What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kurt Warner expected to remain with Cardinals (1 Viewer)

azcards33

Footballguy
All signs point to Warner staying with Cards

By Darren Urban, Tribune

January 10, 2006

An initial call has yet to be made, much less negotiations started. But unless the situation unexpectedly implodes, Kurt Warner will return as quarterback of the Cardinals in 2006, likely getting a contract extension before becoming a free agent in March.

"There is a mutual interest in continuing our relationship," vice president of football operations Rod Graves said Monday. "We’d like to have him back."

Just last week, coach Dennis Green was still playing coy over what might happen with both Warner and fellow free-agent-to-be Josh McCown.

Barring a surprise cut somewhere else in the league, Warner and McCown would be arguably the two best quarterbacks available in free agency. A handful of teams may need a veteran — Miami, the New York Jets, Baltimore, Oakland and Detroit, for example.

Warner’s agent, Mark Bartelstein, acknowledged Monday a free agent owes it to himself to look at possible opportunities.

Yet, Bartelstein added, "It may not be the best thing for me to say for negotiations, but being honest, I think he wants it to work out with the Cardinals."

In fact, Warner — who had expressed similar sentiments a few times near the end of the season — noted the day after the season finale, "the quicker, the better for everybody involved here if that’s the direction we want to go."

Warner’s 85.8 passing rating was the franchise’s best since Neil Lomax posted an 86.7 in 1988. He also set a team record with his 64.5 completion percentage.

Graves knows it’s possible Warner might have other suitors if he hits the open market.

"Optimistically, we’d like to get something settled, but we’ll see how it goes," Graves said.

Warner had wanted a long-term contract before inking his one-year, $2 million contract with a $2 million signing bonus last year with Arizona. With Warner turning 35 in June, there may have to be compromise there again — perhaps a two-year contract worth between $8 million and $10 million.

Graves has his own leverage. The Cardinals may be the only team to all but guarantee Warner a starting job, which is a big reason Warner wants to return.

That’s also the big reason McCown has considered himself all but gone now that his contract will expire.

"I obviously want to play," McCown said the day after the season. "I know I can start in this league. I can be effective as a starter. If the opportunity won’t present itself here, that’s the fun part of free agency. You have an opportunity to do it somewhere else."

Graves has a handful of freeagents-to-be on his to-do list. In addition to re-signing Warner, the team wants to get nose tackle Russell Davis under contract.

Teams have until March 2 for exclusive negotiating time. Then players hit the open market. That’s why Graves won’t wait too much longer before beginning talks with Bartelstein.

"Until something happens, you can’t close all your windows," Bartelstein said. "But I’m sure something will shake out in the next little bit."

Last edited by a moderator:
Good move by the Cardinals. This will enable them to draft a youngster and have him ride the pine for a year or two. Now, it's time to shore up that running game.

Quarterbacks with ratings in the mid to high 80s don't grow on trees......that stat along with the 65% completion percentage suggests that Warner is anything but finished....I don't understand your point here......

I disagree that Kurt Warner is finished as well. What's key here for Arizona is to rebuild their offensive line to protect an oft-injured Warner. Since a better offensive line will help the running game too, they have even more reasons to make this their focus. Signing Warner means they can develop a less expensive QB of the future (read not a free agent or first round draft choice). What will be interesting is seeing whether the help on the line comes from FA or the draft. Where ever it comes from more, I expect a better RB will come from the other.

Kurt Warner is far from finished!

His hand is healthy again and he is back to being able to light up the secondaries around the NFL. He led the league in Passing Yards per game and beat out Brady by nearly 15 yards a game!

He also led the Cardinals to the most passing plays of 20+ yards [56] and 40+ yards [11] of the NFL!

If Arizona can develop even a glimmer of a running game, then the Cardinals should be able to score at will for the next 3 - 5 years. With Warner and the combination of Fitzgerald and Boldin is the best WR #1, WR #2 in the league IMHO!

Good move by the Cardinals.
110 percent agreement.Draft a young-un and let him hold a clipboard until Warner ineviotably gets injured, give Boldin and Fitz another pair of top-5 receiver finishes (my favorite combo if you go TRB in round one is to take Fitz and Boldin in rounds 2/3).Th equestionm is who do they get as their young QB?I also predict they sign/draft an OL or two and make a big name trade/signing of a veteran RB - ala Ahman Green or Ricky Williams - rather than address the running game in the draft.

I don't get this at all. Warner is a swell guy, but he is beyond finished as a QB in this league.
wow - you could not be more wrong.He can't stay HEALTHY, but he proved in BOTH NY and AZ that he is still fully capable of running an offense and racking up big time QB numbers.

I don't get this at all. Warner is a swell guy, but he is beyond finished as a QB in this league.
Apparently you never watched a Cards game this past season (don't feel bad, billions of people joined you in avoiding them), but as the previous psoters have already said, Warner was good. Period...he threw well and he can read a defense. He's exactly what they need there for a few years, provided they get him an offensive line that can pass block a bit. If they do, the Cards will be money...Fitz and Boldin should catch 200 balls again,for more yardage than this year. And if they actually get a running game, they could win that division...

Man, am I glad to see this. I've got McCown on a dynasty roster & almost dropped him in the preseason this year because of Warner.McCown was 10-12 in his starts for AZ, while all other QBs were 5-21 in the same time period for the dog-butt ugly Cards. If he can post a respectable record with that team, while others including Warner flopped miserably, I'm looking forward to his getting another chance with another team. There just might be something there, and lord knows that other players that have gotten out of the NFL slum that Bidwell has created have gone on to some decent success in the NFL.

I do NOT see McCown going to another team and being their STARTER.He is another team's safety net - at best. Even Miami would have him riding pine behind Frerrotte. Your best use of McCown was for Warner to have been cut and for McCown to have inherited that pass happy offense - but keep that silver lining - it is what makes dynasty prospects so interesting.

I don't get this at all.  Warner is a swell guy, but he is beyond finished as a QB in this league.
Apparently you never watched a Cards game this past season (don't feel bad, billions of people joined you in avoiding them), but as the previous psoters have already said, Warner was good. Period...he threw well and he can read a defense. He's exactly what they need there for a few years, provided they get him an offensive line that can pass block a bit. If they do, the Cards will be money...Fitz and Boldin should catch 200 balls again,for more yardage than this year. And if they actually get a running game, they could win that division...
Exactly what I was about to post. i cant understand people saying Warner is done. Did anyone actually watch this guy play this year? He made some unbeleivable plays behind a horrible offensive line and with zero running game, not to mention this defense was so bad that the Cards were usually playing from behind which made it pretty easy to defend them. Warner was the least of their problems. Maybe the Cards can end up with Cutler from Vandy, he can sit behind Warner and learn. Warner has been a good mentor to other young QB, except Eli who is a spoiled punk.

I do NOT see McCown going to another team and being their STARTER.

He is another team's safety net - at best. Even Miami would have him riding pine behind Frerrotte. Your best use of McCown was for Warner to have been cut and for McCown to have inherited that pass happy offense - but keep that silver lining - it is what makes dynasty prospects so interesting.
I have no illusions that McCown will be named a starter as a FA acquisition, but I do think he has a shot of earning his way into a starting spot. There are some teams with some serious QB woes, and decent QBs are few & far between. Maybe McCown can sneak in and make a splash. In a good place, I'd be willing to keep a roster spot for him.

Man, am I glad to see this. I've got McCown on a dynasty roster & almost dropped him in the preseason this year because of Warner.

McCown was 10-12 in his starts for AZ, while all other QBs were 5-21 in the same time period for the dog-butt ugly Cards. If he can post a respectable record with that team, while others including Warner flopped miserably, I'm looking forward to his getting another chance with another team. There just might be something there, and lord knows that other players that have gotten out of the NFL slum that Bidwell has created have gone on to some decent success in the NFL.
McCowns W-L record is about as relavent as the position of the stars when it come to determining who should be the starting QB. It's much more about who the Cards played, and when they played them. McCown is a nice back-up, a filler that you can throw in for a few games if your starter is hurt...he's not, IMO, a starter in the NFL. Warner has been, and is, a quality NFL starter. It's a much better plan to have him mentor someone for a few years, and then turn over the position when the kid is ready.

I do NOT see McCown going to another team and being their STARTER.

He is another team's safety net - at best.  Even Miami would have him riding pine behind Frerrotte. Your best use of McCown was for Warner to have been cut and for McCown to have inherited that pass happy offense - but keep that silver lining - it is what makes dynasty prospects so interesting.
I have no illusions that McCown will be named a starter as a FA acquisition, but I do think he has a shot of earning his way into a starting spot. There are some teams with some serious QB woes, and decent QBs are few & far between. Maybe McCown can sneak in and make a splash. In a good place, I'd be willing to keep a roster spot for him.
I understand what you are saying, but unless he goes to St Lou, the best spot for him to "step in" and do well is right where he was.

Good move by the Cardinals. This will enable them to draft a youngster and have him ride the pine for a year or two. Now, it's time to shore up that running game.
Did I miss something like Navarre left the team? Talk about a young clipboard holder ridin' the pine a year or two...

As a matter of fact I was at Sun Devil Stadium when they played the Seahawks. I saw all three INTs.

I don't get this at all.  Warner is a swell guy, but he is beyond finished as a QB in this league.
As a matter of fact I was at Sun Devil Stadium when they played the Seahawks. I saw all three INTs.
So what? You are still way off on how he performed this year for the Cards at QB. He showed he is far from finished as an NFL QB.

wow - you could not be more wrong.He can't stay HEALTHY, but he proved in BOTH NY and AZ that he is still fully capable of running an offense and racking up big time QB numbers.
Which is awesome for fantasy, but amazingly, people in the NFL want wins, not stats.Warner is done as a WINNING QB in this league. Hes a solid fantasy play though.

Fine, I'm wrong. Hope AZ fans are cool with a 3-win season next year.
well - like I said - his HEALTH is always at issue - his ability to lead an NFL offense is not.

Which is awesome for fantasy, but amazingly, people in the NFL want wins, not stats.Warner is done as a WINNING QB in this league. Hes a solid fantasy play though.
??While we lay w-l at QBs' feet, it is an unfair thing to do. Esp. in Warner's sitch - unless you can point to Warner mistakes that directly led to the Cards losing . . . . .

:thumbup:

warner did look like a shell of himself the last couple years with the rams... but martz runs/ran a very high risk (to the QBs health :) ) offense...ARI just hired steve loney from MIN as OL coach, which should be an upgrade...if they draft someone like eric winston (#10?), they could move former high first round pick leonard davis to the seemingly more natural RT position... he doesn't have the foot speed, agility & quickness to be an elite LT...this would help run game & take pressure off warner...when given time, he will do some damage throwing to boldin & fitzgerald... they are one of the best WR tandems in the NFL, & may soon be the best...though in his mid-thirties, some of that time was out of football & in arena league, so he could have a lot left in the tank... & he seems to be over the mystery hand ailment that caused the ball to get sprayed all over the field like a wiffle ball near the end with the rams... he is back to throwing lasers again, like when at the top of his game earlier in his career...if the cards could develope a run game & keep warner on his feet, they could make some noise... SEA will be tough to overtake (especially if they retain SA), but a wildcard shot could be realistic...they already have a solid nucleus of defenders in bertrand berry, darnell dockett, karlos dansby, adrian wilson & antrel rolle... but berry & rolle missed a lot of time... they could be a team just 1-2 OL & 1-2 defenders away (robert griffith probably not a viable FS at this point in his career... he was a decent SS a few years ago) from having a legitimate chance at a playoff berth...

The point is, the losses weren't Warner's fault. Like any other QB would have succeeded with that line, defense, and running back.

Good move by the Cardinals.  This will enable them to draft a youngster and have him ride the pine for a year or two.  Now, it's time to shore up that running game.
Did I miss something like Navarre left the team? Talk about a young clipboard holder ridin' the pine a year or two...
Navarre isn't anyone's QB of the future from what I can tell.

The point is, the losses weren't Warner's fault. Like any other QB would have succeeded with that line, defense, and running back.
Of course they weren't all his fault. Here's one thing I've noticed about Warner in recent years (since others were asking for examples) - when his receivers are covered Warner tends to hold onto the ball much longer than he should. The result is usually a sack for a big loss or a sack and a fumble. It's like he gets brain lock when the coverage is too good.

Fine, I'm wrong.  Hope AZ fans are cool with a 3-win season next year.
Well, in all fairness to Autumn Wind, McCown posted a much better W-L record with literally the exact same team.My point is that I need some proof that Warner's W-L was due to Warner. Which I don't see.

I Love how people decide something, and then back it to the end with absolutely no evidence. If you can show me how Warner was responsible for the losses, please do so. If you can show me that McCown was responsible for the victories, please do so as well.Kurt Warner is one player out of 22 on the field of play...he touches the ball on every play, so he has an abnormal amout of influence on every play. But not so much that he's responsible for the blocking, the routes of the recievers, the cuts the RB's make, the defenseive allignments, missed tackles, injuries, special teams mistakes, etc, etc, etc.

I meant they should aim to get a young guy with some talent. Navarre is excluded from this group.

I Love how people decide something, and then back it to the end with absolutely no evidence. If you can show me how Warner was responsible for the losses, please do so. If you can show me that McCown was responsible for the victories, please do so as well.Kurt Warner is one player out of 22 on the field of play...he touches the ball on every play, so he has an abnormal amout of influence on every play. But not so much that he's responsible for the blocking, the routes of the recievers, the cuts the RB's make, the defenseive allignments, missed tackles, injuries, special teams mistakes, etc, etc, etc.
Show me how anything you put in your initial post is more than wishful thinking. I've seen him play with the Cardinals, I've seen him play with the Giants. I have all the evidence I need that he's done.

Warner finished third in the league in passing yards per game, with a very good completion rate. However, he didn't have the td's. Why not?Well, with a total lack of a running game (due to the poor o-line...which was most of the reason he was sacked so often), the defense could concentrate on shutting down the receivers when the field got short.If the Cards seriously upgrade their o-line, through FA and the draft, they could be an offensive power, and Warner could have a great year.

Fine, I'm wrong.  Hope AZ fans are cool with a 3-win season next year.
Well, in all fairness to Autumn Wind, McCown posted a much better W-L record with literally the exact same team.My point is that I need some proof that Warner's W-L was due to Warner. Which I don't see.
Isn't McCowns W-L with the same team an indication of that?

IMHO, neither W-L record is an indicator of anything in this regard.

As a team, the Cardinals lost to everyone they should have lost to and won against everyone they should have won against except for two possible games.

a) The loss they all shared to the miserable Texans in Week #15.

b) The loss that McCown had to 1/3 of the Colts in Week #17.

In games he played as the sole QB, McCown ended up 3-3.

He lost to Carolina, Dallas and Indianapolis.

He won against San Francisco, Tennessee and Philadelphia.

He was sacked an average of 2.67 times per game.

He averaged 278.5 yards, 1.50 TD, 1.33 INT and 0.33 fumbles per game.

In games he played as the sole QB, Warner ended up 2-5.

He lost to Washington, Jacksonville, Detroit, Seattle and St. Louis.

He won against San Francisco and St. Louis.

He was sacked an average of 2.43 times per game.

He averaged 318.4 yards, 1.29 TD, 1.14 INT and 0.71 fumbles per game.

Together they ended up 0-3 [With Navarre].

They lost to New York Giants, Seattle and Houston.

They were sacked an average of 4.0 times per game.

They averaged 273.0 yards, 1.00 TD, 1.67 INT and 0.33 fumbles per game.

<><><><><>

McCown averaged 53.7 yards, 0.00 TD, 1.00 INT and 0.33 fumbles in these games.

Warner averaged 161.3 yards, 0.67 TD, 0.33 INT and 0.00 fumbles in these games.

Navarre tallied 174.0 yards, 1.00 TD, 1.00 INT and 0.00 fumbles in the Houston game.

As a full season.

McCown averaged 203.6 yards, 1.0 TD, 1.2 INT and 0.30 fumbles per game.

Warner averaged 271.3 yards, 1.1 TD, 0.9 INT and 0.50 fumbles per game.

Warner had an edge with regard to yardage, TD and turnovers per game. Especially when considering the distribution and nature of the competition.

What QB wouldn't produce more wins with a good OL and receivers??  :rolleyes:

(well, maybe not Harrington)  :D
they ALREADY have the WRs, & can shore up OL with high first round pick...so warner is done... unless they get upgrades?

which is not only possible but likely... so maybe he isn't done, after all?

What QB wouldn't produce more wins with a good OL and receivers?? :rolleyes:

(well, maybe not Harrington) :D
they ALREADY have the WRs, & can shore up OL with high first round pick...so warner is done... unless they get upgrades?

which is not only possible but likely... so maybe he isn't done, after all?
We'll have to see. I certainly am not rooting against Warner. He's one of the good guys in the NFL. I'm just going by what I've seen the last few years. If I'm proven wrong, I'll admit it and be happy for Kurt and AZ fans.

Users who are viewing this thread