What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lake Erie Rebuilding Bros (Bills/Browns/Lions) (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
Coming off a historic weekend which saw the Bills win their first playoff game in 25 years and the Browns win their first in 26 years (and first in this incarnation of the franchise.) It's been 27 years since the Lions won a division title and 29 years (AND counting) since they won a playoff game.

First off, I am genuinely happy for my brethren in Buffalo and Cleveland. You're where Detroit fans want to be: on the upswing, and with young franchise quarterbacks, feeling optimistic about the future. I have no ill will toward others enjoying success. Your win is my win, it actually makes me feel more hopeful. Maybe one day that will be us.

Buffalo Bills Playoff Summary:

All-Time Playoffs: 32 Games, 15-17
Wild Card Round: 9 Games, 4-5
Divisional Round: 11 Games, 5-6
Conference Championship: 6 Games, 4-2
Super Bowl: 4 Games, 0-4
Championship (pre-1966): 2 Games, 2-0

During the 5 playoff loss streak that just ended, the Bills lost in OT, lost three games they were leading 4th Quarter - including the Music City Miracle with 3 seconds left - plus another they were tied in the final frame. They lost every game by 7 points or less. So close, and a playoff drought of 18 years in there (2000-18.) Gotta feel so good right now. 14-3 and #2 seed is legit.

Cleveland Browns Playoff Summary:

Wild Card Round: 5 Games, 2-3
Divisional Round: 14 Games, 7-7
Conference Championship: 5 Games, 0-5
Championship (pre-1966): 13 Games, 8-5

Speaking of 18 year droughts....wow what an amazing way to end it! The Browns led their Jan 2003 WC round game at Heinz field 33-21 and frittered it away in the last 4 minutes. Even when they were up 28-0, I'm sure that game was in the back of a lot of fans minds. The Steelers didn't play great but remember at halftime the yardage was almost identical and TOP was nearly 2:1 for Pittsburgh. The Browns, sans their HC and playing O-linemen their QB had literally never met before yesterday, took advantage of their turnover opportunities. Great job!

Detroit Lions Playoff Summary:

Wild Card Round: 5 Games, 2-3
Divisional Round: 14 Games, 7-7
Conference Championship: 5 Games, 0-5
Championship (pre-1966): 13 Games, 8-5

Just once before I die, Lord. Just once.

The Lions have an 8-game losing streak in the playoffs. Same old story: good enough to beat bad teams, do OK against mediocre franchise, cannot compete with the elite squads. They've lost 8 straight WC round games bc the fact is it's really hard to win road playoff games.

The Lions were 6-1 (4 NFL Titles) before I was born. 1-12 in the playoffs in my lifetime.

Just once. Is that too much to ask?

Tennessee Titans, San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles, Minnesota Vikings, Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills, Atlanta Falcons, and Arizona Cardinals have never won a Super Bowl. 13 out of 32 teams - 41%. That's a high number, right? Would expect a little more parity after 55 years of the Super Bowl era. Browns and the Bills are the only teams that could still come off that list in a few weeks.

Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Cleveland Browns, and Detroit Lions have never made a Super Bowl. Two of those teams are expansion teams that have only been around a quarter of a century. And let's be honest, the organization that won two Super Bowls for Baltimore didn't come out of the ether, so the Browns inclusion on this list requires a bit of suspension of disbelief. They are a de facto expansion team. Only one team existed through the entirety of the NFL Championship era and has never once advanced to the ultimate game.

Just once.

Anyway, four dollars a pound. Nobody cares about the Lions or your FF team. Congrats to my fellow perennial Lake Erie rebuilders for finally ending their respective droughts. Enjoy the week, you deserve it.

:thumbup:

Someone on the radio mentioned that the NFL is one league where being in a major market/great weather isn't that big a deal. Green Bay, KC, Buffalo, Cleveland, Baltimore are some examples. With a fairly rigid salary cap a lot is possible. It really imo comes down to the Ford Lion ownership giving the right people control of how to shape their team like these others. The right GM, the right HC, all the way down the line. The fact that even Washington seems to be on the way up makes this seem a little less unpossible.

I don't think Buffalo belongs with Detroit and Cleveland.  They have been to 4 Super Bowls.  They at least brought their fan base a bit of the playoff experience.  They are more equivalent to the kick in the balls fans of the Vikings where once something good happens you wait for the inevitable kick to the scrotum dashing any hopes of getting over the hump.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Tennessee Titans, San Diego Chargers, Philadelphia Eagles, Minnesota Vikings, Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Carolina Panthers, Buffalo Bills, Atlanta Falcons, and Arizona Cardinals have never won a Super Bowl. 13 out of 32 teams - 41%. That's a high number, right? Would expect a little more parity after 55 years of the Super Bowl era. Browns and the Bills are the only teams that could still come off that list in a few weeks.
Um, one of these things doesn’t belong.

Yes.

To your point about parity, it didn’t really exist before free agency and the cap came in in the mid 90s. It was easier for teams to become dominant for a long time. Which makes what the Pats did even more remarkable.
Outside of a few exceptions, having a franchise QB is a requirement.  You can imposed as much parity as you want, but there are only so many Tom Brady's to go around.

Outside of a few exceptions, having a franchise QB is a requirement.  You can imposed as much parity as you want, but there are only so many Tom Brady's to go around.
Yep. Which makes what the ‘85 Bears, ‘00 Ravens, ‘02 Bucs, etc did more remarkable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread