What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (6 Viewers)

"He's a lot faster than I thought he was," Cameron Wake said about Lamar Miller. "He's explosive. A big play kind of guy."

Solid endorsement here. This is a guy who's hype is sky high... My gut is that he overdelivers. For what he is going for now, still think he is a buy low.

Rotoworld:

Coach Joe Philbin says Lamar Miller has "really progressed" over the course of OTAs and minicamp.
"He is very smart," Philbin said. "I think he has really progressed from a mental standpoint as a professional in his second season. He has very good hands. We like a lot of the things he is doing in pass protection. Again, we have to temper our enthusiasm based on how he does in pads, but I think his understanding of how he fits in the protection scheme is very good. We use that term, ‘closing the distance.’ He has done an excellent job in that regard in the spring, so we’ll have to see how that carries over to the fall." Miller is the favorite for lead-back duties in the Miami backfield. We have him as a mid-to-low RB2.

Source: Miami Herald
Ryan Tannehill-led Miami Dolphins primed for big offensive yearExcerpt:

3) Lamar Miller is the NFL's best-kept secret.

Some were surprised the Dolphins didn't make a stronger play to keep Reggie Bush after his contract expired at season's end. But I believe Lamar Miller will show the football world the team was wise to move on when he steps into the starting lineup this fall.

I believe Miller is a Clinton Portis clone, with the tools to be a dominant runner in the NFL. He has the speed to turn the corner on outside runs, while also displaying the toughness to pick up the hard yards between the tackles. Additionally, he possesses the elusiveness to make defenders miss in the open field on the way to big gains.

When I evaluated Miller coming out of college, I ranked him as the third-best runner in the 2012 class and gave him a late first-round grade. Although he inexplicably slid into the fourth round, I still believe he is a special back, based on the glimpses he displayed as a rookie. In the video to the right, Miller shows the combination of vision, balance and burst that caught my attention. He has exceptional stop-start quickness, which makes him tough to tackle in the hole. With the Dolphins set to use more three-receiver formations to spread the field, Miller's talents as an all-around runner could shine in Miami this season.

1) Injury -- All RBs can get injured. I don't think he's any more of a risk to get injured, but if you feel differently, I don't mind hearing about it. I'll add that he doesn't carry near the injury history that half of the RBs above him carry. Thus, even if he were to get injured, it's not as if his value will completely plummet, unlike a guy like Murray or DMC or Mathews. 2) Lack of opportunity -- It's possible he won't end up getting enough carries to be valued at RB22, but I think that's highly unlikely based on the organization's actions and words up until this point. Even some doubters early on see it's pretty clear that he's got first crack at the starting job. Minimum of 200 carries is a virtual lock barring epic collapse or injury. Again, if you disagree here, please feel free to let me know why. And, even if he didn't get the starting job, he certainly wouldn't be the first guy to have to sit another year, especially at his age. I don't think his value would drop significantly unless another RB came in and stole the starting job. 3) Lack of production -- Here is the biggest risk, IMO. But, is it really a "risk"? I mean, how badly would he have to perform to lose value from RB22? Lynch at a 4.0 ypc and 7 TDs in his first year as a starter. Forte at 3.9 and 8 TDs. Mathews 4.3 and 7 TDs. Richardson at 3.6 ypc and 11 TDs. None of those guys lost any significant value after a relatively poor to mediocre start by all of them. At worst, Miller's value stays around where he is now (RB low to mid 20's). Now imagine he hits 4.5+ ypc and catches 30 balls. Do you think a 22 year old RB who performs anything decently in his first year as the starter will stay at RB20?
I've got to admit, this guy is kind of in my blind spot, but I'm interested in learning more about him. Hard to get too excited given what I've read so far.

1) I can't speak to his injury history, but that espn excerpt from Faust just stated that injuries and durability have been concerns dating back to college.

2) As for opportunity, sure he's got first crack, but a lot of guys who have been given first crack have fizzled. Look at Shonn Greene's second year. He started all of what, one game? And he had a much more impressive rookie year than Miller, including some stud-like performances in the playoffs. Unforeseeable things happen in the NFL. You obviously can't imagine a scenario in which he doesn't get 200 carries and, at first glance, neither can I. But that doesn't mean I'm not extremely wary of it. If he fumbles a bit or gives up a couple early sacks then he could struggle to get out of the dog house the rest of the year while they muddle through a RBBC.

3) I don't get the comparisons to Lynch, Richardson, etc. Those guys all had pedigrees and were drafted to be THE guy for their team. Miller was a shot in the dark in the 4th round. The team had other priorities in a weak RB draft class so now they're going to give this little experiment a shot this year. This is just not a confidence inspiring situation. 4th round draft picks don't get extra chances. If he rocks out 3.9 ypc this year or gets hurt, we'll probably see some new faces at the position next year. That would not be the case if they'd spent an early first rounder on him and it was his rookie year. He'll have had two seasons under his belt and a low cap figure next year, so he's only got one shot to make it count before he becomes a cheap, young backup. Not a great feeling for a dynasty owner.
Shonn Greene was a 2nd round fantasy pick that year.

You can get Miller in the 4th/5th this year in most leagues (at this point).

Risk is MUCH MUCH lower.

You can get Miller in the 4th/5th this year in most leagues (at this point).

Risk is MUCH MUCH lower.
He getting alot of hype lately. According to FFC, his ADP has moved from the bottom of the 4th to the bottom on the 3rd in the last month.

I am not sure I want to buy at that price.

Coach Joe Philbin says Lamar Miller has "really progressed" over the course of OTAs and minicamp.
"He is very smart," Philbin said. "I think he has really progressed from a mental standpoint as a professional in his second season. He has very good hands. We like a lot of the things he is doing in pass protection. Again, we have to temper our enthusiasm based on how he does in pads, but I think his understanding of how he fits in the protection scheme is very good. We use that term, ‘closing the distance.’ He has done an excellent job in that regard in the spring, so we’ll have to see how that carries over to the fall." Miller is the favorite for lead-back duties in the Miami backfield. We have him as a mid-to-low RB2

More from Silva:

Lamar Miller

Before diving into Miller's first-year game tape, I went back and watched five of his heaviest-workload college games to get a stronger feel for the kind of runner he was before he entered the pros. His rookie season provides a small sample size, so it was an opportunity to become more familiar with Miller the runner. Also, I believe playing styles, tendencies, and some abilities are tweaked when pro coaching staffs, and conditioning and weight room experts enter the discussion. I always find it fascinating when NFL rookies look better in certain areas just one year removed from college. And I believe this happens more often than some people might think.

Miller's rookie year consisted of 57 touches as he was slow to learn the playbook and failed to endear himself in pass protection. Only seven of Miller's rookie-year touches came on third down, including four of his six receptions. Thus, 87.7 percent of his touches occurred on first and second down. I still came away impressed after watching him. The former Miami Hurricane demonstrated better wiggle than I noticed on Miller's college film. While not an exceptionally elusive runner, Miller's feet are quick enough that he can make defenders miss when necessary. One play stood out in the Week 10 Titans game. On second-and-one from a single-back formation, Miller made an explosive lateral cut behind the line of scrimmage to elude strong safety Jordan Babineaux charging downhill. Miller turned what well could have been a negative play into a nine-yard gain.

Lacking in Miller's game is physicality, a characteristic I also noticed from him at Miami. In more than one instance, Miller dove at the feet of an oncoming defender instead of powering through or going by him. He essentially gave up on those plays. While Miller flashed a stiff arm -- in particular on a 22-yard inside power run to break Darrelle Revis' arm tackle against the Jets in Week 3 -- Miller's game is finesse. He is not a pile pusher or leg-drive runner. I don't think he loves contact.

There were still plenty of positives. Miller's nifty feet, darting style, and plus balance could help him atone for a lack of consistent lateral explosion. His calling cards as a runner are outstanding up-field burst, ability to squirt through traffic, and dangerous perimeter speed. Miller is a bona fide playmaker when he gets space on the outside. His straight-line acceleration jumps off the screen.

The Dolphins liked putting Miller in the I-formation and the offset I, which explains their interest in free agent fullback Vonta Leach. Jorvorskie Lane can be a force in short yardage and on special teams, but he was an inconsistent lead blocker last season. As the year progressed, Miller was used more and more as the sidesaddle back next to Ryan Tannehill on shotgun plays. The tape suggests Miller was beginning to earn the coaching staff's trust as a receiver and pass protector.

Question marks remain about Miller's consistency in pass pro and whether a relatively soft back can function as a true offensive workhorse. The Dolphins appear to be thrusting Miller into that role in his second season. The Fins primarily run a zone-blocking ground game that generally doesn't require backs to churn their legs through defenders and be physical after-contact-yardage players. Vision, hole selection, and speed through the hole are more important elements for zone runners.

There is no question that Miller offers big-play ability, and in the admittedly small sample size I found him to be a sure-handed receiving back. Miller's current Average Draft Position is late in round three. That is perhaps a bit rich for my taste, but Miller will offer top-15 fantasy running back upside if he holds off Daniel Thomas and rookie Mike Gillislee to be Miami's every-down back.
The bolded is what I think helps Miller the most. I've compared him to Tatum Bell and I think like Bell he can be successful in that system. A 1200 yard season seems quite possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
1200 yds rushing seems like a nice place to set the O/U IMO. Personally, I think he'll get more than that but not by much. He should also have 1500 total yds as I see another 300 or so receiving. 1500 total yds is great for any back in fantasy. TDs will be a crap shoot. I don't know if hell have 5 or 15 and that will decide if he's major player or not.

When the dust settles I like Gillislee to win the job, probably my favorite late round rookie pick after Zac Stacy. If he can add maybe 5-10lbs of muscle he could be an every down back, hes good enough at everything and not great at one particular thing.
Your out of your mind.

Really....pipe dream bro.

Lamar Miller is this teams RB...he is going to explode this season.

Miller has elite speed....elite talent. And he had a full NFL off-season to bulk up and get stronger to carry a much more significant load. He was a steal where the Dolphins drafted him.

Absolute steal.

More from Silva:

Lamar Miller

Before diving into Miller's first-year game tape, I went back and watched five of his heaviest-workload college games to get a stronger feel for the kind of runner he was before he entered the pros. His rookie season provides a small sample size, so it was an opportunity to become more familiar with Miller the runner. Also, I believe playing styles, tendencies, and some abilities are tweaked when pro coaching staffs, and conditioning and weight room experts enter the discussion. I always find it fascinating when NFL rookies look better in certain areas just one year removed from college. And I believe this happens more often than some people might think.

Miller's rookie year consisted of 57 touches as he was slow to learn the playbook and failed to endear himself in pass protection. Only seven of Miller's rookie-year touches came on third down, including four of his six receptions. Thus, 87.7 percent of his touches occurred on first and second down. I still came away impressed after watching him. The former Miami Hurricane demonstrated better wiggle than I noticed on Miller's college film. While not an exceptionally elusive runner, Miller's feet are quick enough that he can make defenders miss when necessary. One play stood out in the Week 10 Titans game. On second-and-one from a single-back formation, Miller made an explosive lateral cut behind the line of scrimmage to elude strong safety Jordan Babineaux charging downhill. Miller turned what well could have been a negative play into a nine-yard gain.

Lacking in Miller's game is physicality, a characteristic I also noticed from him at Miami. In more than one instance, Miller dove at the feet of an oncoming defender instead of powering through or going by him. He essentially gave up on those plays. While Miller flashed a stiff arm -- in particular on a 22-yard inside power run to break Darrelle Revis' arm tackle against the Jets in Week 3 -- Miller's game is finesse. He is not a pile pusher or leg-drive runner. I don't think he loves contact.

There were still plenty of positives. Miller's nifty feet, darting style, and plus balance could help him atone for a lack of consistent lateral explosion. His calling cards as a runner are outstanding up-field burst, ability to squirt through traffic, and dangerous perimeter speed. Miller is a bona fide playmaker when he gets space on the outside. His straight-line acceleration jumps off the screen.

The Dolphins liked putting Miller in the I-formation and the offset I, which explains their interest in free agent fullback Vonta Leach. Jorvorskie Lane can be a force in short yardage and on special teams, but he was an inconsistent lead blocker last season. As the year progressed, Miller was used more and more as the sidesaddle back next to Ryan Tannehill on shotgun plays. The tape suggests Miller was beginning to earn the coaching staff's trust as a receiver and pass protector.

Question marks remain about Miller's consistency in pass pro and whether a relatively soft back can function as a true offensive workhorse. The Dolphins appear to be thrusting Miller into that role in his second season. The Fins primarily run a zone-blocking ground game that generally doesn't require backs to churn their legs through defenders and be physical after-contact-yardage players. Vision, hole selection, and speed through the hole are more important elements for zone runners.

There is no question that Miller offers big-play ability, and in the admittedly small sample size I found him to be a sure-handed receiving back. Miller's current Average Draft Position is late in round three. That is perhaps a bit rich for my taste, but Miller will offer top-15 fantasy running back upside if he holds off Daniel Thomas and rookie Mike Gillislee to be Miami's every-down back.
The bolded is what I think helps Miller the most. I've compared him to Tatum Bell and I think like Bell he can be successful in that system. A 1200 yard season seems quite possible.
Think Clinton Portis. But a little slimmer.

That is the type of back Lamar Miller can be.

Lamar Miller owners. never change lol.
Who are you referring to?

Todem is a Dolphins' fan I believe, and Matt Waldman (a staffer here at FBGs) did Miller's scouting profile and compared him to Portis.

Predicting 1,200 rushing yards and 1,500 total yards isn't irrational when you're talking about a workhorse back in an NFL offense.

He'll probably break a couple long runs for TDs and get some goalline looks as well. I'd expect him to score about 8 times.

Rock solid RB2 with some upside.

Todem is a Dolphins' fan I believe, and Matt Waldman (a staffer here at FBGs) did Miller's scouting profile and compared him to Portis.

Predicting 1,200 rushing yards and 1,500 total yards isn't irrational when you're talking about a workhorse back in an NFL offense.

He'll probably break a couple long runs for TDs and get some goalline looks as well. I'd expect him to score about 8 times.

How do you know he can shoulder the load of a "workhorse" when he has never been one?

I don't.

However, everything coming out of Miami suggests he'll get the opportunity, and I don't see Thomas cutting into his workload much.

How do you know he can shoulder the load of a "workhorse" when he has never been one?
If the MIA coaching staff (and GM) didn't think L.Miller could handle a full workload they would've drafted a RB in the first 4 rnds and would've picked up a RB like Ahmad Bradshaw or someone in Free Agency. I'm not saying we should assume L.Miller will and can for certainty to carry a full work load. But lets not ignore the tea leaves that I just explained show the coaching staff is giving L.Miller every opportunity to handle a full workload. (Assuming he has improved his pass protection enough.)

Just saw this on Fantrax/Rotoworld. I guess this answers the question about Pass Protection somewhat. (Obviously with Pads and tackling is the real test, but its a good sign.)

Ryan Tannehill says "what impresses (him) most" about Lamar Miller is the second-year back's improvement in pass protection. Miller has drawn praise from coach Joe Philbin for the same reason. "He's picking up pass protections a lot better," Tannehill said. "Now that he's got that, he's going to be a great player." NFL Network's LaDainian Tomlinson recently compared Miller to a "faster and more explosive" version of Dolphins 2012 starter Reggie Bush. Miller has mammoth fantasy breakout potential for 2013.

If the MIA coaching staff (and GM) didn't think L.Miller could handle a full workload they would've drafted a RB in the first 4 rnds and would've picked up a RB like Ahmad Bradshaw or someone in Free Agency. I'm not saying we should assume L.Miller will and can for certainty to carry a full work load. But lets not ignore the tea leaves that I just explained show the coaching staff is giving L.Miller every opportunity to handle a full workload. (Assuming he has improved his pass protection enough.)
I ignore all tealeaves picked from Rotoworld, as this story is. This is classic rotoworld hype because they are overvaluing a player and trying to justify that ranking. I just wish people would stop sourcing rotoworld when making some offseason justification for bumping a highly hyped guy's value even more than it already is. This guy has Tatum Bell written all over him.

Just saw this on Fantrax/Rotoworld. I guess this answers the question about Pass Protection somewhat. (Obviously with Pads and tackling is the real test, but its a good sign.)

Ryan Tannehill says "what impresses (him) most" about Lamar Miller is the second-year back's improvement in pass protection. Miller has drawn praise from coach Joe Philbin for the same reason. "He's picking up pass protections a lot better," Tannehill said. "Now that he's got that, he's going to be a great player." NFL Network's LaDainian Tomlinson recently compared Miller to a "faster and more explosive" version of Dolphins 2012 starter Reggie Bush. Miller has mammoth fantasy breakout potential for 2013.
Are we sure these aren't ploys to motivate Miller?

Not at all. I'm not even a big fan of his talent, but 250 carries combined with his speed I don't have a problem projecting 1200 rushing. Add in 20-30 catches and he's about 1400-1500 total yards. TD's are a tougher to project but I see somewhere between 5-10.

If you're expecting anything more than high RB2 numbers I think you'll be disappointed, but I think he's a very solid RB2 without much risk.

Rotoworld:

Only seven of Lamar Miller's 57 rookie-year touches came on third down.
In other words, 50 came on first and second down, good for a near 88-percent clip. It's why Ryan Tannehill and coach Joe Philbin's praise of Miller's improving pass protection is critical as he steps into Miami's lead back role. Rotoworld's Evan Silva broke down Miller's rookie game film in a column accessible at the link below. Despite a lack of physicality, Silva suggests Miller will offer top-15 fantasy running back upside in 2013.

Source: 2nd-year RBs: Lamar Miller

I understand being sceptical of Miller because he has proved exactly NOTHING yet in the NFL, least of all that he can come in this year and handle a full workload, after having a grand total of 57 touches last year. But we have seen that in fantasy, and particularly at RB, opportunity is huge, and this guy is in a brilliant situation to put up fantasy numbers. Hell, I remember Kahlil Bell helping me at the business end of the season a couple of years ago, just because he was in a position to get a bunch of carries. Miller has not much competition, it looks like he has the faith of his coaches, QB and organisation, and he has talent. Is his ADP too high? Maybe. But it reflects what a great situation he's in. I'd rather have him over a guy like Montee Ball, that's for sure.

I ignore all tealeaves picked from Rotoworld, as this story is. This is classic rotoworld hype because they are overvaluing a player and trying to justify that ranking. I just wish people would stop sourcing rotoworld when making some offseason justification for bumping a highly hyped guy's value even more than it already is. This guy has Tatum Bell written all over him.
That is crazy talk. Ask Matt Waldman (who studies more film then all of us posters combined.) He is not like Tatum Bell at all. Bad comparison IMO.

Excerpt:

It happens every fall. A player bursts onto the scene, makes a big play or helps his team win a pivotal game, and the collective football world celebrates his arrival as a true difference maker in the NFL. Let's get ahead of the curve! In advance of the 2013 season, NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks identifies candidates for significant improvement, concentrating on running backs below. Click here for other positions.

Most Improved Running Back for 2013: Lamar MillerMiller's backstory: The Dolphins landed one of the biggest steals in the 2012 NFL Draft when Miller inexplicably fell to the fourth round. In pre-draft evaluations, the former Miami standout was widely viewed as one of the top five running backs in the class, with some scouts seeing flashes of former NFL star Clinton Portis in his game. Miami was attracted to Miller's raw talent, but the presence of Reggie Bush and Daniel Thomas prompted the team to use the rookie selectively as a situational runner. Additionally, Miller's struggles with the playbook spawned concerns about his blitz awareness and pass blocking, preventing him from taking on a bigger role. Consequently, Miller logged just 51 rushes for 250 yards and a touchdown over 13 games.

Why he will improve in 2013: Most NFL players make the biggest jump in development between their first and second pro seasons. Part of the improvement can be attributed to a full offseason of training and conditioning under the watchful eye of a pro staff. Moreover, a young player has a better feel for the speed and tempo of the NFL game after logging a few snaps as a rookie.

For Miller, all of these factors undoubtedly will make him a better player as a first-time starter in 2013. When he occasionally displayed a disciplined running style in Year 1, the results were highly encouraging, as evidenced by the 22-yard scamper in the video just above. But inexperience begets inconsistency. Now, Miller understands how quickly holes close at the point of attack, which will lead to fewer moves in the backfield and a more decisive approach as a runner. This should result in fewer negative plays, which will keep the Dolphins' offense on track and ahead of the chains.

Miami's decision to upgrade its passing attack this offseason also will help Miller become a highly productive back in 2013. Last season, opponents crowded the line of scrimmage with eight defenders and dared the Dolphins to win with the pass. Without a legitimate deep threat on the outside or a credible playmaker between the hashes, the running lanes were clogged between the tackles. This should change with Mike Wallace, Dustin Keller and Brandon Gibson coming onboard.

Wallace is arguably the fastest receiver in the NFL, with the burst to run past defenders routinely on vertical routes. Keller and Gibson excel at exploiting voids over the middle, tempering the aggressiveness of linebackers and safeties. With the aerial attack keeping the second level of the defense at bay, Miller will find bigger lanes on draws and delays, like in the video to your right. The Dolphins needed more of these types of runs in 2012; they'll get them in 2013 with a more mature runner and a better supporting cast.

Impact on the team: Miller's ascension to the starting role has flown under the radar, but he will critical to the Dolphins' playoff hopes as the feature back for a vastly improved offense. There's a reason Miami didn't think twice about allowing Bush to depart in free agency -- this kid can play. If he can muster seven or more 100-yard games over the course of the season, the Dolphins will be a 10-win team in 2013.

Projected 2013 stat line: 250 carries, 1,250 rushing yards, 10 touchdowns; 35 receptions, 400 receiving yards.

His adp is rising fast! Reminds me of Doug Martin last year. Makes me wish I had gotten in on some early drafts this year when he was going a full round or two earlier than today. Bigger gamble now as RB21.

He is available in my 16 spot roster salary cap dynasty league. Minimum salary and I can contract him for 3 years at this level.

Im thinking he is worth taking at 1.01 in that format, but I only have 1.07 and 1.11.

Receiving yards worth more than rushing yards. thinking teaming him up with Reggie Bush would make me very solid, with Wilson as a flex.

Lamar Miller turning heads as Gore mentors; Oden update; Marlins, Canes tidbits

Barry Jackson

Excerpt:

So this is what your new Dolphins starting running back is doing while much of the NFL vacations:

Running. Lifting. Squatting. Sled-pulling. Pushing to validate every ounce of faith the Dolphins have placed in their gifted young back.

What makes the monotonous grind more pleasurable for Lamar Miller is that he is doing it alongside his friend and fellow Hurricane, Frank Gore.

“The way Lamar is learning from Frank, it’s a beautiful thing,” Steelers linebacker Sean Spence, another former Cane, said this week.

Gore’s mentoring of Miller has been one of the neater Dolphins-flavored stories of the summer, the four-time Pro Bowler and 49ers star taking the second-year protege under his wing. They work out together twice a day – with a group of other NFL players in the morning in North Miami Beach, and just the two of them, with a trainer, on a Davie field at night.

“Since Lamar started gravitating toward Frank, his work ethic and mentality are unparalleled,” said Pete Bommarito, who runs the highly-regarded Bommarito Performance Systems, where Gore, Miller and many other NFL players train during offseason mornings.

Miller, who almost assuredly will replace Detroit-bound Reggie Bush as Miami’s starter, began spending a lot of time around Gore a couple of months ago, at the suggestion of their agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Bommarito said Gore helped show Miller “how to take care of his body, what to do beyond what is required.”

Gore has noticed another change since they became workout buddies: “His footwork got a lot better."

Privately, the Dolphins believe Miller can be not merely a good starting back, but a great one.

“He’s the fastest running back I’ve ever seen,” said Bommarito, who has trained dozens of them, including Maurice Jones-Drew.

What’s more, Miller said he’s even faster than the player who averaged 4.9 yards on 51 carries as a rookie.

“I’ve gotten quicker doing lateral work, and I’ve become more explosive by training every day doing squats on my legs,” he said.

“[And] I’m stronger. Last year, I was kind of lost getting adjusted to the speed of the game and knowing where I’m supposed to be at all times. Now I’m very comfortable with the system.”

Gore said of the elite UM backs of the past 20 years – Edgerrin James, himself, Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee, Miller – “Lamar is probably the fastest. He reminds me of Portis.”

Teammates, impressed with Miller’s improvement in his pass protection, believe he’s ready for the more prominent role that awaits.

Olivier Vernon, Miller’s Dolphins and former UM teammate, compares him to Tennessee’s Chris Johnson, who ran for 2006 yards in 2009. Philip Wheeler said “he’s really good. Speedy, and that’s what we need.”

“He’s just so smooth,” Matt Moore said. "As shifty as Lamar is, he's more of a downhill guy than Reggie. His nature is to go north and south.... You can see during walkthroughs that his leadership has stepped up. He has grabbed it."

Brian Hartline jokes he has a “man crush” on Miller, while also expressing affection for backup Daniel Thomas.

“And he’s a good kid,” Gore said. “We motivate each other.”

The relationship is especially meaningful for Miller because of their common roots. Both starred in high school locally: Gore at Coral Gables, Miller at Killian.

“We grew up in the same neighborhood – he’s just 10, 15 minutes away from me,” Miller said. “I used to look up to all the UM running backs growing up because that’s where I wanted to go. I want to keep the legacy of the University of Miami going.

“It has been great working with Frank, and it is going to help me in my game. He has given me a lot of tips.”

As they work side by side in the evening, Gore reminds Miller that most players around the league aren't doing anything like this on a July night --- traditionally a vacation period for many players -- and how that will give him a leg up on the competition, some way, some how, once the games begin.

Is it safe to say Lamar Miller should be ranked above all of the rookie RBs this year? (He might be available in one of my keeper leagues...)

Is it safe to say Lamar Miller should be ranked above all of the rookie RBs this year? (He might be available in one of my keeper leagues...)
I wouldn't call it safe, myself. I think he's in that mix. He's a young, talented player with a clear path to touches. He wasn't a perfect prospect, and doesn't have an NFL track record. That sounds a lot like Ball, Lacy, Bell to me.

For 2013 do you guys prefer Lamar miller or David Wilson?
Tough call. I like Wilson's upside more, in a much better offense. But I think Brown is a bigger threat than anyone on Miami's roster. I'd take Wilson, but I can see both sides of the argument.

His adp is rising fast! Reminds me of Doug Martin last year. Makes me wish I had gotten in on some early drafts this year when he was going a full round or two earlier than today. Bigger gamble now as RB21.
This is why I love early drafts. You can swoop in and draft players before the hype train left the station.

Got Miller in the 6th round of our 10 person draft a few weeks ago. He's my RB3.

One source of dynasty rankings out there has only Giovani Bernard ranked ahead of Lamar Miller while another has Bernard, Bell, and Ball ahead of him.

I can see making a case for him as a better option over any of the 2013 rookie RB class, as he has some (limited) NFL film on him and seems to be primed for a breakout year as the top RB for the Dolphins, and I love what I am hearing about his attitude and work ethic this offseason.

Miller was considered last year as a top 3 RB talent and he fell into the fourth round over injury concerns, pass protection concerns, and concerns that he was a one trick pony with just pure speed to his game. This offseason seems to be taking care of mitigating the majority of these issues.

Making the leap, No. 20: Miami Dolphins' Lamar Miller

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

(click on the link to see the related video clips)

Around The League will profile the top 40 players we see Making the Leap in 2013. No. 20 on the list: Miami Dolphins RB Lamar Miller.

Why Miller is on the listMiller led all running backs at the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine with a 4.40 40-yard dash, but fell to the fourth round due to a pre-draft shoulder surgery among other -- more specious -- concerns. Healthy by training camp, Miller quickly impressed as the top big-play threat in the Dolphins' backfield. He finished an inconsistent rookie year with 250 yards at 4.90 yards per rush on 51 carries.

Although billed as a home-run threat, Miller also showed good balance and ran with more authority on the interior than expected. He has an impressive initial burst through the hole, excellent change-of-direction and the ability to inflict damage on the perimeter once he accelerates.

Coach Joe Philbin thought enough of Miller's pass-catching potential to suggest that he could eventually line up at wide receiver. Although Miller hauled in just six receptions as a rookie, he showed reliable hands as well as the ability to make the first defender miss and break tackles after the catch.

Relegated to third-string running back while he learned the playbook, checkdowns and pass protections for the majority of the season, Miller seemed to have earned the coaching staff's trust by December. By January, the front office was willing to let Reggie Bush walk because the team viewed Miller as a bigger, faster, better version.

ObstaclesNFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock cautioned that Miller "doesn't show up" on third down, in short-yardage or at the goal line on his college tape. The same held true for Miller's rookie season due to pass-protection concerns, a lack of physicality and questionable hole selection.

I charted Miller with 20 of 51 attempts (nearly 40 percent) at two yards or less last season. Much like an early-career C.J. Spiller or a late-model Chris Johnson, there's a boom-or-bust aspect to his game. When he trusted his blocking and stayed inside, he enjoyed success. Too often, though, he hesitated to read the hole and broke outside in search of the big play.

While Miller is viewed as the clear favorite, he still must separate from 2011 second-round draft pick Daniel Thomas. To do so, Miller will have to prove that he's an all-around back, capable of picking up key first downs inside the trenches and protecting Tannehill on passing downs.

2013 ExpectationsWhen you keep your ear to the NFL ground long enough, you develop an instinct for unproven players on the verge of success. It starts with a quiet confidence emanating from all corners of the organization. The front office creates an opportunity by shipping out the veteran place-holder, all the while singing the upstart's praises. The coaches note an increasing mental acuity that will enable the developing player to progress once placed in a featured role. Teammates and beat writers begin ramping up expectations.

Miller doesn't have Spiller's electrifying, nonpareil lateral agility, but the two backs share many of the same strengths and weaknesses. The most obvious strength is the insane speed to take an opening to the house. Perhaps it's no coincidence that the biggest weakness is a tendency to look for the big play when the situation dictates otherwise.

Miller is aiming for 1,500 rushing yards and five yards per carry this season. It's not an unreasonable goal. A more realistic one is outpacing Bush's two-year Miami average of 1,330 yards from scrimmage.

Follow Chris Wesseling on Twitter @ChrisWesseling.

One source of dynasty rankings out there has only Giovani Bernard ranked ahead of Lamar Miller while another has Bernard, Bell, and Ball ahead of him.

I can see making a case for him as a better option over any of the 2013 rookie RB class, as he has some (limited) NFL film on him and seems to be primed for a breakout year as the top RB for the Dolphins, and I love what I am hearing about his attitude and work ethic this offseason.

Miller was considered last year as a top 3 RB talent and he fell into the fourth round over injury concerns, pass protection concerns, and concerns that he was a one trick pony with just pure speed to his game. This offseason seems to be taking care of mitigating the majority of these issues.
We really don't (and will never) know exactly

why he fell so far in the draft. It's entirely possible / likely that teams just didn't think he was that good.

Also, offseason coachspeak should be taken with a giant grain of salt IMO. Pretty much every player in the NFL looks great this time of year per official sources. Miller should have opportunity -- but that's as far we should take things IMO.

Coeur de Lion said:
Faust said:

We really don't (and will never) know exactly

why he fell so far in the draft. It's entirely possible / likely that teams just didn't think he was that good.

Also, offseason coachspeak should be taken with a giant grain of salt IMO. Pretty much every player in the NFL looks great this time of year per official sources. Miller should have opportunity -- but that's as far we should take things IMO.
Good points. While we won't ever know with 100% certainty as to why he fell, it is reasonably safe to speculate that there are a number of likely reasons, including what Mayock commented on (which had some hints to the questions on his complete game and overall skills):

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock cautioned that Miller "doesn't show up" on third down, in short-yardage or at the goal line on his college tape. The same held true for Miller's rookie season due to pass-protection concerns, a lack of physicality and questionable hole selection.
I also agree that coach speak can be very overblown, especially during the pad-less practices in "shorts and shells", but it isn't completely useless either. It is nice to hear that they feel that he has improved in his pass protection skills, which is critical to securing the starting job. I also like hearing that he is using his time off in July to work at his craft with Frank Gore, who is legendary in his off-season training and preparation, so it sounds like he gets what it takes to claim and hold onto a starting job in the NFL.

I also like what is communicated with what the Dolphins have done in the off-season, which was to let Bush walk, and they didn't draft any RBs who would be a serious threat to Miller for the starting job. Add all these things up, and you see why the hype is building on this player. The trick now is to secure him for fair value and to not let the remaining questions and concerns be overlooked, so that you don't buy too excessively into the hype. The offensive line and gelling of the offense are still legitimate questions at this moment in time, and a lot remains to be proven on both Miller's improving skills and Tannehill's ability to take his game to the next level.

I also like what is communicated with what the Dolphins have done in the off-season, which was to let Bush walk, and they didn't draft any RBs who would be a serious threat to Miller for the starting job. Add all these things up, and you see why the hype is building on this player. The trick now is to secure him for fair value and to not let the remaining questions and concerns be overlooked, so that you don't buy too excessively into the hype. The offensive line and gelling of the offense are still legitimate questions at this moment in time, and a lot remains to be proven on both Miller's improving skills and Tannehill's ability to take his game to the next level.
This is the sort of thing that I see as having the most merit. As it stands, Miller doesn't just have a clear path as the top RB on MIA, he's already there. Anything else is speculation about why he fell in the draft, what his durability will actually be, what role the other RBs will have, etc. which aren't easily answered. But he's clearly at the top of the pecking order, which carries quite a bit of weight when it comes to value. Bush surprised me quite a bit with the success he had in MIA and I don't think Miller is as good as Bush, but I also think Miller has a better environment (Tannehill with a year, Mike Wallace, Philbin's second year installing his philosophy). The only thing that would temper my enthusiasm on Miller would be if Thomas miraculously started being who MIA drafted in the first place. But I don't see that happening, so I'm bullish on Miller.

To auction players, what do you think this guy's value is right now? 8-12 dollar range? Over 15? Over 20??
I would say similar to Martin. Around 30 dollars in a 200 dollar non keeper league.
That's insane. Martin and Trent are probably going for about the same amount in auctions, but Miller should be falling behind them by a decent margin.
Agree. $200 cap I would say Martin and Richardson should be going for $45-55, while Miller should probably be had for $20-25.

That OLine is not good. The QB is supposed to get better in his "sophomore" year. They now have a deep threat that might be awesome, and a few other decent wrs.

I still want to draft him, but I am nervous about the team itself. I like the upside of the rookies.

By draft day, this will sort itself out.

Users who are viewing this thread