What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Late round players with high upside (1 Viewer)

Jarius Wright!
I'm nabbing this guy where ever I can.
Christian Ponder takes the snap, fakes the handoff to Adrian Peterson (1st option) and looks downfield. Greg Jennings (2nd option) is covered like a blanket, Kyle Rudolph (3rd option) is also covered, Jerome Simpson (4th option) has a man all over him, electric rookie Cordarelle Patterson (5th option) can't get separation, but look....Jarius Wright is WIDE OPEN and Ponder tosses the ball 5 yards over his head! Oh my, that could've been a 6 yard gain.

I actually like Wright, but I just don't see how he can be anymore than a WR5 in a 16 team PPR.
Basically what I said a few posts earlier but more fun to read and then think, "Yeah, Wright is worthless"
Yeah, i'm sure that is how plays are called in the NFL.

Adrian I'm going to get you the ball but if that doesn't work out Greg I'll be looking at you next. Now if that doesn't go as planned Kyle be ready. Jerome you are my least talanted but they have you listed as the second receiver on the depth chart and all the fantasy football coaches expect me to throw to you so if Kyle is not open you are next. Now Cordaelle you have no idea how to run routes yet but we drafted you high and we don't really care about winning games so of course you will be next in line. Oh yeah, lets not forget about you Jarius, you made a nice showing last year and you have been lighting up camp and the coaches love you because you run impeccable routes and your skills are as close to Percy's that we have on the team but those same fantasy football coaches think you will be the sixth target so that is what you will be.

I'll remember to come back here mid-season and give you guys my best told you so smirk.
That is actually how it works bud. Each play has its one route that it focuses on. And if that guy is not open, the QB checks down to the next guy and so on. It isn't like Madden where you just run and random route and look for an open guy. In real life, each play is designed for a specific purpose. One of the routes is the first look and the rest are mostly routes to complement that route and help its effectiveness.
Exactly pal and you think every play/down is the same. You don't think that there will ever be plays/downs that are specifically called that Jarius Wright will be the first option?

I'm a big fan of identifying 2nd year (not third) WRs with breakout potential. Here's why I like Wright:

Good rookie production in limited time. 7 starts, 22 catches, 310 yards (14 ypc), 2 TDs. Pro-rated production: 50 catches, 708 yds, 4 TDs. That's the kind of stat line I look for in rookies that have a chance to break out in their second year. He won't fully replace Harvin, but he's likely have a similar role. Sure, there's no guarantee on this, but that's what makes him a sleeper. He won't be a WR1, but with some development and a true role in the offense from OTAs forward, he could easily surpass his game averages of last year to become a legit WR2. If Jennings can be a deep threat, there will be a lot of room over the middle for a slot type player to operate.
So he had 7 starts last year. How many starts do you project in 2013?
I think you probably already know he meant he played in only 7 games last year.
No, I don't know much about Wright, but I get where the other guys are coming from. I'm assuming from johnadams that Wright started in place of Harvin last year after Harvin's injury. This year he'll be back on the bench behind Jennings and Simpson and maybe Patterson. I feel like there's nothing to see here. I mean, this is Minnesota. The WR2 probably doesn't matter, much less the WR3.
I can pretty much guarantee he will get more targets than Simpson and most probably the extremely raw Patterson.

Jarius Wright!
I'm nabbing this guy where ever I can.
Christian Ponder takes the snap, fakes the handoff to Adrian Peterson (1st option) and looks downfield. Greg Jennings (2nd option) is covered like a blanket, Kyle Rudolph (3rd option) is also covered, Jerome Simpson (4th option) has a man all over him, electric rookie Cordarelle Patterson (5th option) can't get separation, but look....Jarius Wright is WIDE OPEN and Ponder tosses the ball 5 yards over his head! Oh my, that could've been a 6 yard gain.

I actually like Wright, but I just don't see how he can be anymore than a WR5 in a 16 team PPR.
Basically what I said a few posts earlier but more fun to read and then think, "Yeah, Wright is worthless"
Yeah, i'm sure that is how plays are called in the NFL.

Adrian I'm going to get you the ball but if that doesn't work out Greg I'll be looking at you next. Now if that doesn't go as planned Kyle be ready. Jerome you are my least talanted but they have you listed as the second receiver on the depth chart and all the fantasy football coaches expect me to throw to you so if Kyle is not open you are next. Now Cordaelle you have no idea how to run routes yet but we drafted you high and we don't really care about winning games so of course you will be next in line. Oh yeah, lets not forget about you Jarius, you made a nice showing last year and you have been lighting up camp and the coaches love you because you run impeccable routes and your skills are as close to Percy's that we have on the team but those same fantasy football coaches think you will be the sixth target so that is what you will be.

I'll remember to come back here mid-season and give you guys my best told you so smirk.
That is actually how it works bud. Each play has its one route that it focuses on. And if that guy is not open, the QB checks down to the next guy and so on. It isn't like Madden where you just run and random route and look for an open guy. In real life, each play is designed for a specific purpose. One of the routes is the first look and the rest are mostly routes to complement that route and help its effectiveness.
Exactly pal and you think every play/down is the same. You don't think that there will ever be plays/downs that are specifically called that Jarius Wright will be the first option?
Not specifically for HIM, but specifically for his WR position (X, Y or Z). So ya if he is the Y receiver and happens to be on the field when a pass play where the Z is the first look, then ya. Jennings is the X. When Wright is on the field during the 3 wr set, I am sure he is the Y.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two Deep said:
FF Ninja said:
Two Deep said:
FF Ninja said:
I'm a big fan of identifying 2nd year (not third) WRs with breakout potential. Here's why I like Wright:

Good rookie production in limited time. 7 starts, 22 catches, 310 yards (14 ypc), 2 TDs. Pro-rated production: 50 catches, 708 yds, 4 TDs. That's the kind of stat line I look for in rookies that have a chance to break out in their second year. He won't fully replace Harvin, but he's likely have a similar role. Sure, there's no guarantee on this, but that's what makes him a sleeper. He won't be a WR1, but with some development and a true role in the offense from OTAs forward, he could easily surpass his game averages of last year to become a legit WR2. If Jennings can be a deep threat, there will be a lot of room over the middle for a slot type player to operate.
So he had 7 starts last year. How many starts do you project in 2013?
I think you probably already know he meant he played in only 7 games last year.
No, I don't know much about Wright, but I get where the other guys are coming from. I'm assuming from johnadams that Wright started in place of Harvin last year after Harvin's injury. This year he'll be back on the bench behind Jennings and Simpson and maybe Patterson. I feel like there's nothing to see here. I mean, this is Minnesota. The WR2 probably doesn't matter, much less the WR3.
I can pretty much guarantee he will get more targets than Simpson and most probably the extremely raw Patterson.
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leading the team in receptions. Jennings is overrated but will likely draw the top corner, Simpson sucks. Patterson is raw.

I wouldn't take him high, but we're discussing DEEP sleepers here.

ETA: maybe he doesn't have "high upside" (depending how you define that) but certainly can be relevant in most leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread