Scaruffi's work, given that the site is "a one-man operation".[1] From 2000 to 2003 he was a member of the Governing Board of Directors of the journal Leonardo.[8] The most widely known entry on Scaruffi's website is his career-spanning essay on the Beatles, effectively a polemic against the critical and popular consensus regarding the band's influence on modern music.

Scaruffi chaired, among others, the Big Bang conference of June 2008 at UC-Berkeley.[9] He has compiled an extensive "Annotated Bibliography of Mind-Related" Topics", as well. He has been running the Leonardo Art Science Evenings (LASERS) at the University of San Francisco and Stanford University, a series that he established in 2008 and as of 2022 spread to 50 universities worldwide.[10][11] He also runs the interdisciplinary quarterly events SMMMASH at Stanford University. Scaruffi is involved in organising and moderating events for Stanford Continuing Studies.[12]

Last edited:

All great - I’m probably most partial to the experimental nature of Bitches Brew.

Saxophone Colossus and The Bridge by Sonny Rollins

Time Out by Dave Brubeck Quartet

Art Pepper +11 Modern Jazz Classics by Art Pepper

Duke Ellington Live at Newport

Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley

West Coast Jazz by Stan Getz

Birth of the Cool by Miles Davis

Our Man in Paris and Go! by Dexter Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread